Boob job

sorabji.com: I need advice: Boob job
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By The Dinner Lady on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 10:00 am:

My friend told me last night that she is going to a plastic surgeon today to look into getting her breasts reduced. I know that she has often been self-concious of them (I'd guess she is a 34 or 36D) and hides them alot, won't wear anything very clingy.

Cosmetic surgery freaks me out. I read this article in George a while ago about a woman who was gonna have a face lift and they accidentally severed these nerves in her face and now she takes prescription painkillers 24-7 and can't leave her bedroom. She said 'They call it cosmetic surgery like it's not *surgery*. Things can go wrong and they do'. Also a friend of mine in Feb went in for a 'routine operation' to have his heart fixed from a birth defect that could lead to something later on. He wound up having 3 strokes on the operating table and now sits in a rehab center unable to talk or move with 'locked in syndrome'. I guess I can't imagine risking your life for something like smaller boobs.

Plus, lets get real. The plastic surgery is something she can't afford and it's masking the real troubles in her life: a job she hates that screws with her self-esteem which she should leave
    and a boyfriend who after 3 years of living together just moved home to live with his parents (age 43 with 3 kids from a previous marriage) so he can 'save money so they can buy a house together'. He's told her he will never marry her, he does not want to have kids (she does) and he refuses to socialize with her friends or family or be part of her life though she is always giving and giving to him and his life and his kids and his family. For instance: for the past 2 years on her b-day she, I, her siblings and friends have all gone out for a big birthday dinner with her but the beau won't go because 'he doesn't like social situations'. Whatever. Of course she needs to get real about that relationship.

So I see this whole plastic surgery thing as just a band-aid on all the wrong things in her life. In the past few months she's also spent $ on teeth whitening and cosmetic laser surgery (spider veins) which she didn't need and can't afford. It just really freaks me out and dismays me that she's ready to cut off her boobs rather than just look at what is really needing some change in her life. It sucks. I guess I can't stop her. But it still disturbs me.

By Isolde on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 10:17 am:

That is very disturbing. You think there's no way to talk her out of it? I would never go in for surgery I didn't need. I probably wouldn't be allowed to, either, but that's aside. I guess some people buy clothes to cheer themselves up, some people get surgery? I can understand wanting to reduce your breasts if they're embarrassing to you, but you seem to think that's not her sole motive, that it's more like an excuse. If she doesn't have much money, she should do something that's more immediatly productive with it--at least I think so. But I suppose I'm not in her place...

By crimson on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 10:42 am:

it sounds disturbing as hell to me, too. cosmetic surgery has generally struck me as something straight from loserville, anyway. especially boob jobs. triple that for breast augmentation, which looks (to me) monstrously fucked-up (can't think of anything less sexy than bogus tits) & advertises a glaring lack of self-esteem. breast reduction? hmmm. i've known people who've wanted it, because big breasts can be painful. a friend of mine, a drummer, wanted breast reduction surgery because playing a full set every night when you've got huge tits is not exactly a pleasant experience.

anyway, your friend doesn't sound like she needs elective surgery. she needs to open up a can of whoop-ass on her stupid lout of a boyfriend. i can't imagine what kind of subzero self-esteem a person would have to possess to allow a man to run roughshod over her like that. she doesn't need the knife; she needs a good shrink. she may even need happy pills.

getting one's tits lopped seems like just another brand of self-mutilation to me. it's assisted self-mutilation. somewhere deep in the convoluted morass of her internal psychology, she may be punishing the feminine side of herself, since it hasn't yet been successful in roping in Mr. Dream Date Ken.

i don't know. it's a hard call. ultimately, there's probably precious little you can do to talk her out of it, if she's hell-bent on doing it. still, your concern is hardly misplaced. it IS disturbing & it's one hell of a creepy thing to watch a friend go through.

By Nate on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 10:45 am:

every woman needs boobs on her back

By patrick on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 11:48 am:

i have since had a change of thought on boob jobs. or rather a reproach. someone i know had a boob job. she is well known....for her work. it was nothing major. she went from an A cup to a B, you can't even tell...it made her happy, yet so many of her friends were so damn judgemental, even hostile that she had this done. she's happy with it. i've seen them, you would never know, but it was a minor procedure that in the end truly made her feel somewhat more feminine....she was tired of having no tits at all.....i also know a woman who got a small increase as well. Not for outward appearance but because it turned her on. It turned her on during sex to imagine slightly bigger boobs, to grab them, she professed it was a pure turn on. She spent the money and says her sex life has improved tremendously. It appears to be no different than getting eye laser surgery, a hair cut, your nails done or your ears pierced.

I read somewhere recently, apprarently the women who are having breast surgeries these days are above average...statistically, with education, careers and so forth.

Since i have no idea what its like to have huge tits, i can empathize with someone who has a huge chest. Imagine all the stares, the stress on her back.....i read an account of a woman who got a breast reduction.....an essay, it sounded like a true relief for her........

By Mavis on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 11:57 am:

i can too, patrick. for a lot of people, having overly large breasts is a burden, socially and physically.
    but why anybody would want to have breast enlargement surgery, knowing how dangerous it is, is beyond me.
    a lot of women whose implants happened to have leaked now have compromised immune systems, are always sick, and miserable to boot. it just seems like a scheme on the part of plastic surgeons to trick people or something.
    remember though, that i live in granola utopia oregon where people don't bug out about their chest size like they might in some places

By patrick on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:10 pm:

i would be interested in knowing the statistics of the botched boob jobs. from what i understand there are many doctors out ther who are simply not qualified to do the procedure. who simply offer the service half assed, in smaller markets to make money. from what i understand you gotta spend the money, on a good doctor, usually the best being in NY and LA for obvious reasons......from what i understand they are now offering procedures from the belly button to avoid scarring

By agatha on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 12:37 pm:

large boobs are uncomfortable. they can cause back problems,neck problems, etc. i have a friend who had d cups, she had a breast reduction and she is about 500x happier now. she exercises regularly now, she can sleep on her stomach, and she stands up straight. if i had huge boobs, i would probably cut them off too.

By J on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 02:50 pm:

I had a friend that had huge breasts and we were out one night and some biker type came up and he'd like to cut one of hers off and make a pouch out of it.That was sick enough,what was sicker was she took off with him.That was the same gal that woke up in a parking lot with her pubic hairs shaved off and she didn't remember what happened.We use to go to a nightclub on Scottsdale Rd.,they had a small room with no door that had a few pinball machines in there.One night we were there and I lost her,found her in the pinball room going down on some guy,people were watching too.I acted like I didn't know her,and took off.

By TBone on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 06:42 pm:

I saw a thing on tv once about adjustable breast augmentation. It was safer (leakage wasn't a big deal) because it was water in a firm pouch. If the woman in question decided she got them too big, or wanted a little more boost, or whatever, she could go back and get water added or removed via a syringe. There was this little thing put just under the skin where you could poke it with a needle and not cause it to leak.

Apparently the women were really happy with it. In most cases they had some water drained afterward because they overestimated their "ideal" size.

I don't know what I think about this stuff... Kinda depends on the motivation. If it's to reel in guys, its silly. Women with fine breasts making them monstrous doesn't make any sense.

Then there's the men who get breast implants...

By Tom on Friday, September 29, 2000 - 08:41 pm:

yeah. instead of having the girl get a reduction, I just went in and had mine augmented to make her feel better. Plus, I get great side gigs posing as "that guy from Fight Club."

By The Dinner Lady on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 12:12 am:

I'd just say for the record, my friend always talks about how her boobs are so big but I would just say they are 'on the larger side'. She's a size 8 and has a c or d cup. She's not a freak of nature but she was born the way other women pay hard cash to look. She says they ache when she takes off her bra at nite. Hey so do mine sometimes. I understand some people have them reduced and they experience great joy in their new bod (I have a friend like this) but let us just say that for this girl, it being the 3rd appearance treatment she's gone for in a few months (none of which she could afford) I think it don't have to do with her boobs. Well, not as much as having a 'beau' who acts like she is 'ok to be around when I feel like it' that she wants to marry. Egad. I don't know if she will go through with it. I honestly don't know where she'd get the cash besides credit. She thinks she is so ugly but she is so cute and sexy. She just hates herself or doesn't believe in herself in some really primal way and it makes me sad.

I really can't endorse cosmetic surgery unless you are deformed in some way or in an accident or something. Maybe I am lucky that I don't have anything about my appearance that I would change dramatically if I could, but maybe it's just that I'm not filled with self-loathing. And the idea of putting a syringe in your boobs AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Just change the phrase from 'adjustable breast augmentation' to adjustable penis augmentation. There was this little thing put just under the skin where you could poke it with a needle and not cause it to leak'. EEEEEEEEEEEEK. Sounds unbearable.

And I do think breast augmentation is sad. Why can't people accept how they are? And of course the object is to attract men, no matter what anyone says I do believe at the end of the day, you don't let someone cut up your breast with a knife and fill them with a potentially deadly little packet of whatever so that you'll have bigger boobs for any other reason than you think men will be more attracted to you. And that because men will be more attracted to you, you will be a better person more worthy of love and more loved. Hey, maybe they are. But really this is a thing that just preys on I do think it has to do with women's collective low self-esteem. Maybe for some of them it cures their feelings of inadequacy, but it seems sad that can't be done non-surgically. And does it really last (bigger boobs and I'm a new person?) And Patrick is right, cosmetic surgery is unregulated so you can get a real hatchet job if you don't know what you're doing. It is scary to think about it. I wish I had that article from George. I know it had only one side but there was a sidebar which was really sad about a man whose wife gave him liposuction as a xmas gift and he died because the dr. didn't know he was taking out too much fat and blood. Just awful.

On the other hand I do wish Tom much luck on his Fight Club career however.

By pez on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 03:20 am:

barbie got a breast reduction. and a belly. button.

By Gee on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 03:22 am:

this whole subject ticks me off, but I'm not sure I can pinpoint why.

anyway, Lady, I don't know what you're saying to your friend but I hope you're not nagging at her. whether she "realizes" what her "real problems" are or not is up to her and she won't do it any faster if you're standing there telling her how crazy she is for going under the knife.

maybe her problem really Is that she's dissatisfied with her looks to the point that she can't imagian being happy the way she is now. maybe she's so unhappy with her looks that they impare every other aspect of her life. just telling her to "accept it" isn't going to do squat. you don't get over feelings like that just because someone tells you to.

whether this makes her feel better or not, she'll have to find out for herself. I'm sure she'd appreaciate the support of a friend while she's going through all this.

By The Dinner Lady on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 11:52 pm:

Gee - No, I'm not behaving in any way shape or form as you describe above. I am not a nagger, but I am a straight shooter. Since I have known this girl for 15 years I think she knows what she'll get out of me, and I do believe that people know what they'll hear from others when they ask for advice so I think her deciding to tell me of all people about her impending appointment indicates to some extent she wants someone to talk her out of her situation. She knows me, she knew what I would say. People have a habit of calling me when they want to hear hard truths they don't want to admit to themselves and I won't lie about my thoughts on stuff like this, esp when it involves someone who I care about a great deal - friends seem to know that. It is really painful for me to see where she is now. She is so much more than what she wants to believe about herself.

And once again, for the record, my friend is in no way ugly or deformed except in her own mind. If I had to pick a celebrity she reminds me of in appearance it would be Ileana Douglass (sp?), she is thin, big blue eyes, sexy, funny, with a good figure,... so though she may be really dismayed about her appearance she is the only one who thinks that she is ugly. The more I think about what is going on with her, I realise that asking me to be supportive as she wonders if she should spend money she doesn't have to have cosmetic surgery is like asking me to be supportive of an anorexic friend who thinks she needs to go on a diet. I support her, not her delusional thinking.

So I'll suspect your 'ticked off feelings' have something do to with your own feelings on this topic which may be unrelated to my story. Or on something you're reading into my tedious overlong blather (I now would like to apologise to the comittee...) on the topic of cosmetic surgery which now that I really think about it really is only icing on the cake of why I'm upset.

I got together with her roommate over the weekend who had guessed what was going on and was just as dismayed. She says my friend is a no bigger than a 36C. Not 'huge' by any means. All of her friends and family at this point are at various degrees of disturbed about her screwed up relationship, even her Mother started a conversation with me about it last month, telling me she was worried about her which totally shocked me. No one will say to her 'that guy treats you like dirt' because it would do no good. I've tried to ask her about why she likes being with him and when the topic gets to 'but what does he do to make you happy/to show you he cares' she just makes jokes and then changes the subject. It's sad. She won't give up the really painful things in her life because they are the devil she knows. Meanwhile I see them crushing her self-esteem ever further but don't know what I could do to help her.

By Mishelle on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 03:47 am:

lets see the first time i met u i was 18 years old u were the finest mother fucker i ever saw also u were a married man but ur wife jw was a fucken bitch and i helped u by getting u out of a no win relationship she was a bitch and i was a young woman who couldnt wait to fuck the shit out of u u have a very very very larage big fat fucking cock that i will nevdr forget got it u sexy mother fucker love ur long brown dark fucking hair lololollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

By semillama on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 10:30 am:

Could that be any more incomprehensible?

By dave. on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 11:19 am:

translated into kwakiutl, then antarctican, then back into english. yeah, i think it could be.

By wisper on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 08:21 pm:

prove it.

By Nate on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 11:11 pm:

here, look-- but look quickly, i don't want it to get away.

By Emily on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 02:19 pm:

can't imagine wanting them reduced, I've got 34D's and I love 'em!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact