Who is supposed to love you the most

sorabji.com: I need advice: Who is supposed to love you the most
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Trace on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 08:53 am:

Please tell me if I am off base here.
    Whos is supposed to love you the most in life?
    Your Mother?
    Your Father?
    Your Spouse?
    Your Children?
    Your Self?

My thought has always been that it should be your mother.

But, my mother, as most of you know, was probably the one who loved me the least growing up (you just get that feeling when someone chokes you and spits in your face and tells you she hates you).
    Everytime Erin has problems (health or emotional)
    her mom calls her a candy ass or says "Oh well, that's life".
    And then there's Christophers mother.

Am I wrong? Is the bond between mother and child not suposed to be the strongest and most tender?

By semillama on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:15 am:

You are supposed to love your self the most.

Pinks self-destruct like Bouncing Betties.

By Trace on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:25 am:

Pinks???
    I dont get it.

See, I was always taught loving yourself the most was wrong, like it was selfish or something. Especially if you had children.
    I have a little dislike of my self

By crimson on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:26 am:

my mother utterly abandoned me. she also let naked men sleep w/ in my bed when i was a preschooler & would freak out from time to time, clobbering me over the head while screaming that i was a "witch". she was gone by the time i was in grade school. but even if all of that hadn't happened, i still believe that the concept of the mother/child bond is primarily a myth.

look at the number of mothers who murder or abuse their kids (& it's not a new phenomenon, it's just being reported more often). i feel that "maternal instinct" is a myth, in the sense that ALL humans who happen to be female do not, by their very nature, love (or even like) children. i know i definitly don't like them & have about as much maternal instinct as a rattlesnake. however, having said that, i certainly don't wish children any harm & genuinely hate to hear of them being abused, because i know what that's like. mostly, i just want kids to stay the hell away from me. i wish they were invisible. my mother, i think, was much the same way. i was often locked in a dark room for most of my waking hours & commanded to keep absolutely silent. mom felt she had to have children, because after all, that's what a woman DOES.

i don't want to get into another long, pointless debate about children/parenting, since everybody likely knows exactly where i stand on the point. i just wanted to say that not all women have this so-called maternal instint, & furthermore, many do not CARE if their "biological clock" is ticking (there's another myth). a woman has as much possibility of fucking up a child's life as anyone else. motherhood is not sacred & the bond between mother & child is never guaranteed. it's strongly hoped for & often (erroneously) presumed to exist...but it's not a given. the idea of loving your children isn't something that's carved in stone. i can think of far too many examples of people who clearly don't give a shit about their kids in any way.

i had an acquaintance who had six kids. she said that they made her sick to her stomach & that she wished she'd aborted the whole lot of them. she said that in front of all six of them. another person i know said that she loathed her babies & just wanted to slam them into the wall. she felt that children were inhuman, meaningless blobs until they hit adolescence. i also know of a mother who kept her kids drugged so they wouldn't be awake much, because she hated the sound of their voices. motherly love isn't exactly a constitutional guarantee. it's wonderful if it's there...but it's not mandatory or programmed into anybody by nature. i know far too many parents who've told me they wish they'd never had children, including a woman w/ a 5-year-old who says she wishes she could go back in time, skip motherhood, & just get a dog as a companion, instead. when i was a teenager, a friend of mine had a kid. a year later, she told me that she kept praying to god that the child would die of disease so she could get her life back. she really prayed to god for this. she asked me to pray for it, too. she really wanted to kill the child but was afraid of getting caught at it.

oh, & the answer to your initial query should be

(e): yourself.

if THAT person doesn't love you, you're screwed beyond all redemption.

By Pilate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:40 am:

I'll have to agree with Crimson. The answer is SELF.

My mother disliked me and was very open about it. She hated motherhood. If she had any kind of emotional bond with me I never knew about it. She went to her grave hating the fact that she was a mother.

By Trace on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:41 am:

Hmmm, Crimson you just made a golden argument for abortion.
    That is why I am no longer as firm on the subject as I was before (before I started on this board, that is).

Now I see that some women (and men of course) simply have no business with children.

I think my mom was one of them.

The most disturbing type of woman is those whom get pregnant just so the father will marry them. They really have no other use for the child nor any other desire for the child. That would be Annie. Christopher was the tool, and once she got married, he was good for attention for her for a while, but now he is not the attention getter she was hoping for. Unless, of course, there was a problem with the baby.

Straying from subject, sorry. Still a little messed up in the head over this.

By crimson on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:51 am:

i think it's wonderful when parents love & nurture their children. it's just that things don't always work out that way. i think it's not only a shame for the children (who can hardly help their situation) but for the parents as well. they could've--& should've--done other things w/ their life.

By Spider on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:01 am:

My mother is the second of seven children. Her mother wanted none of them, told this to them often, and abused them physically, emotionally, and sexually, my mother worst of all.

My mother has told me she was never happier than when she learned she was pregnant with me. She's never hit us. She's got her own problems (mostly because of her family), but I know she loves her kids very much and she's tried her best to be a good mother.

Free will at work.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:56 am:

"I was always taught loving yourself the most was wrong"

Southern Baptist guilt-inducing.

This is a euphamism the church used to encourage people not to wank.

By Trace on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

Well, yes, that and I was taught that I had nothing to be proud of in myself. I was this wretched thing.

But, I can see that this type of upbringing is not as uncommon as I once thought it was, or this board has a way of attracting the abused children of the world, and most of us have become cynical and bitter.

I must learn to be stronger.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

My mailman loves me the most of anyone. And I he. In a familial way. It's nice. He brings me stuff every day.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:30 pm:

i am your mailman, dougie. sorry i had to break it to you like this.

By semillama on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:48 pm:

I'm the trashman, myself.

Your sick in the head relation, Trace, is a classic example of someone who doesn't love themselves, as are the rest of the examples people threw out up there. Give your self more credit.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 02:03 pm:

That's cool, Nate. Just as long as you still love me the most of anyone (in a familial way).

By agatha on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 09:28 pm:

i love cleo the most. i love dave the second most. brother, sisters, mom, dad, and my dog come next. my mom had six kids, and loved us all, which i think in turn made me able to love my daughter in what i think is a pretty healthy way.

not that i never wish i had my life back, but it's getting easier to do what i want now that she's a little older. i used to wish that more frequently when she was a baby, but what she gave me in return made my lack of time worthwhile, and besides, i never did much of anything worth mention before i had her anyhow. in fact, i think in some ways she was the kick in the ass i needed to become a more productive and positive individual.

i would say that more mothers love their children than hate them, but i have been accused of being an optimist.

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 09:46 pm:

i admire you, agatha. dave too.

By Trace on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 10:03 pm:

Agatha, you have restored my faith in moms.

By agatha on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 01:08 am:

that's not to say that i'm never mean to my daughter. because, sometimes i am really a bitch.

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 11:30 am:

ironically, the mrs admitted last night that once this business gets off the ground she wants a child. clearly, this business could never take off, and well tough tooties, but most likely, things will work out over time. im kinda skittish and curious about that day she turns to me....gives me that eye.

Should I stay or should I go now?
    Should I stay or should I go now?
    If I go there will be trouble
    An' if I stay it will be double
    So come on and let me know

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 11:31 am:

and you know, its a good thing she doesnt come around here...cause id probably get it for that post above. much like dave gets it for some of the dumb things he says.

By Spider on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

Patrick, have a camera on hand when your wife unleashes that eye. I want to see that.

By patrick on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 12:37 pm:

that could actually be the distraction i would need in that situation.

By wisper on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 08:08 pm:

sometimes i'm worried.
    i mean, where's the line?
    when's the line? What if, suppose, i'm sure i've found Mr.Forever, and years go by, and one day he says he wants a kid? Now i know i always said (when grandmother-types ask because they're often rude) that no way, Mr.Forever will not want children and be fine with my desicion. (and i know I could change, but let's put that aside.) But what IF? He could change. And then i would have to choose, and i would have to leave. What if patrick doesn't want kids? I'm sure it's been talked about, but what IF?
    so many ifs. Scary. Life.
    How the hell do any of you do it.
    How the hell do i do it, for that matter.

By Trace on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 09:56 pm:

IF.
    IF ruins so many things.
    IF usually never happens.

By Trace on Friday, June 8, 2001 - 10:01 pm:

I had a vasectemy after Mikayla. I dont know if you remember the story, but it is long, so I wont get into it. Besides, this is about you, not me.
    Erin almost died with her and the doctor said I dont want to see you in the delivery room again.
    So, I did what I had to to make sure it did not happen. My mom said "what IF you and Erin split up?
    What IF you found some one else and wanted to have another baby with her?"
    So far IF has not happened. Erin and I could not be happier with our kids, and she is not pregnant.
    IF i let IF win, then she might be....

Never listen to the could of, should of, would of, IF,
    Listen to what your heart is saying now.

By Platypus on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

Wow, Trace, that was incredibly nice of you. I know a lot of men who wouldn't even consider doing that, they would just say "get on birth control, bitch." Damn. I admire you so much today.

By semillama on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 04:10 pm:

Hey Trace, even thought what is happening to your family right now is pretty bad, I think you are gaining some powerful positive stuff from it, in the personal growth area.

By Trace on Saturday, June 9, 2001 - 08:38 pm:

I thinks so

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact