Frank Zappa

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Frank Zappa
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By V on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 02:52 pm:

What do Frank Zappa and Lithuania have in common? Nothing.But that hasnt stopped Vilnius from erecting a monument to the late great rock legend.The four-meter-high Zappa bust,at Kalinausko 1 (C-4) in the city centre,was unveiled in 1995 after intense lobbying by Zappamaniacs.The zany iconoclast,who died several years ago of cancer at the age of 52,achieved cult status in much of the former Communist bloc for his anti-establishment themes.He allegedly intended to visit Lithuania before he died,or so his fans say.Some older Lithuanians thought the idea of a monument to a quirky American rock star with a penchant for four-letter word lyrics was,at best,nuts.The monument is said to be the first and only one dedicated to Zappa anywhere in the world.

By V on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 03:01 pm:

By V on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 03:14 pm:

He had two children,Dweezil and Moon Unit.

By Antigone on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:51 am:

And weasels ripped his flesh.

By V on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:18 pm:

Not as far as I know,but its a cool way to die.Myself I want to be eaten by giant Japanese lobsters,they eat arms and legs as snacks,an live 9000 foot down off the coast of Japan.

By kazu on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:33 pm:

Frank Zappa had four children, Moon Unit, Dweezil,
    Ahmet Rodan and Diva.

By V on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

...YOU JUST ADDED TWO EXTRA ONES ON FOR FUN!!!

By Antigone on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:17 pm:

I heard he was goin' to Montana soon.
    Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

By kazu on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:25 pm:

Ahmet is married to Selma Blair.

By kazu on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:26 pm:

First I'll buy some beads
    And then perhaps a leather band
    To go around my head
    Some feathers and bells
    And a book of Indian lore

By jack on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:31 pm:

is that a real poncho?

By droopy on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 06:52 pm:

i think the bruce lee statue in mostar, bosnia has a more surreal quality.

watch out where the huskies go
    and don't you eat that yellow snow

By Antigone on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 01:57 am:

My mom interviewed Zappa once. From '71-'73 she was the rock critic for the Dallas Times Hearald, a now sadly defunct paper. Anyway, I grew up with a Zappa back stage pass on my bedroom dresser. :)

By dave. on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 03:35 am:

never liked zappa's music. too conceited.

yeah, it's clever. yeah, great band. yeah, great advocate for anti-censorship.

but i don't like smug. smugness should be the 8th deadly sin. zappa was all smug, all the time.

By semillama on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 10:02 am:

Not true.

Watermelon In Easter Hay is not smug in the least.

nor is How Could I Be Such A Fool?

although a great many others do have a certain smugness to them, and I can understand how that would turn dave. off.

V, Ahmet is indeed a Zappa, he had a band with Dweezil called "Z". They were alright.

By V on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 06:11 pm:

sem,as you may know,I get info from odd places,Baltic states,Russia,Siberia,and I did miss out two kids.I will go to Lithuania soon,and try to put the record on track as regarding kids.

By V on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 06:35 pm:

dave,hi,...v regarded many pop stars as conceited,The Beatles The Stones,Jimi Hendrix,Marc Bolen,Zappa,Rainbow,Genesus,Pink F.,Free,Elton John,10 cc,but most of all...Queen,and I was so wrong to to not understand genius when I got within 6 foot of it,and I did most times,and I am proud of that,to get so close your bones vibrate,and you go deaf for 6 hours,amazing.

By V on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 07:12 pm:

Anti,I wish your Mom was my Mom,you are so lucky.My Mom spoke soothing words to me in Polish,but forgot I only speak Russian,Lithuanian,English,and just a tad of Greek,Latin,Yiddish,German,French and Swedish,so my childhood was shit.With great respect to my Mother,it was like listening to a fax machine on the phone.Sad but true.

By V on Monday, August 1, 2005 - 08:40 pm:

Anti,take this at face value,its happened.To this day,I cant speak Polish.,allthough I all most dated a Polish Gothic girl,she was soooo good looking,but is there not some Sorabji law that prevents us from discussing our sex lives?...I mean,I could tell you about her leather fetish,lack of underclothing,hugh breasts,but dont we have some Sorabji by-law that wont permit that kind of posting?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact