plastic surgery

sorabji.com: I need advice: plastic surgery
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 04:06 am:

ok, so exactly two weeks from today i'm supposed to have the procedure.

i'm kinda freaking out a bit, thinking of rescheduling the surgery for after i get back from Austin in mid-March. but i really want to get it done and over with, the sooner the better because, well, i'm so thin now that my stomach skin and even the muscles, they just feel constantly uncomfortable. and i would feel so much better about myself. that's probably a sad thing to say, but it's true.

the problem is that there's no way i can get all the work that needs to be done at my job before surgery day, and after surgery, i'll be out at least two weeks. the doctor even makes three home visits. it's a pretty gnarly procedure. so i'll be out two weeks, and out of commission in general for about a month. and then i'm supposed to leave for Austin on March 9th. and i'm just not sure that i'll be feeling 100% back to normal by March 9th.

and i don't want to be tired and drawn and lackluster while i'm Austin, for SxSW interactive and music festivals. i want to learn and participate actively, and have fun and party my ass off.

so what should i do? i'm sort of leaning toward rescheduling at this point, it makes the most sense. but i'm just so ready to have this surgery, i've been ready for a long time.

ack.

By dave. on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 10:24 am:

you're very brave. i think you should prioritize. surgery, work, SXSW, partying your ass off, feeling comfortable - what can wait and what can not?

good luck.

By patrick on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 12:30 pm:

i don't understand this....

By Hal on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

Neither do I but its up to you. I mean take the chance, and maybe be sick for the party. OR reschedule PARTY your ASS off, and get it done later...

Tough choice, I think I would get it done and take the chance, you might be fine to party you never know.

By semillama on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 05:53 pm:

There will be another SxSW next year, too.

Can you live with being uncomfortable until after March 9?

ps. Who needs to understand it except Sarah? it's her choice, just like it was my choice to completely slack off the last couple months and eat horribly and sit on my ass, and now try and get back in shape before the next field season...)

By patrick on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 06:15 pm:

well i can't advice her if i don't understand the circumstances no can i mister semillama poo pa loo

By semillama on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

Oh, I thought that your comment had something to do with all the back-and-forth that wnet on the first time Sarah announced she was getting plasitic surgery.

By Nate on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 06:56 pm:

LESBIAN COEDS.

By Antigone on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 07:01 pm:

CREUTZFELDT-JAKOB DISEASE.

By patrick on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 07:08 pm:

well if this IS indeed purely cosmetic...i would say...fuck it, go to sxsw....any uncomfort from this is mentally induced, right...you have admitted to be compuslive and obssessive about this sort of thing. If you are physically in pain or discomfort, brought on by a physical condition, well then you should take care of yourself. But i know if would be angry at myself if i let an insecurity prevent me from going to something as exciting as sxsw.

you could always dip into mexico and get some medications to take your mind off things....

By sarah on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 07:51 pm:

got plenty of medications already.

i think i'm going to reschedule. i really do not want to risk being out of it for SxSW because it's a really big deal to me, and i've also been invited to speak at an event sponsored by SxSW.

i guess if i've lived this long with the discomfort, it can wait til the end of march. it's just really uncomfortable, not to mention such a big pain in the ass. and stomach.

i don't know why i asked for advice. thought someone might have some good solid reasoning to offer that i might have overlooked and it would help me make the right decision.

what it comes down to is peace of body and mind. god, i'm almost there, so close now. gotta keep my eye on the goal.

By patrick on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 08:02 pm:

we cashed in our logic and reasoning with sem earlier this week...it IS friday you know....i suspect our brains are mush or about to become mush

By sarah on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

actually, i need some other advice as well. i want to buy a digital camera, new or used, off ebay even, i don't care.

but i know nothing about digital cameras. i want to spend around $300.00.

anybody have a recommendation? what should i look for in terms of options? brand? memory? etc?

thanks.

By Hal on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 03:21 am:

I recomend either get yourself a cannon, which may be a bit hard to find for 300.00 I'm not sure. Or get a good Kodak, like a 250 +. We used the Kodak 250 back in highschool it was nice, worked well and the resolution wasn't bad either. You should find one of those fairly inexpensive.

By Antigone on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 03:49 am:

I've got a Fuji camera, and it works quite nicely.
    It uses SmartMedia flash memory cards, which is
    nice because they can be used in several devices.
    (I use my 32mb card in my MP3 player as well.)

The Fuji FinePix camera is pretty good, I hear.
    Cheapest I found was

here

I just found an incredible deal on 64MB SmartMedia
    cards

here
    . You should be able to get SmartMedia
    anywhere you can buy a camera, though. (With 64MB
    you could take pictures all day and not run out of
    space, especially at 640x480 resolution.)

Also, it's a good idea to get an adapter for
    reading data off the memory card. You can hook
    the camera directly to your computer, but that's
    usually slooooooow. For SmartMedia, the FlashPath
    adapter works pretty well. It goes right into
    your floppy drive and downloads your pics quite
    quickly.

I found all of this info at the site
    www.pricewatch.com, an excellent price comparison
    website...

Oh, yeah. One last thing: use rechargable
    batteries! They run out quickly. Get NiMH
    (Nickel metal hydride) batteries. You can
    recharge them 1000 times and they don't have
    charge memory like NiCad batteries.

By semillama on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 12:47 pm:

Get extra batteries too.

However, when it comes down to really good pictures, you can't bet an old 35mm SLR, in my book.

Also make sure you get one that you can put a cap over the lens.

By Antigone on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

Yeah, actually you can get some great results with
    a good camera and a slide scanner. (Photo
    scanners don't do as good a job. If you want true
    picture quality, use a slide scanner.)

By Antigone on Saturday, January 20, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

Check

this
    out. Photo and slide scanner, $50. Can't
    get much cheaper than that!

By patrick on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:35 pm:

Mavicas are good. I hear.

I don't know anything about digital...i can talk all day about 35, medium and polaroid formats though

By agatha on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 08:43 pm:

mavicas suck. don't get one. although they are convenient.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 02:52 am:

i rescheduled for march 30th.

that scanner looks ideal, except is 24-true bit color the best you can get? isn't there a higher color resolution available?

By Tom on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 06:42 am:

yeah, but if your color "bottleneck" isn't going to be there, anyhow. That is to say: unless you're doing really high-end print work, 24-bit color is just fine.

the thing about that scanner that gets me is the 4x6 scan size. It can't scan anything much bigger than an index card. But if it's only slides, then that works out fine.

I betcha there's also a catch on the dpi. 4800 software selectable... hrm. If you get it report on it, would you?

By patrick on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

the thing about mavica's from personal experience....those nakey pics most of you saw we modeled for a while back....well he had a nikon and a mavica. what was cool about the mavica, was that it was shaped like a real camera, gripped like a real camera and made clicking noises like a real camera, which being on the modeling end, its good to hear when the shots been taken, and also I liked what i saw of the 700 images. If i were looking for a digital, I would want it as mushc like a real camera as possible. the newer mavicas look like fucked up cam corders...but them again they arent designed for intensive professional use either i suppose. the mavica did much better in my opinion. I perused ebay to see if I could find one like the one he used and I couldnt....so perhaps they don't make them anymore.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

oh, you mean that $50 slide scanner only scans as large as 3x5?

i won't be using a scanner for high end print stuff, but for fairly sophisticated web graphics work. 24 true is still ok for that?

what is the advantage or disadvantage of getting a digital camera with floppy disk storage built in? what kind of a zoom do i want?

By patrick on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

for any camera....zoom wise...the ideal range is anything from 24-130mm. Realistically and cost wise...its more reasonable to expect something like 35-70mm. But again, my knowledge of old fashioned film cameras may not apply to digital.

By dave. on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 02:33 pm:

i have a mavica and i'm not happy with the quality. bad decision. i'm gonna sell it on ebay. i'm also gonna sell the galaxie? anybody want a '64 galaxie 500?

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

24 bit color is more than adequate for web graphics, ya.

By sarah on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 08:37 pm:

i found a kodak dc240 for $275.00 and i'm thinking of buying it.

pros? cons? it got good reviews at epinions.

By dave. on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 08:58 pm:

test the delay between pressing the shutter and capturing the photo if possible. i've read that kodak dc series can take up to a second. my mavica also has a delay and it's frustrating.

By semillama on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 09:40 am:

I used a Kodak dc120 at work. If the DC240 is similar, don't get it because it won't have a lens cap, only a clear cover that you can't remove and if you scratch the cover, expect to spend a lot of time in your photo editing program editing out the light glare it produces in your images. Otherwise, it's alright. It does have like a half-second delay after you press the shutter button, then you have to wait a couple more seconds for teh picture to display on the screen and the camera to store the image. The dc 240 may be different, though. I think the lens cap thing is pretty vital though, and I speak from experience.

By patrick on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 12:12 pm:

any lense should have a lense cap. You should be able to buy a lense cap for any lense, for any camera. if they have a plastic cover over the front, or rather a filter....it should only be one of two kinds ....a polarizer which will cut glare entirely, allow you to shoot in certain reflected surfaces such as a storefront window and not get a reflection or a skylight filter, which cuts UV rays. A skylight filter is a general all purpose lense filter. I have one on all 8 lenses I own. They are cheap and should you drop your camera, you want the skylight to take a hit rather than the actual glass of your lense. If there is any other kind of filter or cover on the lense...fuck it. They should also be removable so you can clean and dust them.

I can't imagine digital lenses would differ to much than conventional in this regard.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact