Pissed off the front office at the apartment complex.

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Pissed off the front office at the apartment complex.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

When we first moved in we complained about the paint coming off of the countertops whenever we went to clean it or use it. Since then, we had a major water leak from the apartment upstairs and when they came to fix it all they did was stop the leak and left the chipping paint, plaster and rotted drywall. Also, the paint is peeling off of the cabinets and doors all over this place. I was told to just spray it with some Fantastic and keep it clean.

So I go into my daughters bedroom to put some of her clean clothes away in the closet and about 30% of the paint on the door is gone and another 30% is bubbled up all over the place and hanging off of the door. I peel it off and take it to the front office and slap it down on the desk. She fills out a "work order form" with attitude and then orders me to throw the peeled up paint in the trash and then moves the trash can because it is bothering her asthma.

I also mentioned the termites in the master bathroom, but that didn't even make it to the work order list. When I said something about it for the third time (after being ignored the first two) she waved her hand at me as if to tell me to leave her alone.

This building is old enough that with the peeling paint, there is an asbestos risk, and it has been discovered that some of these old buildings do have asbestos.

I realize that it is their apartment complex and if they want it to fall apart, that is their problem, but it does need to be safe to live in.

Frankly, with my asthma and the asthma problems my kids and the whole family has, she should be compassionate and not whining with attitude. I want to bitch slap her right now, I won't, but I want to.

By patrick on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

contact the city housing authority. they have strict codes like that and we recently took out landlord to task for that shit, 'we' as in the tenets. They just didnt want to pay and they spent a buttload of money getting it back up to code.

its not hard to get a city inspector out to look at these things. issue a report and demand for repair, or else they start reducing rents.

its real easy to be a pain in the ass to landlords as most of the laws were written for your benefit

By eri on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 03:41 pm:

How long do I give them after this report in the office before I put one in writing (assuming that they don't do the work)?

I know that our lease says that after 3 reports in writing we can get out of our lease, but I don't know how long to wait between reports.

By the way, does anyone know what asbestos looks like? I saw something funny on one of the doors, but don't know what to do (take a picture for records or just clean it off)?

I think the thing that gets me is being treated like I am some horrible bitch and a total incovenience.

I hope that chick says something while I am over there getting Hayley from the bus stop, because I will totally get in her face and make her look stupid as hell in front of everyone.

By patrick on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 03:50 pm:

here's what i did that got the attention of my slacky landlords. i gave them 3 strikes.

two phone calls and one letter before i fired off a letter to the city inspector, making sure to send them a copy. (it also helped that a neighborh worked at the city clean air department and knew people in the housing and inspection office.)

i noted the time and date of each call and letter, whom i spoke to and whom sent the letter to.

Document everything.

If it doesnt specify how long betweem reports, fuck it, do them in consecutive days.

You have a legal right to demand and be loud about this crap. This is where you and your children live.

Do not get in anyone's face though.

The deal is to be smart about this. Of course they think you're a bitch, you are potentially costing them money they would rather not spend.

Asbestos is white and powder like. YOu don't have to worry about it, because it would take a palmfull to be harmful....the parts per million in drywall, in this instance as you have described are not really a threat, so dont worry. Asbestos is inside the drywall its not something you would see on the wall. You may note, in the lease there is something about drilling holes into the wall or something, this is where youcan potentially be exposed, but the stuff that comes out, drilling a hole to hang a picture are no threat what so ever, as I have come to understand it anyway.

By patrick on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

the deal is, be more of a professional than they are and you will get results.

By eri on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 04:47 pm:

I am giving the 24 hours to get someone out here before I write a letter. I think I will send it certified, if I have to send one. Then there is absolutely no dispute about what they received when (I don't trust these idiots).

As I looked closer it was more green and white mixed than just white, so I think it is mold under the paint. Also, I found out that these exact same problems happened to the people who lived here before us.

The termite looking bugs are also in the apartment upstairs now. They just made it up there this past week.

I am going to bitch (properly) and I think I am going to start taking pictures for documentation, if I can find my camera and film. I am going to ride their ass professionally. I am going to look into code violations if they aren't here within 24 hours. I am going to look for a house as soon as we can.

3 months of this crappy lease down, and 3 to go.

I also think that I am going to start saving the receipts for every bottle of bug spray and bleach I have to use on the mold around here and see if it is possible to take it out of the rent.

To find out about the city codes, rental laws and things of that nature and the legal way to dock rent and things like that, where do I start, the Library?

By patrick on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:25 pm:

don't worry about looking up code violations...just call the city, and find out how you file a report on a negligent property owner. Too often its a the property managers and not the owners. That seemed to be the case in my situation anyway. I found out the property owners lived in Germany and probably had no clue what the local managers were doing.

Go to the city homepage, look for Housing Authority and start there. Make a call, explain your situation and that you think there are things below code and that your landlord is not responding to repeated calls for repair. City red tape is still red tape, just make some calls, you may talk to 5 different people but don't bother busting out the lawbooks, let the professionals do that.

By eri on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

Actually it is the property managers. I guess that they refuse to give out the number of the people they work for, but if I bump into "that guy from the pool, you know that Catholic School teacher" he said he would give it to me, cuz he got it from a neighbor.

Either way, it is time to start fighting, and like I said, 24 hours, then letters and phone.

Usually I am totally not confrontational about this kind of stuff, but I have had enough, and my family is in danger, from the rotting ceiling and now there is the risk of lead poisoning. I am not going to play games.

Anyways, time to start dinner.

By patrick on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:23 pm:

i wouldn't contact the property owners either. really. you got to do everything by the book here. I learned you can't aggravate them anymore than they already are. Circumventing the property managers would just piss them off more.

Did all of these problems exist when you moved in? If so, that could be a problem.

By eri on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:39 pm:

Most of them did. They literally just covered the carpeting, appliances and linoleum in vinyl and took a paint gun to EVERYTHING to cover it all up. Most of the problems we have had have been here for a while before us. They don't do shit for anyone here. My poor upstairs neighbors have had a hole in the roof that leaks when it rains and all they do is put a spackle (sp?)patch inside, but never fixed it so every time it rains, the spackle cracks and their hallway floods.

They slap a band-aid on it and call it fixed, when all they did was cover up the problem and not fix it.

For one of my neighbors, they had water damage to their bathroom ceiling (much like ours) and the company didn't come and fix it until after the ceiling collapsed on their kids. Ethan is 5 and Paul is 4. Fortunately the kids weren't hurt. They were standing at the opposite end of the room (by the door) and stepped out before it actually came down on them.

Everything here is jerry rigged. When we first moved in our stove caught on fire from faulty wiring. When I called to report it they said it was the cleaning chemicals that the housekeepers use when preparing a new apartment and to put tinfoil on the pans. I had to argue that it was wiring and inform her that if it wasn't fixed then next time we would just let the building burn down. Then someone came to fix it.

There are too many plumbing problems with this place to count, and none of the maintenance men are licensed plumbers.

This place is supposed to be the nicest apartment complex (outside of medical center) in the entire San Antonio area. If this is the best, we're screwed.

I won't call the owners. I will just call the City. The peeled paint with mold alone should be enough to warrant something. This building is old and we did get a thing about peeling paint and lead poisoning, so hopefully it will get something done quickly.

I miss David. He was the best landlord. I want a landlord like him again.

By patrick on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

well if these things were there when you signed a lease, you're partly to blame. you shouldn't sign a lease until those things are fixed. technically you accepted the apartment with these faults. if they are below code, which is sounds like these things are, thats your saving grace.

By Nate on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 09:28 pm:

in california you can fix things on your own if the landlord doesn't fix them in a reasonable amount of time. you then deduct the cost of fixing from your rent.

By eri on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:18 pm:

When we moved in we had to fill out a big checklist of all of the things wrong and some of these things were on the list (which they were supposed to fix but didn't) and some of them weren't on the list (they just painted so it wasn't peeling within the first three days. That is why I am thinking about taking pictures of all of the things that have gone wrong since and all of the things they haven't fixed. That way, if they decide to be dicks about the deposit or charge us for damage or something I have something on record. I think I am going to try to get notarized statements from the upstairs neighbor about the things they have had to go to their apartment to "fix" after they move out next month. That way, if they try to say I never reported it or they never came to fix it I have something else to back me up. I am not sure yet.

Only time will tell what happens next. I can tell you that many of the things that were wrong when we moved in were fixed within 2 weeks, but there are some things they refuse to fix (paint related). The rest of the stuff has happened since we have moved in. Like the termite looking bugs and the paint chipping and peeling off.

The burning stove has been rewired, the broken doors to the laundry have been fixed. They have community hot water here and the hot water has been shut off 5 times for repairs, twice the water was completely shut off because of a pipe bursting and once because of multiple water heaters exploding. This is apparently their new system as well, which has only been in since November.

Of course, I love the floor plan of this place and the conveniences, the pool right out back, the park within 100 feet, the bus stop within a 3 minute walk, the stores all here, the mall across the freeway (which we live just south of) the school district.

If they would keep these places in decent repair, I wouldn't mind staying for a while. If only they took care of the place.

Even if we left and rented a house, it is reasonable to think we would lose square footage, or get a crappy floorplan. I dunno. I just wish they would fix the place decently and stop whining about their fucking asthma (as if we all don't have it) and get their collective shit together. If they did that then the place would be someplace I could be happy for a couple of years at least. Expecially if I could paint the damned walls in here. Then I would be really happy, to make it my home (remember I am almost always here and rarely go out) and have it in the same condition it would be in if I owned the damned place, not perfect, but decent. At least up to code.

By patrick on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:28 am:

forget about the neighbor's account. its irrelavent to your situation. you should see if the same CA law exists in TX. I knew of this law, but my situation involved entire plumbing system of my bldg. nothing i was going to do myself.

the paint peeling....Im not sure what you can do about that, considering, (in CA anyway) they are required to put two coats of paint on after someone moves out (I believe), but there is probably no law stating what quality of paint or how thick of a coat they have to put on, or whether they have to strip the previous coat. The reasons why its chipping is because its probably about 5 coats stacked on each other. Thats legal, just a cheap effort on their part.

By eri on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:39 pm:

It is way more than 5 coats of paint. I am debating. There is supposed to be some clause in the lease where for a $150 deposit (to return the place to white when you leave) you can paint the place yourself. I am thinking of looking into this and peeling the rest of the paint off and then painting it like I like it. Most of the paint can be peeled off by hand. Not a lot of work to get rid of the shit on there now. I dunno.

I can fix the ceiling in the bathroom myself. I just don't want to.

Actually, I just called the office, and I don't have to pay a deposit, so long as they can paint it back white when I move out (meaning no really dark stuff that can't be easily painted over white). I spoke with the person who is most strict about the rules. She is usually a pain in the ass, but pointed out how I can fix most of this stuff myself, and do it in a way that I like, I feel better about the whole thing.

They are giving me more freedom to make this place more my own, so I guess it shouldn't be a bit deal if I change some drywall out in the ceiling, do a little work, because they are giving me more free reign with this place. I love the floorplan. I guess I will just end up doing the work myself. Happy Mother's Day to me. We now know what I will be doing. Making this freaking white apartment liveable.

The white walls in the dining room have been driving me nuts. Now I can do something about them. I have a plan of what I want to do, but I am just trying to figure out one thing. What do you put over a flat paint that will give it a semi-gloss or gloss finish without changing the color?

I am feeling much better today.

By patrick on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

mother's day?

what? when?

i'll be damned if id be fixing any dry wall matters in my apartment due to bad plumbing.

yes you can paint your apartment. i did. get a stripper, that old paint comes off in no time.

But don't let them talk you into doing their work. There is a difference betweem personalizing your place and the maintanence.

By semillama on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

Aren't strippers expensive? Do they use poles
    instead of ladders to reach the bits near the
    ceiling?

I'm feeling a bit giddy.

By eri on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 01:16 pm:

If I paint the interior of the place then I can fix everything but the drywall. I don't know for sure if I will, but I don't like damaged ceiling right about the toilet my kids use.

I think I am going to strip whatever doesn't just peel off, because I have over 2/3 of one door done already, just with what is already lifted and I can peel off by hand. My two year old thinks it is funny.

I am not going to do too much work. This is rental property and I am not going to pour my heart and soul into something that isn't mine. When I own a home, then I will go all out and really put major effort into it.

Being able to paint the place myself does take care of everything but the ceiling in the hall bath and I think I will end up doing it just so that it gets done. They have already sent someone out once to fix it and he left it. I might just do it to get it done.

I am almost excited. I get to fix this place up! I have a feeling that Spunky will get tired of it, though, because I plan on doing a lot of wall treatments.

Of course, the reason I am excited about this may also be for other reasons. I have had a few people considering having me come into their home and do some interior design work (low budget do it yourself kind of stuff) but they haven't been able to see my work. If I get this place decent, then they can see my home as examples of my work. Pictures of my home of course, but still. Something. It would be nice to do some work I can do with my kids nearby and still make some money. I just wish I was better at drawing sketches and my sewing machine worked.

They weren't trying to talk me into doing their work, but it seems small now, and I just might do it to get it done and over with.

By Christopher on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 02:22 pm:

Eri, before you get too involved, make sure that there is NO lead based paint that is peeling off with the top latex coats. You can pick up a testing kit at home depot. If there is lead, there are laws about lead abatement, and in some places you cannot do it without notification of the city, and a whole lot of physical precautions (although its fine if you paint over without removing). California is INSANE about this. We had to completely shroud our house for 2 weeks while it was being primed and painted. If you have a lead problem, I really think you shouldn't do it yourself. Its very risky when there are children around. I don't want to make you nuts about this stuff, but you should check it out first. If it isn't a problem, I hope you have fun doing it. Don't mess with the ceiling though. The apartment complex MUST fix that, along with the underlying reason for the failure in the first place. The last thing you need is a mold problem inside the ceiling or walls. It drove Ed McMahon out of his house and killed his dog!!
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0409beverlyhillsmold-ON.html

By eri on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 03:41 pm:

I will test it for lead. Thank you Christopher. If there is a lead problem, I will have to move my kids into the same bedroom for a while and the apartment will have to do the work. The worst peeling is in Hayley's room, the other bad place is the master bathroom. I will check it out before I do anything. I am hoping that the lead based paint isn't on the doors and cabinets, but just the walls and/or ceilings. Then I am in the clear.

I just got back from the pool and have to get ready for the BBQ at Spunky's bosses house tonite. I am hoping my little Japanese summer dress will be allright.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact