Repotting plants

sorabji.com: I need advice: Repotting plants
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Not too bright with plants on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 10:09 pm:

OK I have a total black thumb and every plant I have ever tried to take care of in the past has died (excluding the ugly green thing in the office that flourished).

I now have 4 beautiful plants in my home. A pointsetta which is just fine, a rosebush, tulips and hyacynth. The rosebush is overgrown in the pot it is in and I don't know if there is anything special I should do to re pot it. Also, the tulips are too many bulbs crammed into one small pot and i don't know if it is allright to maybe transfer some of the bulbs to another pot. I just got the hyacynth today, so it hasn't overgrown the pot yet.

I just don't know if there is anything special I should do.

Any non plant killing advice would be greatly welcome.

By patrick on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:59 am:

in my limited, generally idiotic experience, i have learned most plants are fairly durable when it comes to this.

relocating plants is a simple process. get some nutrient rich potting soil to help them recover from the transition. dig hole deep enough to contain the pot it is currently in or at least double the size of the pot they are in. lightly clutch the base of the plant between your fingers, turn upside down and transfer the entire soil/root bulk.

i've killed my fair share of plants by not transplanting them to bigger homes. now that i have a yard, not problemo.

By eri on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

Thanks Patrick. I am going to attempt this today and hope I don't kill them all.

There are like 5 bulbs in my pot of tulips. Do you think it would be OK if I just transferred 2 or 3 bulbs to different pots and then left the others there, giving them more room, or should I just move them all?

By patrick on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

sure why not.

my tulip bulbs better start doing something. they were planted weeks and weeks ago and nothing yet.

i'll 86 their ass soon.

By eri on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

When I was in Missouri my tulips didn't start doing anything until the end of March, beginning of April.

Haven't you guys been having unusual weather lately? The info that was included with my new tulips says that they flourish between 60 and 65 degrees. My apartment is a little warm for them, but I have new ones coming up already. They're growing like crazy at 70-75 but the flowers die off quicker. Just a thought. Maybe it has something to do with the weather.

By patrick on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:37 pm:

they were planted in late december, which is when they are supposed to be planted according the package. they were planted in a cement planter that is just outside our front door. however, im a little worried they dont get the drainage they need. the planter is built into the concrete, it has a decorative spigot like it used to be some sort or shallow, lame gold fish pond. the landlord threw some fresh potting soil in it as a nice gesture.

everything ive planted in my limited experience responded sooner, but maybe this is just the way its supposed to be.

it has been unusually warm ,but this week and last its back to where it should be. highs in the mid 60s, lows in the upper 40s.

By Spider on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

By moonit on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

I got a catcus from a newspaper last year, and you should see it now - its got babies popping out all over the place, and its bright green.

cacti rock

By patrick on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

well, this week and last week, as i said, its been colder than it has. more normal. its chilly over night, but when i planted them, the weather was a little warmer than usual.

succulents in general rock, because it takes nothing to grow them.

just snip a piece off someone else's plant and throw it in the ground.

By Spider on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:34 pm:

It's true! My grandfather's old house was shaded by a huge palm tree that grew as a result of my aunt sticking a palm leaf in the (poor, dry, Las Vegas) soil when she was a little girl.

By Platypus on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:23 pm:

I'm a big fan of succelents.

Spider's right about forcing tulips.

And Eri, seperate those bulbs after they're done blooming--it's perfectly safe to do and it means you'll have more tulips next year. Hurrah for more tulips.

By eri on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

I had to separate them today. The blooms have all died off and there is green growth but no buds or blooms or anything like that. I discovered that they crammed 7 bulbs into a 4" pot and they barely fit it. I will probably have to separate them again later on. The roots were all horribly tangled up. Same thing with the hibiscus, the roots were so crammed in that they were coming out of the top of the soil with nowhere else to go, so I separated them all as much as I could (I ran out of pots).

The roses look much better in the larger pot (6" instead of 4" and much deeper), so I hope they will be allright and start to grow healthy again.

Now they are all in proper sized pots for the most part and are no longer major root bound. How often should I give them plant food? I don't want to overwater or overfeed them, but I don't want to not do it often enough and kill them either. I suck with plants.

By J on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

Did you put down a tablespoon of bone meal under each bulb when you planted them?

By patrick on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

uhhhhhh no.

aint not talk bout bone meal in the intructions.

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:37 am:

We planted tulips and jonquils and all sorts of stuff in November. We sprayed fox urine around them to keep the squirrels away, but it ended up really intriguing the puppy.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:58 am:

you can buy fox urine?

that just sounds so.........i dunno.....cool.

maybe that would keep the skunks outta my yard.

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:27 pm:

Yeah, it's actually meant to keep squirrels away from the bulbs, but it would probably work on skunks too.

By J on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

I'm pretty sure your suppos to mix bonemeal with the soil when you plant bulbs,just do a search,bonemeal+bulbs

By trace on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:36 pm:

where's nate? this thread has pot in the name, and I don't see nate anywhere?

By wisper on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

LOL

By Erica on Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - 09:31 pm:

my tulips died off wat would be the proper procedurs for next time people told us leave in the fridge for 6 weeks and they should start again.. wat do u recommend us doing....

By dave. on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 12:05 am:

study.

By kazu on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 09:33 am:

wat dave.? wat should she study? exsaktly wat wood be gud for her to studee?

By The Watcher on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 12:38 pm:

English Comp.

Don't ask me how to grow anything. I have a black thumb towards all plant life.

By dave. on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 01:23 pm:

back to the basics. kindergarten.

By lapissed on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 05:27 pm:

don't know wat to doo about 2lips butt I whater mi azalea whith urine!

By Kaz22 on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 04:51 pm:

can someone please advise me how to stop my outside flower tubs from becoming totally waterlogged? As i live in "BONNIE SCOTLAND" where the rain is never too far away, my poor flowers are going to need swimming lessons if they have any chance of survival!!!! I'm new to all this gardening caper, so please don't be too technical.
    CHEERS FOLKS
    TTFN

By Sye on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 05:49 pm:

kaz-
    Make sure that your pot has good drainage, i.e. lots of holes in the bottom.

Also, You could take out the plant, empty the pot, fill it up 1/3 of the way with gravel (large or small rocks) and then refill and replant your flowers.

Or just move the planter inside, if that's an option.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact