british jokes i don't understand

sorabji.com: I need advice: british jokes i don't understand
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

i get the first joke, i just want to know who the hell cilla is an what 'scouser' means. i'll never understand cricket.

*joke 1*

Bob Hope was on 'Surprise Surprise', and bragged that despite his 97 years of age, he could still have sex three times a night. After the show, Cilla said, "Bob, if I'm not being too forward, I'd love to have sex with an older man. Let's go back to my place."

So they go back to her place and have great sex. Afterwards, Bob says, "If you think that was good, let me sleep for a half hour, and we can have even better sex. But while I'm sleeping, hold my testicles in your left hand and my penis in your right hand." Cilla looks a bit perplexed, but says, "Okay." He sleeps for half an hour, awakens, and they have even better sex. Then Bob says, "Cilla, that was wonderful. But if you let me sleep for an hour, we can have the best sex yet. But again, hold my testicles in your left hand, and my penis in your right hand." Cilla is now used to the routine and complies. The results are mind blowing. Once its all over, and the cigarettes are lit, Cilla asks "Bob, tell me, does my holding your testicles in my left hand and your penis in my right stimulate you while you're sleeping?" Bob replies, "No, but the last time I slept with a Scouser, she stole my wallet."

*joke 2*

A man goes into the doctor's walking bow-legged.

"What happened to you? You look like you've been riding a horse for 4 days." inquires the doctor.

"You have to help me," the man replies,"I had a sports accident and ended up with a cricket ball stuck up my arse."

"How's that?" asks the doc.

"Oh, don't you start," moans the man

By Gee on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 03:14 pm:

"SCOUSE is more than an accent. It is a dialect (i.e. its vocabulary often differs from standard English) and was born of the cultural and ethnic melting-pot that was Liverpool during the 19th century right up to second third of the 20th century, when social and cultural changes, led by television, began to erode some of the differences. The word comes from Labskaus, a northern-European (north-German and Scandinavian) sailors' dish, brought to the British Isles by foreign seamen and adapted into various delicacies that included Irish Stew (an old recipe for scouse is given in volume 1 of Lern Yerself Scouse)."

As for Cilla...

By Cat on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

"How's that" is a cricket term that you'll come across more frequently if your stumbling culture wanders into a more civilised era of enlightenment and learns to play proper sports.

When the bowler thinks he has got someone out or when a fielder catches the ball straight off the bat, he turns to the umpire and yells out "How's that!", encouraging a favourable call.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 04:40 pm:

Cricket is a sign of a senile and doddering culture in the wane of its existence.

except for Brockian Ultra-Cricket:
    The following are the official rules of Brockian Ultra-Cricket
    From Life, the Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams (Adams had expressed the dismal view that cricket has become yet another example of the British tendency towards masochism.)

Rule 1: Grow at least three extra legs. You won't need them, but it keeps the crowd amused.

Rule 2: Find one good Brockian Ultra-Cricket player. Clone him off a few times. This saves an enormous amount of team selection and training.

Rule 3: Put your team and the opposing team in a large field and build a high wall around them. The reason for this is that, though the game is a major spectator sport, the frustration experienced by the audience at not actually being able to see what's going on leads them to imagine that it's a lot more exciting than it really is.A crowd that has just watched a rather hum-drum game experiences far less life-affirmation than a crowd that believes it's just missed the most dramatic event in sporting history.

Rule 4: Throw lots of assorted items of sprting equipment over the wall for the players. Anything will do - cricket bats, basecube bats,tennis guns, skis, anything you can get a good swing with.

Rule 5:The players should now lay about themselves for all they are worth with whatever they find to hand. Whenever a player scores a 'hit' on another player, he should immediately run away and apologize from a safe distance. Apologies should be concise, sincere and, for maximum points, delivered through a megaphone.

Rule 6:The winning team shall be the first team that wins.

By moonit on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

Scouser is also slang for those English who live in Liverpool.

By droopy on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:58 pm:

thanks. all of you. "two cultures separated by the same language."

By wisper on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

there is a cricket club nestled in the backwoods around here, and sometimes i'm lucky enough to drive past when they're having a practice. It's all very dark black men (for some reason) and i love the contrast between their skin and the crisp white of their uniforms and the deep green of the grass. Sometimes i pull over and watch for a bit, the whole scene really agrees with me.
    If i took a picture for you it would cheapen it all somehow.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

They're probably all from India and Bangladesh.

By droopy on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

my money's on the west indies.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact