try sushi

sorabji.com: What have you failed to do?: try sushi
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 02:48 pm:

so, before the orwellian police state robs me of all my freedoms and forces me to live on rations of government food stocks, i'm going to try my first sushi joint. this one, to be specific - piranha killer sushi. any suggestions on what i should get? at these prices, i don't want to go in blind.

By J on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 03:16 pm:

Avoid the tuna,high levels of mercury.

By Czarina on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:10 pm:

Don't eat the live sea urchins.
    It just seems plain mean.

By sarah on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:21 pm:

wish i could see the menu. the site is blocked here at work.

start off conservative and if you like it, take baby steps to more adventurous sushi.

i'd get a spicy tuna roll for sure.

if they have sashimi, definitely go for that.

eel (unagi) is one my favorites. the sauce is a little bit sweet.

whatever you do, stay away from the salmon skin anything. it's disgusting.

By droopy on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:43 pm:

piranha killer sushi & sashimi menu:

_Alacarte_
    Crab 1.50
    Albacore 2.25
    Masago 1.50
    Surf Clam 1.95
    Slamon 1.95
    Hawwaiin White Tuna 2.50
    Squid 1.95
    Halibut 1.95

_Classic Roll_
    Tuna Roll 4.95
    Cucumber Roll 4.95
    Salmon roll 4.50
    Hamachi & Scallions 4.95
    Spicy Tuna Roll 4.95
    Avaocado Roll 3.95
    Salmon Skin Roll 3.95
    Eal roll 4.95

somehow, the misspellings in the menu makes it seem more authentic. when i grill salmon, one of my favorite parts is the skin. i must try it japanese style, especially if it's disgusting.

By Czarina on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:45 pm:

That slamon sounds tastey

By Nate on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:56 pm:

it's not disgusting, it's good.

you should try the uni. you'll either love it or hate it.

masago with a quail egg.

salmon/albacore/'tuna' would probably be safe.

the menu looks sketchy to me, though.

By droopy on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 06:38 pm:

i would have no idea what an unsketchy sushi menu would look like. so i'm looking at this as an adventure. sushi places having been opening up and closing down every couple of years in downtown fort worth for quite a while now, and the idea of eating raw pacific ocean fish hundreds of miles inland in a hot, dusty texas town has never appealed to me. but this is sort of a date, and this is where she wants to go - it's funky and trendy, apparently.

By Antigone on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 06:46 pm:

By TBone on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:20 pm:

I had sushi last week. I hadn't had any for months. I had a weird reaction. Got a blister way back in the corner of my mouth before I was even done eating. The next day, I got my first migraine in two years.

By TBone on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:21 pm:

But I loves me some raw slamon. Ooh baby.

By droopy on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:47 pm:

slam on!

antigone - the mc frontalot show will be 10pm at the aardvark in the tcu area. what time do you plan on getting to town?

By jack on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:49 pm:

sushi = with rice
    sashimi = fish, no rice

hamachi is smooth and buttery. i just enjoyed some.

i personally like salmon skin now and then but some people think it's disgusting. i bet droopy likes it.

eel -- excuse me, "eal" -- is cooked w/ sauce. definitely worth a try if you're new to this sort of eating.

clam and squid are chewy. likely best to avoid if you're new to sushi bars. especially on a date.

saketini, droop?

By jack on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:51 pm:

conch and octopus are chewy as well.

By droopy on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:00 pm:

a sake martini?

i live in texas now, but i grew up in a seaside town in rhode island - spent my time as a kid digging for quahogs and littlenecks, so i'm not unfamiliar with the taste of mollusks, even raw.

By Nate on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:08 pm:

sushi is pretty much anything made with sushi rice.

By dave. on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:32 pm:

i like fish-free sushi. california rolls and inari.

boring, i know. just don't like fish all that much.

By wisper on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:40 pm:

if you're scared, just start off with some vegetable rolls.
    Sometimes i make my own sushi. It's pretty sad, but having fresh warm sushi rice is so yummy.

By Antigone on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:10 pm:

Dunno, droop, probably about 8.

By Antigone on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:10 pm:

Wanna go to the show? Ticket's on me.

By Antigone on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:12 pm:

With any luck you'll get to meet my fiancee. She indulges me in this MCFrontalot fascination.

By lapis on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:48 pm:

inari is yummy. so are fried asparagus rolls.

i used to love eel and sashimi, it's been years.

By Nate on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:51 pm:

california rolls have fish in them.

By droopy on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:06 am:

i'm not particularly nervous about eating sushi. shit - just eating the local cuisine i've had calf testicle, cow's head, cow's heart, cow's stomach, and pig salivary glands. this'll be a step up. i'm just trying to see what's good.

tig - here's the thing. the aardvark is down the street from where I work. but i don't have a car, and the last bus home is at 8:44. also, my leg is still in a brace, and i usually like to go home after a day at the shop and elevate my foot, which by that time has swollen up like a loaf of bread.

By platypus on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:19 am:

My god, how I love inari. I'm salivating at the very thought.

I love making sushi rice and eating it straight out of the bowl I mix it in, warm, sticky, and delicious.

Mmm...sushi. I'm a big fan of eel rolls, as well. And eal rolls, but that's a special occasion kind of thing.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:19 am:

We could eat near where you live, unless you don't want to be out too late. I might not be able to get out there before 8ish. I've got a conference call that night until about 7:15.

I'd hate to head out to your neck of the woods and no meet ye, but it seems like I'm living in Dallas forever. We'll meet up eventually. :)

By dave. on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:30 am:

i've had california rolls with fish. usually a tiny amount of bland fish like tuna in them. but it's mostly daikon and avocado. i also like occasionaly the orange roll, but i'm picking salmon roe out of my teeth hours afterward.

i do love a grilled tuna salad sandwich. tuna, mayo, horseradish, dill pickle juice, finely chopped dill pickles, salt -n- pepper. on russian rye with aged cheddar cheese. that and skipper's clam chowder. that's the extent of my fishy tastes.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:50 am:

albacore tuna.

fuck chunk light.

By TBone on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:58 am:

I do the same thing with sushi rice. Mmmm sushi rice.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:11 am:

i used to be the same way about fish, dave., but something changed. i think it started with sushi, which got my tastes aligned for reapproaching western fish dishes. i've gotten into the oily fishes lately, i think i could enjoy anything. except maybe raw, whole things that take more than one bite. like huge oysters.

i think the california roll should have fake crab in it. sometimes i see it with real crab and i get a little uncomfortable. there is a natural order to things.

maybe up in washington you're actually getting the "fuck california roll". what do they wrap the fish around when they make a rainbow roll? that's usually a california roll down here.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 04:04 pm:

Gotta try the sea urchin, droopy -- kind of sweet and creamy, just like me. It's called "uni".

By heather on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 05:41 pm:

i tried to make sushi this week, it did not go well.

mmm.. sushi. tsunami makes rolls with jalapeno on top and then toasts them. SO. GOOD.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:54 pm:

i can handle a litle chunk of fake crab in the missle of a sushi roll. i could probably look up the fish they use for fake crab. is it pollack? pretty bland stuff for the most part and its flavor pretty much disappears after a liberal soaking in tamari and a glob of wasabi.

i don't like the thought of eating invertabrates. it's just a hang-up of mine.

have i ever mentioned that i can't stand chopsticks?

By platypus on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:57 pm:

All this talk inspired me to eat a big bowl of sushi rice for dinner.

It was delicious.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:39 pm:

halibut cheeks. i will gladly eat halibut cheeks.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:22 am:

i was just mixing up some tuna salad for tomorrow. chunk light, because the fda says albacore has 3 times more mercury in it. it has chopped radish, garlic, celery salt, and mayo in it.

dinner tonight was a peanut butter, bacon, and tomato sandwich. i had a new inspiration: fry the tomato in the bacon grease before putting it on the sandwich. it was an improvement.

i'm already getting tired of sushi. i like the local vietnamese places better. all the best places are out in ugly, dumpy haltom city. you go in there, get a bowl of pho, and there are maybe a few vietnamese patrons, a couple of old white guys, and a black guy from the phone company who's on his lunch break.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:41 am:

a good bowl of pho is a beautiful thing. great for a hangover. i've also noticed that most white guys at pho restaurants seem to be of a vietnam war vet age.

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 08:10 am:

Never tried pho, but I wasn't too thrilled by Vietnamese when I tried it. Went twice to places skirting Chinatown. Can't really remember what I had -- it was a long time ago. Maybe I should try it again.

By droopy on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:17 am:

now that i think about it, pho would be a better hangover choice than menudo.

my dad is a vietman vet. my instinct is that i would never be able to get him into a vietnamese restaurant. he has this story about people eating bird heads in a restaurant in vietnam during the war. he uses it to get out of eating chinese food.

it took me a couple of tries to like pho, dougie. the first time i had it, i thought it tasted like fish broth, dishwater, and grass clippings. maybe you have to be perverse like me and dave.

By lapis on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:44 am:

pho chay (vegetarian pho) is the best thing in the world, i frequented a vietnamese restaurant for years before i tried it though.... but mmmmmm.

tried making it at home once, one of the few times i attemped to follow a recipe to the letter (other than baking), it was dismal. no flavor. it was better about three days later with broccoli.

By dave. on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:48 am:

nah, good pho is all about the broth. beef broth. next, you choose your meat. rare beef, well done beef, meatballs, etc. i like the rare beef. pho tai, i think it's called. i do not like the meatballs. in a word, testicular.

pho comes with a side of fresh basil, bean sprouts, jalapeno and lime wedges. i shred the basil sprig and squeeze the lime into the bowl. i add about half of the bean sprouts and squirt some sriracha hot sauce into the soup.

also, you have to break up the noodles. just bang at them with your fork for a minute or so, until they're not all stuck together.

pho rocks.

By droopy on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:12 am:

pho does rock. my personal favorite is pho tai cian (according to my 'phu lam' menu) which includes soft tendon. but, to be honest, there's a difference between the menu when it just catored to a vietnamese clientele (here in texas) and when they started to making adjustments for western tastes.

By droopy on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:14 am:

dang. i'm drunk.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 05:17 am:

Me love pho.

pho and tripe. Bible tripe...

I might not make it to Ft Worth tonight, droop. Still working...probably won't sleep...geh...

By Czarina on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 09:44 am:

China is going to start taxing their chopsticks.

By TBone on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:38 am:

Mmm Pho. My first experience was with a bowl the size of my head in San Fransisco.

Loved it.

By sarah on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:14 pm:

they just closed a hooters that was a few blocks from my house and turned it into a moderately upscale seafood place.

we went to the antone's thing last night. it was fucking insane. saturday we got vip tickets to the margarita festival at waterloo park. ruh roh.

there's a fastish-food sushi joint i can ride my bike to that is consistently good. they even make some with brown rice, which is surprisingly tasty.

i hate saketinis. but at least it's cold, the way it should be.

By V on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 09:09 pm:

...I try sushi,but I throw up 3 hours later,just cant digest then raw octipus legs.

By V on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 07:58 pm:

or the Plutonium...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact