men and women being just friends

sorabji.com: Can men and women just be friends?: men and women being just friends
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kathy on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:15 am:

I believe that men and women can be just friends if there are certain "bounderies" set right from the beginning. However, after a man and woman crosses that line and have sex together, then they are no longer considered, "just friends".

By Dougie on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 08:45 am:

I believe that my right testicle is taking over my scrotrum, invading my left testicle's "bounderies", and eventually will subsume it and become one giant testicle. Will post pix when it finally happens.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:48 am:

yeah.

boundaries.

i usually get that yellow "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape from an insider down at headquarters.

if not, the "Caution" tape works as well.

Girl not be wanting to freak my "boundaries" when the tape goes up.

Being friendly.

By J on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:21 pm:

So I take it Kathy never had a fuck buddy.

By sarah on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:28 pm:

What about if they kiss? With tongue? Then are they no longer considered "just friends"?

DEFINE THE GODDAMN BOUNDARIES, YOU ICE PRINCESS.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 01:21 am:

ice princess is a nice way of saying frigid cuntwhore.

i spilled beer on my keyboard last night and my down arrow sticks.

well, maybe not. you can only go 'down' so far as you've typed in these text boxes.

i guess i've been spilling a lot of beer in my throat tonight.

the majority of women i've slept with in my short heathen life have been 'just friends'.

so i guess you're wrong, kathy.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 01:24 am:

and before you get into the 'well are they still friends' line of fish shit let me indicate that, in my experience, most women don't make particularly good friends over the long term. they're too fucking shifty and emotionally unstable. sex or no sex.

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 03:10 am:

In my experience, it's possible.

I spent about nine years in the friendzone, playing the stand-in-wedding-date-I-don't-know-what-I'd-do-without-you-shoulder-to-whine-on-but-nothing-more-girl-friend to all my single guy friends.

For various reasons (among them, emotional instability, my own and theirs) I am not friends with many of them anymore. Regardless of whether or not I speak to them now, they were indeed friendships at the time.

By heather on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 06:07 pm:

"they're too fucking shifty and emotionally unstable. sex or no sex."

OH MY GOD YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT

fuck you by the way

By dave. on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:53 pm:

nice.

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:42 pm:

chewy.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:50 pm:

i wish i had thought to say frigid cuntwhore.

By Hal on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:16 am:

I'm with nate on this women.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:39 am:

Bullshit

Neither men, nor women have the monopoly on being manipulative, controlling, and abusive. A brilliant sorabji-lady once said, "If you are in control of yourself, no one can control you." And likewise, if you are in control of yourself, you do not need to be controlling.

Now, this isn't a call for a blame-the-victim mentality. However, when you are on the outside looking in, and you see only "fucking shifty and emotionally unstable" women around you, then it's time to take charge of yourself, and say, "I deserve better than this."

Complaining and blaming the opposite sex for the rest of your life isn't going to help you none.

That is misogyny at its worst and is a fucking slap in the face to every intelligent and wonderful woman on this site...and in various parts of the non-sorabji universe.

Hal, I'm truly surprised. You have every right to be angry at any woman who has hurt you. And if you are mad at this moment, then by all means BE MAD. But from what I can tell you are an honest and sincere guy who deserves to meet a wonderful woman. But you aren't going to find one until you let go of that attitude.

By J on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:55 am:

A+ kazoo,amen.

By heather on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 02:16 am:

kazoo:

yes and
    yes and
    yes

let's be watching the pot call the kettle black.

perhaps something needs to be done about this.

By Hal on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:08 am:

No Fuck that.... I witnessed it happen again tonight....

I cannot say that all women are like this, but a good fucking percentage of them.

And I quote, "I'm good looking, I should be able to get what I want right?" 30 minutes later I left as she went in to fuck my buddy james.

I'm sorry, but I'm 20 years old and a bitter fucking indivdual, and until someone shows me different. I stand by that fact.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:18 am:

I like women because they know where everything in the house is. Plus, they smell good.

By Nate on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:43 am:

kazoo, note 'most' and 'in my experience'. if there were more women out there who weren't shifty and emotionally unstable, my experience would surely be different.

if you weren't so outraged, you'd probably realize you agree. women complain about women as much as men do.

most americans are idiots, kazoo. if you look at the population of this community you'd realize that we are not proportionally representative of the american population on either count.

sheesh. women and their outrage.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:10 am:

I was speaking to experience, but not just yours.

And I did say that women can be just as bad as men.

Now, what part of MY post did you not understand?

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:40 am:

And Hal,

I'm not trying to be condecending, but part of being confident is accepting that you won't always get what you want every time. Not every woman you like is going to like you back, but that's how it is for everybody. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel.

Also, bitterness doesn't attract nice women. Try being cynical instead.

By patrick on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:05 pm:

"I'm sorry, but I'm 20 years old and a bitter fucking indivdual, and until someone shows me different. I stand by that fact."

what a waste hal.

what the hell are you doing man?

you arent allowed to be bitter at 20 years old.

quit your bitching and live your life already before its too late.

Get in the fucking car and drive man. drive the fucking car hal!!

im emotionally unstable and quite shifty.

but i was almost exclusively raised by women, had youthful homosexual exploits, i often taken women's formula vitamins when im feeling low because thats all in the medicine chest (prenatals rock the house yo) and I eat this kick ass cereal in the mornings that is specifically designed for women with lots of calcium and folic acid.

By spunky on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:30 pm:

I hear crickets

By J on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:51 pm:

Hal,let it go,move on,your only 20 fucking years old,don't let it eat at you it will make you old before your time,let it go,your probably missing signals girls are sending you cause you have your head stuck up this Marcy's ass,pull it out and let her go.

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:23 pm:

Funny, I heard Christine McVie sing, "You made me a woman tonight" when I got to Patrick's last paragraph. And that's because I'm listening to the CD, not because I'm hallucination, ok?

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:25 pm:

Oops, hallucinating.

I'm emotionally unstable, but not shifty. Where does that leave me?

Hal, did you not listen to Dougie re your "WORLD FUCK ME IN THE ASS PLEASE" attitude?

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:38 pm:

Does anyone else know bible camp songs? I never went to bible camp, but at our summer camp we would sing some of these before dinner...not the ones that spoke about Christ specifically. I just wrote a new one. I don't mean to offend, those songs still bring me good memories, but I couldn't help myself:

He's got the whole world in his ass
    (Sung to the tune of, he's got the whole world in his hands)

He's got my brothers and my sisters in his ass

I'm going to stop there because then it would get offensive.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:39 pm:

and that was not directed at anyone specifically, except for perhaps Dougie who inspired it.

By Pancake Boy on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 02:36 pm:

Oh wow, this is all too much for me to handle, being the inspiration for a talking doll AND a song in one day. I can die a happy man-child now. Thanks, kaz.

By spunky on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 02:40 pm:

If your happy and you know it,
    smack my ass
    smack my ass
    Your ass will surely show it
    smack my ass

By J on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

By spunky on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

ewwww

By sarah on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:55 pm:

men complain about men as much as women do.

By sarah on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:56 pm:

heather is a very wise sorabji-lady.

kazoo, i'm gaining a lot of respect for you. maybe you are worthy of the llama after all ;)

By Nate on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:07 am:

i've never seen a man cry at work.

By Gee on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:10 am:

I have.

so much for that theory.

By Nate on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:24 am:

have you ever had cheap, one-night stand sex with a woman?

By moonit on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 03:10 am:

Hal, you made Spidy type a swear word.

Well done

By sarah on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 05:40 am:

i have.

By kazoo on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 11:21 am:

Thank you Sarah.

I have never seen a man cry at work. However, I happen to know that Suzy Wetlaufer (the former Editor of the Harvard Business Review who was fucking Jack Welch--who is now getting divorced because of it), anyway, I know that Suzy made one of the male editors at the review cry once.

I also know that Suzy may be marrying Jack.

That's me, always on the *inside* of corporate gossip.

By spunky on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 11:41 am:

Sarah,
    Were you saying you have seen a man cry at work (which I never have) or are you saying you have had cheap, one-night stand sex with a woman?

Just curious

By patrick on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:27 pm:

HA!

where i work...

mostly men. mostly gay men.

and none of them have ever cried in my presence anyway.

most of them could probably bench press anyone of you too....some of them give me a body image complex.

ive known women to cry at work, but im not sure that proves anything.

By Pancake Boyardee on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 02:04 pm:

A dude that worked here for 7 years and left a couple years ago cried when he was giving his going away "speech", and another guy cried when he was giving a memorial speech to a woman from the department who died last year, but no, I've never seen a guy cry because of work-related stress or being yelled at by a boss or anything.

By heather on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

if all your opinions are wrapped into having seen women cry at work i am becoming very sad.

maybe your workplace is particularly hard on women, i wouldn't be surprised.

By kazoo on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 02:32 pm:

I cried at work once, because of something Suzy (see previous post) did, but not to me directly.

By agatha on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 07:16 pm:

have you ever heard of a woman going postal in her hi- tech job's office?

we were talking about being unstable, correct?

By Nate on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

i've never seen anyone go postal.

i've never heard of a man drowning all his kids.

By Gee on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 07:33 pm:

does it have to be a drowning? Because if you're going for straight child-murder, I'll say again: I have heard of such things.

this could go on forever. men and women are Different. Different habits, different attitudes, different personalities, etc. So let me just say now that if anyone disagrees with anything I say, you're stupid and should just stop talking now. How 'bout that?

By eri on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 10:51 pm:

Men and women are not only different, but are taught different things. For example, it is very common for a woman to be taught as a child that it is allright to show your emotions and cry, but for a man, well a man doesn't cry. I rarely see men cry. Usually death of someone, or loss of some great magnatude. I have yet to see a man cry over a sad movie. I have yet to see a man admit emotional vulnerability in a new realtionship. The men I know are taught as children that showing emotions are wrong under most circumstances, while in women we are taught it is normal and something we should do.

The difference in teaching is bound to cause a difference in reaction to certain situations.

Instability. Have you ever heard of a female serial killer? You hear about sick women killing their kids and it is horrifying, but you also hear about sick men killing numerous people. They just go about it in different ways. They use different forms of violence, but they still both use violence and still both kill. For every mother in the news who drowned her kids, there is a man in the news who raped and mutilated a 9 year old girl.

Different, yes, but equally unstable.

"I've never seen a guy cry because of work-related stress or being yelled at by a boss or anything." I saw it yesterday at that import/export place I was doing the temp job at. My second day of work there and after the meeting, two men were crying and one woman. No one got fired, it was because of their new job responsibilities, and who was financially liable for what mistakes in the company in the future. It was heartwrenching because the people crying were the nicest people there, the kind you instantly like because they are genuine. One guy was cussing like a drunken sailor and 3 girls were just generally pissed off, but definately two men and one woman crying. Needless to say I didn't go back.

By sarah on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 12:01 am:

i was saying i have had cheap, one-night stand sex with a woman.

but i also have seen a man cry at work. i used to work for citibank. but i don't think that means anything whatsoever.

By Platypus on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 01:02 am:

i once made my (male) boss cry.

By semillama on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 12:16 pm:

I fully expect to see my boss cry at some point. OF course, the jury is still out on whether or not he's really a man.

By Antigone on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 06:19 pm:

I always shed a tear at the end of the movie
    "Unbreakable."

You probably think I'm being flippant. I ain't.

By semillama on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

The end of Monsters, Inc. almost does the same to me.

By Nate on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 08:42 pm:

christ almighty.

By Gee on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 09:50 pm:

Where?!?!!

By dave. on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 12:39 am:

the end of my neighbor totoro makes me teary-eyed.

actually, many parts in that movie do. it's too cute to not cry over it.

By J on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 10:59 am:

I busted my s/o crying at the end of The Champ,he also cried when his dog died,it had heart worm,but the asshole tried to blame it on me.

By Dainty on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 02:18 am:

Men and women can be just friends, however they cannot be sexual attracted to each other. I had the mistake of trying to be friends with a guy I was sexually attracted to. That friendship did not last. There was way too much chemistry.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact