For my labratory, should I major in business or sciences?

sorabji.com: I need advice: For my labratory, should I major in business or sciences?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Brisk on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

I have this plan after I get out of college to start a Technology R&D Company, plus Scientific Laboratory. At least that's the shortest way of explaining it. And I don't know whether I should study business and business management type stuff; or science like physics, tech, and math. Or should I do both? Perhaps I haven't used the best words to explain this but I'm going to assume you'll get the general idea. Btw I'm planning on starting and managing this company. What are your thoughts?

By Nate on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

don't start it right after you get out of college.

college won't teach you shit about the real world.

By Gecko on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 07:13 pm:

Yes. Nate is dead on.

If you want to be a success, find someone in the real world who is doing what you would like to do, and then pester them for advice and/or a job. Ask THEM what you should major in. A joint effort of classroom theoretical knowledge, and real world practical knowledge will be your best bet for long term success. No matter what the profession.

I know so many people who were 4.0 students in the classroom, but stepped off campus and were bitchslapped hard by life.

While the era of young dot.com millionaires was exciting, but it was, in the end, no more than a bunch of smart kids tricking the old Wall Street establishment with smoke and mirrors. If you want the company to last, spend some time working for someone before becoming your own boss.

By dave. on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 07:38 pm:

was it exciting? it made me want to puke.

By heather on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 09:09 pm:

go to mit

By Brisk on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 11:42 pm:

MIT is for Skitzos and people with OCD

By Brisk on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 11:44 pm:

Anyways, your advice is acknowledged, but if you had to choose between: A) Business B) Science C) Both. What would you choose?

By agatha on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 12:13 am:

go to a liberal arts college and study whatever you want. do lots of internships at companies that seem to be doing things that you want to do in the future. then, work a shit job for at least a year after you graduate. then, you will be ready to open your company, with lots of financial help from your parents or the bank or somebody rich that you know. good luck!

By dave. on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 12:22 am:

is there a master of business science?

i'd go science and partner up with an mba. you could always minor in business or at least throw in a few economics classes to break up the monotony or merely to laugh at all the business major cadets.

i think it's weird that, with a goal like that, you don't already know what direction to go in.

spend the summer hiking the pacific crest trail or something. clear your mind. then see how you feel about it.

By dave. on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 12:23 am:

don't listen to agatha.

By droopy on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 12:57 am:

i never went to college, so i'm only qualified to suggest that you quit college (or not start, as the case may be) and spend the rest of your life working various low-paying jobs and drinking heavily.

By Liberal Ed on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 01:33 am:

Yes, because I went to college, and the only difference between me and droopy is that I am forced to drink lower quality alcohol due to my monthly student loan payments.

But, should you decide that college is the way for you, here is the best lesson I learned.

Avoid rubbing alcohol. Despite the deceptivly catchy name, it is really not that good to drink.

By Nate on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 03:00 am:

i have no student loan payments because i sold drugs to get through college.

i suggest science. business is boring.

if you go to college to learn how to make money, you have no soul.

By Czarina on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 04:51 am:

Or,perhaps you could take haldol,and head off for MIT.

Nothing beats the voice of experience.Take a shit job,so you can learn the ropes from the inside,at somebody elses expense.

I would suggest science,too.Good hands on experience.

By agatha on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 12:36 pm:

whatever you do, don't listen to dave. i think we're all in agreement here.

dave's advice always amounts to some variation of: "we're all going to die soon anyway, and nobody cares, and there is no solution, so just carry on as you were."

don't listen to dave.

By semillama on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

There is no substitute for real world experience. I would suggest that you major in science and minor in business if you can. Also consider that in the sciences, it's hard to get contracts and whatnot if you have no advanced degrees (masters, Ph.D). What you should do is what I said above, then after you graduate go to work in your chosen field and watch how it's done for a couple years, then go back and get a master's in what looks to be the most in-demand science specialization.

By heather on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

i've just decided that you don't know what you're talking about

so just give up

By heather on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 05:59 pm:

a shit job won't teach you shit. it would just be a waste of time

go hiking instead

By dave. on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 06:46 pm:

see, agatha?

nyaaah!

By heather on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 07:18 pm:

hey. quit that.

if this person cares what any of us think, i'm not going to bet on their success

By sarah on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 11:03 pm:

i have a graduate degree and three years of academic research work experience and one year of real world work experience in a moderately well-paid corporate job, and my suggestion is that you quit college and spend the rest of your life working various low-paying jobs and drinking heavily.

By agatha on Monday, June 4, 2001 - 08:29 pm:

working a shit job teaches you to have a strong work ethic and also to appreciate any slightly less shitty job that you may have in the future. i am the queen of shit jobs, and i can list any number of things that they have taught me.

dave, you're so cute when you are righteous and sullen at the same time! mwah!

By J on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 01:19 am:

I want to tell you,but I don't know jack.

By Brisk on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 10:09 pm:

Hmm I sure have started an interesting string. I thought the "if you go to college to learn how to make money you have no soul" was funny. Here's my thing, lately my goals seem to have been covered with a sheet and I can't see them. I do know that I want to help people in some way, I feel it's time for the planet to evolve in a world of knowledge and exploring and I want to be the tour guide. I seem to have a good capability and a desire to explore anything you want to make possible and trying to make it possible. I am a complex person in my analysis of problems and their solutions, this is the way I think with complexity. I feel this is something I should share with the world, for I do not want to be as Hitler put it "a useless eater". My fuzzy image of a long term goal is a company or corperation (I'm not greatful for greedy capitalism, but people are sheep and to help them you need to economize when needed). This company will research people's technology that they're working on and research it for
    possible strengths, weaknesses, and new possibilities, as well as developing our own technology and researching sciences to make this technology possible. I've kind of started to try and achieve this goal but after reading Chucky Palahniuk books my prosperous view of the world has been diminishing. I'm looking for advice on figuring out what my goals and wants are, if that doesn't work I'm going to start an anarchistic cult-like underground organization to try and trick the useless eating sheep into either A) Becoming not so useless anymore B) Killing Themselves or C) Figuring out what the hell they want in life and fullfilling it and repeating. There will be no neutral except for those tricking. Comments? Cookies and Sugarless Kool-Aid are in the kitchen.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 10:49 pm:

grape kool-aid, o' psycho cult leading friend?

By dave. on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 10:55 pm:

my comment: you're a fascist megalomaniac and a lousy one at that. of all the historical figures you could have quoted to illustrate your point, you choose hitler. that strikes me as immature as it would be to invoke satan as your example. don't bother refuting or defending your fascination and your identification with naughty figureheads, it doesn't matter. there's a reason things are the way they are: people like it like this. if you want to change the world, blow it up.

i still recommend hiking this summer. go out and see what has been for millennia. see what is a constant, what exists regardless of you and me and everyone else. understand that incredibly complex and beautiful and IMPORTANT things occur constantly whether you are there to observe/control them or not.

if you aren't able to do this, try getting laid.

By Gecko on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 11:21 pm:

Jesus Dave!

Someone apparently woke up on the wrong side of the cage this morning.

Brisk has an interesting, albeit possibly naive idea for what he wants to do with his life. That is hell of a lot more than I can say for myself when I was jumping into college. I burned through five majors before settling on one to graduate with. And here I am, five years out of college, and I just recently started a company that does very little with the degree I ended up earning.

While I agree wholeheartedly that there is much more to an education than simple classroom learning, and that taking time to hike is a grand idea, giving up on life pursuits is not.

Go out and learn all you can, both in the classroom and out, find something you are passionate about and do it. Too many people, (i.e. Dave) seem to be stuck doing things they detest because they lack the intestinal fortitude to step off the rat race to make the change. They choose to complain about their station in life rather than making real effort to improve it.

If you think that this technological R&D job is something that will keep you excited and passionate about what you are doing, then do whatever you can to make it happen.

Feeling like a cheesy commencement speaker, I will step off my soapbox now....

By dave. on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 11:35 pm:

i like cheese.

come here so i can fart on your head.

By agatha on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 11:50 pm:

wow, dave. he nailed you.

By dave. on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:10 am:

come here and kiss my ass, agatha. i'll quit my job and enroll in some classes. you handle the bills. we'll see how quickly it all falls apart.

that's the problem with you airheads: when you have someone like me to handle the details, it's pretty easy to talk your self-fulfillment crap.

yeah, he nailed me. so what. an absolute buffoon could have nailed me on that.

By dave. on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:22 am:

and what the hell do you mean, "intestinal fortitude"? intestines have nothing to do with any of this. stop copping idiomatic expressions just because you've heard them used by others in similar contexts who copped them from others, ad nauseum. stop using dead phrases that mean nothing, involve no thought, convey empty imagery, and promote an unwarranted overinflation of self.

anyone seen my meds? me either.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:40 am:

i'm not getting into the dave/agatha exchange. but this:

"i still recommend hiking this summer. go out and see what has been for millennia. see what is a constant, what exists regardless of you and me and everyone else. understand that incredibly complex and beautiful and IMPORTANT things occur constantly whether you are there to observe/control them or not."

that's beautiful, dave. it's too bad everyone stopped after the first paragraph.

By Brisk on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 01:36 am:

I don't stand up for Hitler or people they are not important I stick up for notions, concepts, and ideas though, he was a potential positive revolutionary that learned the wrong lessons first. At least he wasn't a hypocrite though. The term "useless eater" that Hitler always used though came to mind while writing it. I wasn't writing to impress anyone I was looking for an answer, which after your arrogant response you failed to present. Their are two main choices in life my friend, they are to be constructive or destructive. Being constructive brings you a head making you control your surroundings and yourself not allowing them to control you. Destructive only brings you back to where you were before. I suggest you re-examine yourself and ask yourself whether it's time to go pick up some cyanide pills or to be more constructive in your actions.

By Brisk on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 01:39 am:

Btw, the rest of you have been quite helpful in helping me think about this. And it's "Constructive brings you *ahead*" not a head, but I suppose it brings you that too. A head you can trust... your own.

By Brisk on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 01:57 am:

Hmm, part of that was true. Dave, you're right I am a lousy megalomaniac. I need to work on that. That was just a practice. I do stick by my construct & destructive words though.

By dave. on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 02:11 am:

well, whatever. you'll likely fit in well with the lesser-evolved, current-state humanoids that you no doubt hope to attract. go forth and conquer. i don't expect you to understand (why should you?) anything else.

By Antigone on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 03:48 am:

Brisk, don't advise others on grammar and/or spelling. Please.

Yes, there are two main choices in life: 1) How to get your RDA of dietary fiber, and 2) whether to fart when socially convenient or physically necessary.

On another note, I finally had garlic ice cream yesterday. I might have it tomorrow, too.

And Hitler was bound to come up. It's Goodwin's Law.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

you are a piece of work dave.

By dave. on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:31 pm:

thanks, dude.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:49 pm:

what a piece of work is a dave! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express in admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god!

9 out of ten useless eating sheep prefer dave to the other leading brand.

By droop on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

(and admirable. i was in a passion.)

By agatha on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

Dave, let's do it. Call it a social experiment.

And you're right, I am an airhead.

Love you.

By dave. on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 01:00 pm:

love you.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

i love you too

By semillama on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

Aww.

By agatha on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

let's hug.

By Gecko on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 04:08 pm:

Dave, you're the greatest thing since earlier this morning when I learned that Poison and Warrant will be playing together at my great state fair.

(I didn't want to get left out of the sarcstic group hug)

By dave. on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:04 am:

geck, that wasn't sarcastic.

By Czarina on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 09:54 am:

Dave is my hero.I hold him in the highest esteem.
    You see,I too,am a cynic.

On the grander scale of time,we are merely a grain of sand,very quickly eroding into "nothingness".

He is absolutely right.GET OUT AND ASSIMILATE NATURE.There you will find truth,and honesty.There you will find the truths of our miserable existence.Its all there,whats come before,what will come to pass.There you will find the constants.

I hold absolutely no hope for mankind.
    And I will give you an example:

If the world were to end,[as we know it,from what ever reason],and there were only 2 people left surviving,we'll say you,Brisk,and me.And we decide to divide the world in half,each of us taking control of our respective sectors.

Well,human nature being what it is,it wouldn't take long for me to start thinking,"you know,that Brisk has got better lakes than I do,as a matter of fact,he/she has all the good ones!"

And it wouldn't be long before Brisk started thinking,"Damn,that Czarina's got all the good timber.She did that on purpose!"

Laugh if you will.But this is human nature.

And,unfortunately,always has been.We will ultimately orchistrate our own degrading demise.

Refering back to Darwins most simple of concepts,natural selection.Well,those most adaptable to a given environment,will go forth and multiply[sorry,think I might have slipped a little bible quote in here,but it serves the purpose].But if that species has FUCKED UP that environment,well,its doubtful that much productive reproduction will transpire.

By semillama on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:08 am:

The very first thing it says on the cover of Subgenius Pamphlet #1 is "The world ends Tomorrow and you MAY DIE!!" If you think about this phrase, it means a few things. One, The World ends TOMORROW. Not today. And it's always today. Two, So, the world ends tomorrow, and hell, YOU WILL DIE, that's the only one of "Bob's" predictions that is guaranteed to come true. So, you should either live your life like the world ends tomorrow, or conversely, you should life every day like there IS no tomorrow and you have all the time in the world (i.e.: LIVE IT UP or SLACK OFF). Three, Maybe the world won't end tomorrow. Well, maybe it will just for YOU.

By dave. on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 08:14 pm:

and here i was just trying to be a prick. now i'm a hero? 91% of what i say is dramatic bullshit designed to get a reaction out of patrick.

do any of you ever glare at or rudely ignore people you don't know but see every day if they nod at you or smile or say "hi" to you as you pass them in a hall?

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 09:37 pm:

i try not to. sometimes it happens.

i've been told i can look mean.

do any of you ever stare at people you don't know until they give you a disgusted look?

By dave. on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:29 pm:

i would but i get the disgusted look right away

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:40 pm:

doesn't matter. it's all about the disgusted look.

it's not sex, man. it doesn't matter when you get the nut.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact