Holiday Destinations....

sorabji.com: I need advice: Holiday Destinations....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
MoonIt on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 12:36 am:

Okay like I said on the WAYD, Jules and I are doing the 25th birthday holiday tour thing and we need a place to go!

She wants New York
    *singing*
    "well i headed out to new york
    yeah i headed out to new york
    where i thought something would happen
    yeah it did and it happened all night
    it gets hot
    it gets hot in manhattan
    don't let your lovin grow cold
    can't sleep alone
    i sink like a stone without you"

uh anyway, i favoured Bali (Jules has never ever ever been out of New Zealand - so I thought culture shock would be quite an experience for her) (not that i'm actually that well travelled myself - bali, australia - typical kiwi destinations for those with no interest in the BIG OE)

so ideas people....c'mon now...

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 01:28 am:

Come to Iowa.....of course....it's like a whole different world.

By Gee on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 02:56 am:

Not to be too obvious or anything, but um...Toronto? =o)

By MoonIt on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 04:55 am:

I was thinking Canada ya know cause I know some people there... I'm not going to Iowa Beav... name me five fun things to do there that do not involve anything to do with farms/tractors/or the outdoors in general!

BTW Jules hates outdoory/farmy/treky things. So keep that in mind.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 06:24 am:

I wasn't serious. Just my usual smart ass self.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 06:25 am:

I wasn't serious. Just my usual smart ass self.

By Cyst on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 08:52 am:

go to spain.

By Pink on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 09:20 am:

Geezuz, Fed, don't sucker her in to the Iowa scene. Wait,...come to Iowa, yes, come to Iowa. Where the corn grows and the pigs rut. Come to Iowa.

By J on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 12:52 pm:

Come to Arizona,I almost got in a fight with a 54 year old loser who was making fun of Mexicans,saying they took jobs away from Americans,the asshole then told me the K.K.K. and the Hells Angles run the country.I started making fun of him.A lesbian couple sat next to us,after we left my husband said something about the "man"staring at me,I told him that was a woman,he doesn,t believe it,but it was.

By Gee on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 02:50 pm:

Toronto is a big city. Not a lot of farms and tractors here. I hear Vancouver is nice, too. Personally, I want to go to Alberta and British Columbia.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 06:22 pm:

But....But....in order for me to be allowed out of Iowa, I have to find a replacement. That's the rules here.....it's evil but true.

By Jinafishes on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 07:27 pm:

I've been to Alberta AND British Columbia! They're both really awesome too, specially through the Rockies, it's purdy. Hmm I'd say bc is nicer though, unless you enjoy the alberta plains, and it gets chilly fast in november. Edmonton is a really cool city, lots to do, lots of clubs, lots of liquor stores, friendly people. Vancouver's neat as well, I stayed at a hostel there directly downtown, there's lots to do there, but I never read the brochures so I'm not sure. There's a beach.. a sound, Vancouver Island is close by.. And I hear Victoria is really pretty. But you'll want to go soon cause once the weather turns, it tends to want to stay grey, and stormy if you're lucky. Not only that, but it's all by Seattle as well. And then there's the San Juan Islands in the middle there between washington and vancouver island.. and the Peninsula with hot springs and stuff. If it was me, I'd go to the Med around Greece.

By Waffles on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 01:25 pm:

i'm gonna vomit this morning

By The Dinner Lady on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 01:42 pm:

Toronto is really, really, nice, I've been thinking of going there myself for Canadian Thanksgiving/Columbus Day weekend. Will everything be closed there? Plus your money is worth big big money there, 65 cents US = $1 CAN. Don't know NZ conversions.

By J on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 01:44 pm:

Are you sick Waffles?Cause I saw on another thread,that you never drank and puked.That show that angry sam did,the one where the parents got away with murdering there son for being gay.That pissed me off.

By Waffles on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 02:11 pm:

yeah, i am not gonna throw up per say..i just feel like it. i got 4 hours of sleep and was quite tipsy when i crashed.....

By Gee on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 12:21 am:

Canadian thanksgiving rocks. My family always celebrates it the day Before the actual holiday, so we can have a free day to "recover". Then we pack into a tiny kitchen and sit around the table waiting for my brother to do something disgusting, so the fun can begin. The usual insuting remarks and offensive comments you can only say in the company of family soon follows, and a good time is had by all! Sometimes it ends with a food fight. Or a game of Pictionary.

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 03:14 pm:

So it's the playing of Pictonary at holidays that ties our nations together. Interesting.

By Mona on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 04:26 pm:

How about San Lorenzo? The capital, Bolivar, is beautiful this time of year!

By Cyst on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 04:07 pm:

calgary's nicer than edmonton, I think. vancouver's cool -- you can smoke pot in cafes, which is nice.

I haven't spent as much time in italy as I should have, but I still think spain is one of the best places.

it's warm. the languages are beautiful. the food is incredible. beaches. the nightclubs stay open till dawn. the moorish architecture in andalucia is almost as beautiful as the gaudi buildings in catalonia. I've never even been to madrid, but the prado is supposed to be one of the finest art museums in the world. I know nothing about that. the people are nice. tapas. seafood. wine.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 05:03 pm:

I heard Portugual has so many fucking crazy car accidents because people are speeding like crazy on this small highway and all of a sudden it turns into a town and out again. And then if they're lucky it'll be a curvy road. I saw it on Discovery, it was weird, the car in front of the camera car was trying to take a curve and somehow took it so hard that it ran straight into the tree on the side of the inside curve. I forget what the death rate is, but it's high, and no one seems to care.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 05:13 pm:

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 05:16 pm:

I and my family went to Portugal about 10 years ago, and we were nearly run off the road by two Spanish cars (as indicated by their license plates). This was on a mountain road, too. Apparently, the relations between Spaniards and Portugese are rather hostile at times, and they decided to take it out on us, unawares that we were dim-witted Americans in that tiny Portugese car.

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 06:09 pm:

NO...you are mistaken ...the Spaniards knew you were Americans.

The east coast of Spain is a nice vacation spot...anywhere around Barcelona.

By Cyst on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 08:45 pm:

especially sitges (rhymes with "peaches").

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 10:58 pm:

Hey...I've been to Sitges...beautiful small fishing village...that coast road from Sitges going north is something out of a James Bond movie.

The bullfights in Tarragona are a 'not to be missed'.... little town south of Sitges...Salou...I think... is where I spent a summer after a season of playing hockey in Europe ....a holiday of a lifestime.

By Rhiannon on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 10:40 am:

We saw some bullfights in Madrid. That's where I got sick and almost died. And then I was healed by St. Theresa when we were in Avila. Anyway...

I liked Compostella the best. We were there during the annual pilgrimage, and it was really beautiful.

Go to Italy. You haven't lived until you've been to Assisi. I liked Padova a lot, too. When we were there, I went to a museum that had these fantastic theatre masks, carved to represent every emotion in the spectrum. There were also these extremely fascinating leather sculptures...one I remember vividly was of a headless and limbless torso suspended upside down, with a chain around its neck, and on the floor was a face connected to the chain, and the face had a zipper down the middle of it that was half-open. The artist's name was Donato Sartori...I've never been able to find any more info. on him.

The Lake Como area is also very beautiful, especially up by the Swiss border. Switzerland is beautiful, for that matter.

By That damn Apple kid on Saturday, September 25, 1999 - 08:58 pm:

My dentist claims that Italy is great.
    Most of Europe is good.
    Canada is a no-no.
    Iowa? WHY???

But by all means, make your own damn decision! It's your life, don't let others mess it up.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact