what movies should I see?

sorabji.com: I need advice: what movies should I see?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By cyst on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 09:09 pm:

a friend who loved "dogma" said I should see "magnolia." I think we have opposite taste in movies, so I consider his recommendation a big thumbs-down. the city weekly's movie reviewer said it was worth seeing, even if it is flawed, but she also recommended "mansfield park." it'll take me a little while to forget about that. I don't care if it's flawed, as long as it's not boring or stupid. the film sounds like one of altman's later works. overreaching, long, complex. flawed.

"grand illusion." I bet the million critics can't be wrong. I've never seen it. I would guess that I should. does anyone know for sure?

I forget what it's called, "decalogue"? the 10 one-hour films that illustrate the 10 commandments. they're from 10 years back, directed by the polish guy with the super long name whose initials are KK. I've seen one film by him, "blue." it failed the boring half of my boring/stupid test. but I've heard that "red" and "white" were more entertaining.

I think that's all I need to know for now, thanks.

By R.C. on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 09:20 pm:

All movies are 'flawed' on some level. But as long as neither or those flaws are bad acting or bad writing/who cares?

My recommendations:

Go see 'Magnolia'.

Go see 'Boys Don't Cry'.

And 'Hurricane'. (Denzel has his shirt off for like, half the movie!) Plus it's based on a true story. All the reviews say his performance has got 'Oscar' written all over it -- which is NEVER said abt Black actors unless it's true.

Skip the rest & wait for the videos.

I've never heard of 'Decalogue'.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 11:29 pm:

I've seen "boys don't cry." I second r.c.'s recommendation.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 11:52 pm:

Krzysztof Kieslowski. that's the director's name. and the films are called "decalogue," "dekalog" in polish.

By Gee on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:48 am:

I want someone to spoil "boys don't cry" for me (if I'm thinking of the right movie). I think I've seen commercials for it. someone tell me - is that boy really a girl?

By Gee on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:50 am:

I went to see "Galaxy Quest" last weekend. it was really stupid, but in a nice calm way. It amused me. I'm sorry I spent seven bucks on it (it was really short) but seeing it on TV would have been a lot of fun.

By sarah on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 03:46 am:

this weekend all i want to do is surf during the day and sit in dark movie theaters by myself at night.

are there any really horribly sad movies out right now?

By _____ on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 10:02 am:

snow falling on cedars is supposed to be sad but it's also supposed to suck.

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 11:27 am:

The Green Mile is good,and a real sad movie,it was written by Stephen King based on a true story.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 11:38 am:

snow falling on cedars (the novel) kicked ass.

By Margret on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 11:51 am:

I just saw Galaxy Quest and it was actually hysterical.
    And that's not just because I have crushes on Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Enrico Colantoni, and Sigourney Weaver, I swear.

By cyst on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 11:55 am:

yeah, the boy in "boys don't cry" is really a girl. it's clear from the very first scene.

it's based on a true story from the mid-'90s. a girl dresses up as a guy and seduces a girl in a little hick town in kansas or somewhere. doesn't anyone else remember?

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 11:58 am:

there have been plenty of articles in The Advocate about that girl, i bet it is a fascinating movie. It's quite a sad story.

By Margret on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:21 pm:

Yes, Brandon Teena (Tina?). I read the true crime story, a couple of years ago when I was going through a true crime phase. The book was called "All She Wants" because she liked the Ace of Base song.

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:33 pm:

Cyst I think it was Nebraska,I want to see that one.I saw the trailer for GIrl,Interupted and started crying,that one hit,s too close to home.

By Spider on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:45 pm:

I read the book ("Girl Interrupted") and I don't remember the descriptions of hospital life being as "wooHOOOOO PARTYYY!!!" as the movie (according to the trailers) make it out to be.

Speaking of which, a long time ago I found on the net somewhere the story of this guy who had been sent to a mental hospital for four months in the 1980s for casually remarking to a friend that he often thought about what it would feel like to die (he wasn't suicidal). The guy kept a diary and wrote about how cult-like and thought-controlling it was in the hospital, where people were discouraged from having personal identities and encouraged to identify with the group. People who acted out too much were shot full of Thorazine and locked in a tiny room. I wish I could find it again...it was really scary.

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:53 pm:

So is Thorazine

By Isolde on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 02:17 pm:

I hated Snow Falling on Cedars. No, let me revise that. I disliked large portions of the book. I thought it was badly written and kind of pointless. I do think that the Japanese Internment camps should be written about, but I don't think Snow Falling on Cedars was wonderful. That's all. No shooting me, please?

By Gee on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 02:38 am:

I saw the Hurricane tonight and let me say first that it was a really good movie. I liked it even though I didn't think I would.

Secondly, I think if anyone who had helped make that movie had been in the theater tonight they would have walked away feeling like a giant failure. there was much laughter.

There were a whole bunch of "canadian" comments. The audience (me included) really loved those, and they'd laugh a whole bunch everytime someone said something weird about canadians. I know those comments were supposed to be amusing, but in the states I'm sure they'd only get smiles, and here they got room-wide laughter. I love when that kind of thing happens.

"Let me tell you something, Mr. Canadian..." Heh heh! It still makes me laugh!

totally worth the ten bucks.

By Carrie Ann on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 07:57 pm:

Snow Falling On Cedars: One of my boyfriend's High School teachers wrote that novel (David Guterson). I've heard mixed reviews but am STOKED to see it and want to read the whole novel before doing so.

Boys Don't Cry: Saw an interview on MTV today, with the woman that portrayed Brandon (main 'character'), in that movie. The interview brought in a flood of emotions in itself, so I can only imagine what seeing the movie will do to me. It looks like an incredible flick and it's definitely up there towards the top of my 'need to see' list.

Along with... Magnolia, Hurricane (R.C., always with the good taste! Denzel, yummy.), The Green Mile, Girl Interrupted...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact