Manor House on PBS

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Manor House on PBS
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 10:07 am:

So, did any of you watch Manor House last night?

It's the latest part in the PBS trend of taking a bunch of people and making them live in another time -- this time Edwardian England. One family pretended to be the masters of an enormous manor house, and 8 others pretended to be the servants.

It looks like it's going to turn out to be a version of the Stanford Prison Experiment. The master family (especially the little boy) are taking to their roles remarkably easily.

The previews for next week show the servants revolting against them, which is frankly surprising -- you'd think these people knew what they were getting into when the signed up for the project. Of course a scullery maid is going to have a hard time!

The man who has become the butler, Mr. Edgar, is the grandson of a butler from that time period, and he is the most interesting of all the people. He told us a bit about his grandfather, who was an icy fellow that sounded a lot like the man Anthony Hopkins played in "Remains of the Day." At one point, Mr. Edgar finds two of the male servants passed out on the lawn after having drunk too much the night before, and he nearly broke down. Tears came out of his eyes! Then he said that he understood why his grandfather was the way he was -- you need "discipline, discipline, discipline" if you want to keep your footmen in check. I felt so badly for the poor man.

I think the next episode is showing tonight -- 8 pm, my time -- if you're curious.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:09 am:

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:39 am:

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:45 am:

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

That's really interesting -- you'd think (or I'd think, anyway) that being a sweatshop worker with a kid and no husband would be much worse than being a parlourmaid with a family.

Thank God this country never had such a rigid social class system.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:27 pm:

43% snob.

id love to see the answers to your snob quiz spider.

wow, id be an uppity schoolmaster who gets wacked in ww1.

funny kazoo. thats the same response i got before i noticed i forgot to check my gender. is your step-dad an engineer too?

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

I did fudge a little -- I've never ordered imported Brie from the deli counter, but I have ordered other imported cheese, so I said yes. I do use a foreign accent when pronouncing Italian words when I order at an Italian restaurant with Italian staff -- but no other accent at any other time -- so I said yes.

Umm... crudity offends me more than nudity. I have had conversations with the people who bag my groceries. I would have a relationship with someone unemployed. Walmart = cheap crap. Rabbit = gift for my niece.

I don't remember the others...

By semillama on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:59 pm:

me

I die in the trenches along with my fellow schoolmaster, Patrick. 50% snob.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:06 pm:

You guys die at Passchendaele! (3rd battle of Ypres, fall of 1917) That was some of the worst fighting of WWI.

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:25 pm:

I used the job he had when me mum first met him which was a carpenter. Now he has some kind of wierd office job where he prices the houses he used to built parts for.

By eri on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

I was working as an innkeeper living in a dirty room on premises, never married, with plenty of men in and out of my life and when I get preggers from a co-worker, I secretly have an abortion! My other job opportunities would be a mid wife or nurse. I was only about three steps from the top for such a crappy job, though. Weird.

I had a snob rating of 67% and my answers were almost the same as Spiders, except I don't date unemployed people, ever.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

You know, I was thinking...

How could you answer the crudity vs. nudity question any differently than I have? You can be tolerant towards nudity and intolerant towards crudity easily. (Art, naked babies, nude beaches, your SO lying in bed....these aren't crude.) But how could you be against nudity and not crudity? Because if you're against it, you think...it's...crude, right? Why else would you be against it? I don't get it.

And I will continue thinking about this instead of my spreadsheets until it's time to go home.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

One more thing!

The next episode of Manor House is on tonight, not next week.

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

Nudity doesn't have to be crude, by some definitions.

From the OED:

Of products of the mind: Not matured, not completely thought out or worked up; ill-digested

Of literary or artistic work: Lacking finish, or maturity of treatment; rough, unpolished.

Of natural objects: Coarse, clumsy.

Then there is this:

In the natural or raw state; `not changed by any process or preparation' (J.); not manufactured, refined, tempered, etc.; of bricks, unbaked.

I guess nudity would be exactly that, although it seems to be about rocks and stuff, not the human body.

Just my two cents.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:43 pm:

Right - so they are not opposites, but intersecting circles on a Venn Diagram.

1) You can be crude and nude.

2) You can be nude but not crude.

3) You can be crude but not nude.

But the question is, how could someone be offended by #2 and not #3?

Or maybe the question is structurally flawed and needs to be tossed. Or as Jeeves said about Nietzsche, it's fundamentally unsound.

3 minutes to go before I go.

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

They just wanted two words what rhymed when you puts them together.

I felt an earthquake this morning. I thought there were rats in my heater making it shake.

By eri on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

Really? I haven't felt an earthquake in ages. Hell, I am so subconsciously used to them, I don't feel most earthquakes anyways.

By eri on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

www.pbs.org/manorhouse/1905/f8.html

Based on my dad's current job, since he retired from AT&T. It sounds amazingly like me, and very much like my life now, or what I want in life now, and it said I would be a secretary, which was what I did when I did work. Weird.

By Lapis on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:42 pm:

I'm a secretary. Not that bad, but not rich. 59% snob.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:57 pm:

By spunky on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:59 pm:

Oops!

Did not see the male/female button there.
    When it said I sewed and aranged flowers for the church....

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:05 am:

By semillama on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:18 am:

You sure did!

When I was a young man I carried my pack
    And I lived the free life of a rover
    From the Murrays green basin to the dusty outback
    I waltzed my Matilda all over
    Then in nineteen fifteen my country said Son
    It's time to stop rambling 'cause there's work to be done
    So they gave me a tin hat and they gave me a gun
    And they sent me away to the war
    And the band played Waltzing Matilda
    As we sailed away from the quay
    And amidst all the tears and the shouts and the cheers
    We sailed off to Gallipoli

How well I remember that terrible day
    How the blood stained the sand and the water
    And how in that hell that they called Suvla Bay
    We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter
    Johnny Turk he was ready, he primed himself well
    He chased us with bullets, he rained us with shells
    And in five minutes flat he'd blown us all to hell
    Nearly blew us right back to Australia
    But the band played Waltzing Matilda
    As we stopped to bury our slain
    We buried ours and the Turks buried theirs
    Then we started all over again

Now those that were left, well we tried to survive
    In a mad world of blood, death and fire
    And for ten weary weeks I kept myself alive
    But around me the corpses piled higher
    Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over tit
    And when I woke up in my hospital bed
    And saw what it had done, I wished I was dead
    Never knew there were worse things than dying
    For no more I'll go waltzing Matilda
    All around the green bush far and near
    For to hump tent and pegs, a man needs two legs
    No more waltzing Matilda for me

So they collected the cripples, the wounded, the maimed
    And they shipped us back home to Australia
    The armless, the legless, the blind, the insane
    Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla
    And as our ship pulled into Circular Quay
    I looked at the place where my legs used to be
    And thank Christ there was nobody waiting for me
    To grieve and to mourn and to pity
    And the band played Waltzing Matilda
    As they carried us down the gangway
    But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared
    Then turned all their faces away

And now every April I sit on my porch
    And I watch the parade pass before me
    And I watch my old comrades, how proudly they march
    Reliving old dreams of past glory
    And the old men march slowly, all bent, stiff and sore
    The forgotten heroes from a forgotten war
    And the young people ask, "What are they marching for?"
    And I ask myself the same question
    And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
    And the old men answer to the call
    But year after year their numbers get fewer
    Some day no one will march there at all

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
    Who'll come a waltzing Matilda with me
    And their ghosts may be heard as you pass the Billabong
    Who'll come-a-waltzing Matilda with me?

i got the lyrics from: http://www.pogues.com/Releases/Lyrics/LPs/RumSodomy/Waltzing.html

Read the bit at the bottom of the page.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:25 am:

So, did you watch it last night? I missed most of the first hour, but caught the second.

I wasn't kidding about the Stanford Prison Experiment.

The "master" of the manor (IRL some piddling businessman) is zestfully embracing his role of lord of all he surveys as if he were born to it. Holding pheasant hunting parties, sipping port and laughing manfully with the aristocrat neighbors, dressing down the staff...it's a quite remarkable transformation. His wife (an ER doctor IRL) is warming to her part, as well, admitting she doesn't mind being passive and allowing her husband to make all the decisions. (She did express regret that she's not spending more time with her children and sister, though.)

Though she also "forgot" for a (rather long) moment that none of this was real, and thought her son would inherit the property. That's...crazy....

And her sister! Poor Miss Anson, she's had a mental breakdown from being so suffocated in her role and has had to take time off for the sake of her nerves. It's so tragic! I don't know whether to laugh at the art becoming life in action, or feel terribly for her and all the women like her back in the day.

The poor butler, whose grandfather was a real butler, is taking his role to heart. He becomes so distressed when the master is displeased with him...it's awful seeing an old man cry like that.

Actually, the whole thing is becoming horrifying. At one point the narrator pointed out that the gentry didn't like the term "weekend" because it implied that they were employed during the week and were having two days of rest. Isn't that appalling?

Stuff American Idol -- this is the reality television I care about.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:39 pm:

The whole system was/is appalling.

By eri on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

Lapis, I was the same as you. I just don't know how to put a link up there, but I am still 67% snob.

I watched the first half hour last night. The "revolt" so to speak. I actually found myself getting pissed off at some of these people working on the bottom. They disrespected the butler WAYYYYYY too much. They weren't putting the situation into the times and expected it to be easy labor with plenty of time off. The ones I felt sorry for were the ones doing their jobs and trying hard to keep things appropriate to the era, and getting stuck with the extra work since they were short staffed. In the end they got 1/2 day off a week for all of them.

The butler is really taking this part to heart and doing an amazing job. But he has not gotten the respect he deserved from the other workers. Though he might have taken the issue to his employer sooner, that is the only fault I saw in him.

It was my first time watching it but it was totally interesting.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

I *love* Mr. Edgar.

I read on the PBS site that a lot of the people are still in contact with him -- the master family sees him a lot, and I think Rob the footman and someone else are planning to take a vacation with him in the future.

I think that, for what this project is, it's a shame that some of the below-stairs people (like Kenny) don't do their fair share of the work. There used to be a scullery maid, Kelly, who thought she was scrubbing pots too much and tried to get everyone else to help her. I mean, true, no one wants to scrub pots for 16 hours a day, but didn't she know that's what her job would be when she signed up? If you want realism, you just sack up and do the job. And then, Kelly chose to leave the project in the middle of the house's first big dinner party -- I thought that was very bad.

By eri on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

That's what I was saying last night. When they were bitching about equality in the workplace and needing more time off and all of these things. They volunteered for something that took place BEFORE there was equality in the workplace and survival was something you had to fight for. Working sixteen hours a day for crap wages was what they did cuz the alternative was death. Whiners like Kenny need to get over themselves and understand this in order to make it appropriate to the times. It's hard work and it is seemingly never ending work, but you need to understand the times and the conditions that these people were living under which changes things a lot. It's a game, to understand a different time, not a better time, but a different one. If you aren't willing to do your share of the work and buck up then why volunteer in the first place?

Oh, and I just adore the butler!

By Spider on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

Eri, just in case you didn't know: the last episodes will air tonight.

By eri on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

Any clue what time? I still want to see who gets booted off of AI tonight. Hoping it will be joker face, and we are on our way to the pool now. I will check back later. Thanks!

By Spider on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 10:30 am:

Sorry, I left work yesterday and didn't answer your question. It was on from 8-10 last night, but will probably be re-run.

By eri on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

Caught part of it, but last night ended up being kinda busy. Maybe they will rerun all of it from the beginning.

By Platypus on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 02:19 pm:

80% snob.

Whee!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact