Can you bake in a microwave?

sorabji.com: I need advice: Can you bake in a microwave?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

I'm serious.

I tried to make banana bread (Sarah's banana/coconut recipe, btw) on Saturday, and got so far as pouring the batter in the pan and opening the oven door when I discovered my oven is broken. It's a gas oven, and the flame won't light.

So now I've got a bowl of banana bread batter (with raw eggs) sitting in my refridgerator, waiting for the maintenance people to check out my stove, which might not be for a few days.

I *really* want to bake the banana bread -- I don't want to toss the batter.

And no, as I said in a recent thread, I don't know anyone in the area well enough to pop by their house and bake the bread in their oven.

So:

1) Can you bake banana bread in a microwave? If so, on what power level and for how long?

1b) If not, how long will the batter last in my refridgerator?

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

Oops, refrigerator. Taking Friday off apparently did not restore my IQ, after all. :(

By Antigone on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:32 pm:

Toss a couple forks in the batter and it'll cook up just fine.

By Antigone on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:33 pm:

JUST KIDDING, GODDAMMIT!!!!!!

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:37 pm:

How kind of you to include your second post as a nod to my recent dumbness.

But I wasn't kidding! You can do all sorts of things in a microwave, like cook whole roast chickens, right? So can you bake, too?

By kazoo on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

They have microwave baking pans.

I don't know if you have to alter micro-baking recipes or if you can just use conventional oven ones.

And I'm not even sure that you have to use the special pan, only that they "promote quick cooking, desirable browning, and good crust formation."

By Antigone on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 02:04 pm:

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

Hmmmmm.....so I take that as a yes.

What about the fact that my batter is 2 days old? Do you think that will kill me?

(I really don't want to throw it out, and buy new bananaz, and wait for them to ripen, and get more coconut.....*sigh*....but I will if eating my batter will make me sick.)

Also....heh.... I accidentally turned off my refrigerator yesterday or Saturday, and I only realized it this morning. So I guess I should make new batter after all.

:~(

(I really like this smiley -- can you tell? I use him all the time.)

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 02:16 pm:

"Can you bake in a microwave?"

I remember my mom tried one of those cakes that you bake in a microwave.

The answer is, you can, but do you REALLY want to?

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

http://www.123easyaspie.com/micro.html

also
    MICROWAVE BANANA NUT BREAD

½ cup shortening
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1¼ cups mashed bananas
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    ¼ cup milk
    ½ cup nuts, chopped

Cream shortening and sugar, beat in eggs, add bananas. Sift dry ingredients together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in nuts, Pour into greased and paper towel lined circular cooker. Cook on 50 percent power for 8 minutes, then on high for 2-4 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes, invert on plate. Let rest, covered with circle cooker. Serve warm with soft butter or cream cheese.

By Microwave Pancake Boy on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

"It's a gas oven, and the flame won't light"

Are you sure that it's broken, and not that the pilot light just hasn't gone out?

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

Do you smell gas..
    If so, Excuse me.

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

Uh....well, I've never had a gas oven before, so I don't know how they work. I know that a few weeks ago it worked, and my stove ranges currently work... I hear and smell gas when I try to turn the oven on.

How do you check the pilot light? How do I light it if it's gone out? Is there anything I should NOT do, to keep myself from dying?

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

***SPIDER***
    CALL YOUR GAS COMPANY IMMEDIATELY.
    DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT 200, CALL GAS COMPANY AND THEY WILL LIGHT IT FOR FREE

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

If it is kind of new, it should have a security feature to keep you from blowing yourself up, but it is better to be safe then smoking.

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

Well, I live in an apartment building, and I don't have a gas company. Building maintenance it is.

I don't smell gas unless I fiddle with the oven, which I stopped doing on Saturday night. I was home a good part of the day yesterday and everything seemed fine -- no gas smell...no headache, either. Am I safe at home, or do I need to take up in a hotel until this is fixed?

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

You should be fine as long as you are sure the oven is off...

By Fire Marshal Pancake Boy on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

Nah, read your stove manual. If you have a bottom broiler, usually you can take that whole broiler drawer out, get a long fireplace match, and light the pilot light. Do be careful and read the instructions, but you should be ok. I've never had a problem re-lighting my pilot lights -- on my old stove, I pretty much had to re-light it each time I used the stove.

By Dumbass on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:25 pm:

Oven I mean. DOH

By Grilled Pancake Boy on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

Or, you could just buy one of those $10 charcoal grills and cook the cake inside. Everything tastes better charcoal grilled. We do it all the time. Plus, you get the added benefit of that woosy feeling you get as the smoke takes over the house.

By spunky on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

Just be careful if you are going to light it yourself.
    It is not very hard, but most people prefer messing with gas up to the pros.
    Of course, if the maintenance guys there are anything like the ones here, you are probably better off following Pancake boy's advice...

By patrick on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:34 pm:

fuck it spider, just call maintenance and say you oven is broke. if its just the pilot light, ask maintenance show you how to light it.

who do you send your gas bill to spider?

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

I'm not going to light it myself -- I'm afraid of fire as it is.

I called maintenance, but the way the conversation went makes me wonder if they took my apartment info down.

Plus, ohmygod, my apartment is a wreck and I don't like the thought of someone seeing it in that state. Oh, the shame -- I'm flushing just thinking about it! Hopefully, they'll be gone before I get home, or I'll have time to straighten up before they get there.

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

I don't have a gas bill -- all util. included.

By patrick on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:40 pm:

you can bet they are going through your underwear drawer this very minute.

i hope you don't keep your vibrator in the underwear drawer, like countless other women do.

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:40 pm:

Seriously, my apartment is soooo messy. Papers, books, boxes, pens, clothes all over the floor... the bed's not made...I hope I put my underwear in the hamper this morning....

*squirms*

By Spider on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 03:42 pm:

Patrick! As if! Where would I put it -- next to my rosaries?

By kazoo on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 04:29 pm:

I guarantee maintainence has seen worse. When my apartment was broken into years ago, my room was a DISASTER, so much so that the detectives asked me if I was "sure" it was like that before the guy broke in. Since I was home when it happened and knew how long the guy had been there, I could reassure the police that I made the mess.

They didn't look convniced.

By patrick on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 05:05 pm:

By Chicken Pancake Boy on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

Wow, it took less than a day for this thread to devolve into a discussion about Jesus dildoes. Kewl.

Oh yeah, anybody know if there's such thing as an oven thermometer (not a meat or candy thermometer) that you can stick in your oven to see the temp? We've got a new oven and I swear it's not as hot as it says -- we roasted a chicken last week (don't worry, it was dead first) at 350, and it took FOREVER to cook. Kept pulling it out to see if it was done, and it like took forever. Maybe my hunger pangs had something to do with it seeming like it took forever, but it was definitely over an hour and a half. A watched chicken never roasts I guess.

By dave. on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:12 pm:

yes there is. it's called an oven thermometer, oddly enough. go to walmart or some place like that and ask if you can buy one of their oven thermometers. they'll say "yeah" or something. then, take it home and put it right inside the oven.

By sarah on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:09 pm:

spider, i'm totally honored that you wanted to bake my banana bread! that stuff is so yummy. thanks for reminding me, i'm going to have to make some.

i had some really yummy banana bread this weekend at a wedding shower. it was banana flaxseed bread with oats. it was delic.

oh, and no, i have no idea how to bake in a microwave. the only thing i've ever used microwaves for is heating up water or melting cold peanut butter. and once i made popcorn a long time ago.

By sarah on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:11 pm:

the woman who made the banana bread also made the best salsa i have ever eaten. it was hot n spicy but not make-you-sick spicy, it had lots of cilantro, just the right amount of onion, and the perfect tomato consistency. it was not in a thick tomato paste of any kind, the only juice in it was the natural water from the tomato. oh, and lime juice.

she said she got the recipe from a mexican.

it makes every other salsa i've ever eaten taste like ketchup in comparison.

i will have to get that recipe for sure.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:31 am:

Sarah, thank you so much for posting the recipe for the banana bread in the first place -- it's the best I've had.

Pilot light was not relit when I got home, and no one came during the evening. I'll call again this afternoon to make sure they got my apt. #.

By Pancake Boy on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:10 am:

Thanks dave.. You're a fount of knowledge, and a true scholar and a gentleman.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:16 am:

Patrick, what are you doing up at 6:10 in the morning?

By patrick on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:26 am:

im not. what are you talking about spider.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:26 am:

im not. what are you talking about spider?

By Spider on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:31 am:

You made that last post at 9:10 EST, so......wouldn't that be 6:10 PST?

By patrick on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:40 am:

i didnt make anyt post at 9:10 spider. the only post i see at 9:10 is "Pancake Boy".

By patrick on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:41 am:

where did you get the idea that "Pancake Boy" was me? Thats dougie's hairbrained idea at mimicking the waffleboy.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:47 am:

Oh, I thought that was you. Actually, I was wondering why you were in such a goofy mood -- it makes sense that it was Dougie.

Dougie, you rascal!

By eri on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:54 am:

I remember a cake mix you could buy and bake a cake or brownies in the microwave, but I haven't baked in a microwave for like 15 years, so I don't remember how.

By Blueberry Pancake Boy on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:57 am:

Wait, hold the phone a second. First of all, it's spelled "harebrained". Second of all, well, I don't have a second of all. Oh wait, I guess it would be "imitation is the highest form of flattery" and although I wasn't particularly trying to flatter you Patrick, I did like the "breakfast monikers" such as you and Oatmeal Boy had, and I wanted to have one too. Next, I'm thinking I'll be Life Cereal Boy, then I'll move on to NutriGrain Bar Boy, but I don't want to give all my moves away -- I want to keep you all up at night guessing what my next moniker will be.

Spider, I used to love it when my grandfather would call me "a rascal and a scamp" when I was a kid. And my 9:10 post wasn't particularly goofy. I was paying dave. a compliment.

By dave. on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:58 am:

biscuits-n-gravy boy?

By dave. on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

chilaquiles boy!

By dave. on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

boy, i'm hungry boy

By Biscuits-n-gravy boy on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

There ya go. dave. is the lucky winner of 1000 points.

By dave. on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:05 pm:

FEED ME NOW!

By patrick on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

when the name was derived, breakfast was never in mind.

im think "huevosrancheroschavo" should win the prize.

By Kibbles and Bits Boy on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:21 pm:

You get a 1000 points too, Patrick, my man.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:09 pm:

I liked "Le garcon de les crepes" or however it went. "Garcon" is a funny word.

By Rice Chex Boy on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

Thanks Spider. I liked El Muchacho de los tortillas dulces personally, but I'm weird. Don't worry, the novelty of being Breakfast Food Boy will wear off soon, and then you'll have boring old Dougie to kick around again.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

I can't wait to try the Banana Bread recipe.

Yum!!

Spider you won't have a problem lighting the pilot light. If you can locate it there is only enough gas going through those lines to keep the pilot going. Just don't turn the oven on before you light the pilot and you'll be fine.

By semillama on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 05:47 pm:

now I am really hungry.

By Antigone on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:15 pm:

now I am really Andy.

By semillama on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:00 pm:

no you aren't.

By Nate on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 09:39 am:

i can bake in my living room.

By Antigone on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:41 am:

i can bake in my Andy.

By kazoo on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:42 am:

no, you can't

By patrick on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 12:17 pm:

Andy is baking in my living room, WHAT!

By J on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:35 am:

I like to shake and bake,you can do it anywhere.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 7, 2006 - 02:59 pm:

so i made another banana bread over the weekend. senor thinks it's one of my best ever.

i have like 5 great banana bread recipes, and about 3 more in my head waiting for testing.

senor thinks i should start a baking business. it's something i've dreamed about for a long time. we've talked about taking my baked goods to local cafes and restaurants and giving them free cakes and breads to try. then i get freaked out thinking about commercial kitchens, dept. of public health issues, and all the dumb business/legal crap of just wanting to sell a loaf of banana bread to a coffee shop.

and in the end i wondered if i'd end up ruining one of my favorite hobbies by making it my job.

like yoga. i have no desire whatsoever to teach yoga, though some classes i've taken i know i could teach it way better than the instructor that day. the teaching part just doesn't appeal to me. i want yoga to me my hobby, not my job.

anyway. i could be the Banana Bread Lady, if i wanted to.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 7, 2006 - 03:04 pm:

banana bread is one of my favorite baked goods, close second to carrot cake.

carrot cake
    banana bread
    sourdough

i found this on a post-it note:

dear sarah,

please share any banana bread recipe that is not classified confidential.

thank you,
    nate

By droopy on Tuesday, November 7, 2006 - 03:49 pm:

proustian moment about carrot cake.

when i was very young and visiting texas, i would go with my grandfather to visit his friend john. he was blind, and even my grandfather refered to him as "blind john". he ran a candy and snacks stand at the newspaper building where the presses ran. i remember it had a sign with some verse from the bible (i think) to the effect that it was a sin to steal from a blind man. my grandfather would pick up his candy supplies and deliver them to his stand.

every so often, we'd go to the apartment he lived in. it was on the second floor in this seedy apartment building on, i think, south main. it was next to one of those seedy little bars that you see that look basically like a giant cinder block with a door and a sign over it - one of those gimme signs you get from the liquor company with the "miller beer" logo on top and then the name of the bar in plastic letters slid into slots. john would go there and drink. he wasn't always successful coming back home up the stairs.

i don't know if somebody knocked the walls out for him, but i remember his apartment being mostly open space. the kitchen area had short walls separating it from the rest of the room. it had a door on its north wall that opened to a 1 story fall. apparently they had torn down part of the building. there was a junkyard there, then. it has a surrealistic quality, in my memory. they always kept the door open in the summer, which amazed me.

what does this have to do with carrot cake? john had a companion or a hired woman or something who took care of him. i remember being there one time and she was making carrot cake, which was apparently john's favorite. she gave me a slice. it's the only time i ever had carrot cake.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 7, 2006 - 04:04 pm:

here's the latest one i made:

1 1/4 cup spelt flour
    1 cup regular unbleached wheat flour
    1/3 cup finely ground golden flax seeds
    1 tea baking powder
    1/2 tea baking soda
    1/2 tea salt

1/4 cup butter, soft
    1/2 brick of cream cheese, soft
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tea vanilla
    1/3 cup honey
    2 ripe medium bananas (not too ripe) smashed up
    handful of butterscotch and white chocolate chips

prehead the oven to 350 degrees, then spray your bread pan with that bitchin PAM baking spray.

whisk together the first 6 dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

beat butter and cream cheese together, add sugars and blend for 5 minutes. add eggs and vanilla and beat for another 3 minutes or so. add honey and mashed bananas and beat until everything is completely smooth and liquid.

using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just barely combined. do not mix it even a second more, or or your bread is going to be tough.

pour mixture into a bread pan. sprinkle chips on top and gently press them into the top of the batter. bake for 50 minutes at 350. when it's done, turn the oven off, but leave the oven door closed and let the bread rest in there for about 15-20 minutes before removing from the oven.

let it cool for another 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. eat while slightly warm.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 7, 2006 - 04:21 pm:

you know, the thing about ingredients and directions is that it's difficult to communicate the subtleties.

you know, like, are you using clover honey or wildflower honey? you might not use vanilla if you're using wildflower honey.

the other thing is the dry ingredients. i say 1-1/4 cup spelt flour, but really it's not the volume it's the weight. and truthfully i didn't actually put in 1-1/4 cups. what i did was i packed a one-cup measuring cup with spelt flour, so that there was actually more than one cup, but i didn't pack it down as hard as you would brown sugar. and then for the regular flour i measured it the regular way - where you lightly spoon the flour into the cup, tap it down maybe just a wee bit, level it off, and put it in the bowl.

i've been having fun w/ spelt flour lately. it is oh so slightly sweeter than regular flour, but it also absorbs liquid more (which i like because your baked goods somehow turn out more moist, but not thick and dense as it would be if you tried to achieve moist by simply added more butter or oil).

so say if your recipe calls for 2 cups flour but you want to use spelt, you'd use 2-1/4 cups spelt flour or (in the case of senor's favorite banana bread) 1-1/4 spelt and 1 cup regular.

and then there's the combining thing. maybe the dry ingredients aren't quite enough, or maybe there's a little too much. i mean, you dont just dump in the dry ingredients. you dump in about 3/4 of it, mix it up a little bit, and within seconds you'll be able to tell by the consistency of the batter whether or not you're going to need to use all the dry ingredients or whether you don't quite have enough.

that's the kind of shit i love about baking.

also, the absolute delight and amazement of the consumer who can taste and appreciate the subtleties.

my next banana bread is going to be testing various ratios banana with pumpkin. and i'm really into the honey thing right now too.

By wisper on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 03:04 am:

banana / pumpkin bread? Sarah you magnificent bastard. Lots of people can bake, but you are some kind of food alchemist. Who else has a soup recipe come to them in a *dream*? You SPEAK food, you are fluent in it's language. The ingredients tell you their little stories. Maybe the baking soda has a squeaky voice.
    When i look at them, ingredients tell me fuck all. The bag of sugar goes: "Yeah I'm the sugar, bitch. Whatcha gonna do about it?"
    Nothing.

damn food alchemist

By Dr Pepper. on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 03:39 am:

Sarah, I loved Banana Bread, you ought try my Grandma's baking. Yumm. My friend once made a marijuana brownie, and unsuspecting that I ate and some minute later, I felt a buzz.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 01:47 pm:

oh my. thank you, wisper. the highest compliment for sure. if you keep that up, these boards won't have enough space to hold my ego.

i'm starting to make names for the breads:

The Classic
    The Elvis
    The Tropical
    The Pina Colada
    The Sophisticate
    The Nicole Richie

maybe the new one should be The Senor Special.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 01:48 pm:

oh, and actually, yes, the baking *powder* does have a squeaky voice, not the soda.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 02:05 pm:

believe me sarah, these boards can hold a lot of ego.

i agree with wisper. i bake for shit. i've never been able to figure it out. you have some mystical connection. the rumi of flour and ovens.

By heather on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 02:11 pm:

i like my baking but it's no water for chocolate

so... democrats?

By TBone on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 02:36 pm:

totally.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 03:06 pm:

whackjob affluent san francisco liberal running the house?

By sarah on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 03:10 pm:

all same sex marriage bans passed. all legalize marijuana ballots did not pass.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 03:10 pm:

rumsfeld resigns.

sarah, you should probably send him a loaf of banana bread.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 03:12 pm:

arizona rejected their same sex marriage ban. maybe i'll move to bisbee after all.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 04:03 pm:

with rat poisoning in it.

too late for him.

By TBone on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 07:58 pm:

Missoula passed a resolution to make enforcing marijuana laws (for adults) the county's lowest priority.

By platypus on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 - 10:58 pm:

I was pleased to see that South Dakota rejected the abortion ban, myself.

By Spider on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:30 pm:

Sarah, is there any chance you can repost the banana-and-coconut bread recipe to which I referred in this thread's original post? I have searched the boards to no avail. Thank ye.

By Spider on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:34 pm:

FOUND IT!

Ingredients

2 eggs
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 stick butter, soft
    2 tbs sour cream
    3 medium way overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 to 1-1/2 cups)
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    1/2 tea almond extract
    1/2 tea vanilla extract

1-1/2 cup flour
    1-1/2 tea baking powder
    1/2 tea baking soda
    1/2 tea salt
    1 tea cinnamon

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
    In one bowl, mix or beat eggs, sugar, butter, and sour cream until well blended/fluffy. Add bananas, coconut, extracts, and mix well.

In another bowl combine everything else but the walnuts. Stir it up and then pour it bit by bit into the banana mixture until just combined. Stir in the walnuts.

Spoon the batter into a well greased standard bread loaf. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

By agatha on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 03:10 pm:

Yum.

By Spider on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 09:26 pm:

Seriously. I'm snacking on the fruit of my labor as I type.

Sarah, I have a lot of admiration for you and your interest in the science of baking...how all the ingredients interact with one another and how, grokking the chemistry, one may alter recipes without incurring catastrophe. I know nothing at all about that kind of stuff, and I lack the creativity ad pioneering spirit that would inspire me to experiment. My hat is off to you.

By sarah on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:51 pm:

gosh, thanks spider! sorry i didn't check the boards sooner this weekend, i would have reposted it for you. so i take it turned out well?

i really miss baking. having a one year old and a full time job, i just don't have the free time for it like i used to, and it's something i look forward to reintegrating into my life regularly when the Turducken gets older.

tomorrow i will report on the cornbread i baked Friday. not bad. i'm a little rusty.

By platypus on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:45 pm:

I love baking. I've been making bread like a fiend lately. And bao. My Chinese mother can't make bread dough, but she makes mean bao fillings, so I do the dough, and she does the filling, and everyone wins.

By Spider on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:59 am:

It turned out delicious. :) I doubled the recipe, too, so I have an abundance of midnight-snack-temptation fodder tonight.

The prospect of making dough frightens me out of the kitchen. But I used to live with a girl who whipped up pie crusts like I whip up tomato sauce -- that was one mutually beneficial arrangement right there. O, her blueberry pies! *droool*

Baking in general intimidates me because of its intolerance of sloppiness. I feel the need to follow recipes with all the attention and care of someone building a bomb.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 01:36 am:

I loved Banana bread, My Grandmother was the best for baking one!!!!

By moonit on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 04:20 am:

I made the best fucking fruit loaf today. And I don't really like stuff like that.

It has craisins and apple and carrot and apricots. Simmered for 15 minutes with apple juice and orange juice and some water and sugar.

The mixed with flour and cinnamon. Man it was good.

By Nate on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:56 am:

i ate three chocolate covered cashews last night.

spider, i'm with you on baking breads and pies and anything that requires precise measurements. roasting, no problem. i cut my teeth on meat cookery. no baking. i don't even have a food scale.

By platypus on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:55 pm:

Perhaps that's why I have so much trouble with meat cookery. I relish the precision of baking, and all the ways you can play with it when it comes to substituting ingredients and inventing new takes on old baked things. But I cannot cook meat worth a damn. Wish I could.

By moonit on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 07:25 pm:

pfft precise measurements - I just do 'that looks about right' and it always works.

I also made this museli like slice that turned out pretty good too.

By droopy on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 01:08 am:

sometimes i wish i didn't have to eat at all.

have you ever been to tonga, moonit?

By moonit on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:39 pm:

nope only bali and fiji. I heard its nice but Samoa is better.

By sarah on Sunday, November 8, 2009 - 01:21 pm:

coconut banana bread in the oven! and now i have TWO kids and a full time job.

today, for the moment, i'm supermom.

oh, and i got my period last night for the first time in 16 months. seriously wishing now i had gotten my tubes tied when i had the chance.

By platypus on Sunday, November 8, 2009 - 01:39 pm:

Don't you still menstruate after tubal ligation?

By kazu on Sunday, November 8, 2009 - 04:27 pm:

Yes you do. I got my period within six months, even nursing exclusively. No cramps though, that's a plus.

By platypus on Sunday, November 8, 2009 - 04:44 pm:

Although when I looked into this, I guess you can get ablation at the same time, which does resolve the menstruation issue.

Since last night, I have been looking into this with much more intense interest. Alas, a tubal (or essure) and ligation is a pretty spendy for the likes of me.

By Danielssss on Sunday, November 8, 2009 - 09:11 pm:

Ah just don't go to bed with any man who hasn't his tied. Why should you girls always be saddled with the responsibilities for birth control. I'll be quiet now.

By Danielssss on Sunday, November 8, 2009 - 09:13 pm:

and the prospect of making dough frightens me out of the kitchen. I am with Spider on this one.

By Spider on Sunday, November 8, 2009 - 10:35 pm:

Daniel, my fear was cured when I made that pear tart. I've since made it again and the crust was easy-peasy. (Also, delicious.)

1 2/3 cup flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt

Whisk these together into a bowl.

10 TBS butter, right out of the fridge

Cut this into small chunks and, with just your fingertips, smoosh the butter into the flour between your fingers. Work quickly so the butter doesn't melt, and work until the butter/flour mixture looks like coarse meal.

In another bowl, whisk together:

2 egg yolks
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 TBS cold water

Then with a fork, mix the yolk mixture into the flour mixture until it forms into a ball. (I've always had to add a little more water at this point, and use my hands.)

Then on your kitchen counter or a pastry board, take the heel of your palm and smear the dough out flat all around, so that you get all the dough flattened and compressed. (Do this quickly or the butter will melt and the dough will get sticky.) Then gather the dough into a ball again and wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

After 2-3 hours, place the dough ball between two big sheets of wax paper and pound/roll out into a circle of your desired thickness. At this point, I usually put the big flat dough pancake back into the fridge for about 1/2 hour, so that the butter recongeals and doesn't stick to the wax paper when I try to peal it off. After that 1/2 hour is up, you can take the dough and do whatever your recipe calls for to it.

It sounds more complicated than it is. There really is no reason to fear. :)

By Danielssss on Monday, November 9, 2009 - 10:17 pm:

fearful of tarts.

how about a tart exchange/?

will work for tart.

By wisper on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 03:40 am:

I can personally attest that tubal ligation changes nothing, period-wise. Oooooh lordy no. I'm still anemic.

Ablation cures this, unless you're one of the lucky ones whose uterus heals over time from the procedure. It's like the ultimate biological "fuck you!".

anyway, mmmmmm tarts

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 04:54 am:

tart the fart? please?

By sarah on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 10:56 am:

it's not the bleeding that troubles me, it's the baby making.

senor is, someday, planning on getting his tubes tied. but until that happens i'm nervous. his boys are overachievers.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 11:46 am:

tart for farts was not me.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 12:04 am:

get an IUD.

when you get a vasectomy your body starts producing sperm antibodies. your testicles become the enemy, a constant source of infection.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 12:07 am:

By sarah on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 11:37 am:

i cannot get an IUD.

sperm granuloma is considered a rare side effect.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 12:01 pm:

well, there you go.

a vasectomy is a mortal sin.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 01:46 pm:

oh noes. senor is going to hell.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 02:57 pm:

every sperm is sacred.
    every sperm is good.
    every sperm is needed
    in your neighbourhood.

every sperm is sacred.
    every sperm is great.
    if a sperm is wasted,
    god gets quite irate

By Nate on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 04:31 pm:

I'm on the fence. it seems like a pragmatic decision, but the
    whole sperm antibodies thing gives me pause.

By Spider on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 02:26 pm:

By ... on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 06:38 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 08:16 pm:

Banana bread, I missed my grandmother's homemade. She makes the amazing things. But missed her dearly.

By beta on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 03:41 am:

By beta on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 03:43 am:

(Well, la-dee-dah, mt made links code automatically- it's almost like 2006 in here)

By sarah on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 02:36 pm:

ha!

By Danielssss on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 03:27 pm:

ban nan hah!

By DanielBAKEsan on Friday, February 1, 2013 - 06:57 pm:

iof course you can bake in a microwave but it is more relaxing to bake on a beach

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, February 3, 2013 - 12:44 pm:

DanielBAKEsan, does this means you can get cancer from eating this?lol.

By Danielssssuns on Sunday, February 3, 2013 - 02:01 pm:

if in a microwave, said molecules are disturbed immensely, and no I would not eat anything out of a microwave. However, that does no stop one from baking in it. Food is disheveled and disorganized by microwaves. Food value compromised. irradiated food is not good in my book. Even irradiated water changes structure. But what do I know, I am not a scientist. I would bake on a beach using the sun, some tin foil and cardboard, and everything is fine. Every one knows that the sun's rays cannot be bad for you. But three minutes in a microwave? Wow, it does strange things to small dogs.

By Danielssssuns on Sunday, February 3, 2013 - 02:01 pm:

if in a microwave, said molecules are disturbed immensely, and no I would not eat anything out of a microwave. However, that does no stop one from baking in it. Food is disheveled and disorganized by microwaves. Food value compromised. irradiated food is not good in my book. Even irradiated water changes structure. But what do I know, I am not a scientist. I would bake on a beach using the sun, some tin foil and cardboard, and everything is fine. Every one knows that the sun's rays cannot be bad for you. But three minutes in a microwave? Wow, it does strange things to small dogs.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 01:32 am:

Not sure you posted twice, but nice, done with my taxes,and the superbowl is a little odd, half of the light went out on second half and was told of that the german seize the opportunity to hit on the mexican news lady.
    Other than that, we had a light snow. had to buy the lottery tickets.
    I am trying to figure on how to shove the tax money up uncle sam's hiney instead of paying him.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 01:32 am:

Not sure you posted twice, but nice, done with my taxes,and the superbowl is a little odd, half of the light went out on second half and was told of that the german seize the opportunity to hit on the mexican news lady.
    Other than that, we had a light snow. had to buy the lottery tickets.
    I am trying to figure on how to shove the tax money up uncle sam's hiney instead of paying him.

By Danielssss on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 12:47 pm:

nice double post doc.

By Dr Double Pepper on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 08:21 pm:

nice double post Danielssss

By The Watcher on Monday, April 1, 2013 - 04:20 am:

Does anyone know why I'm rambling on tonight.

I just feel really weird.

Maybe it's just the bordom getting to me.

It is nice to be here though.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, April 1, 2013 - 08:22 pm:

The Watcher, just find a hobby. You know? Buy a radio control helicopter and you might wants to buy a mini spy camera and have it attach to the helicopter. enjoy the aerial view on the computer. Sounds fun?

By The Watcher on Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 03:45 am:

Dr. P. is that what your doing?

By The Watcher on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 - 01:54 am:

I actually did buy an infrared controlled helicopter. I haven't tried it yet. But, I can't wait to terrorize the cats and bird with it.

By The Watcher on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:48 am:

I still haven't tried it.

I've got to get my act together.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact