Question. But I'd rather if only Christians answered this one.

sorabji.com: I need advice: Question. But I'd rather if only Christians answered this one.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Frank on Friday, October 23, 1998 - 11:49 pm:

Should I invite a romantic interest of mine to church?

By MoonUnit on Saturday, October 24, 1998 - 05:10 am:

are you sure shes religious?

By MoonUnit on Saturday, October 24, 1998 - 05:28 am:

oh by the way I kinda ignored the fact that you only wanted religious people to answer cause really thats just not fair. Us heathen bastards have valid opinions too you know.

By R.C. on Saturday, October 24, 1998 - 03:22 pm:

Frank: You wd certainly invite a friend to church /wdn't you? Inviting a romantic interest shdn't be any different. But don't take offense if she says no. Some people aren't comfortable in church -- esp. the kind where a new face has to introduced to everyone in the congregation. But keep it low-key & she might even enjoy it.

By Antigone on Sunday, October 25, 1998 - 06:42 pm:

I'm Unitarian with Buddhist leanings. Do I count?

Sure, invite her. (I'm assuming it's a she...) What do you have to lose? If religion is important to you, and she's not religious in the same way, then maybe you're not compatible.

By Frank on Friday, November 6, 1998 - 09:37 pm:

well, the reason i said "only religious people" was because of a bad experience i had with a non-religious person on this site. but thanks.
    by the way, i did and she said yes and she's probably coming back.

By Reknball on Friday, November 6, 1998 - 11:15 pm:

Hallelujah

By Agatha on Saturday, November 7, 1998 - 04:07 am:

so, you don't feel that there is a chance you would have a bad experience with a religious person on this site? that seems silly to me.

By Semillama on Tuesday, January 26, 1999 - 04:24 pm:

Another thing here - the topic says "only CHRISTIAN people" yet changes to "only RELIGIOUS people" in the course of the discussion. Keep it staight and there will be less problems with ornery folks. I'm sure somebody would go off on this mixup, which unfortunatly is all too common.

Anyway, if you take a romantic interest to church, don't let this happen to you:

a crazy friend, also along, starts to stalk the woman of his dreams during the service, calling out her name. (This actually happend to my pal, poor guy)

By God on Thursday, July 29, 1999 - 12:58 pm:

um is she christian ?
    if not, don't impose your beleifs on her.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, July 29, 1999 - 01:02 pm:

um ok, an age old thread, I would say invite her only if it's a pot luck.

By Jezis Jr. on Monday, August 30, 1999 - 07:01 pm:

<um is she christian ?
    if not, don't impose your beleifs on her.>

That's not very christian of you, GOD.
    More than anything else, we should be jamming our faith down the throats of EVERY other religion - especially if it has been around longer than christianity (serious competition).

Without missionaries, how can we make the third world safe for american pineapple interests?

By Jinafishes on Monday, August 30, 1999 - 07:26 pm:

Oh god, just cause she doesn't believe and comes along with the guy doesn't mean she HAS to believe, she can just go to support him and take part in one of his activities..

Then after that's over she can take him to her cult sacrifice.

By Space Age Pagan on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 12:16 am:

*.*

By Margret on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 12:49 am:

You will all burn in the lake of fire, which is where bad folks go when they die.

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 02:12 am:

Shit, I hope so. It'd do wonders for my back.

Is it an icy hot?

By FETIDBEAVER on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 05:41 am:

I thought they went to Iowa.

By H on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 08:21 am:

No, that's dead baseball players.

By J on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 01:52 pm:

Those people will never hurt you,the dead ball players,just dead unless they are some of Sheilas friends.

By Cyst on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 03:01 pm:

last time I went to a non-catholic christian church, I ate all the good food before anyone else could.

great roast beef with cripsy bread. I left the grocery-store-bought cake for everyone else.

By Kalliope on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 03:12 pm:

I only go to church to get drunk. The wine is delish.

I got cheated out once tho and got grape juice.

By Space Age Pagan on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 04:24 pm:

In reply to the first question of this Post.
    I'm a neo pagan but I have not thrown out all of Christianity. If you feel comfortable with inviting this person there then do so.
    I don't knock anybodys religion.

By Toots on Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 06:22 pm:

I only knock christianity.

It is truly a scab of a religion.

By Jinafishes on Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 06:53 pm:

Love your neighbor is something that really stings. History has proven that.

By Silly on Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 07:21 pm:

I loved my neighbor,and got in a lot of trouble.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 08:06 pm:

did you love your neighbor's dog?

By J on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 01:09 pm:

No satan made him look like a man,but he was a dog.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 01:32 pm:

that was Don Juan rather

By Nate on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 04:17 pm:

Isn't it Dan Juan Rather?

By H on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 04:28 pm:

...or Don Juan Valdez?

By J on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 04:34 pm:

Don,t they call a godfather a Don?

By Nate on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 04:41 pm:

it means something akin to "Sir" Or "Mr"

By Cyst on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 04:56 pm:

oh senor don gato was a cat
    (note: "senor don" is redundant)
    on a high red roof don gato sat
    he went there to read a letter
    meow meow meow
    where the reading light was better
    meow meow meow
    'twas a love note for don gato

By Cyst on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:02 pm:

thank god the "beautiful stranger" video is on. I have been waiting for it.

I requested it at a bar last night. it works better when I hear it by accident, though.

Sentado en silla de oro estaba el senor Don Gato
    Seated on a chair of gold was the mister cat

Con unas medias de seda y unos zapatitos blancos
    With stockings of silk and little shoes of white

Refrain:
    Ate y ale pum, ate y ale pum, unos zapatitos blancos

Ha recibido una carta que si quiere ser casado
    He has recieved a letter that if he wishes to be married

Con una gatita parda, sobrina de un gato pardo
    With a cat dark, niece of a cat dark

El gatito de contento se ha caido del tejado
    The kitten, from joy has fallen from the roof

Ya se ha muerto, ya se ha muerto, ya se ha muerto, el gatito
    Now he has died, now he has died, now he has died, the kitten

Ya lo llevan a enterrar, por la calle del pescado
    Now they take him in to bury, through the street or the fish

Las gatitas van de luto y los ratones bailando
    The kittens go in mourning and the rats dancing

Y al olor de las sardinas el gato ha resucitado
    And at the smell of the sardines the cat has revived

Por eso dicen la gente: siete vidas tiene el gato
    That is why say the people: seven lives has the cat

By His little solar plexus on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:03 pm:

Oh Senor Don Gato was a cat
    On a high red roof Don Gato sat
    He went there to read a letter,
    Meow, meow, meow
    Where the reading light was better,
    Meow, meow, meow
    'Twas a love note for Don Gato

I adore you wrote the lady cat
    Who was fluffy, white and nice and fat
    There was not a sweeter kitty,
    Meow, meow, meow
    In the country or the city,
    Meow, meow, meow
    And she said she'd wed Don Gato

Oh, Don Gato jumped so happily
    He fell off the roof and broke his knee
    Broke his ribs and all his whiskers,
    Meow, meow, meow
    And his little solar plexus,
    Meow, meow, meow
    Ay Caramba cried Don Gato

Then the doctors all came on the run
    Just to see if something could be done
    And they held a consultation,
    Meow, meow, meow
    About how to save their patient,
    Meow, meow, meow
    How to save Senor Don Gato

But in spite of everything they tried
    Poor Senor Don Gato up and died
    And it wasn't very merry,
    Meow, meow, meow
    Going to the cemetery,
    Meow, meow, meow
    For the ending of Don Gato

When the funeral passed the market square
    Such a smell of fish was in the air
    Though his burial was slated,
    Meow, meow, meow
    He became reanimated,
    Meow, meow, meow
    He came back to life, Don Gato

By Tiger on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:05 pm:

maybe it's

oh senor, don gato was a cat

By Tiger on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:06 pm:

or not

By J on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:11 pm:

I,m laughing so hard,I,m crying.

By Cyst on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:14 pm:

wait till you hear me sing it.

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:17 pm:

Can I get an invitation to that recital?
    Location and time please?

By Cyst on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:20 pm:

sorabji fest '99. I think it's at swine's apartment.

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:24 pm:

How do you get invited? I'm new in these parts. Is there a difference between a gold edged invitation and the silver edged invite...other than the colur?

By Waffles on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:30 pm:

just watch out for the bronze one....last year they had me doing circles around Union Square looking for the "Pink Flamingo".......i have paid my dues

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:55 pm:

Everyone knows the "Pink Flamingo" is in Penn Station..................isn't it?

By JJ on Saturday, September 4, 1999 - 12:13 am:

I want to get drunk with you,Maple,I wanna get drunk nwith Waffles too ,maybe Nate too,I,m tanked too,and maybe Sem,and Marcus,and Fetig. and Simon,and Droopy(where have you been?)Well all of you,I love all of you....J

By FETIDBEAVER on Saturday, September 4, 1999 - 12:29 am:

I was drunk last night. Where were you?

By J on Saturday, September 4, 1999 - 09:04 am:

Yes,I can always tell by how stupid my posting was,and then I look at the time I posted,to see how tanked I was,I,d give last night a 8 out of 10,I got to take something for a hangover.

By J on Saturday, September 4, 1999 - 10:52 am:

Plus I left out all the girls,sorry I was tanked and I don,t know why I posted that,but where is Droopy?

By Waffles on Saturday, September 4, 1999 - 04:54 pm:

being tanked......oh geeeze...my head is pounding, it was one of those types of hangovers this a.m. the kind where it hurts so bad you can't sleep. I had to get up and watch cartoons with a few bong hits in hopes of going back to sleep.

what a night.....went to LA County Museum for free jazz they have every Friday..........they make a strong whisky/ginger there......went bowling....ever seen the Big Labowski? thats the place we go.....$1 drafts and nachos..occupied our time.....I rolled the highest game ever...149...then i let the others talk us into going to Jumbo's clown room...the only strip joint owned by women in LA (wahOOO!). Ironic that mark should have pics of a clown greeting us today. Lets just say it was a one hand over the eye the other on the steering wheel drive home. Jumbos is a great place, sorta of a dive, the girls are a lot of fun though.....especially when they "loose" their underwear underneath their dress......the wifey always gets all the attention at that place.

go here http://www.jumbos.com/

By J on Monday, September 6, 1999 - 09:00 pm:

HA HA! I could beat you at bowling my best was a 223.I love to bowl,you can drink,you can smoke,shit you can even get some ska skanken in there,I wish I could be a dudette.

By What times the GAME come on on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 07:16 pm:

Unless you live in California...then it's NAZI HALLOWE'EN every day.

Imagine not being able to smoke in a bowling alley.

Further proof that politicians are evil and people (especially Californians) are sheep.

By J on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 11:02 am:

Oh,that pisses me off,and I know what your talking about,I live on the border of Tempe and Mesa,Tempe is a great city,Mesa is mostly Mormons,they finally figured out how to vote,and now you can,t smoke in Mesa resturants or the bowling alley,I never go there to eat anymore,fuck them.You think they would feel sorry for us since we are killing ourselves.

By Gas Mask on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 02:22 pm:

People DO feel sorry for you since you are killing yourself. We know those damn things are addictive as hell. No one minds if you smoke. It's the exhaling thing that's a problem! Non smokers don't want to suck in your smoke! We don't even get a filter like you do!!!

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 03:30 pm:

you have been so wrapped up in the hype haven't you?....you know they did a study, the NTSB, many years back about smoke on a planes....i once read anyway.....that the harmful particles of second hand smoke were negligable 3-4 rows AWAY from the smoking section on the planes. What they DON'T tell you is to save on fuel costs, airlines recirculate the air in the cabin, meaning if someone coughs 1st class, you breath it in the back.......they used to recirculate fresh air but it uses more fuel. That is understandable and I don't mind not smoking on a plane, but this shit about second hand smoke has gotten you and every one else worked up into a frenzy. and second of all...a private business has the right to decide for itself if they will allow smokers in it's establishments. You got your non smoking sections, shut up and leave it at that. In the bars here in LA that technically can't allow smoking at all, the places I patronize have signs that say MY BAR MY CUSTOMERS...if a non smoking establishment was in such high demand don't you think businesses would be catering to the demands of the people.......funny, here in LA, most of the whiny ass bitches griping about the smoke don't even go to bars. You should have heard all of the waitresses complaining of lost tips and money when that silly assed law passed. Whats next you wanna child proof the world?? do you put as much energy into fighting air pollution as you do bitchin about smokers and your second hand smoke........????? last i checked buses spewing out black smoke here in LA do far more damage than all the cigarettes i will smoke in my life time...so shut up already about the non smoking shit.....the witch hunt is over.......whats's next sueing smith and wesson for making a gun that a murdered someone......??????

obviously that shit rubs me wrong

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 03:33 pm:

furthermore, you have the right as a customer to patronize places that don't allow smoking....so stop the whining and put your money where you mouth and leave private businesses alone........the government already has too many paws in the private sector already.......

i am going to smoke

By Gee on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 06:30 pm:

uh, sorry, but second hand smoke sucks. I hate it. I don't care. My fresh pink lungs aside, I can't stand walking down the street and having some jerk who thinks he owns the sidewalk blow a big puff of black air in my face. I like that about as much as I like waiting for a bus and inhailing the fumes from passing trucks.

If you wanna kill yourself, fine. Not my problem. Lock yourself in a room with your fellow smokers and inhale/exhail away, but I have big huge problems with you inflicting your joyous ciggarettes on Me.

As for this:

<<You got your non smoking sections, shut up and leave it at that.>>

That's the funny thing about smoke. For some reason, it just won't stay put, you know? Maybe if we were more forceful in reminding it that it simple Cannot cross over the invisible barrier that seperates SMOKING from NON-SMOKING, it would pay attention. Maybe if the smoking sections were more than three inches away from the non-smoking sections. Maybe if smokers thought about something other than their own piddly little addictive pleasures.

Of course, not all smokers are so selfish that they don't even Notice the face they're blowing into, but God...most of 'em are.

By Nonsmoking realist on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 07:37 pm:

Fifty years ago it wasn't "FASHIONABLE" to walk around smelling perfect all of the time. The same people that cry about the smell of cigarettes (the REAL issue) would not have even noticed the smell. They have been TOLD that it is bad and dangerous...so they believe. Next, they want to control the behavior of others by electing fascist politicians in order to live "clean and odor-free" lives. Plus, if they can stamp out cigarette smoke they will live forever...the new american doctrine of "we will always be young, rich and healthy".

If a bar owner wants to allow smokers in his establishment, but the government won't allow him to...what is that called?

FASCISM!!!!!!!!!

(it would follow that all who believe in this abomination would be fascists as well.

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 08:06 pm:

thank you Mr. Non Smoking Realist for making a very valid point

and Gee, as I mentioned, they have done studies to prove the dangers of second hand smoke are negligable from as little as 5 feet away...so that argument is irrelavent. ( I wll see if i can dig up facts for that) If you lived with a smoker you might have a cause for alarm, but walking down the street is hardly a valid argument to not allow smoking in a resturaunt or bar........ or to sue tobacco companies.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 08:32 pm:

My great-aunt Tini died of cancer last year. Her one lung was cancerous. Why one lung? 10 years before, the other one had been cancerous and had to be removed.

Did she smoke? No. Did she have a family history of cancer, or did she work somewhere where she had to breathe in chemicals? No. Her husband smoked. She got cancer because she lived with a smoker and breathed in his foul air.

Her husband is still alive. Minus a voicebox, due to his own cancer, but still alive.

Everything *I've* ever read has said that second-hand smoke is worse than the smoke that is sucked in through the filter. I gotta find those references...

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 08:36 pm:

My great-aunt Tini died of cancer last year. Her one lung was cancerous. Why one lung? 10 years before, the other one had been cancerous and had to be removed.

Did she smoke? No. Did she have a family history of cancer, or did she work somewhere where she had to breathe in chemicals? No. Her husband smoked. She got cancer because she lived with a smoker and breathed in his foul air.

Her husband is still alive. Minus a voicebox, due to his own cancer, but still alive.

Everything *I've* ever read has said that second-hand smoke is worse than the smoke that is sucked in through the filter. I gotta find those references...

By Rh on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 08:43 pm:

Ack. Sorry.

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 08:48 pm:

like i said, if you live with someone who is a smoker, it's one thing, but passing by on the street or the 1 hour you are in a resturaunt (and rest. owners are sorta smart, they want the best of both worlds, don't you think they will design the place so as to keep the non smokers happy as well as the smokers)...if non-smoking bars is such a hot ticket, how come now one is chasing that business pursuit, and if they are....HOTDOG, more power to them, but i would guess 60-70% of the people who drink in bars, like to have a smoke.

Rhiannon, as much as I empathize with your relatives situation........i refer you to this information. I would suggest that your aunt is a rare case scenario....it's impossible to prove that someone got lung cancer soley from second hand cigarette smoke. Cancer doesn't have to have a family history, it can be an anomoly, who knows, she could have grown up in a house with abestos, she could have sucked in to many fumes from the coal burner in the basement and so on....

http://www.ncpa.org/pi/health/hcoct98c.html
    http://www.ncpa.org/pd/regulat/regd1.html#D1B

it's not much but I will keep searching.

By Gas Mask on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 09:13 pm:

Focus on this: there is little medical controvery as to whether the inhalation of second hand smoke in close indoor environments is harmful. After all the falsehoods they have propagated, "research" from the Tobacco Institute and their lackies suffers from a presumptive lack of credibility.

Tobacco companies are responsible for the damage caused by their lies about the hazards of the products they manufacture. Any manufacturer who lies abouts and conceals the dangerousness of their product bears the same liability. The tobacco companies have been proved liars on the issues of the addictiveness and health risks of tobacco. They are reduced to defending themselves with variations on the "you didn't really believe us, did you" theme.

Smokers who believed smoking was hazardous before becoming addicted don't deserve a dime. But the folks who believed the big tobacco story are owed compensation. Insurance companies and federal and state governments who paid the tab for tobacco related illness have actual money damages.

And they are collecting.

By Gas Mask on Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 09:26 pm:

"it's not much but I will keep searching."

Waffles, I agree with you as far as that goes. NCPA is a right wing organization whose work garners the praise of Newt Gingrich and Phil Gramm.

And boasts about it.

By Gee on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 12:51 am:

Even if it weren't a health issue (and I believe it is), second hand smoke is just really freaking rude. I don't like people blowing smoke in my face. It would be nice if resturant owners had a Real way of keeping the SMOKING section from infecting the NON-SMOKING section, but I guess it's just too tricky for them, cuz I have yet to see a place where the two sections are Really seperate. Most of the time it's just a matter of putting an ashtray on one table, and a No Smoking sign on the wall above the table beside it. And when I'm sitting at a table right on the line of the Smoking and the Non-Smoking, having to breath someone else's firey death does Not make for a hearty appitite.

Sure, fine, smell is a part of why I don't dig second hand smoke. whatever. So what? If you know what you're doing smells like crap to others around you, you Shouldn't be Doing it. It's just common fricking courtesy, for pete's sake.

By J on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 09:46 am:

I don,t smoke around people`that don,t,your right Gee,I remember how I felt about it before I started doing it.I was 16 when I started,I had met my now husband,he was 20,I lied about how old I was,I wanted to fit in with the big kids.I can,t believe I do it sometimes and I have asthma.I,m at the point in my life where I,d like to quit but I,m afraid I,d get fat.I quit for 5 days a few years ago,I made my family so miserable they were begging me to smoke again.I hate it though when I go to a restarant and I,m in the smoking section and some jackasses that didn,t want to wait for a table in the non-smoking section sits in the smoking section and starts flapping their menus around and acting like my smoking is puting them out,I can be a real asshole.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 12:12 pm:

really, the debate about whether a a non smoking section is truely "non-smoking" is futile......if you don't like it, don't patronize the business........i have been to plenty of resturaunts where the smoking area is outdoors our in a seperate room all together....boo hoo.....really, and Gee, where you live, people actually get in your face and blow smoke in it? How rude, if anyone did that I would punch their lights out......but i hardly doubt that is the exact treatment you are receiveing.....it's petty and just silly...i do admit i don't know a thing about the NCPA.......i just found their statements and they seemed plausible...they didn't boast about gignrich or anyone else on their site....and the medical profession has known smoking is bad for decades.....my grandfather had a lung removed in 1956 and the doctors told him THEN to quit smoking...and he did.......they have known smoking is bad since the turn of the century...however, many doctors were paid to advertise and speak on behalf of tobacco companies way back when, they were paid to downplay the risks of smoking....doctors do that for all kminds of medicines and practices...not all doctors agree..if anyone was stupid enough to consult the tobacco companies to gain information on the medical repercussions of smoking....if anyone was too stupid to realize that their persistant cough COINCIDENTALLY occured when they lit up..... well they don't deserve a dime for being such idiots......the tobacco companies didn't lie, they skewed information to sell a product......what company doesn't skew information to sell a product........if we scrutinized 10 companies, i would be willing to bet 7 of them would be found "liars" about their products. No smokers period deserve a dime in these lawsuits....they are money grubbing, idiots who sue because they can, and a fuckface lawyer (Troy McClure) is willing to take the case.....in hopes of scoring big......they are making a mockery of our already weak justice system......it's simple.... if you don't want to be around cigarette smoke leave the vicinity,in public places that is (that doesn't include resturaunts and bars, those are in fact private businesses), you have options, more so than smokers do, the policies are in your favor, really, if we are so concerned with our health , then why do we allow mcdonalds to exist, outback steakhouse, and any of the ridiculous places that serve ridiculous proportions of meat.........or better yet, howz about those reaturaunts that offer "60oz ribeye, FREE if you eat it all".......i mean if we are so concerned with health, lets be consistant.....SUV's outta of the picture.....no more new development of land, 1 vehicle per household, strict and severe emission standards, 35 mph speed limits, threatening business with chapter 11 if they dump toxins into the environment and so on...........we pick and choose our battles and right now it's profitable to sue the tobacco companies and it's profitable for all the companies who manufacture aids to help you quit.......stop demonizing smoking...it's old oldold

By Nonsmoking Realist on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 04:15 pm:

Something else...the same Califascists that worry about "secondhand smoke" think nothing about sitting in rush-hour traffic, groovin' to the tunes with the car windows open (or closed...what's the dif?) breathing in all of that toxicity. Anytime, night or day in SoCal. you are breathing in toxic fumes.

The whole "secondhand smoke" issue is a non-issue.
    Disinformation and half-truth to keep our brains addled with crappola while our "leaders" fuck us over.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 05:19 pm:

America the land of strong individuals willing to tough it out for freedom. Now nothing but a bunch of crybabies wanting to blame someone for the slightest inconvience.

BUT HEY ALL THIS DEBATE NEEDS NOW IS SOME VEGETARIANS. hahaha

By JHC on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 05:20 pm:

what's wrong with meat?

By H on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 05:28 pm:

Waffles -- Get your facts straight!

The fuckface lawyer is Lionel Hutz, proprietor of I Can't Believe It's A Lawfirm, where every new client gets a complimentary smoking monkey toy. He is also attributed with the quote "That's why you're the judge and I'm just the . . . law . . talking guy."

By Waffles on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 06:17 pm:

i stand corrected your honor.........please don't sue me for lible of slander.......it was an honest mistake......i need to go and spend another weekend watching my 23 VHS tapes of simpsons

By Agatha on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 09:23 pm:

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH VEGETARIANS?

By Swine on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 09:54 pm:

i have a load of rubber soy meat in my pants.

By Nate on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 10:01 pm:

yesterday the only meat i ate i either killed myself or watched killed.

someday i'll have to tell ya'll how to field dress a grouse.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 11:10 pm:

A problem with vegetarians?
    No, not me I just thought that throwing that in there would be the perfect catalyst needed to turn this thread into a full-blown street fight. Since that hasn't worked how about....

BLACK GAY VEGETARIANS WHO SMOKE WHILE WORSHIPPING SATAN AND RAPING HANDICAPPED CHILDREN

any takers? :) :(

By Gee on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:45 am:

I remain unconvinced.

Realist - Second hand smoke is Not a "non-issue". What a ridiculous statement. Obviously if you see people saying they seriously have a problem with it, then it's an issue. I seriously have a problem with it. Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean it's not important to others. On principle I don't trust people who describe themselves as "realists", since they're usually just people with pessimistic views who think they know everything.

Waffle - I would stop going to the resturants that didn't have clearly defined Smoking/Non-Smoking sections, but if I did that I wouldn't Ever Eat Out. I don't ever remember being assaulted by other people's smoke when I was in the states, so maybe things are different there. And no one has ever walked right up to me and blown smoke in my face...sheesh...they exhail without regard as to where their smoke is going and it usually goes for someone who Isn't smoking at the moment. It's irresponsible and rude.

J - I'm with you on that one. I've sat in smoking sections before cuz I didn't want to wait for a non-smoking table, but whenever I do that I know it's MY PROBLEM if they're breathing smoke in my direction. They're allowed to smoke there, if they want too, and if I don't like it, too frickin' bad for me. See, I'm not compleatly unreasonable. I know smokers have rights, I just don't like it when they stomp on My rights.

By H on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 07:54 am:

Waffles- Your confession is taken under submission and in honor of the late Lionel Hutz, I am declairing "one of those bad court thingy's."

Uh, a mistrial. Yeah, that's it.

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 09:54 am:

H,where do you live?I sometimes find that I need a lawyer you seem cool.One time I just kicked someone(they were asking for it)in the ass,my husband told me I didn,t need a lawyer,that I could state my case myself,when I tried to,everyone in the court room started laughing at me,it was so humiliating.If I ever get in trouble again,maybe you could at least help me find a good one out here.

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:24 am:

By H on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:47 am:

J - I am in St. Louis. You are in AZ, correct? I only know one attorney out there - she's a worker's comp attorney but maybe she will know someone if the need arises.

But try to keep your feet out of other people's asses.

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:52 am:

I do now,cause jail is no fun.I try to be a bit more subtle.

By Mr. Non-smoke-too-much on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 07:36 am:

Gee,

"On principle I
    don't trust people who describe themselves as "realists",
    since they're usually just people with pessimistic views who
    think they know everything."

Cool. If you want to think that what I believe is a result of pessimism and "know-it-all-ism", go for it. If you want to think that we, as citizens of the media bombarded public, just get the straight poop on the issues and part of the job of the media isn't to keep us ignorant and docile...it's all yours!

If you are not a "realist", then what? A "fantascist"?

There is no such thing as "smoker's rights". There are just rights. Start taking them away, everyone suffers.

By Waffles on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 01:47 pm:

you spoke of LA, you live there?here?

wanna share a smoke, make a joke, grasp and reach for a leg of hope words to memorize words hypnotize, words make my mouth exercise words all fail the magic prize nothing i can say when i am in your thighs so oh ohh ohh my my my mo my mo ma mother...i would love to love you brother city is resteless ready to pounce......

add it up

By Rhetoric lover on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 08:30 pm:

Well...yea, since you put it that way..sure.

Pomes makes me sleepy.

By Jinafishes on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 04:32 pm:

Gone daddy gone, love is gone yeah it's gone daddy gone, love is gone awayyeeeee, gone awayyeeeee. (breaks out in a spazztic dance)

By CHEEEEEZUS on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 05:10 pm:

CHEEZUS Luvz yew.

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 05:11 pm:

"Jesus loves you, but he's alone in that sentiment, so don't get too comfortable."

--Smart Went Crazy

By Waffles on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 07:45 pm:

do you have a brother named cheezus whizus?

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 08:49 pm:

Or a sister named Jeezus Beezus?

By Beatrice on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 01:05 am:

Pest!

By Mr. Doesnt-Smoke-Enough on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 07:20 am:

I quit smoking two months ago?....and my LUNGS is goin' CRAZY!

I don't really crave a smoke at all. Just my poor lungs are rejecting the idea of not breathing in smoke every hour.

I woke up last night and one of my lungs was halfway out my nose -- trying to run away from home --!!! He slunk back inside my body...now I sleep with little corks in my nostrils.

By Mystic_Cheeken_God on Wednesday, October 20, 1999 - 08:11 am:

In Oregon, you can't smoke in restaurants. Yay! One of many reasons why I live there.

Have a nice day.

By Cheeken God on Wednesday, October 20, 1999 - 09:03 am:

Because if you think for one second that, when I walk into a restaurant and sit down to enjoy my carcinogen-encrusted spotted-owl burger, flame broiled to perfection over a pit of old-growth timber, while slogging down free refill after free refill of Saccharine-soda, I want your nasty little smoke particles drifting over in my general direction, then, Mr. Poopypants, You've got another thing coming.
    *harumph*

By FB on Wednesday, October 20, 1999 - 09:37 am:

HAHAHA

By Cyst on Wednesday, October 20, 1999 - 03:23 pm:

mcg - are you serious? no smoking in restaurants here in oregon? I hadn't even noticed.

By Cheeken God on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 02:50 pm:

yeah, they passed it a couple years ago...don't know much else about it. But you know us oregonians are wierd, we won't let you pump your own gas, either...hehe

By Lucy Phurre on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 03:42 pm:

My issue with the smoking thing is that it's really a class issue. Nicotine is primarily a lower-class drug. So much so that Chomsky predicts that it will soon be illegal (from The Common Good)
    And I don't really have a problem with nonsmoking bars (Visiting smoky bars in B-more after living in CA, I wouldn't want to work there), it's irritating, but okay.
    But the cigarette tax is just a PC way to tax the poor. Fuck that!
    Tax the goddamn Wall Street Journal

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact