More of a general rambling...

sorabji.com: I need advice: More of a general rambling...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kiahta on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 12:56 am:

I sit facing this screen after a lot of dangerous self-exploration of the mental kind. I have come to the general conclusion that I am the type of person that would absolutely love to believe a lie. I wish that I just had the opportunity to do so. It's a defeating prospect to find that you you wish you were part of the people who could be fooled all of the time. Then it would not be necessary to face things you know to be true, but haven't yet verbalized. As if, by voicing something, it becomes more concrete... therefore, by *not* voicing it, it does not exist. Ignore it and it will go away. If only.

By dave. on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:15 am:

are you oswald's "kiota"?

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:16 am:

who wouldn't want to believe in a lie? ignorance is bliss, didn't they say?

and the trauma received by trying not to believe in the lies. it is so much easier when you have no concept of what might not be truth. when there is no difference between believing in one thing or another. suck it all up.

but when you know lies exist, you cannot rest for a minute. what if you are believing a lie? perhaps it would be better to assume anything good is a lie? after all, the truth is dark and evil and it always hurts.

or maybe that is a lie? maybe that is a way to get overthinkers such as yourself to self destruct? to implode on their own philosophical mutterings?

perhaps you are like me and sit at home in the comfy chair wondering if you smoke too much pot. wondering if you are doing yourself damage by seeking the truth? bolstering yourself on the knowledge that you are somewhat better for undergoing the trials and discomfort of finding the truth? wishing you could be a plebian for just a day, so that your brain could rest in its eternal search for the demonic grail of absolute?

denial is such an easy illusion to live within. you obviously see it in so many people. you see their glassy eyes and their occasional smiles and assume that they wander through their years in relative oblivion. oblivion but bliss. idyllic ignorance.

and by recognizing this in others, you feel, somehow, that denial does not grip you.

but denial is a common vein throughout all humanity. denial, the real truth?

if you assume you don't see the truth any better than anyone else, you might realize that it is not your superior intellect, your questing consciousness, your well-examined self, that causes this pain.

no, you are as ignorant as the rest.

what causes you pain is the choice to be in pain.

your ego is your worst enemy. your mind.

you focus poorly.

By dave. on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:31 am:

i'd rather be a plebian.

robert anton wilson calls it chapel perilous.

chapel perilous kicks my ass.

By crimson on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:35 am:

this isn't oswald's keota. i can tell you that much.

"the truth is silly putty." --paul krassner

By Trace on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 08:45 am:

Were did you all study all of this? I feel uneducated, and I am considered fairly intelligent by most of my colleagues.

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 09:10 am:

Main Entry: au·to·di·dact
    Pronunciation: "o-tO-'dI-"dakt, -dI-', -d&-'
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Greek autodidaktos self-taught, from aut- + didaktos taught, from didaskein to teach
    Date: 1748
    : a self-taught person
    - au·to·di·dac·tic /-dI-'dak-tik, -d&-/ adjective

By Czarina on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:00 am:

hubris

By semillama on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:14 am:

Kiahta: Pull the wool over your own eyes. Relax in the comfort of your own delusions. Fuck'em if they can't take a joke. Take off your pants and roll around in your mistakes. Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal. and finally, Don't just eat a hamburger, eat the hell out of it.

Follow these simple precepts and you'll be fine. (side note: Certain of the above precepts apply to certain of the above posts, including my own.)

As the local ordained minister, feel free to email me with any more of these problems.

By Czarina on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:27 am:

amen

By Trace on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:57 am:

glory be.

By Kiahta on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:06 am:

I am not under the illusion that I am immune to all forms of deceit, I just wish there was a possibility I could ignore them at will. Flip a switch and the bliss begins... flip it back and the truth is revealed, good or bad. Imagine what the world could be like if we could all make the conscious decision to be happy, and ignore that which would make us unhappy. A world full of people that smile because they feel good, laugh at nothing in particular, and never say things to harm one another. A nice thought.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:22 am:

i am a person who smiles because he feels good and laughs at nothing in particular. often.

and i am working at not harming people.

and i'm pretty sure i see the truth a lot more clearly than you.

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:49 am:

There is a switch. You just have to find it.

I laugh at everything. I mean that on both the concept and the detail levels.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:53 am:

i want to be god too.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:56 am:

we all are god, patrick. trust me.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 12:38 pm:

yeah

i know most of you could careless about sports, think its COOL to dis on sports etc etc are cynics and what not. But if you haven't noticed, some of the best god damn hockey is being played lately. Though the LA Kings got bumped and i hate Colorado and not a NJ fan, both teams involved with the current Stanley cup, the drama couldnt be any better. Grace, coordination and skill of this level in a tgeam sport don't get much higher.

Im TOTALLY looking forward to going home today and watching game 6. "The Cup is in the Bldg" as they say.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

Yeah, the series has been great. Looking forward to seeing NJ clinch tonight.

How about that Philly/LA game last night? Was Iverson incredible or what??? Jeez, what is that guy, six foot nothing, playing in a forest of animated redwoods. I figured when OT started, LA would pull its usual juggernaut and roll all over Philly, but damn if the 6ers didn't pull it off! I went to bed a happy man.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

i just find it ridiculous that your average person knows more about some games that mean nothing than what's going on in the world.

it's all about shifting attention. occupying the common mind.

it worked for rome. it works for the US.

By Kiahta on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

I don't know about hockey, but I have to admit I am one of those sad many that know more about a game than what's going on in the rest of the world. But what is wrong with that? Cheesy as it sounds, there are a lot of things you learn in a sport that help you with the world at large. Admittedly, it can go too far. But the basic idea of a sport is competition, (mostly) fair play, teamwork, and thinking. Regardless of what some people may have you believe, *every* sport has some kind of strategy involved... even if it's not totally obvious. They also let you blow off steam. If it makes me terrible to enjoy sports, then I'll gladly take that title.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

whats new nate. some people have mtv, some have sports, some can have both.

dougie i watched about the last 10 seconds of that game.

i watched fascinating documentary on the Roman aquaducts the other night. All these researchers restored a Roman bath in Turkey, and then all took a bath in it.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

nothing's new, patrick. that's what i'm saying.

rome being old. the US being current. nothing's new.

By semillama on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:42 pm:

I know jack-all about what's going on in sports today.

I do know that I really like the Gorrilaz video, "Clint Eastwood", a whole lot.

By semillama on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

I just mispelled "Gorillaz." Poop. And I even just read "Congo."

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:49 pm:

yeah that was a pretty dumb knee jerk question.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:01 pm:

So Nate, you've never seen the beauty in a well-turned play, whether it be on ice, hardwood, grass or 'turf, often as delicate and precise as a ballet move and yet usually as powerful and brutal as a battering ram? Ooh, I just waxed poetic there, better go clean myself up.

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:03 pm:

Sports bore the almighty fuck out of me. Change the subject before I hurt one of you.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

see....thats what i mean.

i recognize that, because not long ago i was known to say thge same things, but you know, once i sat down and paid a miniscule amount of attention, i realized SOME..not all, but SOME sports are quite fascinating.

playing 11 years of soccer, hockey is very similar...strategies and what not. Speed, pace...etc we admire people for their physical beauty. why can we admire them for their physical endurance and strenght. Is it the media blitzkreig that seperates an Olympic athlete from a Minnesota Viking?

Spider are you saying should we ever meet and i say "Hey, lets go bowling", are you gonna say "sports bore me". You find pool boring? swimming? kickball? darts? all of these other not so popularized games. It easy to scapegoat football or the other major sports because we are bombarded by the media with them.

I dont know how someone as smart as you spider can say that. Im a dummy and it took me a few more years to realize i was being judgmental.

I dont buy sports products, nor drink sports drinks beczzause my "heros" do. I don't make sports figures moral leaders in my personal life. Ionly own one sports shirt, that ive had even before i cared about sports and thats a NY Yankees shirt, just because the logo is so damn American and classic.

There is some sort of intellectual snobbery that comes with people who say sports are a bore. Hockey is chess on ice. I can speak of this because i watch a lot of it. Don't give me the "bunch of goons beating the shit out of each other etc etc." line. Thats as about as dumb as saying NASCAR is like watching the same 20 rednecks go in circles...while it made for a great george carlin line, the truth is, there is tremendous thought and strategy that goes into a 500 mile/lap car race. Tremendous strategy. Onthe fly calculations, mathmatics and so on.

Im still looking forward to watching hockey this afternoon.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

what purpose does sports serve? not playing sports, but watching sports. following sports. what does that achieve in your life?

there is a world of difference between going bowling and watching bowling (or any other sport.) if you can't understand that, then maybe that's why you don't understand why the intellectuals are bored by sporting events.

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

By sports I mean anything involving teams competing in formal competition. Serious competition with serious rules. with results that would be published in a newspaper. I'm totally uninterested.

I'd go bowling with you, Patrick, or play soccer with you and your friends. But I won't join the company softball team, and I won't endure being regaled by tales of past prowess on one's high school basketball team. Snooze.

NASCAR racing started with moonshiners trying to outrace the cops in Georgia. The history of sports can be interesting, I'll grant you that.

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

I agree with Nate, too.

One other thing: I love learning about anything I don't know. Astrophysics, Somalian history in the 13th century, pearl scripts for remote patron authentication, the anatomical development of fetal bats...the only exception to this is professional sports. I honestly can't bear to listen to anyone talk about this.

I was kidding about you guys having to knock it off, though. You can talk about whatever you'd like.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

drama nate. competition can be exciting. Like movies or books, you can learn to rout for certain individuals, drama. Competition can be exciting.

I dont understand that first paragraph spider. So rules bother you, competition bothers you and being printed in a newspaper bother you? Could it not be printed in a paper and be ok? Im tryign to figure out what any of that has to do with the other?

I don't know, I LIKE competition. I think it a great peaceful way to interact with other humans. I don't think the desire for competition is any indicator of intelligence either. What people do while being competitive other than the competition itself can be.

i agree on the difference watching and playing some sports....definitely. I'll glance at car racing, but in general the whole race is too long, I'll watch a hockey game beginning to end. Baseball....ehh i'll keep the world series on in the background. Basketball, who cares...im dont like the sport. Football....eh, again, background. Since i dont have cable, i dont get many other sports, and its no big deal.

But to say interest in sports is an indicator of intellect i think is bunk.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

for the most part spider im the same way, i don't care about the sports page as much as I do the entertainment section. And I too would rather hear about fetal bats than Laker team history.

i think perhaps we are confusing fanatacism with being an admirer of a sport. Id like to think Im an admirer of a few sports. I know things about the teams, and players because during a competition they rant stats and figures at you and I'll remark to someone around the office about the last game and what not....its good for small talk.

er anyway this is not really important.

By droopy on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

the gread trinidadian writer and anti-colonialist c.l.r. james said that cricket (a game brought into his country by british encroachment and which is so excruciatingly boring that no country that calls it a sport has any right to complain about american football) "was not so much a game or a sport as a version of the ballet and the theater, enacted over considerable time and space and somehow inextricable from the culture."

george carlin makes a similar argument in his bit about how football should be the american pasttime: the point of football is to invade the other guy's territory and take their land. the point of baseball is to go home.

i learned to like sports in hospitals where i had to spend 24/7 in bed with not much else to do. and where you watch team sports not as part of a rabid collective, but just to watch a group working as a team toward a goal. sarah vowell did a piece on the necessity of tv in hospitals, so i am not ashamed.

go sixers!

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

I wasn't claiming it was an indication of intellect.

My point in my first paragraph was that I reject the idea that sports are worth making a big deal about. Any conversation that is begun under the premise that sports are important is one I'm not interested in participating in. Neither of those sentences is grammatically correct, but you know what I mean.

No, I don't really like competition, either. Unless we're talking about Trivial Pursuit. Because although I will beat you every time, the thrill is never gone.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

i mean, 5 guys and one goalie, on ice, with an item the size of your palm whizzing 90mph to and fro, trying to make it inbetween a 4ft x 4ft goal, using wooden sticks is pretty damn impressive. when you factor in the rules, and the strategies of line ups (i.e. a line of offense paired to the line of defense) it can be pretty damn impressive.

Car racing in general, factoring in track conditions, heat, distance, grade, concrete, asphalt PLUS your pit crew efficacy, modifying your tire pressure, gauging when to take a pit stop etc. etc. there is a lot of shit to be considered when winning a car race. its so much more than driver...liek droop says, team.

george carlin had a bunch of funny bits on sports. improving baseball with randomly placed land mines in the outfield was one, and the idea of leaving the injured on the football field was another.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:29 pm:

well yeah spider, i woudl want to talk with youa bout hockey either, you'd have nothing offer.

are we talking about sports themselves or talking about the sports.

whats the difference between Trivial Pursuit or a spelling bee and say...bowling or baseball?

eh....again, should just go smoke or something. its not that important.

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:36 pm:

Yes, look at me making a big deal out of something that's not a big deal.

I should just get back to work. Gawd.

Ha! I'm sitting with my feet crossed at the ankles, and the buckles on my shoes just locked together and I couldn't pull my feet apart! That's the most excitement I've had all day.

By dave. on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:36 pm:

they: how 'bout them mariners?

me: how 'bout this pencil in your eye?

By cyst on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 03:57 pm:

I love mariners games.

I love that during mariners home games I can have the gym to myself. and after that I can get one of the great window seats at the duchess because they're not within sight of the tv sets. and every 20 minutes I can yell "wooooo!" really loud and fit right in.

the only spectator sports events I haven't found stultifyingly boring were the ones where I got to drink beer and eat hot dogs while people I knew ran around on the field AND the ones I watched on tv or live after placing a paramutuel bet.

last summer I got so bored during the third inning of a mariners game, after having sketched the stadium and commented on the crowd and enjoyed the sunshine, that I told my poor companion, "I'm going to take a walk and don't be surprised if I don't come back." I didn't have any money on me, so I spent an hour walking uphill in the hot sun, but still it was better than watching a baseball game.

By sarah on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 04:37 pm:

better for your ass, too.

By Gecko on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

Put me in the outfield in the metrodome with a beer and a dome dog wathching my under paid Minnesota Twins any day over a night at the opera.

I don't care what conclusions people care to jump to about my lack of upbringing and education for this post. Is it proof of the dumbing down of America? Perhaps. Is it a sign that I am truly the brother of Cletus, the slack jawed yokel? Maybe.

I just know that I personally find more artistry in the way that Christian Guzman turns a double play, than I do in seeing Jose Carreras in Carmen.

If this trait makes me less of an educated being in the eyes of anyone here, then I am so very glad that I said it.

P.s. GO AV'S!

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

though id like to see the Avs win tonight...so i can see one more game...before hanging on for 4 months for the season to restart, in the end I'd like see NJ get the Cup again. I consdier the fact Ray Borque is 40 years old, 22 seasons in the NHL and has never won a cup is heart-bleeding, and indeed Patrick Roy has played some of the most amazing goal ever...BUT i just don't like the Avs. Maybe im harboring angst because they knocked out the Kings, or maybe its because they are THE best statistically.

indeed beer and peanuts make going to a baseball game more enjoyable, although Im usually at a game on someone elses dime, so that makes it better as well.

By Gecko on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 06:00 pm:

Yes. Free tix's are nice.

I snuck into the Final Four this year. After trying in vain to find a good price on scalpers row, my buddies and I stumbled across a door in the outer concourse that had been propped open to let the smoke created by the halftime smokers out. So, I figured, smoke out, Gecko in.

My rooting interest in the Av's is 85 percent Borque driven. He's an old school player whose reputation has been earned entirely on the ice, and in the day and age where guys like Randy Moss, Alex Rodriguez and Shaq spend more time on their personal image as they do on their game, I see Borque as a throwback to a better time in sports. While I would have preferred to see him win it all or retire with the B on his chest, I will settle for this.

And if my Wild can't play in the finals, I guess I gotta root for someone.

Here's to a Kings - Wild finals next year....

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

im just talking to myself now....

shit like this
    or
    this

and most of all, THIS!.

bear in mind the fucker is on ice skates, bear in mind he has about 30-40 lbs of pads and gear on, and he's doing a near perfect split. This shot didnt go in. I just don't know how anyone can not find this stuff impressive. This...nate best describes why I watch some sports.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

yeah....i truly respect that about Borque. But his team mates Sakic and Forsberg are reasons why I don't like the Avs. They take dives at the slightest touch. The Kings sent Forsberg to the hospital after game 7 and almost put Joe out for the remainder of the play offs.

The reality of the Wild is similar to that of the of my home team Atlanta Thrashers. They need at least 5 years and some luck.

The Kings made a lot of new fans this year with all the drama during the playoffs or at least spurred fans of the Gretzky era Kings. For those in LA who don't care about basketball, its nice to have a team to pull for.

By Gecko on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

I only got the chance to see Gretzky play in person one time. It was at the Forum, on New Year's eve 1991. In a game against Vancouver, he did something few people will ever say they were able to see. I got to see him not only participate on the outskirts of a fight, but also get ejected from the game for argunig the call.

Cool stuff.

By wisper on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 06:57 pm:

i watch Iron Chef.

That's my only "sport".

And i watch WWF wrestling. There, i admited it. It's fun. And really, just a weekly drama production. Not sport at all. I don't know why i'm still typing this. Blah.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

Yeah dave, I agree with you:
    they: how 'bout them mariners?
    me: how 'bout this pencil in your eye?
    they: how 'bout them yankees?
    me: yeah man, whadda frickin' team huh...?

I hate how the network mentions about Ray Bourque not winning a cup every chance they get -- they fucking beat it into the ground. He's a great player and all, but if I hear about it on ABC one more time I'm going fucking throw the tv out the window.

Anywho, me and my common mind will be glued to the tube rooting for the Devils to win the cup, all the while drinking Buds, smoking Marlys, and eating whatever junk food I have lying around, serving absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Have fun with your introspection tonight, Nate.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 07:49 pm:

yeah its not our fault he picked bad teams to play for in 22 years.

no seriously, if he played for anyone other than the Avs id buy it.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 09:44 pm:

i'm not going for introspection tonight. i'm going to have sushi with antigone and then go home and go to bed.

extrospection. i'll talk to her, too. because he is gone. she'll be able to let her guard down, once again.

i'm really not as hard on sports as i sound.

i'm just saddened knowing that there are more people who can quote jack 'the bat boy' suckhard's RBI's in 1958 than know who their reps in congress are.

By Gecko on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:30 pm:

In my own defense, I know each of the senators from my state personally, AND I like baseball.

The demise of participation in the political process is a lamentable occurance, but, I don't necessarally blame young (or old) people for walking away. Politics has changed. it is no longer a representative form of government. Back in the day, politicians were part time employees, who had real jobs, and lived in communities with real people. Now, politics is a profession, and the disconnect is widening by the year. Our state has one rep who does not own property in the state. He files each year using his mother's address, and he lives in Virginia. The people all know it, but he has such seniority, no one would ever waste the money to challange him.

I wish I knew what it would take to reengage the American populus in the process.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have the good fortune to work in the polical arena.

By Gecko on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:37 pm:

oops.... Dangling left over sentence syndrome.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:41 pm:

>Anyone have any ideas?

kill sports.

kill the tv.

By dave. on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 12:36 am:

the political process is something i'm very interested in. i don't vote and here's why:

1) people don't care

2) my 1 personal vote doesn't matter

3) anyone who manages to get elected is a liar

4) elected officials couldn't possibly represent me

5) because of 1 - 4, i get no satisfaction.

government does not represent people.

nate, it's probably too late but hug antigone for me.

By Nate on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:06 am:

it is too late. he's one tall motherfucker.

By Antigone on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:11 am:

I ain't tall. Nate is short.

And, I wouldn't have hugged him anyway. He was staring at my ass all night. It was freaking me out.

By dave. on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:16 am:

i hope you 2 wore a condom. hiv is once again on the rise these days.

By Antigone on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:23 am:

I'm sure I'll die first from all the blowfish toxin I ate tonight.

By Bored_with_this_crap_fetidbeaver on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 04:20 am:

How about this for a new sport. Next time someone states, "How about them _________?" The rest of us would be allowed to hunt them down, cut off their cock and feed it to them.

By J on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 09:17 am:

I won first prize on a radio contest,4 tickets to Bank One Ball Park to see the diamondbacks ,I asked for the second prize instead,2 tickets to see Elvis Costello,the D.J. said I was crazy,I told him not to tell my husband.I love baseball though,and love going to spring training games,Sammy Sousa is my man,I went to a ball game at BOB and it wasn't natural.I like basketball too.

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 11:24 am:

you know whats even more bothersome...

waiting on the bus this am...right by the highschool...clearly the last day of school by the way them kiddies are scurring about. I start to notice they all have these gift bag like things. Looking closer, I see its Disney...thenm I start to seem more and more Disney garb. Ballons with mouse heads, big slurrrrpee cups and straws and so on.

Id like to make a formal request that Disney, Coke, Verizon and so on stay out of our public schools. I don't want their money or their goods hawked on the kids.

can you help me with that request Dave? Dave?

oh and cyst, i didnt see a listing for your BFs band this past week. Did they cancel?

By cyst on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

they're not playing l.a. till the 15th. I'll send you the details.

the mariners had the night off yesterday, so I got to see a baseball friend.

By sarah on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

J, you did the right thing. god bless you.

By Dougie on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

For some reason I thought Antigone was in the South somewhere -- or is he out visiting CA? You probably had a much better time than me -- the game was a pisser last night.

By Ted Kennedy on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

errr ahhh...Sammy Souser and uh....Mike Macguire

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:26 pm:

yeah that sucked. NJ completely sucked ass

in other news. I wish there was a webcam of the area right outside my office. its complete pandamonium. Its the last day of school, there are about 1000 kiddies lined up to see Atlantis at the (recently Disney aquired) El Capitan theater. PLUS they are giving a star to Don Francisco...so the street is blocked off and there an extra 2000 people out in the 1 block area, on top of the usual tourists and what not.

fucking chaos

By semillama on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

Who is Don Franscico?

Is anyone aware of any muppets who have stars?

By Nate on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

Don Francisco. he makes tequila.

By cyst on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

I heard some plant disease was killing a lot of the tequila cactuses (agave?) in mexico these days. I heard there would soon be a tequila shortage.

maybe that's why the margaritas were weak last night.

By Nate on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

jesus christ. i hope you're wrong.

blue agave, my friend my friend.

By J on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 04:49 pm:

I heard that too.

By Dougie on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

Hope it doesn't also effect production of Tequiza!

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

please tell me you dont drink that shit

By Czarina on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

Please say it isn't so.Please.

By Dougie on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 05:44 pm:

Yeah, I've had it a couple of times. It really ain't that bad. It ain't my drink of choice though. Right now, I'm having a Stroh's (I'll swill anything if it's on sale). BUT, you'll be happy to know, I've never had a Zima.

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

Stroh's ???

i didnt know they still made that shit.

last night i drank Red Stripe while watching hockey.

By Nate on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:04 pm:

tequiza tastes like fruit loops.

nasty ass shit.

By Dougie on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

Yeah, an 18 pack is $6.00 at my grocery store lately. I remember it fondly because my dad used to drink it. He'd give us sips when we were kids -- we thought that was the greatest thing in the world. That was back when they were steel cans and you'd use a can opener on them. The can used to have "Stroh's" spelled out in a beautiful script and the cans were gold and white. Now "Stroh's" is spelled out in block letters, and it's a blue can. He also used to drink Weidemann's and Hudepohl (Cincinnati beers) (I grew up in Ohio), Schlitz, and *gag* Iron City beer.

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

does your head hurt alot when you wake up?

By moonit on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

I bought TAB from the South African section of our supermarket last night. Actual TAB. Its been years and I bet it tastes like shit.

By wisper on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:36 pm:

the mexican bars around here have almost doubled the tequila prices. The crops ARE bad, and there is a shortage, indeed. The large signs told me so.
    The one and only time i ever got truly fucked-up drunk was off tequila. Good time. Nearly died the next day though. It didn't hit me till late that afternoon. I was on the floor screaming and holding my head. Someone decided that was the time to take a pic of me.
    Bastards.

By Nate on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

i've gotten truly fucked up drunk off tequila more times than i can count.

more times than i can remember.

tequila.

mm.

i found a bottle of hornitos in my liquor cabinet last time i poked through it. maybe tonight is a tequila night.

hmm

maybe tomorrow night.

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:43 pm:

hey wisper, check out the new issue of nerve...it has semi naked pics of your (hairy) boy Rufus and some trampy red head.

actually wait....HA!!! you cant get Nerve mag in Canada!!

your customs people are royally uptight.

By Dougie on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 06:48 pm:

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, Patrick.

Damn, Tab? That's a blast from the past.

Yeah, tequila's not something to be trifled with. I usually get together with the crew from the place I used to work at once a month, and the evening usually ends with many tequila shots. I dread the following mornings.

By Czarina on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

Oh Dougie,my response wasn't to your Tequiza consumption![although,admittedly,this does add a whole new facet to your character,that I'de never considered].

My response was to the sheer horror of a tequilla shortage!

J and I could tell some tequilla tales!Wed night was 25 cents a shot night,at this place we used to go to in Tempe.

There was this one time I remember,and J was introduced to this guy,and well,she went to shake his hand,and say,"Hi,nice to meet ya",but it er,wasn't his hand she shook.I can't tell you how many times we crawled out of that bar.

Maybe its good I don't consume too much tequilla these days.

By sarah on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 02:48 am:

stroh's is from detroit. antigone lives in dallas.

By sarah on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 06:12 am:

well crap. i'm drunk (red wine -> hot cocoa and brandy -> gin and tonics) and tired and everything i own is in my carport with a price tag on it. tomorrow morning i get to sell anything and everything previously associated with me, my life, my identiy - nearly every single thing a hang-me-down, or something I picked up at Good Will or a random garage sale. What an odd feeling, to see the lump sum of 8.5 years sitting in piles in your garage, waiting for strangers to come and carry it away to a new life.

By agatha on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 01:47 pm:

junk relocation projects, dave likes to call them. it will be liberating, sarah.

i think i've mentioned this before, but my best friend from high school professed her love to me after an evening tequila binge, and i woke up the next morning with several coasters with random italian men's names and numbers on them. bad bad tequila.

By semillama on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 04:07 pm:

I have no tequila stories, simply because I drink tequila very rarely and because teh act of drinking tequila insures that I will not remember anything that happened. I have evil rum stories though.

By Antigone on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

I was visiting California to go to the JavaOne
    programming convention. I work in Birmingham. I
    live in Dallas. I wear shirts and khakis from
    Structure. My vitamins come from Eckerd's.

I I I I My.

Me, goddammit!

By moonit on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 08:15 pm:

The first night Jules and I ever drank homemade margaritias togtether she reckons the last thing she remembers is me saying 'one nip of tequilla to that? That can't be right'.

I can vaguely remember her dancing in a club with those little umbrellas all through her hair.

By dave. on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 11:19 pm:

i'm much like semillama in regards to tequila. much pain and suffering. much (thankfully) memory loss.

no desire to do it again.

By wisper on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

i'm wearing a hospital band.
    and cranberry juice.
    and a shitload of antibiotics.

today i am truly a woman, for i have my first urine infection. A nasty one at that. Nasty enough for me to drive to the hospital at 4am. A stunning end to a stunning week, and the day isn't even over yet.

By wisper on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

and i just posted that in the wrong topic thread.
    fucking brilliant.

lol
    *sob*

please just make it stop

By wisper on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

however, i can say that some tequila would be nice right about now, for the pain and all.

mmmmm.

By Czarina on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 04:55 pm:

Oh Wisper,I'm sorry.I know how bad that hurts.
    But the medicine should kick in soon,and give you some relief.

Drink LOTS of fluids,and especially your cranberry juice.Try to sleep,and within a few hours the meds should kick in,and you'll start feeling better.

By Cat on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 06:33 pm:

And remember, urinary tract infections are just a way of God paying us back for the multiple orgasm thing. And people say He's a woman. Sheesh.

By wisper on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 12:30 pm:

thanks.
    and i will admit Cat that the situation which caused me to get this was almost worth it.
    almost.
    But certainly not worth hearing my aging mother explain it that way. Eeeegh. "this probably means that you've been having too much......FUN, if you know what i mean"
    I don't think that's the reason, anyway.
    But fun IS fun.
    What the hell kind of bullshit payback is this?
    Eeeeeeeegh.
    The hospital gave me two huge pills on my way out the door, straight Penicillin. That shit cleaned me right out, i don't think i've ever had it before.

By J on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:35 pm:

So your better now Whisper? Qh,yes,I remember quarter shot nights at the Casa Loma,I totaled out my first car coming home from there on a tequeila night,damn those pesky mediums.I have gone two days without drinking,I'm going to see how long I can.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact