Reckoner

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Reckoner
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

ever since i saw radiohead last week on their last night of the tour at the santa barbara bowl i've been binging on RH. it was THE greatest concert ive ever seen, truly. in an outdoor ampitheatre with views of the sea that holds 4500 people max, the setting was phenomenal.

it was my first time seeing them, admittedly, but it was a religious experiences of sorts... like being in church. the crowd sang along to the favorites, karma police et al; and if the lighting designer didnt get some trade award, well, thats just wrong.

whoa, there's youtube of the event
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByICpoLgQ94

By Spider on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 09:02 pm:

OhmygodIamsoJEALOUS.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 - 11:03 pm:

DUDE

By patrick on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 12:50 pm:

i know, right.

next up nick cave, cat power and spiritualized at the hollywood bowl in 3 weeks. box seats...i.e. about 15 feet from the stage.

By Nate on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 02:32 pm:

i just saw them at the outside lands festival in SF. it was excellent, even with the cheesy technical difficulties (the PAs cut out twice, mid-song). the lighting was amazing.

i think their show at the berkeley greek in june of 2006 was the greatest concert i've ever seen.

yay radiohead.

By Spider on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 04:01 pm:

Do you remember their set list? Did they play "Sail to the Moon"? Or "Videotape" (which is much better on the live bootlegs I've heard than on the album)?

By patrick on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

i have to admit spider, i dont know the names of songs so much so i cant really say. they played two shows in LA before going to Santa barbara and they played a cover of neil young's tell me why. they did not play that in SB, which I am sad.

By Nate on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 05:16 pm:

they played videotape at outside lands.

1. 15 Step
    2. Reckoner
    3. Airbag (sound cut out briefly)
    4. There There
    5. All I Need (sound cut out)
    6. Nude
    7. Talk Show Host
    8. National Anthem
    9. The Gloaming
    10. Videotape
    11. Weird Fishes
    12. Idioteque
    13. Karma Police
    14. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    15. Just
    16. Exit Music for a Film
    17. Bodysnatchers
    18. Pyramid Song
    19. You and Whose Army?
    20. Paranoid Android
    21. Fake Plastic Trees
    22. Everything in its Right Place

By Nate on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 05:18 pm:

sb bowl set list-

1. Reckoner
    2. Optimistic
    3. There There
    4. 15 Step
    5. All I Need
    6. Nude
    7. Talk Show Host
    8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
    9. The Gloaming
    10. Morning Bell
    11. National Anthem
    12. Faust Arp
    13. No Surprises
    14. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    15. The Bends
    16. Karma Police
    17. Bodysnatchers
    18. Cymbal Rush
    19. House of Cards
    20. Paranoid Android
    21. Go Slowly
    22. Everything In Its Right Place

23. Videotape
    24. Lucky
    25. Idioteque

By TBone on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 06:17 pm:

I saw the Flaming Lips live this Summer. That was quite a spectacle.

By Spider on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 09:01 pm:

What is "Weird Fishes" like live? That may be my favorite song off the last album. His voice is so gentle.

"Videotape" makes me think of my childhood friend, Nick Berg, who was beheaded in Iraq on camera. He was a good kid, and a good man.

I don't know if this detracts from or enhances the enjoyment of that song.

I haven't been to see live music since I saw Elvis Costello in 2004.

By Nate on Thursday, September 4, 2008 - 11:52 pm:

i saw flaming lips live once. they followed ween. that guy came out in a giant hamster ball, and rolled around, and when he got out of the hamster ball he told the crowd to tell everyone that he came down out of the sky in the thing.

then i told my friends i had a migraine and walked home.

also at the berkeley greek. ween was great, though.

a lot like this, spider: http://www.last.fm/music/Weird+Fishes/+videos/+1-pC-wIkV3cNk

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:33 am:

I love Ween.

Ween are amazing line.

Regardless, Flaming Lips destroy Ween in every regard.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:34 am:

*live

I think I was thinking of the 10 lines Gene must have done before he played. He looks awful.

By Nate on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 12:54 am:

recently? he got really scary there for awhile, eyes popping out like kermit the frog. but then he had that big touring break, his mysterious disappearance. last time i saw them live he was looking a little chubby.

but, yeah, i saw them once in santa cruz. he looked dessicated, he was so skinny. and he kept ducking off stage for bumps. i told myself i'd never see them again.

but i did.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 01:01 am:

I saw Ween a couple years ago. They played for like three hours, by the end they were going into a lot of the longer sludgier songs. I was so tired at that point I was really into it, doing the slow headbang, probably stoned off of second hand smoke.

One Ween show lasts with you a long time, I won't need to see them for a while.

By Spider on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 04:35 pm:

Thanks, Nate.

I never could get into Ween.

By wisper on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 08:27 pm:

By Nate on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 08:46 pm:

well, i'll be darned.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 02:42 am:

to keep this thread alive, Nate - what did you think of La Cucharacha and the Friends EP. I like both of them, but after hte few weeks after each was released, I barely listened to them and dont remember much. I should probably pop it back in again soon.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 01:53 pm:

When it comes to your mind , when it comes to your job where you are working hard, when it comes to your mind that are bothering you, it might fuck up your mind. It is what we called stress. Damn it.

By Nate on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 01:55 pm:

i had basically the same experience as you. i haven't listened to them in a long time.

the only ween i've really listened to lately is god ween satan.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 02:48 pm:

By Spider on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:11 pm:

Awesome, thank you!

By Dougie on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 12:59 pm:

On the flight to Spain, I listened progressively to all their albums, starting with The Bends (which still is my fav, next Ok Computer, then Hail to the Thief.)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact