Heath Ledger still sorta haunting me

sorabji.com: What are you doing here?: Heath Ledger still sorta haunting me
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:47 am:

Is it the whole being found dead on a bed thing? Reminds me a bit of my ex killing herself, but I only just made the connection now, trying to think things through.

M and I watched Delicatessen a couple days ago. One of the characters is a wife who is continually trying to kill herself. It was only by the 3rd or 4th attempted suicide scene that I was reminded of mt ex. Funny, that.

Anyway, I've been particularly touched by the death of Heath Ledger for some reason. I wasn't an ardent fan, or anything. I recognized his talent, for sure. Maybe it's all sort of bubbling up for some reason, or just an odd coincidence, because his role that stands out for me the most was Monster's Ball. Everybody talks about his performance in Brokeback Mountain as the big one that got him noticed for his ability, but it was Monster's Ball that had me convinced.

So I catch myself still reading news stories about his death, and I'm genuinely sorry that his talent was snuffed out. I was quite looking forward to Dark Knight this summer mainly because he was cast as the Joker. So there'll be that, and maybe one more if Terry Gilliam can pull a rabbit out of his ass, but no more. It's a damn shame.

It's odd for me to react to the death of someone I don't know like this. Makes me wonder what it is.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 02:55 am:

I was lukewarm on Brokeback Mountain - I actually felt like it wasnt gay enough after all the hype, that it was holding back...

...and now I find myself all riled up to watch it again. Maybe its because I finally saw Ang Lee's the Ice Storm and loved it, and want to give him more chances to win me over.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:12 pm:

I thought Ice Storm was far superior to Brokeback Mountain.

Heath Ledger's death affected me similarly, tig. Actually, sans the connection to someone close's suicide, exactly as you describe it.

Death barely effects me in general.

I thought "Candy" was Heath's best roll.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:24 pm:

what bothers me about his death is that the autopsy was reportedly inconclusive.

the rumors of pills found spilled around his house (or bedroom or bathroom) were debunked.

so wtf.

how does someone so young and seemingly so healthy just... die?

an answer to that might help me put it to rest. and i suppose, then, that i would feel just as unnerved if anyone i knew, or knew of, died like that for no apparent reason.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

Sarah, what about owen wilson, his attempted suicide? What is the hell going on? and britney is like kind of outof control like a runaway train????

By semillama on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

I too feel somewhat haunted by his death - perhaps for me it was the sense that this was an actor on the verge of being one of the truly great ones, and a sense of the potential that was lost.

I find myself comparing to a hypothetical situation in which Harrison Ford died right after Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not that Ford is one of the great actors but I think if had died at that point, there would have been a similar sense of loss.

By Rowlfe on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 02:00 am:

"how does someone so young and seemingly so healthy just... die?"

When I was around 10, this guy from the neighborhood, around 17, always let us kids show up to the baseball field in the area to hit to us, friend of the family...

he just... died. it was a complete mystery and they never figured out what caused it. they just found him one morning... dead. everything was inconclusive.

I thought about it for years afterwards and even asked my parents when i was older if they were just keeping things from me or something, but they still insist it was never known. there had to be some reason somewhere, but well, freaky shit happens man.

By beta on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 08:35 pm:

Sounds like "Sudden Death Syndrome"!

I am glad i did not know about this for the first 30 years of my life, because knowing that there are diseases like "Sudden Death Syndrome" makes my brain hurt when I think about them.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 10:42 pm:

me too. beta... but it surely scare the hell out me !!

By platypus on Saturday, February 2, 2008 - 01:03 am:

I'm too lazy to go look for the thread where people were talking about No Country For Old Men, but I wanted to say, for the record, that I just saw it and really liked it.

Allright, you can go back to discussing reminders of your own mortality now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact