Fucked up my computer as usual

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Fucked up my computer as usual
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Dani on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 11:15 pm:

I dont know what it is about me. Cant figure it out for the life of me. What makes me do the things I do I will never know.
    I actually thought that I could improve my computer all on my own, all by myself, and say that I actually did it.
    I've been wanting to get rid of the Win.98 and goto the 2000 pro. So, my friend Bear mailed me copies ( yeah yeah, I know) of the 2000Pro and the XP. I figured I would get comfortable with the 2000 Pro and then goto the XP. I've just been bored with my computer lately and thought a change would be nice. So I successfully installed the 2000 Pro on my computer and was all super proud of my self. Started feelin' all computer cool and shit. Jumping around the house yelling HOLY SHIT I DID AND IT WORKED. Rolled a fattie and cracked a cold beer and sat down to check out my new Windows. Everything was great. I didnt lose anything which was one of my biggest fears. I was actually using something that I installed that actually worked. And than all of the sudden...BLAM..I get an ICQ and I got no ut-oh sound. I figured perhaps if I just restarted, my sound would be ok. Chances of that actually working were about as slim as me growing a cock but I'm a believer. I restarted and realized that my volume control thingy next to my time and date was no longer there. I went ape shit trying to fix my sound. I need sound. Just aint right without it. Finally someone told me that my sound card is probably not compatible with the Win. 2000Pro and that I should find out what kind of sound card I have and that I could possibly go to their website and get some kinda driver thingy.
    Yeah, that would have been all well and good but I have no fuckin' clue as to what a fuckin' sound card is or where the fuck it's located or what kind it is or anything else for that fuckin' matter.
    So now I'm stuck with a new operating system and no sound what so ever.
    And to top it all off, I dont even see a fuckin' difference between this and 98. Now I dont know what the fuck to do. I dont feel like unhooking the whole thing and dropping it off at David'd house to be fixed and waiting for a week or two for him to finish it. I dont know whether to just say fuck it and put 98 back in here or just throw the whole fuckin' thing out the window.

Even though I dont particularly care for most of you people much, I would really love and appreciate any suggestions. And no, shoving the computer up my asshole is not a recommended suggestion.

ppppllleeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee help me

By dave. on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 12:48 am:

try start menu-settings-control panel. select system then device manager. double click every device under the sound, video and game controller dealy. uninstall everything under the driver tab. if you get the restart prompt, click cancel or no. keep going until everything is uninstalled. reboot and have your win 2000 disk in the cdrom drive. win2k is pretty good about detecting hardware, make sure the drive letter (d:\ e:\ f:, etc.) is the correct drive for your cdrom when the operating system is searching for drivers. edit if necessary (if it's looking for the d drive but the cd is in the e drive, change the d to e). i seriously doubt you have a sound card that win2k can't properly detect, but if you do, go to your local computer store and get a soundblaster 16 at the very least. 15 or 20 bucks. great sound card to this day. anything made by soundblaster will work. installing expansion cards is so easy. you can do it unless you're a total retard.

good luck, bitch.

By J on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 01:04 am:

Dave,It'a all good,your spreading some good Karma.

By dave. on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 01:07 am:

that's what i'm all about, sweetie.

thanks for the halloween card. i fixed up frankenstein with
    a REAL HOTTIE.

we actually had a cool break in the clouds and got to see the
    full moon tonight.

happy halloween, j.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 01:09 am:

"good luck, bitch."

Christ, that had me cackling. I ain't had a good cackle in a while.

thanks, dave.

By heather on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 02:08 am:

my dad got a new printer that wasn't compatible with the 95 that they still had, so now they have xp. it does itself, it's kinda creepy and pretty annoying.

actually the most annoying thing was them saying that they didn't understand- when if you just read all the crap all over it tells you everything you need to do

but i like the photo printing bit, saves me a good deal of explaining.

By Hal on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 03:00 am:

2K has some serious issues with Sound Blaster. A friend of mine just installed 2K on his machine and it didn't take his sound card. The problem might be at the level of your motherboard, 2k has updates for almost every Mom board on the market. Make sure there isn't one for yours and if there is download it, the update for that sound card should be in there somewhere... Also make sure that the drivers that came with your sound card are installed if they don't work use the ones that come with 2k... If you need any more help email me, this is what I do for a living.

By Bitch on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 08:57 am:

Ok Dave...here is where I am...
    under sound, video, and game controllers, here is what is listed..
    audio codecs
    legacy audio drivers
    legacy video capture devices
    media control devices
    video codecs
    when I double click on the first one (audio codecs), a screen pops up that says audio codecs properties. There is a general tab and a properties tab at the top. Then it says audio compression codecs and then there is 10 things listed. Here is what those things are:
    imaadp32.acm
    msadp32.acm
    msg711.acm
    msgsm32.acm
    tssoft32.acm
    Lernout And Hauspie Codecs
    msg723.acm
    Indeo audio software
    msaud32.acm
    Microsoft PCM Converter
    there are remove, properties, ok, and cancel tabs at the bottom.
    Did you want me to remove all 10 of those things as well as the things under the other nine things listed under sound, video, and game controllers?
    Before I went and did anything I wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.
    This kills me to admit but you have no idea how retarded I am when it comes to computer related problems.

Hal, my biggest problem is the fact that I dont know what a mother board or a sound card is let alone what it looks like. The 2000 pro cd that I installed yesterday was a burnt copy from a friend so it came with nothing but the cd. he walked me through the installation process on the phone and at one point, I got a message saying something about my sound card possibly not being compatible with 2000 pro and it asked me if I had drivers and I said no because I dont. I just clicked continue and low and behold, I have no sound.
    As far as any drivers go for my sound card, when David built this piece of shit for me a few months ago, he didnt give me anything to go with it. I can unhook this thing and drop it off to him and he'll fix it and not charge me anything because he's hubby's buddy and never charges me but then he'll have it for at least a week or two. Truth is, I would really love to be able to fix my own problem for a change. All by myself (not counting the advise I get from you guys) and say that I did all by myself.
    I know people get aggravated helping people with their computer problems so if you and Dave dont want to continue to try and help me, thats perfectly OK and I thank you both for the help you have given.
    But pppllleeeaaaseeeee dont get aggravated and continue to try and help me!!
    Perhaps I wont say anything to irritate you guys for a while to show my appreciation or something! Or perhaps I'll intentionally say something really super stupid so you guys can rag on me as hard as you want and I wont even reply!
    This whole losing my sound episode has made me more mental than I already was so I will shut up now and await further advise.

Th..th...th...th...just say it Dani...thank you guys.
    Hmm, that wasnt so hard to say.

By Dani on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 09:10 am:

wait a minute...I just got a new e-mail and my computer made a beeping noise. And when I backspace to much, it makes the same beeping noise. Why is that happening if I dont have any fuckin' sound???

By DumbassRetardedDani on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 09:42 am:

Ok, remember when I said that I'll let you guys rag on me as hard as you want?
    Here is your chance....
    I kinda sorta had the speaker wire plugged into the wrong hole..I HAVE MY SOUND BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Knock yourselves out...I can take it!!!!

By Czarina on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 09:45 am:

I love Dani.

And you're not alone,Hon.

All by myself,I have succeeded in rendering my scanner AND my printer,completely useless.

Haven't been able to use em in months.[aaarrrgg]

And I frequently get "fatal error" messages.

When researching "fatal errors" I found something like what Dave suggested,about uninstalling everything,and then reinstalling stuff,one by one.

But I was afraid I might fuck it even more,so I left it alone.

By Dani on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 09:58 am:

If ya loved me Cz, you'd get your ass on MSN and give me some moral support for the ass beatin' I'm about to get on these boards!!!
    Just kidding, back at ya Sister!
    My neighbor came over a little while ago to get some tile out of my shed for his kitchen and he pointed out the fact that the wire was in the wrong hole. He just shooked his head and laughed his ass off at me all the way home.
    Ohhhhh the shame.

By eri on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 10:36 am:

If it is any consolation, I am a computer idiot. I don't know how to install anything, uninstall anything, etc. etc. etc. I know, keyboard, mouse, type, click. I am lucky I know how to post here and how to send and receive email. Computers just aren't my strong suit.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 11:56 am:

Why would you get an ass beating over this, Dani? Besides, you're beating your own ass pretty well, so we'll just sit back and watch. We all love to watch...

By J on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 12:26 pm:

I've been having major problems with my computer,I could fix it myself if some turd hadn't stole my windows 98 second edition C.D.

By Hal on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 03:37 pm:

Well if it makes you feel any better all, I'm a computer geek, its my life and its what I do for a living. And the computer at home which I've put about 2 grand into and build myself is not running and there is nothing I can do about it unitl Western Digital sends me a new friggin harddrive. About 2 nights ago my harddrive decided it was going to commit suicide in my case and in the process lost about 10 gigs or so of data that took me quite a while to get. SOOOO now I get to try and fix it once i get the new harddrive, install RedHat 7.2 (because it just came out.) and Win2k and then spend another 3 or 4 days trying to figure out what parts of my hardware need new drivers for 2k because they never actually tell you in the documentation for them, all they ever fuckign say is "oh yeah this is compatible with 2k" but we won't tell you that you need the updated driver packages that go with it... fuck heads...

Dani as for any computer problems you might ever have, email me or post, I'll be glad to help, because I know I hate it when my computer is doing bad things, and even though I'm capable of fixing them it still add a buttload of stress to my life, even more so seeing as this is what I do for a living and it really sucks when I can't fix something on my own... So I have no problem helping a fellow sorabjite out with their computer because it keeps you guys on the boards. Email me if you have any more problems.

By Dani on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

Thanks alot Hal, I appreciate it.

By Cz on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

Ah,shucks.

By Dani on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 08:02 pm:

Cz your a trip!

By Hal on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

Hey Cz that goes for you too... I hate to see a sorabjite having problems, and I may not be the best at life counceling, or giving advice but I do know computers and hell if I can keep a sorabjite on the boards then I will... :)

So like I said anyone need any help email away.

By Cz on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 08:19 pm:

Thanks,Hal.I appreciate your help :)

By J on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 12:52 am:

I am sending you an e-mail tomorrow,when I'm sober Hal

By Dougie on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

So wait a second, Dani. When in between having working sound in Win98 and upgrading to 2000 and having no sound did you change the cable on the sound card?

Those are the kind of calls I love:

"The [scsi] film scanner isn't working."
    "Ok, did you make any changes to the system?"
    "No, I've been using it all day and now I need to scan CT films, but the system says unknown device."
    "Did you reboot the system recently?"
    "Yeah, I did this morning."
    "Was the film scanner on before you rebooted the system?"
    "No, I turn it off when I don't use it for a while."
    "And just where did you get your PhD. from sir?"

By heather on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

why is it that basic computer info makes people feel so inferior/superior?

By Dougie on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 05:51 pm:

It's not an inferior/superior thing. I can show people who, for a living use computers in their jobs 8 hours a day til I'm blue in the face how to do things, and why they work the way they do, things that if they took the 5 minutes to listen to me or learn them for themselves would save them countless hours of doing things the way they're used to doing it, people who want one big key on their keyboard named "Finish Project Without Me Having To Do Anything", the same people who seem to take pride in saying, "I'm not computer literate at all" and yet their entire job revolves around using a computer. That's what pisses me off.

By Hal on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 06:54 pm:

Exactly...

But thats the thing, some people like you Dani are willing to learn, willing to listen, and ask questions based on those things. Granted you made a mistake belive me we all do it and the mistakes get bigger and more complicated, or just bigger results supid little mistake
    Example being, the other day (BEFORE MY HARDDRIVE DIED) I swapped my hardware from one case to the other, everything was in the same order (or so I though) all my IDE devices were connected to each other as they had been before, but things were slow when I booted into windows, and Linux wouldn't boot at all I got a Kernal Panic. Pissed me off and scared me I thought I toasted something on my mother board.
    I was wrong, it seems that when I plugged in my IDE cables the one that orginally had been my IDE MASTER with (HDD-O and CD-ROM 1) hard drive and my 50x on it was now in IDE Secondary and what use to be IDE secondary (DVD-ROM, and CD-RW_) was now listed as IDE Master... I got the cables swapped.. But all the slaves and masters where in the right spot... The harddrive just wasn't mastered on the boot sequence and it fucked things up... When I swapped the cables back, everything was fine. That is until my harddrive dropped an arm onto one of its disks and commited suicide on me... Fuckin Western Digital.

By heather on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 10:40 pm:

but that's what i'm saying!

the way things are now, it's easy to get by without knowing any of the secrety secrets, yet many people still have the idea that it's difficult

whatever, i'm saying what you're saying, i was just wondering why people see things as so mysterious when often solutions are very simple

["And just where did you get your PhD. from sir?"- crosses the line into the 'i'm smart and you're not' category in my book]

By Hal on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 01:25 am:

Yeah see thats not cool. I mean shit, I learned from asking others and watching, and anything I didn't understand I questioned, why because thats how you learn. And any one who is an asshole enough to say "And just where did you get your PhD. from sir?" Either A:Doesn't deserver the knowledge, or B: Never will have it, for his simple ignorance.

By Antigone on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 02:36 am:

Temporary Computer Ignorance, or TCI, is all about comfort level. People who are tense around their computers don't think straight 'cause they're all freaked out. I don't get all freaked out that often, but when I do, even the most simple troubleshooting task can elude me.

Also, any good techie has made the "fuck, I shoulda put the 'oh enn / oh eff eff' switch to the 'oh enn' position, dur!" mistake enough times to not give anybody shit about it. If they still give shit, they're either idiots or hypocrites. Fuck 'em.

By Dani on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 08:50 am:

Apparantly when I moved my computer into the Florida room the other day is when I lost sound Dougie. As soon as I was finished moving it, I put the 2000 in and freaked because I didnt have any sound. I went crazy trying to figure it out. I never thought to make sure the wire was in the right hole because I always thought it went in the little blue hole. After going even more nuts than I already was, I posted here and asked for help knowing that one of, or some of, you braniacs might possibly try to help me. Dave and Hal gave me their remedies and just when I was about to do what Dave said, my neighbor came over and switched the wire to the little green hole and I got my sound back. I'm very embarrased that I didnt try to switch the wire but shit happens I guess.
    I did appreciate Dave and Hal's help though.

By Czarina on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 09:36 am:

Tsk,tsk,tsk. We all have strenghts AND weaknesses.

I am not an idiot.But I kinda am,when it comes to my computers.I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Thats why I ask those who are knowledgable,when I screw up.BECAUSE I am afraid I will screw it up even MORE,if I try to fix it myself.

I'll also admit,I seem to be somewhat "computer dependent".I'm not proud of my addiction,none of us are,but we're afraid to come out of the closet,and face the ridicule of the computerless.

So we hide in shame,untill the next time we can "sign on".Its not a pretty story.And there are no pretty endings.

The addiction,just keeps dragging you down,down,and farther down,untill your face is known at all electronic outlet stores.Soon,you have to move on to another town,where your face isn't as well known,because they know,you always want more,bigger,better,faster,newer............

It never stops.The Net can be a cruel mistress.

By Hal on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 04:11 pm:

What are you talking about... I'm damn proud of my addiction.
    And yes the net is a cruel mistress, but only if you fear her.

By Xyrea on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 01:56 pm:

You don't have to fear her to know she's nasty. So many opportunities for spam....

By patrick on Tuesday, November 6, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

the "cancel" or "undo" function of a modern PC has made trial and error risk free.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact