Behold...Ada!

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Behold...Ada!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 11:13 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 11:18 pm:

Wow, that so cute, glad that your a Dad! :-)

By moonit on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 12:42 am:

Congratulations Tiggy, she's gorgeous!

By droopy on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 01:01 am:

i can only get a blank screen when i click on the link, so i just have to imagine her as a tiny version of tiggy.

just adorable.

By J on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 02:28 am:

She's beautiful,soo precious.Love,the movie. You've done yourself proud Tiggy:)

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 02:36 am:

Try again, droop. My upstream bandwidth is limited, so the link might have timed out.

Thanks, ya'll. :)

By semillama on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 11:01 am:

Why is she wearing body armor in the "confused" photo?

Congrats!

By agatha on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 12:15 pm:

I really like the video. She's really really cute, and you know I'd tell you if she was ugly, so there. Are you exhausted?

By platypus on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 02:22 pm:

Congratulations, Antigone. It looks like she was worth the wait.

By sarah on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 07:17 pm:

YAY! you did it! i'm so happy for you and your family.

Ada is a very pretty baby. she looks so impossibly tiny. what did she weigh?

how did labor and delivery go?

By heather on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 02:33 am:

damn that is an amazing baby!

By droopy on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 02:58 am:

i've gotten to the point that i can get a background, but still no pictures.

it's my fault. it's always my fault.

By Karla on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 03:39 pm:

She's gorgeous! And what a beautiful name. Congrats. I hope she continues to sleep well. It makes a world of difference.

By The watcher on Thursday, September 6, 2007 - 06:30 pm:

yes

By agatha on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 12:30 pm:

Gosh, I wonder why Tiggy hasn't checked back in to respond to all of our comments!

Kidding.

I think we all need to pitch in and get droop a computer that actually works.

By heather on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 12:39 pm:

i'm in

By Antigone on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 08:11 pm:

I'm in. I'll install it too. The current mac minis look good, ya?

I've been busy, but also wanted to
    make a detailed post about the birth. I'll be home in a few hours
    and will post when I get settled.

By droopy on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 10:09 pm:

it isn't so much that i need a new computer; it's just that i'm such a lazy-ass technophobe that i can't even be bothered to figure out how to work the one i've got.

but i can still picture antigone, naked on a bear skin rug, with a pacifier in his mouth

By Antigone on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 10:58 pm:

It can be arranged.

By wisper on Friday, September 7, 2007 - 11:50 pm:

HAWT

By Antigone on Saturday, September 8, 2007 - 07:01 pm:

So, here's the story. I sent out this e-mail right after the birth:

Ada Susan Elizabeth Barton was born today at 1:30pm at St Paul Hospital in Dallas. Like her parents she started life as a trouble maker. Ada's heart rate was decreasing too much during Marci's contractions. When the doc saw this he headed straight for the OR: Emergency C section. Ada came out with the umbilical cord around her neck. She wasn't in that state for long, though, so no I'll effects. Marci and Ada are healthy and happy. :)

Ada had an apgar score of 9 after birth, so there was no apparent ill effects from the umbilical cord. Scary for a bit, but now everything's fine.

By sarah on Sunday, September 9, 2007 - 12:53 am:

so her heart rate was decreasing because the cord was around her neck?

that's a very good apgar score, from what i understand.

how long was Marci in labor before the c section?

By Antigone on Sunday, September 9, 2007 - 02:26 am:

Ya, highest possible apgar is 10. The maternity nurses said only pediatrician's kids get a 10. :)

Marci had been in light labor for about 13 hours. Her water broke at 11:15 on the 27th. About an hour after we got to the hospital the doc gave her a topical drug to soften up her cervix. After 8 hours it hadn't done much (no dilation) and the contractions were still light. At that point Marci got pitocin to induce. The contractions got more intense, but she still wouldn't dilate. After the epidural the contractions lessened even more, and then the fireworks started.

The baby's heart rate typically drops during contractions. This was happening (as expected) during the entire labor. The problem happened just after the epidural was put in. That was when Ada's heart rate started to crash. It only happened four or five times before I got the nurse. (It was getting progressively worse: 130bpm (normal) to 100, then 90, 80, 70. I got the nurse at 80.) Then the doc put in an internal fetal heart monitor. At that point Ada's heart rate went down to 70 and stayed there, and the C-section was done 15 minutes later. (They were QUICK.)

It's my understanding that the heart rate crash was due to the cord around the neck, ya. Marci's water had been broken for 13 hours at that point, and it's not uncommon for the cord to become tangled when there's not a lot of fluid to float around in. The way I see it, Ada had the typical trauma all kids go through with a vaginal birth, only just in another way. She just didn't have to come out looking like a conehead. :)

By Veda on Sunday, September 9, 2007 - 06:13 pm:

congratulations!! she is so adorable and ada is a kickass name.

By sarah on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 04:29 pm:

well, i'm happy everything turned out okay. that sounds like a lot to go through.

i'm hoping, with the help of a doula, to stay at home as long as possible. i only live 2 miles from the hospital, so maybe i can go there just before it's time to push her out.

they say you have to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days, and i can understand why, with the blood and the breast feeding and the baby's health, and all.

but how boring!

anyway, post more pictures, please.

By Antigone on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 03:14 am:

More pics are up, and one more movie

By sarah on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 08:11 pm:

so cute! a sleeper, you are lucky.

i still can't see the movies.

By Antigone on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 03:11 pm:

Do you have quicktime?

By sarah on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 03:59 pm:

yes.

By agatha on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:30 pm:

tiggy, are you guys tired?

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 03:04 am:

yep.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:27 pm:

how's it going so far?

tell me everything.

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 03:43 pm:

Marci is tired and a tad stressed, but I'm not worried about any postpartum blues yet. Absolute Ada love seems to be balancing things well. Ada's gone through one growth spurt and is probably hitting another now. She was up to 7lb 1oz as of a week ago. (6lb 11oz at birth, 6lb 4oz at one week)

Ada just started grasping things today. I've got a green squid plush toy that she seems to like, and she's been throwing her arm at it and opening her hand at the same time.

She definitely recognizes Marci and I'm pretty sure she recognizes me.

She had an acne breakout this morning. Babies' skin is very sensitive, and she's had mild acne since birth, but this was a bit more dramatic. Nothing out of the ordinary, though.

There's more, bit it involves poop.

By JusMiceElf on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:05 pm:

Hey, Mazel Tov!

She is a cutie.

Those first days really go by in a blur, and a lot of it involves poop.
    It's amazing how much of it they can store in those little bodies of
    theirs.

By J on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 03:02 am:

Your slacking in Ada updates Tiggy and JusMiceElf never even posted a picture of his baby girl and now there's a new bun in the oven that we probably won't get to see.Tsk tsk.

By agatha on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 01:45 pm:

Agreed. Step up, boy!

By platypus on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 09:44 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 04:49 am:

wow, nice of you guys post the picture on the gallery. I must admit that, I thought nate is a woman, but I was wrong.

By heather on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 02:18 pm:

post your fine self, pepper

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 02:24 pm:

I wish I could. :-)

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 06:40 pm:

Oh, tay. I won't have time this weekend, but after that I'm on it...

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 06:45 am:

Antigone, how tall are you? I am curious.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 03:23 pm:

6'4"

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 04:51 pm:

Wow, mine is 6'2" , my brother and my grandfather (on my mom side), they are 6'3".

By j.h. on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 05:53 pm:

Mine is about as long has my hand, from the heel of my palm to the tip of my middle finger.

By semillama on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 05:56 pm:

that's generally the standard proportion for most men.

Dr. Pepper must have grotesquely huge hands that drag behind him on the ground when walks.

By j.h. on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 06:57 pm:

either that or he's 60 feet tall

By Antigone on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 01:03 am:

We just had Ada's 1st birthday party a week ago. I haven't updated the site yet, but check it soon. Also, there's tons more there since the last post on this thread.

By Nate on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 01:24 am:

christ. i hate first birthdays when the baby was only born last month.

By Antigone on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 03:18 am:

Eh?

By kazu on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 10:47 am:

I'm with Nate.

By Antigone on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 11:27 am:

Boo?

By sarah on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 01:21 pm:

we're having a keg at my daughter's first birthday party.

but whatever.

By Nate on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 02:06 pm:

my niece is going to be 10 this year.

i think this is key problem with kids. they make these dramatic leaps from year to year, and it reminds you of how quickly time now passes.

By Nate on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 02:08 pm:

congratulations on having a one year old, tiggy. she's clearly a remarkable girl, having bested the paradox of both resembling her father and not looking like the nut sack of an octogenarian.

By agatha on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 02:53 pm:

Yeah, she's definitely too much. She looks like such a jolly baby. And, that hair! It's all eighties looking. How can she be one already? You make me feel old!

By Antigone on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 10:38 pm:

You ain't kiddin', Nate. I constantly marvel at the fact that she looks like me, and yet is still cute. Hopefully she won't end up like Jenna Bush.

And, not to brag, but she's smart as hell. She had object persistence awareness about three months earlier than average. Just now, while Marci was putting her to bed, she turned her back for a second and Ada crawled across the entire house, down one hallway, through two doorways, and half way up one set of stairs because she knew I was still in the den and I guess wanted to see me before going to bed.

Frikkin' genius baby.

I was feeding her this morning and she was putting the lid back on the food jar, flipping it over the right way so it would screw on correctly. And last week, while I was putting the batteries back in a toy, she crawled up, grabbed the lid to the battery compartment, and put it over the batteries when I was done. I hadn't shown her that, she just watched me and did it herself. Now, when she plays with the toy, she picks it up and slams it on the floor so the batteries come out. :)

We're also teaching her the names of things. She knows the names of 2 out of 3 of our pets. She knows the names of all four grandparents. She knows my uncle's name. Granted, she can't say their names, but we say, "Where's grandpa Howard" and she looks at him and sometimes points.

OK, so I am babble bragging here. Can't help it. :)

By J on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 03:22 am:

You should brag,she's definately cut right out of your ass only prettier.They grow soo fast.

By patrick on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 04:38 pm:

makes miss when mine was that little. happy birthday little one!

By sarah on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 11:45 am:

gosh that first year went by fast! she is so adorable, her hair is starting to come in nicely and get a little long and that was back in July. hurry and post new photos!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact