semillama's haircut poll

sorabji.com: I need advice: semillama's haircut poll
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:42 am:

OK, I am being majorly indecisive. I need to cut my hair as recent experiences with humidity has demonstrated it doesn't look good. so my tow best options here are

a. total shave: benefits: no maintenance, looks hardcore. costs: have to put sunscreen on head when in field.

b. "caesar" cut (AKA the usual): benefits: i look good, low maintenance. costs: bored with it.

I'd appreciate input here. Bonus question: Lose the facial hair? completely or keep a goatee?

By Paul on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 12:10 pm:

are you male or female? this would help with advice

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

How? either a caesar or total shave. What does it matter and who are you anyway?

Next!

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

Black guys always look good with total shaves; white guys always end up looking like neo-nazi skinheads to me.

By dave. on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

go for the shave. not bald but very close. invest 30 bucks in a good clipper. oster makes good stuff but don't go with the cheapest one.

olympia is infested with skinny, artsy man-children with that julius caesar crap. enough already. i'd rather suck poop through my nose than see any more of that.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:13 pm:

"Black guys always look good with total shaves; white guys always end up looking like neo-nazi skinheads to me."

you're such a racist, doughie.

i hate it when people say that to me. "you kind of look like a neo-nazi" "you look like a racist"

why? because i'm a white guy?

By patrick on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:15 pm:

sem, get the ceasar and head to olympia....with a camera

i say you find another option.

total shaves are lame, unless you're in the army..."looking hardcore" im not sure what that means.

I've had both of the cuts you mention...if the ceasar thingy is old for you....lets look for option 3. there are ways to get short hair other than the two options you mention.

i just got my haircut last friday, short along the sides and back (which is good its 90 degrees here), and left my bangs kinda long. a short version of the hugh grant.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

well nate, some may say, granted its kinda stupid, but if you got a red fluffy wig big as sin, and people said you look like a clown, would you be irritated all the same?

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

long on top , short on sides and back doesn't work for me with my receding hairline. The other option seems to be redneck special as my old barber called it - short buzz on back and sides, and about an inch or so on top. The caesar works with the receding hairline, but eventually it's going to be shaved all the time. My hair is very fine and curly and hard to control, so it needs to be short. I can't stand balding guys who try to hide the fact by having long hair. Especially when they are me.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:45 pm:

A big "whatever" to you, Nate. Not a valley girl "what-Ever", but a bored, apathetic, yawning, monotone "whatever", with the "ever" trailing off and downwards. Not taking the bait today.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:53 pm:

bitch.

"well nate, some may say, granted its kinda stupid, but if you got a red fluffy wig big as sin, and people said you look like a clown, would you be irritated all the same?"

you put that wig on a black guy people would say he looks like a clown, too.

put my haircut and facial hair on a black guy, and no one would say he looks like a neo-nazi skinhead.

i'm in sem's boat. not too many hair options since my forehead decided to grow.

and a bald guy without facial hair looks like a penis.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

"and a bald guy without facial hair looks like a penis."

thats funny dick head.

well sem, i understand, but i jsut took a polaroid, im sending to agatha..demonstrating said haircut...worse case scenario you can see my sparkly, sickly face.

fuck my body aches

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

What, you got the flu?

I think I will just trim down the facial hair. I am strongly leaning to the buzz, but I notice that no women have deigned to weigh in, which worries me slightly. It's not really important what a bunch of guys think as it is how a bunch of gals think. Of course, what I think is the most important, but I appreciate all the input.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:49 pm:

all the girls have ever been with like hair to run their fingers through. not that THATS terribly important, if she likes you, she'll like you hair or no hair.

i think so. yesterday, it was pretty damn hot here, i hadn't really eaten a solid lunch, so my body was already running low. i left work, missed my bus, so i walked home from the subway station, which is not too far (maybe a mile), but in 90 degree weather, up and down hills, with my trick knee and a heavy bag over my shoulder it was kinda brutal. As soon as i got home, i was wiped out and as the evenign wore on, i got worse. i feel better now than i did at 2 am, but i still feel like shit.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:50 pm:

patrick just needs to lay of the LA dirt weed.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

im tellin you man we smoke the good weed. i haven't smoked shit weed in ages. i actually have a better idea what may have caused it...another illicit drug that caught up with me this weekend after a long hiatus.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

wow, that is a really hard choice. both the shave and the ceasar sound yummy.

maybe get the ceasar first and hang with it for a week or two, and if it doesn't suit you, then buzz it off.

and if that doesn't suit you, it grows back into a ceasar rather quickly anyway.

here's what's weird. all the long haired guys i've known have *all* cut off their hair in the past year to year and a half. and i know a lot of [formerly] long-haired men. when i first moved to hawaii 9 years ago, it seemed most men here had long hair, except the local japanese boys of course. now even the surfers are chopped. bizarre.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

mike awesome, too.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 03:09 pm:

That was an improvement. He got rid of a mullet. Now when they shaved Ric Flair's hair...

By sarah on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

meg ryan has a bitchin rock star mullet.

but she'd look amazing no matter what.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

speaking of rock stars. did anyone see the cover of the latest issue of rolling stone? steven tyler and whathisbutt. those guys must be like 70 years old, ugly as all get-out, and still a glam as ever. stick keith richards on there with them and you've got one fucking freaky looking bunch. i don't know whether to be impressed or repulsed. something about that image just does not make any sense.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

oh, and i almost forgot: Keep The Goatee.

By Paul on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

I vote you cut off all your hair..make a monkey tail out of it and call yourself rude biatch.
    <P>
    Next!

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 04:10 pm:

<smite>

By Skooter on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

Well...heres my thoughts on that. Sem, since we have been friends, I have had long hair, short hair, buzz cut, green hair, purple hair, black hair, red hair and now I'm back to my natural red-blond color. Whatever makes you happy, but here's some thoughts...You would look like a brick house if you went all the way down, but you could also go ala Henry Rollins and go for the short buzz "don't fuck with me" cut. Don't care for the Ceaser cut, in fact I have an aversion to anything that has the wod Ceaser in it, and you know why. Presently my hair is growing long and starting to curl and knot up, since I don't comb it. But find some chicks and get their thoughts.

By pez on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

you look like that drefuss guy, right?

get it clipped short and wear a safari hat.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

buzzed short it is!

Thanks!

By Platypus on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

Lose the facial hair.

Now.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 06:29 pm:

you shave much, platypus?

By heather on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:42 pm:

beards and mustaches have to go.
    they just do.

and keep the back of your neck clean. just a good habit to start i think.

By dave. on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 02:10 am:

i hate grooming nazis. when you're ugly like i am, all the grooming in the world won't hide it. it's doomed to fail right out of the gate. fuck it.

By Cat on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 02:36 am:

"i hate it when people say that to me. "you kind of look like a neo-nazi" "you look like a racist"

why? because i'm a white guy?"

Yeah. You got it.

If you were black and a nazi, you would have to kill yourself. Or maybe you could just throw yourself into a concentration camp.

On behalf of my german ancestry, I apologise for the difficulty you have with haircuts, Nate. If only they'd known what a bummer it would be to you, they might have laid off the gas.

By moonit on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:01 am:

I find that the only people who look like neo-nazi's to me are those white guys with bald heads, black jeans, black docs and the white shoelace thing.

Oh yeah - the bad tattoos usually give a good clue too.

the boy has a shaved head. I like it. Its cute. Especially when it starts to get a bit long and tufty, cause its kinda curly and sticks out.
    and it tickles.

By Bobby on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:57 am:

I'm such a cheapskate, I cut my own hair.

In the winter, I let it grow out, wild and mangy.

In the summer, buzz with the clippers, shortest guard, about 1/4". Just completed this spring's first cut.

"You look like..." responses from the public:
    Uncle Fester 4
    Darth Vader without the helmet 1
    Chemo patient 3

By semillama on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:37 am:

now my hair is all 1/4 inch long. I also trimmed down the facial hair short. Positive response from folks in office, but of course the bosses are out of town. I will probably scare the dork boss, but all us archaeologists do anyway, so no big deal.

I look younger now, too.

By Pug on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 10:40 am:

Had I caught onto this thread in time I would have said shave it.....start over at ground zero.....that'll definitely be my move when the dreads go.....
    Aerosmith have got a way to go, yet, before they can even compete w/Keith Richards....they're raving puss-boys in comparison.
    Now, Stiv Bators----he gave Keef a run for his money years before he died----and he died fairly young....had Aerosmith stayed on the drugs they MIGHT be able to compete.....but naahh-----

By heather on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 10:45 am:

i have a weird thing for dreads. i wish i knew why.

a past life thing?

By pez on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 01:38 pm:

could be. do you believe in reincarnation?

By Dougie on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

Do any of the guys here actually like wearing facial hair? When I had a full beard, I couldn't stop itching it (no, it wasn't lice) and when I just had a mustache, it would get in my food, and since I smoke, my mustache would always smell of old smoke, and it just really sucked. I like the ritual of shaving with a razor every morning anyways.

By Nate on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

i hate shaving, so for a long time i shaved once a week. constantly living with the beard in the "itch stage" leads to a certain level of tolerance.

i like having something to tug on. since i ditched the prince albert, that leaves the beard.

By heather on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

maybe you should get it back. well, not my business anyway.

By patrick on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:17 pm:

it would probably take me two months to have anything the resembles a beard. In fact, out of curiosity, i stopped shaving for a few weeks, and yes it did itch, and i couldnt stop playing with it. I looked like was incessantly contemplating things.

I only have to shave once or twice a week. Plus, the stubble is erratic...it only comes up in patches. The only part i shave more than twice a week is the upper lip, as it develops into the "Guito" effect after two days.

By heather on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

that's 'guido' freaky

By Dougie on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

Nothing like a shave, shower, then splashing on the Old Spice in the morning to wake you up.

By patrick on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

feel better heather?

By pez on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

once for drama class we had to give each other facial hair with fake hair and corn syrup. it itches like hell.

By heather on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

yup

i'm just full-a-beans and silly chatty. maybe cause i stayed up all night.

hello patrick

By Spider on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:11 pm:

Keep some hair. Lose the facial hair, unless you are using it to hide something like the words "feed me" tattood above your upper lip.

By Spider on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:13 pm:

That should be "tattooed."

Jesus, I'm so hungry I'm nauseated.

By semillama on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

I like it how it is now. it matches the rest of my head.

By Margret on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

Keith Richards is a werewolf.

By semillama on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

If I were to open a bar, I would call it "Keith Richard's Plasma Emporium".

By sarah on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 04:38 pm:

wow, you're absolutely right... he is a werewolf. perfect.

so here's a pertinent question. if you're all mostly hairless and all, don't you think you need to change your nickname?

By sarah on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 04:41 pm:

speaking of hairless, while i was on hygeine strike, i let the leg hair grow out for a month, so i decided to get my legs waxed for the first time ever last saturday. it hurt like a motherfucker but a week later and i haven't had to shave and the little hairs that are just now starting to grow back are blonde once more and quite a bit softer. the pain of waxing is less than the aggravation of having to shave every other day.

By Dougie on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

I don't mind armpit hair on a woman, although I'd prefer it to be clean shaven, but leg hair on a woman is nasty.

By Nate on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 06:26 pm:

hair is hair. jesus christ. what a weenie.

By dave. on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

hair is dead.

By heather on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 08:12 pm:

i always thought that it was weird how we can touch someone's hair, etc. thinking it's so nice,
    but 'dislocated' hair just freaks anyone out. hair in your food is considered the grossest thing ever.

By Slothrop on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:21 pm:

i don't know about EVER. i always thought it would be pretty gross to see a vagrant fish tid bits from a pool of his own vomit, snacking and smacking with dirty fingertipless gloved hands. but, you're right. hair in food is pretty gross. i'll tell you something though..not too long ago i had this meeting in salinas and not being from there i opted for lunch at the first taqueria i found. about two-thirds in, i bit into a heavy duty staple. i thought, well, it's metal..no biggie. but within minutes i got that grossed out feeling you have brought the spotlight to. so, does that mean that we just don't like stuff in our food? or am i "special"?

luckily, the staple was not horizontal when i bit down.

By pez on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 12:49 am:

just as long as those fast food workers don't mistake a condom for a pickle.

By Nate on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 04:27 am:

someone's having sex in my house and it isn't me.

oooo

right over my head.

By Skooter on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 10:56 am:

Once in high school I bit into a ham sandwhich, which had a hard plastic thing in it. It turned out to be a band aid! You have to wonder what amount of hair, dirt and fingernails you have eaten without even knowing about it.

By semillama on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:29 am:

I don't understand why I should change my nickname just because I got a hair cut. Llamas are shaved for their wool all the time, you know.

By Antigone on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 10:42 pm:

It's shaven yak day!

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 11:17 am:

the vermin gettin it on nate?

By Nate on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

uh, no. don't talk about it anymore. it's dirty.

By Kalli on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 09:41 am:

I'm never eating ham again.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

llama wool? wow. learn something new every day.

By cyst on Tuesday, May 1, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

alpacas, which are closely related to llamas, have very soft and warm wool.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact