I am coming out

sorabji.com: What have you done?: I am coming out
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Jim aka Pajama on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 12:57 am:

So as some of you know, Petrock, who was a regular here some years back, died in June. This is something which has been devastating to me. Trying to keep cool yesterday while off work, I found myself at the computer writing an Op-Ed which I hope the Washington Post will publish.

Basically, the gist of the piece is I'm acknowledging the impact Petrock had on my life and am coming out to those who don't know. Whether or not the Post opts to publish it, I fully plan on making sure everyone in my family and my friends, sees it.

Is it a cop out to come out in writing vs. in person? For some reason now seems the right time and this seems like the right way to do it.

By droopy on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 01:09 am:

if it feels good, do it.

By Antigone on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 03:25 am:

Getting published in the Wasington Post?

Are you coming out as a famous person?

By dave. on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 03:57 am:

wait. are you saying EVERYONE doesn't know you're gay? you're kidding yourself. i suspect you'll hear a lot of, "dude. we know."

do it anyway and get it over with.

i guess i should also say that, if someone were trying to send ME a message via a wapo op-ed, i'd probably never get that message.

also, is such a declaration really necessary?

i mean, is it like an alcoholic has to make that declaration if they're on the 12-step path to recovery?

i'm not comfortable with treating being gay like it's a disease.

or maybe it's like if a close friend of mine confided to me that they were a born-again republican, left-behind, mega-church, fundamentalist. i'd be like, whoa, i'm gonna need some time to digest that.

i guess some folks still think being gay is as the same as being batshit insane.

By dave. on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 04:04 am:

and those folks are, ironically, completely batshit insane.

By dave. on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 04:07 am:

not to be denigrating batshit.

By Czarina on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 09:21 am:

You're not the govenor of somewhere are you?

By sarah on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 11:17 am:

so what happened to Petrock? how did he die? how old was he?

when i first learned he died, it was a shock and a blow.

it's surprising to me too, that people in your life don't know you're homosexual. you have a very out personality.

i agree with dave too. needing to announce one's sexuality seems weird, in the same way it's weird that people still assume everyone is straight until other evidence interferes with that assumption.

anyway, i hope it goes well for you.

By patrick on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 12:49 pm:

the whole concept of outing oneself is strange but if you feel you need to do it, do it on your terms.

i had no idea about petrock, nor did i have any idea as to his relation to you and

im sorry.

By Jim aka Pajama on Thursday, August 3, 2006 - 12:57 pm:

Anti: No, I am not. :)

Dave: Whether they do or not isn't the point for me, it's me acknowledging it. I think once I post the piece here it will make more sense. I do have several relations who are right wing "christian catholic" whackos who will probably be aghast, and I agree, fuck em. But I'm tired of pretending for their sake.

Czarina: Not a governor of a state. I was once queen for a day though. LOL

Dave: Yeah, don't be so mean to batshit.

Sarah: He drowned in the ocean while on vacation with his family. He was 43. And trust me, it's still a shock and a blow.

By Czarina on Friday, August 4, 2006 - 08:55 am:

I thought it was posted that he died of a heart attack?

Do we have an imposter here?

By Jim aka Pajama on Friday, August 4, 2006 - 10:14 am:

He did have a heart attack, while in the water, and drowned. No imposter. Wish his death were one.

By Dani on Saturday, August 5, 2006 - 10:53 am:

Huh? Jim told me on AIM before he posted anything about it here that Pete had a heart attack. Never mentioned any kind of water incident.
    If you are Jim, answer this..what are the "supplements" I like so much?

By Czarina on Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 10:24 am:

Hey Dani!

By Dani on Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 10:31 pm:

Hey CZ! How are you?

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 12:32 am:

LOL vitamins, Danilicious! Toasterovenbuns!

:)

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 12:36 am:

Czarina.... do you still play scrabble?

By Dani on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 01:06 am:

Yup, that's Jimbabe alright!

MUST have my vitamins!

By Czarina on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 10:26 am:

Haven't played scrabble since I played with you :(

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 03:18 pm:

is it defunct now? scrabble, that is?

By Czarina on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 10:04 am:

I honestly don't know if its still going. I haven't been around here too much the last few years.

Too many *trolls*. I get tired of the nonsensical repetitive posts.

I've been trying to check in more often, but seem to have a short attention span, when I do get here.

By V on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 04:30 pm:

Czarina,perhaps we all become predicable,like any long term relationship.

By Jim aka Pajama on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:36 pm:

Ok so the Post decided against printing my piece. I then submitted it to DC's local gay paper, The Washington Blade. And the editor e-mailed me yesterday saying he'd like to use it. So we'll see. Unless I'm completely wrong, I doubt anyone in my family will see it by opening the Blade. LOL But, I'm sticking by my guns and am going to send a copy to everyone.

By droopy on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:49 pm:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm comin' out
    so you better get this party started

mazel tov

By Dani on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 09:38 am:

The Washington Blade!!!

Ohhhh Myyyyy....

Damn I luv you Jimbabe

Bet you would make an awesome daily vitamin.

Vitamin J?

By Jim aka Pajama on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 01:33 pm:

Danke, droopy.

No, Dani. Vitamin R. Don't ask unless ya really wanna know. ROFLMAO

By Dani on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 02:46 pm:

Is a pigs pussy pork Jimbabe?

Of course I want to know.

Spill........

By agatha on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 08:55 pm:

You go, Jim! You should send it to the National Enquirer, too- it would be really hilarious if they printed it. You aren't britney spears, so chances are they would take a pass, but it's funny to think about.

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:17 am:

Rimming. :)

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:18 am:

LOL agatha! But I am sexier than Kevin Federline.

By Dani on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:01 pm:

MUCH sexier!

What the fuck is Rimming??

By Nelly on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:14 pm:

Hey, can't you do a scintilla of research? Google it...

By Dani on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:36 pm:

Hey, I think Jim's explanation will be much more interesting and entertaining than some lame google crap...

By agatha on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 01:49 pm:

By Dani on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:05 pm:

I had never heard of tossing the salad until I went to that link Agatha posted. Just when I thought I knew it all.
    Gave me a good laugh.

By semillama on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 05:09 pm:

Jim, you really should have emulated the coming out scene in the Kids in the Hall movie Brain Candy. A parade and a musical number would leave much more of an impression on your folks than some article in any newspaper.

By V on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 04:39 pm:

Jim,v dont tend to think you are the original Jim the gay boy going back to 1998,now if you aint,v will whup your ass,v is kinda good on that.

By V on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:03 pm:

...but I would expect you enjoy a good spanking :)

By Jim aka Pajama on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 07:24 pm:

Hmmmm. V is kinda annoying isn't she?

Agatha-- thanks for the wikipedia link.

Dani-- LOL yeah my explanations are usually more fun. :-P

Sem-- ROFL, but I loathe parades.

By Jim aka Pajama on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 07:28 pm:

By agatha on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 07:49 pm:

Jim, that's wonderful. I'm so proud of you.

By V on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 08:51 pm:

Jim,tell me more about your friend that died,Pete Foreskin.

By dave. on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 09:21 pm:

good job, jim.

By Nate on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:31 pm:

omg ur gay?!?!

congratulations jim. poignant and touching.

By jack on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 11:21 pm:

very nice, jim.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 11:59 pm:

Uhmm, Jim... Very Nice....

By kazu on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:39 am:

"but I loathe parades"

oh god me too

By kazu on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:39 am:

"but I loathe parades"

oh god me too

By Nate on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 02:35 am:

"but i loathe parades"

oh god me too

but i love a good conga line

By Antigone on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 04:04 am:

Jim, being gay is cool, but being in congress? You should be ashamed! :P

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:01 am:

By Antigone on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:12 pm:

Oooo... Provocative yet evasively evocative. I love it.

By Dani on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:35 pm:

Just read it Jimbabe! Good job.

I've always been proud of you and proud to call you my friend.

By sarah on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 03:49 pm:

fuckity fuck fuck. blocked at work.

By agatha on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 03:53 pm:

At the risk of really embarrassing Jim...

Laying my cards on the table (Gay)
    The death of a close friend inspired me to come out to everyone in my life.

By JIM SLATTERY
    Friday, August 25, 2006

THE LIFE AND recent death of one of my closest friends has completely altered the course of mine, and his passing has caused me to rethink the way I live on a much greater scale.

I have known I was gay as long as I can remember, even before I knew of the term “gay.” Twenty-five years ago, though, publicly making such an admission was not nearly as “easy” as it is today.

Growing up as the fat kid in a dysfunctional family situation was never easy. I had few friends, and the transition from Catholic grade school to public high school was a pure nightmare. But this isn’t about my seeking pity, rather to gain an insight into why the influence of one friend is and remains so great.

About a decade ago, I met Pete Deakin online in a D.C. chat forum. Over the course of a year, Pete and I became friends, mostly going to movies and grabbing a bite to eat occasionally.

And then in June 1998, Pete invited me to attend D.C.’s Gay Pride parade and festival with him and a friend.

I was hesitant. What if someone saw me? What if I was on the news or in the newspaper?

Pete prevailed and I went, and I had the best time. I saw that everyone there was just like me. We were people, everyday people, who worked for the government, the phone company, the grocery store or at a law firm.

That day, by strong-arming me into going with him to my first Gay Pride, Pete forever changed my life and ultimately gave me the ability to like myself for who I was, and accept myself for what I am — a gay man.

WHEN PETE DIED very unexpectedly while on vacation with his family in June, it sent a jolt through his entire circle of friends and co-workers and then through many of our friends, families and co-workers.

At the funeral, we met his family, whom he had talked about often but did not see regularly. They were the nicest people. Pete wasn’t out to his family, and perhaps this is why he didn’t visit them more than he did, but I’ve since learned that they knew he was gay.

Knowing this, I just cannot possibly remain the Jim Slattery that some people think they know. I am out at work, I am out to some in my family, and the support I have received is what drives my coming out now, to all.

I do not want my friends and family to meet at my funeral as Pete’s did. I have awesome friends, straight and gay, and I have a great extended family.

Might some of my many cousins or aunts or uncles no longer speak to me? Quite possibly. Does it matter to me? In the short term, sure, but I just cannot let fear of the unknown be the driving factor in my life anymore.

Thank you, Pete, for that swift kick toward self-realization eight years ago and now, finally, for helping me lay all my cards on the table. You were a true friend and, though you are gone, that friendship continues to help guide me. Perhaps it always will.

By sarah on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 04:23 pm:

holy shit that is so, just, fucking great.

Jim, not that it matters either way, but you look neither fat nor hairy.

i'm impressed in a way i can't even explain. much respect.

By J on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:37 pm:

You did yourself proud Jim.Hey Dani glad to see your still around:)

By Dani on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:39 pm:

I'm always around J but thanks! Hope you are doing well.

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:44 pm:

Right back atcha, Danilicious. You're one of the most bitchin' ass cool and overall nice motherfucking people I know.

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:47 pm:

Agatha, DUH, I didn't even think to just cut and paste it. Thanks!

J-- gracias.

Sarah, Thank you. LOL But I am indeed fat and hairy. :)

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:47 pm:

Agatha, DUH, I didn't even think to just cut and paste it. Thanks!

J-- gracias.

Sarah, Thank you. LOL But I am indeed fat and hairy. :)

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:49 pm:

Argh. I hate double posting. Apologies.

By Dani on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:53 pm:

You are the poptart in my toaster oven Jimbabe. Always have been and always will be.

Listen my friend..I don't know if you read all the info off that web page that Agatha posted but that rimming stuff seems kinda...dangerous.

Thoroughly washing the area can help reduce the risk of diseases. Another way to protect against any health risks is by placing a sheet of plastic wrap (or a dental dam) over the anus. This allows the passive partner to receive stimulation while protecting the active partner from bacterial infection.

PLASTIC WRAP???

nooooooooooooo thank you.

By Czarina on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 01:17 am:

I see nothing fat nor hairy. Just a heartfelt tribute to a dear friend, who obviously greaty inspired you.

I can feel in your words, how much you miss your friend. I am so sorry. Try and remember, in your down times, how fortunate you were to have had this person in your life. That is his gift to you.

Great job on the article!

By Jim aka Pajama on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:47 am:

Dani-- LOL no I didn't read it, but I'm fully aware of the um... cleanliness needs. ;-)

Czarina-- Much appreciated.

By V on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 06:53 pm:

By V on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 06:57 pm:

..Its just I thought "fat,gay,thats jack",that is,,,

By Dani on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 09:44 pm:

That aint even close to being Jim.

My Jimbabe is very sexy.

I've been trying to get him to play on my team for YEARS now. No luck though.

YET

By Jim aka Pajama on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:26 pm:

Dani, you know if I were to play on your team, you'd be first on my list... even before Susan Sarandon!

:)

By Dani on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:58 pm:

You and your Susan Sarandon!

By Jim aka Pajama on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:21 am:

lol

By RC on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 05:04 am:

HOLY SHIT -- PETROCK DIED!?!

What a blow! He was so much fun around here. I haven't been here in ages, but I'm sorry to learn such terrible news. Jeesh, he was 2 years younger than me...

I've had relatives & family friends dropping like flies over the last year. I go to bed every nite wondering who'll croak next.

PyjamaBoy, say whatever you want in yr op-ed piece. There's nothing wrong with coming out in print vs. face to face.

And Hi to all you fabulous folks I haven't interacted with in years... The cats & I are fine. Hope you & yours (& His Markness) are all doing well.

- RC

By Jim aka Pajama on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 01:10 pm:

RC! OMG, holy crap. Long time no see! A very pleasant blast from the past though. Glad all is well, but sorry about all the croaking. What's new with you?

By Nelly on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 09:53 pm:

hey RC. Glad you came back and haven't croaked. I'm still around too... sort of...

By sarah on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:34 am:

RC.

Nelly.

Spiracle.

yay!

(i'm drunk)

but yay! RC!!

By Czarina on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:16 pm:

I feel an apology is in order. From me. To you Jim aka Pajama. And to you, sweetums Dani. With all the ridiculous tom-foolery going on around here, I just wasn't sure that you were the *real* Jim and Dani.

I am VERY glad to see you posting again. And am even happier, that you are indeed the *real* folks.

I apologize again for my suspiciousnes, as to your identities.

And a big how-de-do to you RC!

By Czarina on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:32 pm:

Jim, I wanted to ask if you got any feedback from your article. Any of your family or friends respond in any way?

And how do you feel? That was a tremendously couragious thing to do. I would think it was cathartic, and somewhat exhilarating.

You can be proud, my friend.

By Dani on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:34 pm:

You really thought it wasn't me CZ?!?! I had no idea that you were even suspicious!!!

That is to funny.

It's all good girl.

We need to catch up. It's been a couple of years I think.

Talk to me sometime.

AIM- DaniGirlFlorida1

e-mail- danigirl28@yahoo.com

Jim and I have some hysterical conversations on AIM.

By Jim aka Pajama on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:08 pm:

Czarina: Being that DC has a fairly sizeable gay population who reads the local gay rag, I shouldnt' have been surprised that people I didn't know would stop me and tell me how moved they were and how sorry they were about Pete's passing (the print edition had my pic and a pic of Pete and I together). On Tuesday of this week I sent the article via e-mail to all of my couins, aunts, uncles, family friends, etc.

I have heard back from almost everyone and everyone was very supportive. Even the right wing christian branch from southern Virginia who I thought were going to go all apeshit and flail their bibles about at me, we nothing more than supportive.

One of my cousins who lives in Florida said that I was now "a more interesting person" to them. Others told me if anyone had issue with me then they were "twits," or "screwy." An uncle told me he didn't get why so many gays felt that eveyrone else were "clueless boobies" about such matters.

So all in all, what I've struggled with internally for most of my life was something in the end that didn't really matter.

I do think though, that much credit has to be given to increased visability towards us in the news, on TV and in music, making such coming out declarations less of an event than they might have been even 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's just as hard for younger folks today to work up the courage, but I do think things are better.

Now I'm rambling on I think. LOL

Oh and yes, Dani and I are in fact the REAL Jim aka Pajama and Dani. What made you think we weren't?

By Czarina on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:41 pm:

Don't think for a moment that you are rambling on! I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't concerned. I am really glad that you got such supportive responses.

That was such a heatrfelt article, and I could feel the emotions that you penned.You are an admirable gentleman.

As for why I was suspicious, just too much troll activity on the boards. I suspect that many others have left here for the very same reason , that drove me away. Nobody wants to read that nonsensical drivel.

I am tickled that you are back!

Dani love, I'm off this week-end, and will email you so we can catch up.I better get off to bed now, as I still work nights, and have to go back in at 7pm.

By Dani on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:00 pm:

I look forward to it CZ.

Enjoy your weekend off.

By V on Friday, September 1, 2006 - 06:36 pm:

Jim,pehaps you you are indeed the real Jim,hi from v in London.Between you and me Jim,I find all gays kinda cool people,I just dont get a problem with them,but dont tell jack,he hates me as I keep posting this to him http://www.funpic.hu/swf/numanuma.html its Hungarian,gay,and fun.

By sarah on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 02:12 pm:

hey Jimbabe,

did you see Jim McGreevey on the daily show last night?

he was hilarious, and spot on.

kinda made me think of you.

he was put in the Seat of Heat. the question was, "If you had to pick one, which person do you think will be the next to 'come out'? Hillary Clinton or Condi Rice?"

heh.

By V on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 08:26 pm:

v is still waiting for jack to come out,he will,one day.

By V on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 08:30 pm:

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 07:06 pm:

sarah, no I missed that. while I truly appreciate and respect Jon Stewart's digging at all things I like to dig on too, I can't stand him. something about him sends me up the wall. goes back to his SNL days.

but... but... I was at the Baltimore Book Festival last Sunday, and he was scheduled to do a reading and a signing from his book. I literally ran into him in the crowd as I was backing away from a book publishing 101 tent. and he was more attractive in person than in photos.

how did he respond to the Hillary/Condi question?

By V on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 09:29 pm:

By jack on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 09:29 pm:

they're going to play that video at v's funeral party

By V on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 09:41 pm:

By jack on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 09:47 pm:

that is HILARIOUS!

thanks.

By V on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 04:28 pm:

jack,you are more than welcome.

By Me........... on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:46 am:

jim------are you still around?????........remember me??? me....and my daughter mandy......remember the fun we had with our postings-you, me, petrock, and liam....i am so sorry and so late in hearing and reading about petrock........remember-you guys were freaked out to find i was a female.......and not gay, even.....but we were funny, weren't we????
    jimbo, come back........

By V on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 07:47 pm:

...you know,I allways knew jack was gay.

By Me....... on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:14 pm:

who's jack?

By agatha on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:20 pm:

Where the hell is Jack? I'm going to be pissed if V scared Jack off.
    *shakes fist*

By V on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 05:46 pm:

agatha,you must have known he was a pervert from years back,v did.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact