It is dangerous to be sincere

sorabji.com: How do you do?: It is dangerous to be sincere
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By George Bernard Shaw on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:55 pm:

unless you are also stupid.

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 09:52 am:

Kahlil Gibran says that no one believes the sincere except the honest. This is true. In a related note, the saying that you see the world by the light you cast is also true.

I am feeling very negative today. It may be just PMS, but I can't tell. All I know is that I am in a very unhappy and distressed state, and there doesn't appear to be anything I can do to change that, except to change jobs and move to another part of the country. I would make concrete plans to do this, but I have not yet decided what part of the country and what job I want.

By dave. on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 10:29 am:

i think sincerely happy would be more accurate.

i think happiness, like wealth, is uncommon, which is why it's the ideal.

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:17 am:

I'd settle for contentment.

It's not usually this bad. But since the car accident and the day off I had to take on Friday, everything has gone up in flames.

I realize now that I very much dislike working at a job with no long-term goals to work towards but instead little problems that you have to solve every day. As much as you work, there is always more to do, and it's more of the same exact thing. Only the names change. It's suffocating.

In August, it was proposed that my job would morph into more of a managerial position, where I would be responsible for coordinating work with someone doing essentially what I'm doing now. But that didn't make much sense to me (I couldn't conceive of what I would actually be responsible for doing. I mean, literally, what would my day be like?), so I haven't yet taken steps to start the transition. (Also, I don't like it when someone comes up with an idea and makes me write it up. It's your idea; you write it up. I don't know what you want me to say. And telling me "it can be rough -- I'll just tear it apart anyway" is not motivating....if you're going to tear it apart, you must know what you want. Which I don't. So again, you should write it.)

This is what I'm tired of -- inefficiency. But it's humbling to discover that if things were actually run efficiently around here, I wouldn't have a job; there would be no need for me.

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:31 am:

im tired of no growth potential.

the job market is absolutely pathetic right now.

i hang my head at night.

i'd settle for some security.

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:37 am:

you should come to CA to satisfy both our curiosities spider. that is nate and i.

By sarah on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:38 am:

i feel happy today because i have hope.

now, i have to get my booty off to work!

p.s. Spider, i find that people have a hard time believe it when they discover that i'm a genuinely nice person... it's like they're trying to figure out what the agenda must be. fwiw.

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 01:48 pm:

I believe it, Sarah. Both things. ;)

California has never appealled to me. One thing, though -- when I was in San Francisco in the early '90s, I was struck by how well-dressed everyone was. Not that everyone was in suits, but that most people on the street had good taste.

I want to move somewhere that is freezing in the winter and cool in the summer. Somewhere windy, too. But not Boston.

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

Oh, and nowhere in the mid-west.

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

you

are

such

a

goth!!

*laughs*

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

I try and try, but I just can't fight it! It must be in my blood. :)

Seriously, though...I want to live somewhere where it doesn't get too hot in the summer. I've lived in humid hells my whole life, and I'd like to be able to actually go outside from time to time between June and September without choking for oxygen.

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:55 pm:

CA is the capitol of non humidity weather, you know this right?

its warm, but its breathable.

The bay area rarely breaks 92 degrees in the summer. The constant breeze from the bay keeps it quite cool.

Seriously, 90degrees on a humid day in Atlanta is far worse than a 100 degree day here in LA. Im willing to bet all your allergies (im guessing you are an allergy girl too) would be gone here.

Its a good thing the rest of the country doesnt know that CA is probably the greatest place to live in the US, otherwise they would all be here.

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 03:24 pm:

Ah, that's still too warm. I want 75 degrees, tops. Even parts of Alaska get into the 90s, and then there are the mosquitoes to consider...

Greenland, maybe? The tip of Argentina?

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

i think you'd be surprised. whats warm and cool to me now, is not what was warm and cool to me when i lived over there.

By Nate on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 03:45 pm:

san francisco proper tends to range from the mid 40's to the mid 70's. generally in the middle. mostly overcast or more deeply foggy. i love that fucking place.

contentment exists only in death.

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

Hey, don't knock sleep.

When I visited San Francisco that summer, I ran into my orthodontist on the street. Startling.

By moonit on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:38 pm:

Ha, you should move to New Zealand. Got no worries about June - September then... just gotta get thru December to Feb - and its actually not that hot.

By sarah on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 01:59 am:

false. contentment exists also in valium.

By J on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 03:43 am:

And in perfect blue house's.Beside a sea of green,how am I gonna get myself away from me?

By J on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:45 am:

I'm going to go to Mexico soon and get some more little blue pills and this time they are going in the safe,I get tired of the spawn stealing my medication.

By Nate on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:56 am:

i've never had valium. how scary, contentment.

By agatha on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

sarah really is genuinely nice. it's weird.

i love san francisco too. i would move there if i had any special talents that would enable me to earn a living there.

By Antigone on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 03:40 pm:

Ireland.

By wisper on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:06 pm:

i've heard Norway is pretty good, weather-wise.

for my taste, anyway.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

isnt it dark 1/4 of the year there?

By kazoo on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

One of my classmates, A. is from Norway. I think she's feeling a little better but initally had terrible culture shock. She can't sleep here because it's not cold, and she got a wicked sunburn within a few days of arriving here.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:28 am:

it's starting to look like my bitterness is unavoidable.

PATH A leads to a Bitter Melanie, and PATH B takes the sceneic route to the same point.

which path to choose?

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:36 am:

Easy -- the path with the best scenery.

By wisper on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

i didn't know that patrick, but if it's true, it seals the deal.

and chinese food is dirt cheap there, i hear. Cheap like pizza is in North America.

cold, dark, cheap chinese food.
    I'm home!

By Spider on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:38 pm:

Want a roommate, Wisper? If that's what Norway's really like, it sounds perfect.

By sarah on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:30 pm:

hey now, wait one minute! why is it weird that i'm genuinely nice??

By wisper on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

shut up sarah, you know we all love you.

fuck yeah, Spider. Although the Boy tells me that their government leaves much to be desired, something about the extreme left, and intense political correctness. I still don't see the problem. And i know they banned Kool-Aid due to to possible link to the red dye and cancer.
    This guy on IRC always asked me to send it to him.

But i can live without Kool-Aid again, can you?

Why aren't i there right now?

By Nate on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:04 pm:

chinese food is cheaper than pizza here.

By patrick on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:10 pm:

have you ever braved $1 chinese food?

By Nate on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

what you get for $1?

By patrick on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

I duuno, i've never braved them. i just seem em around.

By Nate on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 05:56 pm:

i've gotten way too much shit for $4.

cheap ass chinese from dirty joints is king.

By agatha on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:27 pm:

because a lot of people aren't genuinely nice. i would say roughly half of all people have an ulterior motive.

By heather on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

i would say all people have an ulterior motive and some are also genuinely nice.

i am nice, but not the last couple days cause i am grouchy and these people here won't stay out of my personal space.

By Nate on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 04:05 pm:

i like that show interior motives, but i would never admit that.

By spunky on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 04:08 pm:

"cheap ass chinese from dirty joints is king."

It's thhinking like that that made me sick off of bad shrimp from shrimp lo-mein. I could not touch chinese food for months after.

By Nate on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 05:28 pm:

you have all the luck.

By agatha on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

you just did.

By Nate on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 08:02 pm:

don't point that out. never point that out.

By agatha on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 08:03 pm:

i just did!

By Nate on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 08:19 pm:

mean, you are.

By agatha on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

that i am. that i am.

By Spider on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:29 am:

Wisper! I just learned that there are no cockroaches in Norway. It truly is the land of the gods.

By sarah on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:06 pm:

impossible.

By Spider on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:55 pm:

I am incredulous as well. I must investigate this further.

By wisper on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

i've never seen a cockroach, or heard of them being a problem here, so this means little to me, but if you're happy, i'm happy too.

YAY!!!

By Spider on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:06 pm:

Wha-? Canada, here I come!

By Czarina on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:27 pm:

We have GIANT ones here.Up to about 5 inches long,and as if thats not distressing enough,they can fly! And they have real course legs,and get stuck in your hair.

Thank God thats never happened to me, but since I heard they have this ability, I take extra precautions,to not be in their line of fire.

They really are most frightening.

By texasroach on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:41 pm:

I HATE roaches.
    We get three inchers in texas.
    Nothing like turning on a bathroom light in middle of the night and see one sitting there on the floor, staring at you...

By Max Roach on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:44 pm:

Hey man, I had no where else to go. Sorry I scared you.

By Raid on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:49 pm:

There's a great place for you........I think its called The Roach Motel.

Check in time is anytime, but check with management for check-out times,as they vary,depending on local.

By Gee on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:19 am:

what? Don't come to Canada if you're looking to escape Cockroaches. they may not be a huge source of panic in the streets, but they're here alright.

By moonit on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 04:29 am:

We don't get roaches, but we do get weta's/taipo's which are these gross big motherfucking bugs.

By wisper on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:54 pm:

gee is right. I asked around, and apparently i've just been lving in a roach-free bubble world. Icky.

but, you know, fell free to drop by anyway, spider. Maybe they fear me and will never tread where i step. I AM THE ANTI-ROACH!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact