Marriage a legal form of slavery or not,let the facts speak for itself

sorabji.com: Can men and women just be friends?: Marriage a legal form of slavery or not,let the facts speak for itself
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By I will never marry again on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:33 am:

When a person gets married their spouse exspects
    them to perform certain functions or shall I say
    role performance.The spouse becomes the maid; he or she cooks, clean, wash clothes, runs errands,
    feeds the animals, takes out the trash, ends up
    watching the children most of the time, and so many other servant duties. I personally find marriage to be a legal form of slavery. You end up
    being held accountable for all of their faults and
    short commings but of course you will get praised
    from time to time but the majority of your time will be spent offering servant "maid" services to your spouse. You may even end up with a spouse that wants you to pick up the parenting where their parents left off. This type leaves your home
    a mess or often moves you in with his or her parents; remember she or he doesn't want to grow up. He or she can be 50yrs. still living at home with mom and will move in with yours if they'll make their life real easy. These are only my opinions but I believe that others will agree more than disagree. My opinion is marriage is a legal form of slavery just look around at the married people you know and tell me if marriage doesn't set you back more than it does freeing you.

By I will never marry again on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:47 am:

I know a married couple who act like they have a marriage built in heaven but it's a front. They act nice to each other in public but all hell breaks out at home. What's up with the front, your
    spouse is in to legal slavery of the mind; demanding you act one way in public and another at home. This is madness, some evev beat up their
    spouse if they don't do as their told. That's right if they get out of line they get smacked or any other cruel punishment. Remember their spouse doesn't respect nor value their opinion or them. It's all about do as I say or feel my foot in your butt. This is only my opinion based on things that I've seen happen in other peoples marriage. Slavery is wrong get so self-help or outside help if you find yourself with a master instead of a spouse and for God sake don't accept it even if you're not married and are a live in couple. They don't change for the better, their behavior worsen with time. Even though they'll tell you that they promise things will change, good luck if you fall for that one. been there and done that and I refuse to go back.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

It is a fallacy to compare marriage with slavery on many levels, perhaps the most important being that you can get a divorce from your spouse, whereas a slave cannot be "divorced" from a master.

So kill yourself already.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

"The spouse becomes the maid; he or she cooks, clean, wash clothes, runs errands,
    feeds the animals, takes out the trash, ends up
    watching the children most of the time, and so many other servant duties."

Well, the fact that you allow that either the husband or the wife could be the slave with your "he or she" suggests that you believe there is some flexibility in the roles in marriage. So how is it that the slavery aspect is a given?

Anyway, John Stuart Mill said it better when he said the family is a school of despotism.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 03:17 pm:

You know, I myself have a great fear of marriage, based on what I saw in my parents' marriage. My biggest fear is that my husband will change after we get married, and he won't do anything to help our relationship or talk about problems or stuff like that. I know I would work hard to have a good marriage (because I know what a loveless, lonely marriage looks like, and oh my GOD, do I not want that), but I can't make my husband do anything, and if he doesn't work hard (if both spouses don't work equally hard), then the marriage will fail. How can I trust that this person who wants to marry me is who he says he is? How can I trust that he won't say, "Hell, the conquest is over," like my father said to my mother after their wedding, and refuse to have conversations with me and go to movies and have fun with me anymore? That's what I'm afraid of.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 03:42 pm:

two of my examples of a married couple, my folks and eri's folks, would scare the idea of getting married out of any sane person.

My mother and father....
    I don't know what to make of thier marriage.
    Dad is afraid of mom, he never stands up to her, but she never be-littles him, at leaste never that I have ever seen. My dad loves her, of that I have no doubt. I remeber one day when I was like 16 or 17 years old, it was a chilly saturday in late fall, my folks were down stairs, and I remember my dad saying "It is cold and I try to snuggle up with you, and you run out of bed like a scared 8 year old". I left the room because it was not propper for me to be listening to that kind of converstation between my folks. I think religion was killing thier relationship. Or at least her interperation of the bible.

Then there's eri's folks.
    He is scared of her, she is NASTY to him all them time. He does not seem to think that there is anything wrong with it being that way.

Thank god our relationship is taking it's own course. And it is getting better each day.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

Society at large generally places certain duties upon the married couple.

This does not mean that they can not change them. Or, that cercumstances will not change them.

When my wife and I got married she cooked, I couldn't even boil water. We cleaned. and, I took out the trash.

Today because of her MS I do it all. So the house looks like a dump. And, the grass doesn't always get mowed. And, meals are what ever I can come up with. Big deal.

After 28 years, I couldn't imagine life without her. And, I don't want to.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

I think the most important thing is that you and your spouse feel free to discuss anything...that whatever bothers you, you never feel like you can't talk about it. You need to be upfront with your problems and issues, and you should talk *a lot* before you get married about what you expect from marriage and from each other, and how you expect to handle things, and what your attitude is toward working on problems, etc. etc.

BTW, my mother had her own problems that contributed to the unhealth of her marriage...it wasn't all my dad's fault. What I thought she did wrong was not feel lonely, but wait so long to say "I'm lonely," and then say in the next breath, "and I'm leaving." I thought it would have been better to say, "I'm lonely, and unless we work on X, Y, and Z, I'm leaving." Give my dad a chance to change before kicking him to the curb.

By J on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:30 am:

By Sally on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:26 am:

I don't know...I think that when you have been married and the relationship falls apart, this would be what you are left with. A marriage of convenience that utilizes division of labor to get things done.

By V.v. on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 09:55 pm:

J,neat posting,says it all...

By V.v. on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 11:36 am:

By Clueless on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 01:09 am:

Marriage IS slavery. Period. So why in the hell do people do it? I'll never know. Today is MLK Day. Thank god almighty I'm free AT LAST!

By wisper on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 11:19 pm:

MLK?

By Nate on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 02:12 am:

martin luther king, jr.

assasinated by the CIA.

beat up women.

i've heard.

By wisper on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 02:20 am:

oooOOOooh. Never seen it like that.

By dave. on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 02:37 am:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact