|THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).|
seeing if this works.
looks like i messed something up at the sitewide
.htaccess. glad that's all it was, i was afraid
it had something to do with the shellshock exploit
and the recent updates to the bash shell. the
code for this board is so old.
i met up last night with a dude who has
circled/lurked these boards (that almost sounds
like circle jerk) and sorabji.*** since
roughly 2000. it is good, but somehow weird, to
put a human body to one of the faces that stare
into these screens...
sorry for the fuckup. one badly planned line of
code can muck a lot of things up. for now the only
board that works right is this one, drunken
ramblings, hah. i'll fix the rest later today.
i just saw the photo. who is that guy?
forever, and we've had some epic correspondences,
mostly over the last 3 or 4 years. he was a good
guy to talk to when i was having dizzy spells,
walking into walls, and had to have an MRI. he
sent me a copy of the International Herald Tribune
from Europe when a story about me appeared in that
paper. he's an interesting guy... a bit enigmatic.
i don't think he's ever paid attention to these
message boards. he's lived in the Philippines for
most of the time we've corresponded but just moved
what happened here, in case anyone cares, was i
changed the top level .htaccess to force all URLs
sitewide to be sorabji.com, without the leading
www. i didn't consider that this bbs software
checks referers as an anti-spam security thing --
easily spoofed now but a pretty decent technique
for 1997. when the hard-coded www.sorabji.com URLs
were being forced to be just sorabji.com the
software must have thought the referer was being
spoofed (there i go again, anthropomorphizing a
piece of software) so it threw an authentication
error. i changed the config files and search-and-
replaced hard coded www.sorabji.com urls in all
the flat HTML pages. it was an easy fix but it
took a while to figure out what was going on. the
301 redirects showing up in the error log are what
gave it away...
the software has a capacity for password-protected
forums but it's never been used and i'm not even
sure if it works. nothing here was ever actually
password protected, it was just fucked up.