Wrote a letter to Barney Frank

sorabji.com: What have you done?: Wrote a letter to Barney Frank
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Jim aka Pajama on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 09:29 am:

In the last year, I've taken to writing our wonderful whacky conservative Congressmen and anyone else who spouts off, saying they are going to fight gay marriage and do anything they can to undo any advances we've made. Now I've had to write Barney Frank after he said those of us participating in the National Equality March in DC last weekend were "wasting our time..." So, at Sarah's suggestion... here it is:

October 16, 2009

Congressman Barney Frank
    2252 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Congressman Frank:

As a gay man who was married on September 5 of this year in Provincetown, in your State, I cannot begin to tell you how stunned and disappointed I was by recent comments made by you related to the National Equality March.

Mr. Frank, I have spent a great deal of time writing to current and former colleagues of yours criticizing them for their short-sighted comments and statements about who I, you and so many others choose to love and be loved by. I recall writing the late Rep. Jo Ann Davis after she decided that for some reason it was in the interest of her constituents in the 1st Congressional district of Virginia that she help define the word ‘marriage’ as it pertained to residents of the District of Columbia.

This year alone, I have written to Congressmen Jim Jordan and Dan Boren about their similar attempts to legislate the same. And then there’s Rep. Jason Chaffetz who said he planned on fighting the newly introduced gay marriage bill in the District of Columbia. He seemed to complain that “Given the gravity of health care and other tumultuous debate, it hasn't got much attention.” I told him that I couldn’t agree with him more adding that denying citizens of our country basic human rights should never be on any legislator’s agenda.

Imagine my surprise then, Congressman, when I read press accounts of your comments about the March. Do you seriously believe the march was “a waste of time at best?” Or that it was merely an emotional release? Did you really say these things, and mean them? Really?

You know, sir, you are well within your rights to personally believe what you said, but you have a responsibility to the GLBT community to stand by us and not away from us, as you felt it was necessary to do on October 11. This is especially important where our GLBT youth are concerned. In today’s wonderful society, coming out is not as frightening a prospect as it was not too long ago. Still though, for many, especially the young, it is not an easy thing to do.

We must stand together, not apart, so that our GLBT brothers and sisters who need our guidance and wisdom feel comfortable seeking it. Public statements like those made by you are just as harmful as those made by your conservative colleagues. Comments such as these serve no one well.

While I have tremendous respect for your career, I have to tell you that your comments, for me, cast a pall over what was otherwise a wonderful March. It is my hope that you will reconsider what you said and apologize.

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

James A. Slattery
    Washington, D.C.

By sarah on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 04:46 pm:

there is little about US legislation that troubles me more than this issue. that we live in a country where civil rights is so fundamental, yet the majority of people cannot accept gay marriage as a basic civil right is downright barbaric.

furthermore, no public marches or demonstrations should ever be viewed as a waste of time. it seems like in the last twenty years the government is deaf to public demonstrations, and they've not been as effective. they government no longer fears or respects the people they represent, instead they've made us for the most part placcid and fearful.

By Jim aka Pajama on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

Legislating this kinda thing is nuts. Reminds me of a couple years ago when Congress was in the process of renewing the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as it was expiring. WHY does something like that have an expiration???

By platypus on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 08:42 pm:

Civil rights should not have an expiration date.

And I just...I don't get the opposition to sex marriage thing at all. Who the fuck cares who anyone marries? It's not like we're asking that same sex marriage be MANDATED for all Americans or some such nonsense; you marry who you want, I marry who I want, it's all good! What's the problem?!

Good for you, writing to people. Do you ever get a response? I've been trying to pick an elected official a week to write to, and I never hear back. Used to be that you would at least get a form letter or something. I guess that goes to show you how much contempt most elected officials have for their constituents and the electorate as a whole.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 08:45 pm:

Jim, that letter is great.

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:10 am:

Platy- No I never get a response.
    Thx, Spider. :)

On an interesting note... when we were going up to Provincetown, MA to get married, a couple days before, my now sister-in-law had her driver's license taken away for an insurance lapse and motor vehicles wouldn't give her a non-driver's ID. Thus she wasn't going to be able to come to the wedding. So after several calls to her state legislature, and motor vehicles, I called her US Congressman and explained the situation. Within an hour motor vehicles had faxed her photo and relevant info to the airline, ferry terminal and airports and sent her a copy and she had no problems.

Afterward, I sent a letter commending his staffer for her help. He replied with a very gracious letter. Wasn't until then I found out he is a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage. I'm debating re-writing him and asking him to consider his position given he's helped make my same-sex marriage more special. LOL Is that wrong?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact