hey you nice guys, how do you like to be let down?

sorabji.com: Can men and women just be friends?: hey you nice guys, how do you like to be let down?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cyst on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 10:20 am:

and what's the best way for a female friend whom you think you "love madly and miss terribly" to maintain your long-standing friendship, which has only been compromised to the make-out phase and that was in 1992 anyway?

if you don't ask any questions straight out and you don't make any propositions (like, say, you just tell her generic dorothy parker stuff, like to not hurry back to town because longing for her from afar is less painful than longing up close), does that mean you just want her to ignore what you said if she doesn't feel the same way? or do you want another no, and do you want it with or without a list of reasons?

By R.C. on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 03:52 pm:

That was a rather convoluted reqested, Senator. Could you rephrase the question?

By Pink Eye GOP on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 06:11 am:

Isn't the passive-agressive stance a nice position to have? I too, Senator, would like you to rephrase the question for our colleagues' benefit.

By Cyst on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 09:15 am:

it doesn't really matter, this is just more of the same shit that gets rehashed here all the time without anyone's really being helped because no one else can understand the situation as well as the person asking.

what should I say, if anything, to an old, dear friend of mine who lives far away (but in a city to which I will surely return someday) whose latest emails have included proclamations of his passionate love for me? I usually respond to his email right away, but this one has been sitting in my box for a week because I just don't know what to say. "that's nice, but sorry, guy"?

this wasn't news to me, but he's never been so direct before. I'm inclined to just ask how things are going with his girlfriend and ignore the rest. how rude would that be?

By Bitter on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 09:32 am:

Be honest.
    "Sorry, but I just don't want to" sort of thing.
    "I just don't find you attractive" is a no no.

Just make it plain that it's never going to happen.
    If you give an ambiguous reply or ignore it then he can still hang on.
    And I'd ignore the awful behaviour he's showing towards his girlfriend too.

Oh and don't forget to change your mind after he falls in love with someone else.

By Cyst on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 09:55 am:

hey hey now.

our friendship has outlasted two girlfriends and a marriage. I am always very good. the girls have even become my friends. (this was a little problematic after his wife divorced him and needed a place to live so we became roommates, but anyway.)

that's one of the shit things about romantic relationships. when they're over, you usually lose a friend.

By Bagpuss on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 01:02 pm:

Well, I've been both sides of this little dilema and the friendships that have worked involved honesty and respect and a bit of time.

The one's that didn't work involved me being a twat.

By Agatha on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 01:37 pm:

i would probably try something like, "i'm flattered, but my feelings are not the same as yours."

however, you should maybe phrase it better than i can at this point in time.

By Pink Eye on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 02:45 pm:

This is a sticky one. First of all, you sitting on that mail for a week as spoken volumes to him for sure. Go with what you might fear: when the romantic relationships end, you lose out, possibly, on maintaining a friendship with whomever. I think you should respond ASAP, if you don't you could have an even bigger strain on what you two have now. Tell him the truth.

The first step is taking the first step.

By Semillama on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 10:50 am:

Ask him what the real problem is. Sometimes these cries for love are a deeper indicator of something wrong in a person's life. Hope you sort it out.

By Semillama on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 10:51 am:

By the way, I enjoy being let down with BIG RED STRAPS!

By Cyst on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 01:57 pm:

thanks for all the advice.

I sent him a long message that covered a lot of subjects, I ignored the important stuff, though I asked how he and his gf are doing, and have since heard back and he answered all my meaningless questions and ignored my question about how he and his gf are doing.

I can't really do this stuff over email. and I definitely can't do it in person.

By Pink Eye on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 06:23 pm:

I guess a phone call is out of the question. Just don't let this situation manifest...okay?

By Spaceman Spiff on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 12:40 am:

Why can't girls be friends after the breakup. What is wrong with that?

By Sheila on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 01:01 pm:

this is why my psychotic cat is named Spaceman Spiff. He doesn't come from Earth. He doesn't understand why the prey items aren't grateful when he mercifully bites off their heads first, why they no longer want to play the twitch and pounce game.

There is a connection here. Think about it.

I have specifically asked him not to post to sorabji.com.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 01:46 pm:

Why can't girls just continue to have sex with you after the breakup? What is wrong with that?

By Sheila on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 02:13 pm:

nothing wrong with that.

but why would both of you not be able to find someone else to have sex with?

and if you can't, why break up? doesn't Break Up mean not having sex any more?

perhaps i am out of touch. we mountain persons do things differently, have odd customs and folkways not understood by the outside world.

it's just an expression.

By Whet on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 08:14 pm:

odd = enlightened ;)

But nice guys don't have sex.
    They are too busy being, ummm 'nice'.

What was the question?

By Carrie Ann on Friday, February 12, 1999 - 06:00 pm:

*taps Whet on the shoulder & waits for him to turn
    around...*

*SuperWarmFuzzyFlyingTackleHuggleSnuggles him*

*Smiles, goes back to her business, contently
    humming a tune*

By Whet on Friday, February 12, 1999 - 09:39 pm:

I just love sneak attack hugs :-)

By Carrie Ann on Wednesday, February 17, 1999 - 01:41 am:

:) me too.

I also love nice long back massages... someone wanna come pay me a visit?? Heh. My back is so freakin sore and I'd do it myself if I were that flexible. But alas... *le sigh*

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact