Help regarding Elavil

sorabji.com: I need advice: Help regarding Elavil
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Friend of Alcee on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:16 am:

A friend has been prescribed Elavil for night-time use as a sleep aid.
    This person now seems to be totally mental and hallucinating. . . complete with bruises and cuts and lack of memory. Can't tell the difference between their hallucinations and reality.
    What to do?
    Does Anyone reading this have any comments regarding this drug?
    How can the "doctors" prescribe such garbage?
    I am freakked and don't know how to help except to remove that medication with their permission, this was done yesterday but the effect is still "on them."
    100 green elavils with 5! refills.

What is that?

By patrick on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:59 pm:

try substituting the sleeping pills for lithium.

By Flakey Foont on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 00:14 pm:

what? the "elavil" (nut-pills prescribed for sleep) is now gone.
    . . . what is the lithium for . . . sleep?

By eri on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

Elavil is a anti-depressant, though mild. I know many people who have or do take this drug. It is only dangerous if you don't have depression. If you do, then I have NEVER known anyone with a side effect and what you are talking about seems really freaky. I don't think it would simply be the drugs, it could be, but this is a very mild pill. I have taken it myself and it had no effect whatsoever on me. Maybe they are mixing something with it that is causing their reactions. Either way, if someone is having a reaction to a drug prescribed by a doctor then they need to go back to the doctors office and discuss it with their physician. It may be that there is something better suited for what they need.

By Freakked on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

The other drug prescribed to them is "Neurontin" for extreme shooting pain caused by diabetic "peripheral neuropathy" (extreme shooting pain in feet also numbness which causes them to not be able to walk well alternating with the most excruciating pain they have ever had "it's like walking with hot broken glass
    in your shoes."
    This friend was diagnosed with diabetes 2 about 10 months ago. Had their blood sugar level been noticed earlier, the "neuropathy" could have been avoided by diet and exercise. Folks, this diabetes is a horrible fate. Get yearly checkups if someone in your family has had this dreaded disease.
    One needs to have some predispostion to it from someone in the family having had it. In other words, it is heredetary and brought on by bad
    dietary habits. (The world famous guitarist "EARL KING" just died at 69 a few days ago from 'diabetes related symptoms')
    I asked a pharmacist why there is such a noticeable emphasis on diabetes on commercial television, 'is it because there has been an outbreak of it recently (past year or so)?' the reply was that "there has just been approval for running commercials about diabetes."
    I thought that the combination of Neurontin and Elavil may have been the reason for this person's hallucinations.
    I found a webpage related to Neurontin that shocked the heck out of me:
    http://www.questionabledoctors.org/intro.cfm
    where they make mention of the fact that doctors were "bribed" to write reviews of this neurontin drug saying that it was great for 11 'diseases' . . . number one is for bipolar, number 2 is for "diabetic peripheral neuropathy!"
    . . . don't know What to do.
    the only other drugs that they are taking are Glucophage, Glucotrol XL and maybe Starlix.
    . . . This was a very healthy and strong person.
    It scares me to hear that they were trying to find the back door to their apartment through other neighbors when there is no back door.

By Spider on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

Uh, like Eri said, if this person is taking prescription medication and having a problem with it, they should talk to their doctor. No one here knows as much about them and their medication as their doctor.

I was on Elavil for a year, for trigeminal neuralgia. I took half of a 25 mg pill every night before bed. I had no scary side effects, but it made me sleep 9+ hours straight, without waking up once, and I'd feel very groggy in the morning.

By Spider on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

BTW, I have excruciating pain in my feet sometimes, too, and I'm pre-pre-diabetic. To me, it feels like a burning pain.

This is interesting.

By Freakked reply on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

That is the way my friend described it. . . when he was brought to a hospital in this condition last Sunday "it's like animals running around in your shoes with hot elctricity"
    The proper link is: http://www.citizen.org/eletter/articles/neurontin.htm
    .. Another friend swears that the same drug helped their back pain. (?. . but not mixed with Elavil)
    "A March 14, 2002, New York Times article revealed that the manufacturer of the seizure medication gabapentin (NEURONTIN) illegally promoted the drug to prescribing physicians for at least 11 "off-label" (unapproved) medical conditions, using their own employees, euphemistically called "medical liaisons." Many of the bases for the safety and effectiveness of gabapentin for these 11 unapproved uses appears to have been fabrications by the corporation. This included paying physicians to appear as the authors of medical journal articles on unapproved uses for gabapentin when the articles had actually been written by others working under the direction of the company’s marketing department."

Check out this site for your symptoms, http://www.medifocus1.com/guide_detail.asp?...
    Spider, I think that is the link.

By Fr on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:41 pm:

By eri on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

Elavil is often used for depression and this other drug us often used for bi-polar. It could very well be a drug interaction, since both medicines can be used to treat the same thing (kinda sorta). I still say your friend needs to discuss this with a doctor. They know much more about these things and other things that might be used to help in place of one or the other of things to get her straightened out. They have the resources there and the history there that we just don'thave access to here. Besides, I don't think any of us are medical physicians.

By Fr on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:03 pm:

Thank you for the messages and information.
    Thanks for being sincere.

By Spider on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

Thanks for the links!

Have you heard of Central Pain? You might find this and this interesting.

By Spider on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

PS. That first link of mine mentions gabapentin as a treatment for Central Pain, for what it's worth.

By Fr on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:05 am:

just saw them, the links.
    they look very interesting.
    again, thank you.

By L on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:07 am:

I have been one that has been prescribe elavil for sleep. I experienced no side affects from taking this medication. I did note that this medication did not help me sleep as well as I expected to. I also didn't really know anything about this medication. If I had of knew then, what I know now, I would not have taken this medication. Tell the person stop taking the medication. Have them seek an opinion from a doctor, have blood levels tested, to make sue their levels are not toxic for this medication.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact