grad school blues

sorabji.com: I need advice: grad school blues
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By agatha on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 02:00 pm:

okay, so i'm getting ready to apply to a few grad schools. most of the applications are due in january, and i'm taking the gre's in december. any general words of advice for me? anyone who has taken the gre's: can you recommend any good test prep shit? should i pay for a class, or is that a waste of time? any good books to look at?

i'm scared that i'm not going to get in to any of the three schools i'm applying to.

helpme.

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

Agatha, it's been a long time, but I remember getting one of those study books put out by Princeton Review (?) for the GRE, studied it for a week, and did fine on the test.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

I second the Princeton Review recommendation.

But, hey! I haven't taken my GREs because I'm afraid of failing, and I haven't applied to grad school because I'm afraid of rejection, so I'm not the best person to be giving advice.

Agatha, I'm proud of you and hope you apply. What do you want to study? Library Science?

By crimson on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

i didn't do anything special to prepare for the GRE. in fact, i had just recently had surgery & took it while on pain pills. i still had drip tubes & stuff in my body...they propped me up in a corner & let me go. i was in agonizing pain. i had just walked out of the hospital.

result: maybe i should take more tests while under the influence of synthetic opiates. my scores were sufficiently high to get me into every school i applied to except one (in that case, i had applied too late in the season & they'd already taken their quota of out-of-state students).

i didn't study for the ACT exam either. i took that w/ a hangover. got a scholarship. go figure.

By heather on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 03:32 pm:

i took the computer version of the test and i did try to prepare a bit. the score was slightly better than the first time, but not that much different [i had taken the test before, right out of school]

if you're planning to take the computer version [do they still do the paper version?] it's a bit harrowing because the questions get harder as you answer correctly. i was glad that i tried to prepare a bit- even if it was only psychological relief.

i used some computer program. if i still had it i'd send it to you but i gave it away a while ago. i knew i wouldn't get very far reading a book about it.

By Margret on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

I got drunk the night before my GREs and drove through a blizzard to take them on very little sleep. My best advice: take a prep course; you could probably use the brush-up in math. Math was where I tanked it, but I ended up scoring well.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

I agree with Margret, I would have done a little better on the test if I had taken a course. I just got one of those huge books with the sample tests and studied that for amonth and took teh computer test.

Damn, we're pretty smart around here.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 04:03 pm:

dang.

i feel pretty dumb.

By droopy on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

so, a GRE's some kind of test?

By agatha on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 04:56 pm:

By crimson on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

if i were doing it over again, i'd possibly consider studying for the math portion, which was my weakest area.

probably says something about my age that i didn't know a computerized GRE even existed. i took mine the old-fashioned way, with a #2 pencil.

By heather on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

that sounds like what i used only i got it in a box- it was kaplan, too. it may have had fewer things [practice tests, etc] but it cost half as much at the time.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 05:38 pm:

the Princeton book mentioned above, checked out from your library for free wouldnt work just as well?

By sarah on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 09:48 pm:

i didn't take a GRE prep class, but i did study up a bit.

for some reason i did really well on the math part and not so good on the logic part. my view of all math is that, even if you're doing calculus, it's all just different ways of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. perhaps if you keep that in mind, it might make it less scary.

the vocabularly part was a lot of fun.

i took the computer version as well. i recommend it, especially if you're comfortable in a computer environment. i hate filling in circles with graphite. blows. reminds me of those old IOWA tests.

you're going for library science agatha? one of the smartest women i've ever known had her masters in library science.

By agatha on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:47 am:

i'm finishing my essay right now. somebody kill me, please.

the essay is made that much worse by the fact that i'm 95% certain that i won't get in. it's giving me giant mental blockage.

By droopy on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

i once wrote an essay on how cool agatha is. it was called "agatha is cool." it was well-researched, extensively documented and cross referenced. i sent it to new yorker magazine, and it was accepted for publication. they editor said i should eventually expand it into a book. they asked me to revise the text though - mostly take out all of the exclamation points and the run-on sentences. also, i used the word "cool" 14,895 times in a 32,564 word essay. they said that it would be better to vary my adjectives and suggested things like "badass" and "killer intelligent chick." during the revision my hard drive crashed, and i completely lost the essay.

if i had to describe it briefly, though, it would be: agatha is cool.

By Antigone on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 01:03 pm:

I feel your pain, agatha. I'm taking the GRE subject test for computer science on April 6th. I took a practice test a couple of days ago and I have to improve my score by 300 points if I want to get into my school of choice. Ugh...

By agatha on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:13 pm:

okay, you two don't suck either.

if you took your essay and replaced "cool" with equal parts "library", "community", and "information", you would have my essay in its' entirety.

also, basic grammar rules seem to be eluding me.

By agatha on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:14 pm:

also, i'm taking a break and eating, dave. IS THAT OKAY?

By Spider on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

Hey, I don't suck, neither. I gave you some paltry help in the "chicken and rice" thread. Doesn't that count for some love?

Agatha, my heart is sore for you. I know what kind of hell applying to schools is. It's a hell that dries you out.

By agatha on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

i already said you didn't suck! sheesh.

i'm making progress, but i don't think i'm going to finish before work. drat.

By heather on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

i didn't think i would get in to my school of choice either

and my essay was a cheesy piece of shit

good luck to you

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 12:12 am:

First time I took my law boards I didn't study, did miserably. Second I was drunk; got a great score; third time I don't even recall taking the test I was so hungover. Didn't get into a single law school.

Took my GRE's so long ago they didn't have number two pencils. Didn't study; got into every school I applied to, except Harvard, bastards. Never studied during my masters. Rarely studied during my PHD fellowship. Drank entirely too much throughout my post doc certification program.

Took a job outside academics making twice what my peers were making teaching; never finished the doctorate. Wrote great essays on Melville having never ever ever finished Moby Dick.

There must be a lesson somewhere here. Oh yeah, I'm underemployed and overpaid. I keep forgetting.

Really, stick with it. Never give up. Test scores are only as good as the scholarship dollars they represent.

By Agatha on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 08:36 pm:

my name is agatha, too!! IF you wanted to know..

By agatha on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 08:58 pm:

Wow, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I wish Droopy would come back, and Spider would come back all the way instead of this once a month posting shit.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact