wondering

sorabji.com: I need advice: wondering
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dr. Spectrum on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 07:14 pm:

Do the conservative moral values of a middle class family take on a generic quality in a commercial consumer environment?

By Gee on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 01:18 am:

nah.

By _____ on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 02:19 am:

dude.

By R.C. on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 05:13 am:

What makes you think all "middle-class families" are morally conservative?

And what does it mean to be "middle-class" in the 21st century, anyway? (Just so I can update my files...)

By semillama on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 01:58 pm:

Qualify 'generic'. Define what the moral values are.

perhaps a better questin would be:

Do the moral values of a conservative, middle class Euro-American family take on a generic quality in a commercial consumer environment?

By Isolde on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 09:25 pm:

yes. Because moral values seem to be sold by the pound at the local Safeway now--many middle class Euro-AMerican families all seem to hold the same values, and not really have any conviction behind them, other than that "society told me."

By heather on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 10:05 pm:

do the generic qualities of a commercial consumer middle class take on a euro-american quality in a conservative moral environment?

does a moral conservative environment take on a generic euro-american consumer quality in a commercial middle class?

does a quasi-generic southern fried moral environment take on a pragmatic value based moral relationship with a middle class conservationist if foucault was a euro-american masochist?

lies
    all lies

By semillama on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 10:18 pm:

hee hee. Looking forward to meeting you, heather.

By Sarah on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 12:02 am:

i smell love connection.

you heard it here first.

By Taetia on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 01:09 am:

Everything takes on a generic quality in a
    commercial consumer environment. We're all reduced
    to marketing surveys and advertising target
    groups.

By _____ on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 01:18 am:

0+2=1

By Gee on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 02:12 am:

nah.

By semillama on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 03:44 pm:

"Hey, i think they have SANDWICHES in there."

Just out of curiousity, has Sorabjiland ever resulted in a love connection?

Not that I am predicting such if Heather and I meet, that's more like one of those coincidences that two of us will be in the same town at the same time.

By Sarah on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 05:26 pm:

nate and daniela.

me and sheila.

By Gee on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 01:55 am:

Is Daniela the Dani who posts on WAYD?

By Sister on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 05:28 pm:

the "rub" connection is what my brother calls that show

By Doctor Spectrum on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 05:39 pm:

Having a comfortable home not necessarily in the suburbs, making enough money to live comfortably. Not people like Donald Trump or Ted Turner, obviously, They are rich. Not too poor, not too rich.
    I didn't say all middle class people are conservative.
    Taetia, that's a good answer.
    Semi, that's right.
    Isolde, that's the best answer I've heard yet.
    I don't know how to reply to most of these questions. I could say:
    "Blue because the earth is not flat."
    By the way,
    What kind of arithmetic is that ________ ?

By Lucy Phurre on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 08:06 pm:

I would say that individualism is dead. It has been pasteurized, homogenized, stripped of all content and sold to MTV for repackaging as the "alternative" mainstream popular culture.

Everyone is an "individual" these days, but when it comes down to it, nobody will break from their "alternative" herd.

e.g. you fuckers, although I think my point stands even without such a compelling example being so ready to hand.

As for "moral conservatism", could you define that?

And as for "middle class" I'd say that your idea of the middle class has been colored by the popular view of middle class people, which has been sold to you by the same consumer culture that you criticize.

That's a lot of people to be tarring with one brush.

By Taetia on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 12:45 am:

Moral conservatism

Main ingredient: fear - fear of changes and
    challenges; fear of making a mistake, of looking
    silly or strange; fear of losing - especially
    money and jobs - and fear of winning too much in
    case someone is upset.

Place in a large mythical Golden Age bowl, with
    full employment, polite teenagers, chicks and
    spics and niggers knowing their places, Coca Cola
    Christmasses and apple pie all round.

Add a heaped spoonful of Christianity: pleasure
    is sin, the work ethic, gender dualism,
    asceticism, guilt, blame, and the desire for
    absolution.

Separate spiritualism. Add external spiritualism -
    searching for meaning in the outer world, empty
    rituals, the need to prove things to others - and
    discard the ability to find happiness in the
    silence of one's soul.

By _____ on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 01:39 am:

you left out:
    forget that we are animals and that our instinctual urges often clash with what our society expects of us. don't let your ugly side out for the anonymous public to experience, but save it for the people who are closest to you because they are the only ones that will forgive you even if you don't deserve forgiveness.

By Taetia on Wednesday, December 22, 1999 - 10:12 pm:

Well said.

I also forgot baking instructions. Place in a hot
    oven of global change and conflict, and bake for
    30-35 years until the outside is hard and the
    centre is hollow.

Serve to everyone whether they want it or not. In
    fact - serve especially to those who reject it, as
    they are obviously most in need.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact