Now THAT was a shitload of people...

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Now THAT was a shitload of people...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Sunday, April 9, 2006 - 10:30 pm:

Just got back from the biggest gathering of folks I've ever seen: linky

And, yes, there really were at least 350K people there.

Earler in the week my uncle called me up and said, "Wanna go to a riot?" How could I resist. The only thing was that I was playing trombone at a Palm Sunday church service that same morning. So in one day I'd have the chance to do something I rarely do: go to church, wear a suit, and go to a riot. How could I resist.

It was anything but a riot. In fact, I think if anyone intended to cause trouble, the headlines would read, "Riot quickly quelled by mob of angry grandmothers." The crowd was huge because everyone AND THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY showed up. I'm sure that the headcount is low because of this: at least 1/3rd of the crowd were infants and children. I shit you not.

So there I was, wearing a charcoal grey suit near the front of the crowd in a sea of latinos all wearing white shirts. I stuck out like a necrotic
    thumb. I saw few hostile looks of any sort, though. Even when my uncle wanted to leave early, and we literally walked from the front of the crowd to the rear with an entire mob of folks looking at us, (this took about ten minutes) there weren't many looks of, "what the fuck is that pendejo doing here?" Overall a peaceful, but highly motivated crowd.

Fucking awesome. The sleeper awakens.

By droopy on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:17 am:

there was protesting in fort worth, too. on a smaller scale, but pretty big in terms of what you can fit in such a small city. i didn't go to it, though; i already had plans to go to a cookout in weatherford.

By sarah on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:12 pm:

i seriously (seriously!) want to vote for kinky, i'm hoping he makes the ballot.

the only thing that troubles me is that i just can't get clear about his take on border-control issues.

on his website it says:

Q: Are our border problems important to Kinky?

A: Extremely. Kinky believes the border issue is one of the biggest problems facing Texas today, and it can no longer be ignored. Texas policy under Governor Rick Perry has been "give us your tired, your weak, your poor, your criminals, your drug dealers and your terrorists—welcome to Texas".

Kinky supports the legislation passed in March 2006 by the Senate Judiciary Committee, which includes the legalization of the country's 11 million illegal immigrants who hold jobs, pass background checks, and pay fines and taxes.

Kinky also supports a guest worker program which would allow approximately 400,000 new guest workers per year. In fact, Kinky has been calling for a Bracero-sized work program since he first announced his candidacy for governor in February 2005. He is the only candidate to have done so.

If elected, Kinky would meet with Governors Bill Richardson (New Mexico) and Janet Napolitano (Arizona) to develop a coordinated border state plan to supplement federal efforts at stemming the tide of illegal immigration. To date, Governor Perry, a Republican, has not met with Democrats Richardson or Napolitano.

i just can't get my head around that. he's so much more exact on all other issues and his plans for how he's going to make things happen. this one is too vague for me.

but then again, shit, i'm not sure there's anyone else to vote for.

By kazu on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 04:04 pm:

it sounds pretty clear to me. he wants to distinguish those
    who come here to work from those who might come here
    to make trouble, by making sure there are ways for those
    who work to gain rights and protections, either through
    legalization or in a guest worker program. his is a pro-active
    stance set against Perry's stance, which he characterizes
    as lazy, not bothering to distinguish the weak and the poor
    from the criminal.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact