I need a discount, I need a discount, I need a di-di-di-di-di-di-discount

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: I need a discount, I need a discount, I need a di-di-di-di-di-di-discount
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Sye on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:34 pm:

So I went and saw this band on Saturday. TOTALLY not what I was expecting.

Listen here.

Listen to "Discount." It's fabulous.

They're gonna be big. Just wait.

By Sye on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:35 pm:

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:44 pm:

oh god i love it.

LOVE IT.

love it.

love it.

love

it.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:48 pm:

i'm sorry, that was unfair. maybe i just shouldn't have said anything.

By Sye on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 05:03 pm:

why not?

By dave. on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 05:30 pm:

this bbs is now 100% snark free.

DIDN'T ANYONE GET THE FUCKING MEMO!?

i'll check it out later, sye. but i'm wary of songs with di-di-di-di-di-di-discount in the lyrics.

nate.

By Nate on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:03 pm:

sye, it just sounded like trite, trite shit music to me. radio ready, formula crap.

sorry.

i'm a bitter old man.

By patrick on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:15 pm:

sye, i actually share nates opinion thought im not bitter

the sound like christian rock or something?

By Gee on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 11:39 pm:

I enjoy Burt Bacharach.

my shameful pleasure.

we still like You, though, Sye. that's not so shameful.

By Nate on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:35 am:

there is nothing shameful about burt. burt bacharach jumps time signatures mid song. he is a actually a musician, not a couple of guys who grew up on radio and decided they could do it too.

By Sye on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:06 pm:

wow, i guess i'm more mainstream than i think.

They were really fun to watch live, I guess that brainwashed me into thinking they sounded better than some.

Eh, I still need a discount.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 01:52 pm:

do you see lots of live music?

i've noticed that when i havent seen live music in sometime, just the sheer liveness of an otherwise mediocre band will perhaps allow me to enjoy otherwise craptastic tunes.

By Sye on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 02:46 pm:

No, I don't get to see it that often. I haven't seen anyone since I saw Rascal Flatts live the first week of November. I love them to death, so they don't count. I haven't seen any locals since 2001, I think. Very deprived.

By wisper on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 07:13 pm:

I know christian rock when i hear it, and this is indeed IT.
    always just a little too weak to be radio pop. Like it's not quite done yet....

Hint 1) 4 of them listed the Bible as their fave book

Hint 2) reading the lyrics, they have the standard songs that only sound like actual love songs, but are really about giving up to god. The way to tell when a love song is aimed at god is if the person they are singing to is reffered to only as "you", instead of "girl" "baby" or "honey". Also the song will never contain anything sexual, and will usually include lyrics about light or being lifted up.

Hint 3)reading their message board, yes, they are indeed keen on jesus:

"Recently, there has been more and more people looking at the website since I have actually been playing places. Because of that, I have decided to reserve a place here so you can tell us what is going on between you and God at this time in your life.
    -Chris"

yup, i knows it when i sees it.
    See also: Creed, Evanescence.

By eri on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:16 pm:

Funny that you should mention Evanescence. Very BIG BIG BIG in pagan circles out here.........

By wisper on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:53 am:

that's friggen sad.

By eri on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:41 am:

Sad but funny. Besides, I have written off most of them anyways. I don't like people who talk the talk but when push comes to shove don't walk the walk.....geez did that sound cliche, but whatever.

Sad but funny coming from a group that talk about the voices in their heads!

By Gee on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:52 pm:

Evanescence is christian rock?

By Sye on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:34 pm:

So is POD
    and Puddle of Mud.

And no wonder so many young'uns were at the concert. The parents that were milling around should have been a dead giveaway.

They were so playing at the wrong club.
    They should have been playing at the Door, a club in our "night out district" for those seeking a sound message and wholesome fun.

I think the best part of the show was the hari-krishna wannabes outside in toboggans and baggie jeans. That was great.

By wisper on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:16 pm:

POD goes without saying. They even play them on the christian TV network here.
    So is Sixpence None The Richer, but they only had one hit, so it doesn't matter.

Some bands will deny it for publicity sake, no matter how obvious (like goddamn Creed and Evanescence) and say that they're just "very spiritual". This is another sure sign of a jesus band.
    In the case of Evanescence, don't get me started. Even though they will go out of their way to say they're not a christian band (because jesus love don't sell main stream records to wanna-goths!) every member is in fact born-again christian.

And I'd just like to add that the chick can't fucking sing.

"The parents that were milling around"
    **dingdingdingding** That's the god rock alarm!

By Gee on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:11 pm:

I tried so hard not to like Evanescence. I know she can't sing, all their songs sound the same, and they're so freakin trite.

but in the end, I couldn't help myself. I like them.

my other (perhaps more) shameful pleasure.

By Gee on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:14 pm:

I misplaced my comma.

By Dani on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:42 am:

You did?

By wisper on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:56 am:

I got yer comma right HERE

By Gee on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 01:35 pm:

hey, thanks!

By J on Tuesday, January 4, 2005 - 01:25 pm:

Ticketmaster is evil and should be destroyed!

By V on Wednesday, January 5, 2005 - 02:50 am:

nukes?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact