"Oh, Canada"

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: "Oh, Canada"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By YD on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 09:40 am:
    And I'm not even Cannuckish. Please make it stop.

By Dave on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 10:06 am:
    I prefer the old Subhumans version, O Canaduh. Faithfully covered by NoMeansNo.

By Freep on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 10:54 am:
    Until that Yoko Ono came in and split the band. And probably the country, too, the way things are going.

By Reasons To Nuke Canada on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 07:14 pm:
    1. Celine Dion
    2. Rush
    3. Corey Hart
    4. Brian Adams
    5. Loverboy
    6. Alanis Morrissette
    7. Gordon Lightfoot
    8. Men Without Hats
    9. The Guess Who
    10. Rush (again)

By Wisper on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 04:20 pm:
    A few months ago David Letterman was doing his opening monolog, and for some reason I can't remember he got the band to play "Oh Canada", which they did, Paul being Canadian and all (actually, he grew up not far from where I live.) Anyway, after they finished Dave said -compleatly seriously- "ya'know, I think that's probably one of the best songs ever written." most of the audience clappped, but a few lone souls on the balcony booed, to which Dave replied (in true Dave form) "ah yes, America, where you can speak your mind freely...... and are always sure to get booed." Of course it was much more brilliant the way he said it.
    My father tells me that back when his show started (and was only popular by cult-television standards in the 80's,) he got the band to play it once or twice every night for a week, just because he likes it so much.

By Cthulu on Monday, March 30, 1998 - 12:47 pm:
    Dave has good taste. Long live the pants!

By Markus on Monday, March 30, 1998 - 01:18 pm:
    Just saw the movie "French Kiss" again last night, and I swear the highlight of that movie is the Canadian consular officer in Paris.

Here's some Canadian jokes for ya:

How do you get 31 Canadians out of the pool?
    Say, "Would ya please get out of the pool?"

How many Canadians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    One. Ya just go down to the hardware store, buy a new one, and use it to replace the old one, eh?

Oh, and I started watching Letterman in 1983, and he was 1) widely popular, and 2) never played national anthems that I ever heard.

By Dave on Monday, March 30, 1998 - 05:41 pm:
    Remember when Chris Elliot was the guy under the stairs? I think that was the only time he was ever funny.

By Matt on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 02:26 am:

Hey canadians are smart. We made the telephone and basketball man. and david letterman is classic, that guy is just amazing. and he likes canada alot, he actually vacations in the country sometimes, which is alright to hear i suppose. Id still rather watch Mike Bullard.

Matt

By semillama on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 02:47 pm:

Alexander Graham Bell was Canadian? And he invented the telepone in Canada? Funny, I don't remember that. Same with basketball.

Were you making a joke?

Sometimes I don't know if i should take seriously these things thta people say when they appear out of the blue.

By pez on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 06:58 pm:

actually, i think bell was an immigrant. and a scot. but he did vacation in canada. and moved there in his later years.

By The Dinner Lady on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 11:56 pm:

The first telephone was made here in Boston. There is a marker on the spot where he said 'Watson, get in here' or whatever he said. Don't know where Bell was from originally though but I do know the phone was here.

By semillama on Monday, October 2, 2000 - 01:17 pm:

Bell was born in Scotland, emigrated to the US, and invented the telephone with the aid of Watson in Boston. He also founded the National Geographic Society.
    Hooray!

By semillama on Monday, October 2, 2000 - 01:21 pm:

Plus, Basketball was invented in Springfield Massachussetts in 1891.

Get it right, Canadian!

By JusMiceElf on Monday, October 2, 2000 - 01:53 pm:

That's right, dammit! Although I don't think that the slam dunk was invented here. They're working on the new Hall of Fame right now; I drive past it every day on my way to work.

By pez on Monday, October 2, 2000 - 07:19 pm:

i was right! gimme 5, sem!

By Gee on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:12 pm:

basketball was invented by a canadian priest, Semillama. wherever he lived/worked, he was canadian.

who invented the telegraph?

we also claim insulin and half of Superman.

By Edgy on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:44 am:

O.K., Let's get this right.
    Basketball was invented in Massechussetts by Canadian-born James Naismith.
    The telephone was invented by Scottish-born Alexander Graham Bell in Canada, but was first tested and patented in the United States.
    Also, you're welcome for Insulin and Zippers.

By moonit on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 06:07 am:

I forgot America's obession to be the first. The best.

*yawn*

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:11 am:

I agree. America spends too much effort on not keeping up with the Jones' but beating them out in their minds, being faster and more advanced. Whatever. There are a lot of wonderful inventions that American's claim as theirs when they are not, crazy. Some of our favorite actors and actresses are not American, but Canadian. Anyways, I hear Canada is beautiful and fully intend to go visit one day.

By dave. on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:43 am:

oh canaduh.

i really like canada. i haven't seen the eastern cities but i really like the victoria/vancouver area. you'd think it wouldn't be much different from here but it's way different. i'd expatriate if they'd have me.

By dave. on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:44 am:

click the link at the bottom of the page if it gives you any guff.

By heather on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

boy that dave is tricky

By moonit on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

Nah see we have the same problems with Australians (Cat) stealing our stuff too. Like Footrot Flats and Pavalova.

: )

By New Zealander in Italy on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:23 am:

Thank God someone has said it! Pavalova did originate in New Zealand. Those aussies don't know shit, they will even make up evidence to say pavalova originated in their country

By Celina on Wednesday, June 9, 2004 - 09:10 pm:

IM A CANADIAN AND IM PROUND OF IT!!!! IF YOU NUKE CANADA YOU NUKE THE WHOLE GOD DAMN FREAKING NORTH AMERICAN CONTINNET!!!! SO I GUESS IF YOU WANT TO BLOW-UP OUR HOME NUKE US!!!

CELINA

By Spider on Wednesday, June 9, 2004 - 09:28 pm:

Crazy.

By TBone on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:42 am:

Continnet. I like that.

By K on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:04 pm:

Yea, it has a certain "ring" to it...

By Mik on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 03:52 pm:

go the pav!!! dam aussies they tried to steal the buzzy bee as well

By Agent D on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 12:00 am:

I am a virgin,but jerk off a lot

By Agent D on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 01:17 am:

The person typing "Agent D" isn't the real person,He/She is Jealous of Agent D.

By Agent D on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 01:31 am:

Ok, Hey Dave!!! Yes I remember Chris Elliot, Indeed, He so funny, but what ever happens to him??? and ,for those of you bickering,can't you guys get along with each other???? And Celina,please make a note; blame it on Germany for causing the trouble with the Japanese on nuclear materials. and remember if you Canadian captured Germany's U-235 (a submarine)before the American do.. None of this happens. and it is possible that can be preventable :-)

By Agent D on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:24 pm:

Agent D,I have an amazing ass,it can talk.

By Dave on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 10:53 pm:

I expect you do indeed jerk off a lot.

By Agent D on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:13 pm:

Dave is a jerk..... The last "Agent D" post wasn't mine....

By V on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:00 pm:

No,Dave is a smart guy,v happens to respect his postings.Now him and v have a few small wars now and then,but at the end of the day,Dave is smart,in fact he is one of the few Sorabjis that has a brain.,and he makes me laugh with his comments,how can I hate such a guy?

By V on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:07 pm:

Agent D,do you post and jerk off at the same time?

By V on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:10 pm:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

By V on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 12:36 am:

Agent D,can you post a pic of yourself jerking off?we want to see it.

By e. on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 01:22 am:

i haf a brane

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact