Finally got a puppy!!!!!

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Finally got a puppy!!!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 08:46 pm:

So I was at PNO last night and some friends were all talking about the puppies and kittens they had to give away.

I laughed and said I have been looking for a puppy or a dog since my birthday, but haven't found the right one. I needed one who was going to be small even as an adult, who had a docile personality and would be good to my cats and not scare them (since Sidney is such a chicken) or attack them, and would be rather mild in temperment, that could grow with my kids, but not be too overwhelming for me.

I told Spunky about it and we went over there today.

I got a puppy!!!! It's Spunky's puppy!!!! It is part Australian Husky (mom has a medium length coat and weighs approx 25 lbs.) and part Trucker Mutt (Dad used to ride around the country in the truck with the guy we got him from and is a small grey run of the mill mutt about 20 lbs max with short grey hair).

They were all girls, in two different colors. We got the last brown one with black markings. She's the one that the other puppies beat up on and is the docile meek one, so sweet, sleeping on our laps. She is a puppy and plays some, but isn't hyper energetic, just playful and cuddly which I totally love.

We have named her Mia (my name, it just suits her). Though other names are still up for discussion I think we will end up sticking with Mia.

We are finding a home for one of her sisters now (all black and we call her Anubis). Maybe have her a home. We will see in a couple of days.

By eri on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

In case y'all missed it last night.....

The black puppy now has a new home, too!!!! She is going to get a new name, but our neighbor Jesse took her home with him today. He was so excited. The puppy sat in his sons lap and just cuddled with baby Aaron. He said he was nervous cuz she is so young and he has never had a 6 week old puppy before, but he loves it to death. We said "Happy Father's Day" and you couldn't wipe the shit eating grin off of his face. It was so cool.

So now both of these babies have homes, and are doing well.

I love Mia's personality and hope that I can get her potty trained. Hayley is being a big help in that one, but I wonder how much of it is because she is feeling guilty cuz her hamster got out last night and we can't find her. Ugh, missing hamster.

Anyways, it is raining outside, and the puppy is curled up in Daddy's lap right now and it couldn't be any cuter.

By moonit on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 01:27 am:

I've taken to calling the Pandyr 'daddy' in a breathless little girl voice in front of our friends.

heh

Post pics of the puppy Trace.

By eri on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

We need a camera first. Ours got busted somehow. I dunno, maybe one of the kids. We will post pics as soon as we get them!

By eri on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:49 pm:

On the upside, Spunky found the missing hamster tonight. If you go behind the washing machine and fallow it around there is a hole in the wall where the door meets the wall. Turns out she was hiding in there. SHe came out behind the washer and Spunky heard her and got the flashlight and saw her and she freaked. We pulled it out and I got back there and got her. She was totally freaking. It has been two days since she dissappeared. She is no longer fat at all. Not skinny, but now normal sized and she used to be the fattest hamster I have ever seen. So her cage is taped up where the bottom slides with the part that slides out up against the wall. Total extra security measures so she can't get out of the cage!!!! She drank some and I got her fresh food and she started to eat so I made everyone leave her alone.

Can you believe it? In a house with 3 cats and a puppy that hamster survived 2 days alone and lost outside the cage.

Turns out we need to find a home for Mia's sister again. Anyone want a puppy?

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:15 pm:

Glad to hear you finally got a pup, Eri and Spunky. It's great huh?

Although we've been having a problem with our Sarah lately. She's been developing separation anxiety, and has started chewing/destroying everything in sight -- magazines, phone books, pillows from the couch, the carpet, rugs, etc. I travel a lot, and my wife's gone for 12 hours/day at work, so she's home with our 2 kitties for long stretches. We do have a dog walker come in the middle of the day, but she seems to do the damage before the dog walker gets there. We do have a cage, but I hate the thought of leaving her caged for 12 hours a day. My wife bought this Kava kava extract for her, and it seemed to work for a couple of days, but I hate the thought of sedating her with it every day before we leave, and lately, even with the Kava, she's still chewing stuff.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm thinking of putting up gates in our kitchen (tile floors and not much she can chew), but the cats need to get in the kitchen too, and she'd probably intimidate them from coming in.

I love this dog to death, and she's very sweet -- she's just naughty as hell, and this chewing thing is fairly new and I want to break it soon. Thanks for reading.

By eri on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 10:40 pm:

How big is your dog Dougie?

By Dougie on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 08:11 am:

She's about 65 pounds of pure German Shorthaired Pointer energy, Eri. When we moved into our new house last year, it had all new carpet everywhere but in the kitchen and the bathrooms, and now she and the cats (by clawing it) have destroyed it. I'm thinking of ripping it all up and having hardwood flooring put down. Stupid beasts.

By semillama on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:30 am:

Hardwood is the way to go if you have multiple pets. I think that the kitchen option is the way to go, Dougie. IF your cats need to get in to get food/water, maybe you could move their stuff outside the kitchen onto a plastic mat or something. I have a friend who always keeps his dogs in the kitchen when he is at work. As long as the gate is up, they don't try to leave, although I went over one time when I was walking them for him and somehow the gate had fallen over and they were roaming the house.

By eri on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

I am agreeing with Sem. Put a gate in the kitchen to block her in. Leave some food and water there. Most people I know who have tried it, liked it. It should help save your shoes, and powercords and the like.

Had two cats in the house and a puppy that acted like she had separation anxiety when we were right there with her. She would dig at the carpet, but she was the only one to cause damage. I still think that hardwood or one of those laminate floors wouldn't be a bad idea, but I haven't tried them myself so don't know for sure.

By beta on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

ok,
    some dogs are just prone to anxiety in general, so you'll want to try and eliminate stress from her day
    my suggestion is :
    come and go VERY quietly, don't make a big deal of it when you come home, don't get her overexcited, don't play, just let her out quietly and after about half an hour you can start to play, or go for a walk, or do the things you might normally do
    - have your dog walker do the same, make coming and going a very subdued event
    if you put her in the kitchen with a gate, "practice" being with her with the gate up when you're home (ie- while you're cooking or cleaning) both in and out of the kitchen- make the gate part of her normal routine.
    on weekends, occaisionally "practice" leaving
    go out for 5 minutes at a time, then come back, stay for an hour and leave again VERY QUIETLY, do this several times a day-
    because the dog is afraid that you are not coming back, you want to show her that you ARE coming home, make coming and going a normal part of her life
    if she's chewing- no punishing her for it,just clean it up -punishing her will only heighten her anxiety (there's also no use in punishing her for something she did 6 hours ago she won't associate the action with the punishment- she will only associate being punished with your arrival, heightening her anxiety and making everything worse- the only time you can correct her is if you CATCH her
    i, personally love crates- but you have to make it part of her routine just like the kitchen gate

you can give her a benadryl as well, it has no lasting effects, no risk of drug interraction, and really relaxes them, just make sure it doesn't have any additives

By semillama on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

See, it's this sort of thing is why I'm a cat person.

By beta on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

ok, one more thing-
    try leaving the radio or tv on when you leave (whatever you normally watch or listen to)

By agatha on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

crate train her. i know it seems mean, but it's not.

By moonit on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 09:27 pm:

Dougie - Uh, howcome your dog isn't outside?

Eri - don't you live in an apartment?

By eri on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:14 pm:

Yes, we live in an apartment, and if they actually cared about how many pets we had here it would probably mean trouble. We have a 1,300 square foot apartment, and 3 cats, 2 hamsters, a fishtank and a puppy now. But I love our pets and would not change them for the world. I couldn't have lots of kids, so I will have lots of pets! They are easier than kids anyways.

By moonit on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:29 am:

Don't you feel mean? Do the cats go outside?

Sorry its just really hard to fathom. Here, apartments mean no pets - except maybe fish.

By eri on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

Our apartment is bigger than the last house we lived in. We have this big open grass area that serves as a backyard for the kids (only no swingsets or playhouses). The cats are all indoor cats and have always stayed inside. The puppy gets to go out plenty of times during the day. There is plenty of room for her to run and play out there. So I don't really think it is mean. They are all happy and healthy, so I don't worry about it. I wouldn't mind having a bigger place with a yard, but they want too much money for them. Our apartment is one of the biggest in the area, if not the biggest, and most houses I have seen in our price range are smaller, so I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 09:36 pm:

By dave. on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 09:58 pm:

cute!

hide yer shoes.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 10:41 pm:

she already got one pair of my dress shoes

By spunky on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 10:42 pm:

thank you, by the way

By agatha on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 12:33 am:

She's super cute! I love that golden body with the dark muzzle look. Puppies rule.

Also, I'll say it again- Crate Training, baybee.

By eri on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

Believe it or not, so far she has been really easy to train. I mean, we had her whining at the door when she needed to go out and go potty within one week. She still has the occasional accident, but so does the 3 year old kid.

If you get on her about biting or chewing she gets the hint.

My biggest problem is that she now refuses to eat puppy food. She will only eat table scraps or cat food, and it drives me nuts! I don't know if there is going to be a nutritional problem with her eating cat food.

She has pretty much learned if you leave the cats alone they will leave you alone, but occasionally she will get a wild puppy hair up her ass and try to play with the cats and they will smack the shit out of her (they don't have front claws, so they don't hurt her, just get the message across).

So, so far she has done pretty damned well for a little puppy. I am looking forward to when she is old enough for obedience training cuz I think she will do really well.

Now if I could just get the kids to stop playing with her so that she's wild. She's usually such a well behaved puppy.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 12:19 pm:

does she have that great puppy breath?

limit table scraps eri. you don't want a fat puppy. and if you're teaching her early on that table scraps are a given, she'll come to expect it anytime some one sits at the table. if thats ok with you....so be it, but you know...just keep puppy chow available. eventually she'll eat.

By kazoo on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

Oh she's adorable.

I want a puppy.

By semillama on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 06:27 pm:

There were these pug/beagle crossbreed puppies at the vet on Saturday - cute as hell but god! what a screech they let out!

So, I figure eventually dog ownership is in the future for me, but it will probably be part of getting hitched and home ownership.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact