Yes, definetly

sorabji.com: Can men and women just be friends?: Yes, definetly
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Wisper on Tuesday, March 24, 1998 - 09:49 pm:
    All my life, my best friends have always been male. In fact, most (let's say, 68%) of my friends are. My closest friends almost always have been, and still are. I think and hope that this will continue.
    Have I ever wanted any of them?
    Very few, and even if I did it faded very quickly.
    Have any of them ever wanted me?
    Apparently...or so I'm told. But the few that did never told me at the time, they always let me know years later, which gives everyone a good laugh.
    I've never had sex with any of them, or even concidered that. That would be just gross.
    Don't get the wrong idea or anything, I'm not macho/masculin, not even close.
    Men an women can be just friends, it happens all the time! I feel sorry for anyone who's never had a close friend of the opposite sex, they're really missing out.
    Sex only gets in the way if you let it.

By Whimper on Wednesday, March 25, 1998 - 12:33 am:
    Girls scare me...

By Christopher on Wednesday, March 25, 1998 - 06:21 pm:
    Sure, Guys and girls can be friends without sex getting in the way. Why, I shudder in horror at the thought of having ... relations with one of my female friends. Besides, it might ruin my chances of getting into their brothers pants.

By Hugh Jarms on Wednesday, March 25, 1998 - 06:59 pm:
    Yeah, but could you be 'just friends' with their brother if he was gay and there was a mutual attraction? And you really don't have any interest in vaginas? Those things are awesome.

By Hugh Jass on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 01:44 am:
    I like butts.

By Hugh G. Reckshon on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 02:30 am:
    I like Hugh Jass.

By Hugh Downs on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 02:58 am:
    I'm lost.

By Baabaa Wawa on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 07:01 am:
    All that and Andy Wooney on Twenty-Twenty

By Hugh Beaumont on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 10:09 am:
    Has anyone seen the Beaver?

By Hugh Hefner on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 10:55 am:
    I have.

By Hugh G. Go on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 11:05 am:
    Why would men and women want to just be friends? Everyone wants to sleep with me, so I wouldn't know. I must live with this responsibility.

By Wisper on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 05:52 pm:
    Chris, you're so cute.........why are all the good ones gay? (of course, if that were true every homosexual would have a signifigant other........hmmmm........)

By Christopher on Thursday, March 26, 1998 - 06:08 pm:
    Wisper, Thanks for the nice thought. I live in the equivalent of Gay Disneyworld and I seem to be having a difficult time meeting "The Right" someone. I wish all the good ones were gay, but like everything else in life, its a mixed bag.

I am determined that the next date I have will NOT be with someone I meet in a bar.

And Wisper, just between you and me, there's lots of cute straight guys out there. The best ones are the ones that don't know it (cute, that is...). And just in case you were wondering, the gay population has at least the same ratio of schmucks as the straight poulation does. Bottom line? No matter how you cut it, it simply isn't that easy to meet Mr. or Miss Right for anyone.

By Captain EO on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 12:55 am:
    You want gay Disneyland? Check out MY monorail! We're talkin' Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! And it is NOT a Small World after all!

By Rose Monte Blanc on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 03:43 pm:
    Oh My.

By Batman on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 03:24 pm:

Girls scare me too....Welcome to the Gotham City

By Aidin on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 10:02 pm:

i have many girls that are friends.
    all but one of them is fat and ugly, so JUST FRIENDS, but that one....
    lets just say if she wanted to, i'd go farther with her. shes all "lets just be friends" which just adds to my daily hopelessness

By Ophelia on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 03:28 pm:

sounds like you dont think too highly of your "friends"

By pez on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 04:28 pm:

i wonder what they think of you.

some friend you are.

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 04:48 pm:

I take it back he is not re-living my adolesence.

He's a creep. And, I was not.

No wonder the local girls won't go out with him.

By Aidin on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 06:13 pm:

ugh, i didnt mean that man
    come on!

By moonit on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 01:22 am:

then why say it?

there's nothing wrong with a few extra curvy bits.

besides, there's less chance of breakage.

By moonit on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 01:22 am:

then why say it?

there's nothing wrong with a few extra curvy bits.

besides, there's less chance of breakage.

By Firestorm on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 05:32 am:

Of course guys and girls can be friends theres nothing wrong with it

By TBone on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:48 am:

No, you're wrong.

By Vilnius viper on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

well,this thread is the best safe sex i ever had,with no chance of unwanted kids or a virus [yet].

By Antigone on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:03 pm:

I'm eating your testicles with black butter.

By Vilnius viper on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:25 pm:

thank you,while your here,my scrotal piercing has gone a bit septic.is there anyone i can see about that?

By Antigone on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:32 pm:

How about Mr Boiling Salty Alcohol Bath?

By Vilnius viper on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:49 pm:

only if you throw in a severe lashing with a wet fish.

By Antigone on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 10:26 pm:

How about a blowfish?

By J on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

It would be a real hootie!!!

By eri on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

heh, J, I need your sense of humor :)

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

darlings,i like this blowfish idea, but its going to need a real big mouth,if it wants my undivided attention.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 07:48 pm:

the only good thing about haveing my beloved plums eaten by antigone,is i can now sing like the bee-gees,up untill now,ive had to use real small underpants,[and clamps]

By eri on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 09:20 pm:

ROFLMAO, mental pictures no longer necessary!!

By J on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 02:09 am:

Kind of grows on you.

By Vilnius viper on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

antigone,my respect for you is up one million percent,normally,NO ONE BEATS ME ON SHARP INTERACTIVE CHAT,BUT,this time you hold me to a draw.much respect,vilnius.

By BIGKev on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

"Kind of grows on you"

what? the clamps??

By wisper on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

hi bigkev!

By BIGKev on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 08:00 pm:

hey chick, how was your long weekend?

anyone got any good ideas for weddings overseas?? like dominican, or Bahamas, or.... (but NOT mexico)

again fo rhte americans... Have a good weekend!!

dont drink and drive!

By eri on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:55 pm:

Don't drink and drive ?!?!?! But I'm in Texas, I thought it was allowed!

By wisper on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 12:32 am:

oh, you know, it was long, it was a weekend.
    I got monday off too, so sweet sweet 4 day weekend for me.
    The problem with long weekends is that you just can't go to Wonderland, no matter how much you want to. The place will be crawling. Gotta go when it's raining or in mid-week, like Tuesday.

i had to go to visit my parents at their boat because my grandmother was in from Regina. She's a kooky one! She only wears purple, and she has a ring made from my (late) grandads baby teeth.
    It's kinda sick.
    I feel like i have to visit her for as long as possible every time she's here because "This could be the last time!!" but in truth i expect her to live well past 100. The women in our family, they never die.
    And she LIVES. Her and her boyfriend just got back from their 2nd trip to New Zeland. She goes around the world almost yearly.

But all i want to do is ask her about the war. That's the unfair problem with people who were in WWII, they could teach you so much but they can't talk about it.
    My one attempt ended quite badly. It's a long story but the gist is that i didn't know how fast Holland fell to the Nazis, so i unknowlingly kinda suggested that she fought for Hitler (instead of england's army, like she really did).
    This was my first and last attempt at asking a veteran about the war.

By J on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 01:54 am:

I just dropped in to see what my condition was in,yea yea oh yea what condition my condition was in.

By Vilnius viper on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 07:47 pm:

eri,in texas,the roads are so long,you can drink,drive,and sober up before you even see another car.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

Texas has miles and miles of miles and miles.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 08:02 pm:

yes, i know texas is not the same as arizona,but on my electronic front door bell it says ARIZONA IS WONDERFULL [not vilnius viper]this totally freaks out mormons and window salesmen,they dont know who i am.[a buddy of mine has CHUTZPA H.Q.on his doorbell,and the mormons say HI THERE MR.CHUTZPA,IM A MORMON]this totally pisses him off ,cuz his name is Goldberg.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 11:38 pm:

p.s.CHUTZPA can be translated from yiddish to english as FIRE IN THE BELLY,CHEEK,OR A MOST FORWARD PERSON,if enyone can improve on my translation,the are welcome to do so.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 11:51 pm:

pps,THE is,as you know, ment to mean THEY.i am mearly testing your powers of observation.

By J on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 11:18 am:

I'm in Arizona and it's not wonderful it's fucking hell,hot hot hell. It's going to be 118 tommorrow for the love of God give us a break.Mormons you take that second m out of the word and that's what you got.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 11:31 am:

Wisper, girl, I think it's just your grandmother -- my grandfather hardly talks about anything but WWII. You just gotta pick the right veterans to ask.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 11:35 am:

Ew, I'm eating an Atkins "Chocolate Decadence" bar for breakfast, and it's making me nauseous. I had one last night after dinner, and I got nauseous then, too, but I thought it was from eating steak sauce that had been left out on the counter overnight.

God. Is nausea not the worst feeling ever? I'd rather be in pain.

By eri on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

J, our weather here is typically just about the same as yours. We have been getting this weird stuff, though, lately. It will be sunny and then it will start raining and the temp will drop and then it will go away and warm up again, and then start raining again and drop. It goes back and forth like this all day. I think it might have gotten up to 80 yesterday.

It's been weird. If it gets warm enough to go to the pool, it doesn't last long at all. By the time you get the kids in the suits it's raining again anyways. After about 5 minutes outside everyone is covered in mud.

So right now our weather is atypical and rather weird.

And because of it my arthritis has been killing me!

By Spider on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

It's been raining SO MUCH this year. Last year we had a severe draught, and this summer it rains at least once a week. There are supposed to be thunderstorms today until Friday. Thank God, the humidity has been forcast to break over the weekend.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

Same here, except for these systems might make thier way north by the begining of next week.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 12:51 pm:

I dont picture San Antonio weather anythign like Phoenix weather. Though I admit Ive never been to either.

Phoenix is a semi-high desert. San Antonio is a rolling plain no?

By Spider on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

(This morning I found a 2-3" cockroach in my bathtub and last night there was a centipede of similar size in my kitchen. I blame the weather for providing damp for these hellspawn to breed in. GAH!)

By spunky on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

Yes, and humid as hell.
    Average rainfal for July in SATX is 2.02 inches.
    We have picked up 5 so far.
    Average highs for July are 95.
    We have yet to hit 90 since July 1st

By eri on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

I lived in the high desert in Cali. You would be suprised how similar the weather is. It's more humid here sometimes and the winters aren't quite as cold in the morning, but the weather is suprisingly similar.

I call San Antonio a wannabe desert, cuz it is plains, but damn, is it desert like weather most of the time.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

doesnt sound like it from what your hubby is saying.

Average rainfal for San Antonio is 32.92"

Average rainfall for Victorville is 6.01"

Average rainfall for Phoenix is about 7.78"

Avg high temp in SO
    June 91.4
    July 94.6
    Aug. 94.7

Average high in PHX
    June 103.5
    July 105.9
    Aug 103.7

big difference sister.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

you got a pool right J?

By spunky on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 02:03 pm:

When I was out here in 91 for basic, it was durring the months of July and August.
    Frequently it got up in the upper 90's, and with the realitive humidity, heat index was frequently over 120.

So, real temps may seem low, but when you factor in the heat index, it feels a hell of a lot hotter.
    Take right now for example.
    It is 80 degrees, but with the realitive humidity, the heat index is 89 degrees.

By J on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

Thank God yes.But when you have to go somewhere just walking through a parking lot is hell the asphalt heats up to about 140 degrees,it is so miserable, I so want get away from this.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 02:20 pm:

heat index is virtually non-existant in the desert spunk.

humidity is virtually non-existant. its two entirely different climates.

im not suggesting one is better or worse, just different. to say the two are even remotely alike, is just, well, not true.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

Having spent many summers in Las Vegas and many summers in the mid-Atlantic region, I can easily say I prefer 110 degrees with 20% humidity to 95 degrees with 80% humidity, and I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise.

The only bad thing about summers in Vegas is that they make my nose bleed, so I've gotta carry around a little nose spray bottle of saline solution. Ick.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

growing up in the dirty south, and experiencing Vegas in July, as well as living in a virtual desert basin....i would agree with you spider.

breathing clearly is still relatively easy in desert heat. also, the shade is easily 10-15 degrees cooler, where as the humidity makes the heat almost unescapable in the dirty south.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

hot is hot is hot.
    I never thought the High Dessert ever felt that hot, to be honest. I was a little disappointed...
    But, i did learn that you did not leave anything black or metal outside for very long. I burnt my hand a LOT that way.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

then you've never experienced 115+ degree heat.

depends on when you were in the high desert. it can be quite tolerable most of the year.

i suffered a mild heat stroke photographing in the high desert a few years back....a small town outside Victorville called Hesperia.

I wasnt doing anything really physical. I was in and out of the shade, i had plenty of fluids but i had two heavy cameras and was spending 15+ minutes at a time in crouching-like positions in direct sun.

you may think its nothing, but it will kill you.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

Victorville/Hesperia is part of the same High Desert I was talking about.
    We lived on Highway 18 in Apple Valley.
    I used to drive down the Cajon Pass everyday to work at GE Capital in San Bernardino.

I thought it was hillarious one morning when the CHP shut the pass down because it snowed. I am not talking a blanket here, I am talking a spitting snow.........
    I am sure I have talked about Victor/Hesperia/Apple/Adalanto before?
    We moved out there in February of '97 (barely a month after we got married) and moved back to KC in July of 1998.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

Eri used to work at the Anne Taylor's Outlet in the Tanger Outlet Mall in Barstow.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 04:27 pm:

Hey, I've been there! Ann Taylor outlet in Barstow... Let's see, that was in 1994 or 1995?

By eri on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

I was the customer service manager there in 97. That didn't last long. Asses that were in the store already. I got some awesome stuff though. At prices so below market it is ridiculous. Loved it.

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:51 am:

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:01 am:

By Spider on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:06 am:

Actually, I'm here -- J's the one in Phoenix. It's going to be pretty cool (high of 80) and rainy where I am today.

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:09 am:

I knew it was J, I was just confused............

Sorry

By J on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

We could sure use some rain here,but when we get it we will also get the monsoons,the pool doesn't really cool you off it's like bathwater and I don't do sun so I only swim when the sun is setting.At my age it's the best way I can help myself.I'm going to go look at the tempeture in San Jose Costa Rica and then I'm probably going to cry.

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:31 pm:

J, when it is really hot out here, we wait until after the sun has set. The pool is usually 5 degrees cooler.
    Otherwise, we know exactly what you mean about it feeling like bathwater.

By patrick on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:39 pm:

indian summer stars when....Aug, Sept j?

By J on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

More like the end of July through Sept.,the crappy dirt blowing everywhere the lighting.One time during a monsoon when we first moved her and my kids were little it was raining and lightning so bad,I could hear a dog howling I thought it had been hit by lightning.I was freaking out so I turned the t.v. off and me and the kids hid under the bed,all of a sudden the t.v. came on no picture,turns out my husband the electical engineer had put up an antenna but didn't ground it,it fried our t.v. If you go to The Arizona Republic they are running a series called monsoon memories.

By pamela on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

I live about an hour east of Fresno (in a little mountainous town called Squaw Valley {NOT the ski resort}). Everyone knows that Fresno is the armpit or California, and it's more than just because its where the state bends. Fresno sucks. It's just a dirty, dirty, dirty place. It gets so damn hot here and there is no breeze.

I grew up and lived in the bay area until I was 20. I'm spoiled. Even when it does get hot there you usually still have a pretty nice breeze. It I still could afford to live there I probably would.

I was in Phoenix once... I had a layover on a flight home. Went outside of the airport to take a look and turned right around. It was in mid-July when I was there and it was HOT. I mean, not just HOT... imagine standing on the sun and that's pretty much what it felt like.

How do you stand it J?

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

I have heard San Bernardino referred to as the "Armpit of California".
    I cannot judge personally, becaue I have not seen most of CA, just the 10 from Arizona to LA.
    Plus most of the High Desert Corridor.

The High Desert seemed to me to be dirty. Honestly dirty. Unless you watered your lawns regularly, they were brown or dirt.
    I helped a friend of ours till up all the dirt on his front lawn so he could "hyrdoseed" it because he wanted grass.
    There was dust all over the house. You could dust in the morning and by afternoon everything was coated in a fine layer of dust again.
    There were tons of these ungodly HUGE black crows that flew in huge groups, and noisy as all hell.

However, these images show why I think it was all worth it.

By patrick on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

I've never been to Fresno, but Ive traveled via the 5 to SF which nears Fresno and i would say the the San Jaoquin valley, where Fresno lies, is indeed the ass end of CA.

its flat, unattractive, hot and culturally desolate, or so it appears.

San Berdooo/Riverside is the ass end of LA....but at least they have the scenic deserts and mountains.

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

"San Berdooo/Riverside is the ass end of LA....but at least they have the scenic deserts and mountains."

That summed up my previous post perfectly

By dave. on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:28 pm:

stockton is the armpit. no doubt about it.

By J on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

I can't stand it Pam,I just try not to go anywhere unless I have to.I want to go to the white mountains or San Diego in Aug. by then it will be even hotter.

By pamela on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

Stockton is pretty nasty too, but I think Fresno definitely out does it. My mother in law is selling her house and moving here to Squaw Valley. It's definitely better than Fresno, though you have to pretty much go to Fresno or Visalia in order to do anything outside of the home.

The one thing I can't stand about living up here is that the spiders here seem to have mutated... they're all so freaking huge! There's nothing like waking up in the middle of the night and staring up onto your ceiling... and seeing a 3 inch spider (with leg span included) directly above you. And I'm an arachnaphobiac! I pretty much go into convulsions when I see a spider... I definitely don't want to be here in the fall when all the tarantulas come out to mate. I hear they pretty much have no fear during that time of year.

Then there are the snakes and scorpions and bats... and lizards and toads that just hop right on into the house. Oh yeah, and then there was the mouse in the pantry that got stuck in the wall and died b/c some asshole who rented this place before we did put rat poison in the crawlspace... Wanna talk about horrible smell...

The price I pay just for wanting to get away from it all.

*sigh*

I am really thinking Oregon or Washington sounds pretty good right now.

By Spider on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:08 pm:

Yeah, me too. Western Montana calls to me, too, but what the hell kind of job could I get there?

Pam, does this happen to you.... I found a dead cockroach on my floor a few weeks ago, and I started hyperventilating at the thought of picking it up (even with a magazine or piece of paper). Bugs freak me out so much (big bugs...ants or ladybugs are fine) that even dead ones scare the hell out of me.

But rats... I honestly don't know what I would do if I found a rat in my apartment. Mice, not so bad. Rats...oh my God. What would you do? You can't step on a rat. You (or at least I) can't kill them with a broom. The only thing you can do is shoot it or sic your cat on it, really,

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

One of these days, I am going to take a dead Texas Roach and take a picture of it next to a penny so I can show you all how big the damn things get down here.

By pamela on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

Oh Spider, I too long for Montana, but I agree, there is no work there.

Yes that happens to me... I can't get close enough to touch them, not even with a magazine or a piece of paper. Thankfully most of the spiders and stuff like that are nocturnal, and don't come out until night. My husband is home by then. I just sic him on them. Last week though, I saw a spider in the afternoon... it was big and the thought of letting it run free in my house disturbed me more than the thought of getting close to it. So I took an empty spaghetti jar and caught it in that. After I closed the lid as tightly as I could I pretty much lost it.

I don't think I could deal with a rat. I mean, the mouse that was in my house was a fairly big mouse, compared to mouse size. It was tough to deal seeing that. If I had come face to face with a rat, I might have just died right there. I couldn't even go near the pantry for like a month. Even after we were sure it had died 'cause the smell proved it. My husband says it hasn't smelled in there for months, but I swear I still smell it. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we also have locusts and three different sizes of ants. There's the regular sized ants that most of us are familiar with. Then we have these teeny tiny light brown ants that are very hard to see. Then we have the GIANT ants that are a reddish color.

I just hate bugs so much.

By patrick on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:23 pm:

im sure czarina and her local pests could top all our household pests.

the bugs down her way are extraordinary.

this summer season i've had a minor problem with ants and skunks. 409 spray seems to work well as an ant repellent, stopping the phermone that attracts their 9000 buddies to get in a line and travel up and down your kitchen counters to the trash can.

the skunks have come down from the hills, most likely due to a dry winter. the mama and two babies that stroll my yard daily have grown more and more fearless, walking within 2 feet of me as if i wasnt even there.

By pamela on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:27 pm:

Patrick that is funny... My husband and I have been using 409 as well to combat the ants.

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

I remember the first night we slept in our first apartment after we moved out to Apple. It was Eri's and my first place together.
    We left Hayley's booster seat on the dining room floor over night. She was only two, so naturally, there was a bunch of old food particles deep in the crevices normal cleaning did not get.

Hayley and I wandered into the dining room the next morning to get some breakfast, and the next thing I knew, poor boo was screaming as tons of fire ants marched up her legs.
    I quickly picked her up and washed them off.
    The carpet was brown, and it litteraly looked like the carpet was moving.

By pamela on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

oh and one more thing we have that I hate... GARGANTUAN MOTHS! These things are like... oh I'd say... 5 inches from wing tip to wing tip. At least. Any you know how moths are with light... well since we're up in the mountains and far from the city lights, any amount of light they see is like a magnet. Once the sun goes down there are tons of moths on the windows trying to get to the light inside our house.

ICK.

The only redeeming quality about Fresno is that they have two Sonic's. I'd never had Sonic before we moved here, b/c from what I understood it is pretty much mainly a mid-west thing. I thought someone said there was some Sonic's in L.A., but I don't know for sure. Patrick do you know of any in that area of California?

I love their Cherry Limeades... yum! Minute Maid just came out with their own Limeade. I bought some last night when I went shopping. I couldn't find any cherry juice, so I bought the next best thing. Apple Cherry juice (made by Old Orchard"). I mix half a glass of the Minute Maid Limeaid with half a glass of the Apple Cherry juice and yummy! It quenches my thirst instantly and it tastes so refreshing!

Now if only I could make shakes and burgers as good as Sonic and I'd never have to leave home.

By patrick on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

fortunateley the ants here don't appear to be fire or otherwise malicious. just annoying.

of all the pests to have....these guys are the most tolerable.

By semillama on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

good lord.

I'll have to remember the 409 trick - that's some truly useful info.

By J on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:56 pm:

Spunky a baby died here from fire ant bites a couple of months ago while sleeping in her crib at a babysitter,thank God Haley was o.k. I'm hooked on Sonic's cherry limades too,do you have the happy hour out there?

By wisper on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

Limeaid? just came out?? Minute Maid has been making that for years or possibly decades, i'm hooked on the stuff. It's my fav frozen juice.
    it is magical stuff.

By pamela on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:07 pm:

oh, I meant for the lazy people... it's in the carton now. I'd never seen it before. I hardly ever buy the frozen juice concentrates... but maybe I should.

Yes we have the happy hour there.

By Hal on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

SPIDER!!! COME TO US HERE IN WESTERN MONTANA...

We, will take care of you. And I'm sure you can find a job here, it'll pay shit, but hell rent is generally cheap if you know how to look, and guess what you have two good ole Montana boys to help you out in that aspect. Come to us the weather is good, most of the time.

By eri on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:58 pm:

When I was a kid and my dad was travelling all of the time for business he always brought us a gift home from each trip...for me he collected coffee mugs, I don't remember what he got for my sister.

Either way, whenever he was in Montana he would call me and ask me if I wanted him to bring back the only thing Montana has in abundance back........."cow flops".

He never brought anything back from Montana. No Montana coffee mug for me....then again...I don't have much of that collection anymore, just a mug that says "I still miss my ex husband, but my aim is improving" and one that says "Love's a special gift you give every single day you live". I think I have the official "Cops" mug, too, but that wasn't from a business trip.

By Vilnius viper on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:33 am:

eri,even a small rock from from montana would have been good,you could paint a small face on it,and keep it as a pet.

By TBone on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:56 am:

Montana rocks don't make good pets. They bite guests and have to be put down.

By Spider on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:01 am:

Hal, you tempt me.

I may be going to Montana in October. I'm dying (DYING, I tell you) to see Glacier National Park, and I've got a family reunion in Las Vegas in October, and I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to fly from Vegas to Missoula or somewhere and then drive to Glacier National Park and possibly, possibly up to Banf/Calgary?"

This requires planning and a handful of family members willing to accompany me, though, so we'll see how it pans out.

By semillama on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:32 am:

Go to Glacier NP before they have to rename it, I say.

By sarah on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:38 am:

i lived in missoula, montana for a year, after traveling across the US for 5 months, before moving to hawaii for the first time.

western montana is *by far* the most beautiful place i've ever been, followed closely by eastern panhandle of idaho.

but you're right, there's no work there, unless you work for university of montana.

man. bluegrass festivals in the bitterroot. glacier national park. the mountains! if only it were not so fuckin cold there all year round, it would be paradise.

By Spider on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:02 am:

Fuckin cold all year round, too? Dude. That's my paradise.

ARGH. How am I supposed to sit in this office and work all day when the Rocky Mtns are calling to me?

Maybe I could get a job at the U of Montana's library...

By Hal on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:04 am:

Well Spider, if your coming here just make sure you let TBone and I know when you'll be rollin through and we'll make sure to show you a good time.

Isn't that right TBone.

On a side note, he's right, rocks from Montana DO NOT make good pets. They seem to have a sort of bitter attitude twards people in general and even more so to visitors, don't know why.

By Spider on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:15 am:

You bet, Hal.

Look

Look!

Holy fuck. I HAVE to go there.

By Hal on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

Uhhh lets see here...

Been there, been there.

And quite a few others, we're waiting for you Spider.

By sarah on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

Flathead Lake!

By wisper on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

By patrick on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

damn

By Spider on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:05 pm:

OH my God. I'm going there, too.

By eri on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

Those pics are absolutely gorgeous. That looks like an awesome place to be, if you have the time to enjoy it.

By pamela on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

I found a little frog in our house last night. This little frog was probably about the size of a quarter. It was in the back hallway on the first floor. So I tried to scoop it up in a box but it kept hoping away. I kept after it with the box and then the damn thing did something that I didn't know frogs could do. It jumped onto my door... Those freaky little things are like spiders! They defy gravity (and how can that be?)! Of course I am not afraid of frogs like I am of spiders, but still I don't want the damn think hopping around my house.

Well anyway, I take the box and I go to capture the frog while its on the door. Well I ended up pinning it there with the edge of the box. I thought I killed it. It wasn't moving at all and it looked kind of flat. So I threw the box in the garbage, feeling really bad because I wasn't trying to kill it, I just wanted to put it back outside, and also feeling WAY creeped out.

A few minutes later I'm feeling like the frog couldn't have been that easy to kill... I mean, I wasn't pushing down that hard... so I go peek into the trash. Would wonders ever cease, the damn thing is alive. It had gotten out of the box and it was just sitting in the trash can at the bottom. Well I certainly wasn't going to reach down and grab it. I was afraid if I even moved the garbage it would jump out and onto me. I didn't want to touch it.

So I waited for like an hour and before I went to bed I checked again and it was still in the same spot, but it was alive... I could see it breathing. I figured maybe the kitchen light was making it think it was day time and I never see them during the day so I thought maybe if I kept the kitchen light on it would stay where it was until my hubby woke up in the morning. So I left the kitchen light on and went to bed.

I called my hubby this morning and asked him if he had taken the little frog out because I didn't see it in the trash anymore and he told me that he had completely forgot.

So now there is a little tiny frog somewhere in my house... This is like the 5th one I've found in the last month in my house, all in relatively the same spot. They just hop right in. And I'm not sure if they're frogs or toads, but they are all between the size of a penny and a quarter. I know I saw one hop in once when I had opened the door in the kitchen that leads to outside, but I don't know how the rest are getting in. It's really freaking me out because I don't expect to see things hopping around all of a sudden. They are making me jumpy.

Hopefully they're eating all the bugs in the house. I could live with frogs way better than I could with spiders and bugs. I just don't want to wake up with one on my face or in my bed. So far they have all been downstairs. I've never seen one upstairs.

By spunky on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

Lake Louis is pretty.
    I would love to vist.
    But I need more then just a picture.
    I need proof.
    After all, that could be a fake picture created by travel agencies to get people to buy airline tickets through them. Don't forget the hotel agencies and car rentals.
    I think that that is just propaganda.

By Spider on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:48 pm:

Aw, I want to see the tiny little frogs. Can you take a picture next time you find one?

In Puerto Rico, they've got these little frogs called coquis all over the place. You can hear them croak "co-qui" all night long, like crickets.

Here's a link with a pictures and a sample of their croak. Seems like they've invaded Hawaii.

By pamela on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

I promise I will take pictures the next time I find one. I'm sure it won't be long.

By wisper on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

Lake Louise looks like that (2 darker mountains with a lighter one in between) because the middle one is a glacier.

Where's BigKev? he lives in Alberta. He should know.

By wisper on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

those little frogs sound too darn cute to be a pest.

By heather on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:02 pm:

you could have just left the trash can outside,
    laying on it's side, no?

By pamela on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

The picture of that little frog in the hand looks just like the ones we have. Due to their size and the lack of water around here I would guess that these frogs are born as frogs and not tadpoles. I will see if I can find what species of frog is indigenous to this area. I don't recall here the coqui sound, but I will listen more carefully.

By pamela on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

I was afraid to move the trash or get near it... I thought the frog would think I tried to kill it and then it would jump on me...

By J on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

I've got pictures of a tree frog and poison arrow dart frog if anyone wants to see,I'll scan it to you or maybe someone could post them for me?

By trace on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:44 pm:

i can

By pamela on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:48 pm:

I could post them for you J.

and isn't trace spunky?

By eri on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

Yes, trace and spunky are the same person.

I remember the tree frogs we used to get out on my parents ranch in MO. Cute as hell, but they never ceased to freak me out.

I have seen some big old frogs out here, but they hide well, so you look at them, and then the kids look at them and then they hide from the kids. Haven't had any in the apartment yet. Here's hoping.

By Hal on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

I think the frogs need their own thread.

Frogs beat spiders any day, I fuckin hate spiders. We got the hobo variaty if you live in basements here, I was worried about the cat for the longest time till I found out that cats are one of their natural predators. Now with a few phearmone (I can't spell for shit) laced traps and my cat. I watch the fucker run around the house all day long intercepting spiders on their way to a slow death at the traps. Its a win win situation.

By pamela on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

do frogs eat spiders too? I hope so.

By semillama on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

Today I went out to one of the fields we did a surface collection of artifacts at for my project and picked up all the pin flags marking collection points. Approximately 15% had these scary black spiders with nasty big heads living on them and I had to kick at the flags to get them to jump off. There were still some in the bucket I was using to put the flags in when I got back to the lab, and now they are somewhere in the lab I suspect. I don't want to know anything more about it.

By TBone on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 08:44 pm:

I'm getting up at 6 tomorrow to go to Glacier for the weekend. Maybe my Rabbit won't fall off the Going-To-The-Sun.

It'll be nice to get away from this heat. It's 95 outside right now. It's 87 inside. In an hour, it'll be reversed.

But it's gonna be nice in the high mountains.

Work is friggin' hard to come by 'round here, but there's some.

Sorabjiites should visit Missoula. Good times are waiting to be had.

By Vilnius viper on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:06 pm:

hal,i hate them freakin spiders too,so does my brother in law,he is a plumber,and now and then he has to get under floorboards to do plumbing stuff,THATS WHEN THE GIANT TARANTULA, HAIRY, MAN EATING SPIDERS ATTACK,LAST TIME HE JUST ESCAPED WITH HIS LIFE,[BUT IT TOOK EVERY LAST BIT OF GAS IN HIS BLOWLAMP TO ESCAPE.]

By BIGKev on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:36 pm:

lake louise does indeed look like that, i should have some pics of me there (from the winter) online fairly soon so you can see what i saw... if you can trust me to not doctor the pics so as to sucker you into coming here and helping our tourist economy, of course...

Also i should have my pics of my new Tattoo by then...

You can do glacier tours around here also, about 2.5 hrs away is a glacier that they drive these fancy "snowcoaches" on and let you out to walk around and shit.... tres cool.... i've done that trip a couple of times....

On a side note, did you know that Alberta is the only canadian province that is (reputedly) rat free??

Banff is Ok, really touristy now (not like 15-20 yrs ago) but still has really beautiful scenery and stuff to do is pretty cool... the size of the town is limited by federal law (as it is in the national park of Banff) so while the size doesnt change every thing inside is redone every couple of years.....

By Hal on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:19 pm:

No real rats here.

Mice aren't much of a problem either, assuming you take out the trash and all the regular shit to reduce common pests.

Lots of hippies though, like locusts they are.

By J on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 08:07 pm:

Thanks Spunky and Pam,for some reason my scanner is not working.I'm trying to trouble shoot it now.It worked before,i don't get it.

By Lapis on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 10:54 pm:

No rats? I've seen them in the street here. Once at school I found one dead on the sidewalk. Ew.

By BIGKev on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

i was in Wash. DC one time walking across the Mall later in the evening (midnite or so) and the shear # of rats running around eating all the shit that was lying around. IT was disgusting!!!

They were fearless, they wouldnt move until you were within kicking distance (and even then most wouldnt move until you started to lashout towards them) Just gross!!

By Lapis on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 09:40 pm:

Eugh.

On the other hand we've got raccoons too, within city limits. Making out on a porch and stopping to watch a raccoon cross the street. Amazing.

By spunky on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 08:31 am:

By wisper on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:08 pm:

that frog looks tropical!

By spunky on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

the red one looks freaky.
    We had tiny green tree frogs in Missouri.

By Vilnius viper on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:00 pm:

spunky,i love that teeny weeny frog,where i am i got real big slug eating toads [thank god]....yet my real nightmare is MONKJACT DEER,they run accross the front of your car,late at night[still on the run from the chinese woodlands]then,they stand still,in the middle of the road,thinking,DO YOU FEEL LUCKY,PUNK-GO AHEAD,MAKE MY DAY.,TRY TO RUN ME OVER.so i try to run them over,and they totally distroy my most beloved car[and my head goes through the windshield]then they bound off,with a big cheesy grin on there mouth.

By J on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:48 am:

That tiny red frog is very poisonous,the tree frog can go blind if somebbody takes a picture with flash bulbs.

By Jj on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:50 am:

Costa Rica is very tropical.

By Vilnius viper on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 09:28 pm:

and the coffee tastes good.

By J on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

In the Monteverde cloud forest they use to have golden toads,these would emerge from the ground annually by the thousands during breeding season.Only a year after they were carefully studied,it dissapeared.In 1988 scientist could only find 10 of the beautiful golden toads and none of them were mating.In 1989 only 1 adult male was seen,and since that time no one has seen these amazing frogs.

By Sven on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 10:58 pm:

i expect they died out from san francisco poison smoke.it also kills many pine trees in sweden.

By J on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:20 am:

San Francisco poison smoke? What is that? When I first moved here there were horny toads all over the place,I use to catch them and watch the blood shoot out of their eyes,never see them anymore. In Carefree there was and still is a resturant called the Horny Toad the owner and his wife divorced and she opened a resturant down the street from his called the Satisfied Frog.Hehe

By Sven on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 09:48 pm:

j.san francisco poison smoke you do not see,for it goes up in the sky,then moves 3000 miles east,to sweden,there it kills many thousands of pine trees every year.it falls as acid rain,it strips the folage from our trees.i wish we had horny toads.

By BIGKev on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:20 am:

sven, you smoke way to much crack buddy.

its a proven fact that Sweden is farther than 3000miles east of S.F.

what a D. I. N. K.

By J on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:33 pm:

It probably is environmental.What kind of frogs do they have in Sweden? Anybody know what kind of frog or toad it is that people lick their tummies and get high?

By J on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:34 am:

Now I read that global warming has bleached all the coral in Hawaii,the colorful coral has been bleached white.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact