From my earlier web page...

sorabji.com: paranoia.com: From my earlier web page...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Mike escapeATparanoia.com on Tuesday, May 5, 1998 - 12:40 am:
    1. Let's save primus as a telnet/mail/irc machine. I think we
    could live with a 128k connection as we have before. Get *rid*
    of the freeloaders and charge people $5-$10/month. If we got
    20 people to do this we could pay for the ISDN costs. Since I
    believe that we could get more 20 people, the profits could be
    used to slowly bail Kevin out of the 12k debt he's in. The beauty
    of the situation is, everyone will pay. If there are only 20
    people willing to do this, 128k will be fine. If there are >20,
    that means increased money for more bandwidth. Elegant, huh?

2. I'm not nearly as concerned with the loss of web space, as
    Kevin pointed out there are many alternatives nowadays. At worse,
    a machine could be used for URL redirection, as I'm sure just about
    everybody has an alternate location for Web stuff. If the web server
    *is* an issue with people, I suggest this. Kevin should look into
    advertising, perhaps only on the main paranoia pages. With the
    volume that comes through, I think that advertising revenue could
    be used to offset the bandwidth costs. Someone with expertise
    in this area should make some estimations based on # of visitors
    and $$ advertisers are paying. I think with an exclusive deal
    with only one broker, the web site could pay for itself and/or
    get Kevin out of debt. The popularity of paranoia.com as a
    destination is too much to be overlooked.

By Egnever on Tuesday, May 5, 1998 - 03:25 am:
    Here's an idea... how about offering respectable rate (relatively low
    bandwidth) virtual hosting. I know I have a couple for various reasons,
    and I'd much rather see cash for that service go to "the cause" than
    to some corporation (even if they are my favorite local ISP).
    Perhaps $100 a year?

By Sorabji on Tuesday, May 5, 1998 - 11:08 am:
    I don't see how advertising can really make a decent amount of money unless Kevin is getting traffic in the millions of unique pageviews. And even at that there would have to be more to the site than the home page and the other of his stuff; there would have to be ads on all the sites. And the last time I looked Kevin's answer to the question of whether or not he would take ads was "fuck off." Just my opinion, of course, but in my experience the paltry revenue offered by standalone ad-banners is simply not worth the eyesore.

But I agree, let's save primus for telnet/irc/mail and whatnot. Let's install Waffle on that thing and get back to our roots.

By Avinash on Tuesday, May 5, 1998 - 02:13 pm:
    Well, I've been at paranoia for a long time, and I would like
    to see someone (not me!) make this work for around
    $100 to $120 a year, and I need both:

1) Shell Access

2) Web Access
    If necessary, put limits:
    2a) Disk space, say 2-10M.
    2b) bandwidth (say, 100-1000MB/month?)

Actually, I could do without shell access, so this is why I posted,
    as the previous message suggested he could live without
    web access, I just wanted to get my 2 cents in - I do need
    web access!

I see many ISPs make this work, and isn't this just a matter
    of drawing up a (informal) business plan? See how many
    subscribers we need at cable modem, ISDN, T1, etc levels,
    and see if can reach it. I would say we should restrict paranoia to
    40-100 users max, and do what we can within that price range.
    It will take work, but maybe we can do this and allow some profit
    to Kevin and whoever else doing the work.

- Avinash@Paranoia.com

By N. on Wednesday, May 6, 1998 - 10:32 am:
    My main reason for having a paranoia account is web space. For the last few months, my web accesses have totalled between 600 and 700 MB, which is a ton; however, I have paid for my account every 6 months, and I've paid $75 rather than $50 when I could afford it. From now on, I should be able to afford $75, and I am working on ways to reduce the load of my web pages. I also use mail (via POP mail). Maybe that kind of usage is just not something that will be able to be supported by paranoia in the future under any possible scenario. I would really prefer to keep my pages under the physical control of people I *trust* and not on the machine of some corporate entity.
    I don't use the shell, IRC, news or anything else. I have access to those kinds of things elsewhere.
    * What I'm hearing here is that a range of options, each associated with a price tag, should be available. For example: shell access, $5/mo.; IRC, news, etc., $5/mo.; mail via pine or IMAP, $2/mo.; $5/mo. per every 500MB of web traffic your pages generate (this would give users like me a financial incentive to reduce page size); and so forth. The spirit of paranoia.com would be changed if any of those services went away.
    I know this is nausseatingly bureaucratic, but bureacracies exist for a reason. I just basically pulled those numbers out of my ass, by the way, so someone should adjust those numbers to reflect how much of a drain each service is on resources. Maybe in the end, I won't be able to afford it, but we can't let paranoia's web presence get completely flushed down the toilet.
    ** I can't believe how many people have simply not been paying! **
    - N. (wcs)

By
President Clinton on Tuesday, September 1, 1998 - 04:06 pm:

I've been waffling and wavering for years and what has it gotten me?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact