i pay taxes!

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: i pay taxes!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By pez on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

so i was doing my taxes last night. claimed myself as an independent, stayed up 'til 3 calculating my education credits. ended up dancing around due to the federal government owing me every cent i paid on my income taxes.

this morning: called my mom. "you didn't claim me as a dependent, did you?" "let me ask your father." they did. they fucking did. which means, i can't claim myself as an independent, i can't get any education credits at all.

damn. i'll still get a tax return, but it won't be the same. stupid taxes.

By wisper on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

well, you still could claim yourself as
    independant, and let the IRS sort it out.

i say live a little.

By Antigone on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 02:39 pm:

Remember, these are taxes for last year. Last year, you were a dependent. Claim yourself as a dependent next year.

By wisper on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

oops, anti is more right than me.

dance next year pez.

By Nate on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

if you were over 18, your parents can only claim you if no one else does.

that means, if you claim yourself, they're the ones in the wrong.

the IRS won't notice anyway.

By Nate on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

ps. i claim 6 exemptions on my W-4 and i got a grip of cash back.

thank you mr. bush.

By TBone on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 09:03 pm:

Their computers notice. But they essentially send you a letter that tells you not to do it again.

By pez on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 11:29 pm:

ickko. i paid $12hundred on school last year and can't claim it on my taxes... i hate it.

my mom wants to make it up to me somehow... i'm thinking about taking a vacation sometime this spring and having them front my travel expenses.

By Ill Never Tell on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 01:15 am:

I owe the IRS over $40,000.00 this year. I'm not lying; I had one hell of a time with all that money, and only regret that I had to hire a CPA to figure out some way to keep my ass from being thrown in jail. I'd do it again. It changed my life.

By J on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 02:35 am:

I just got two checks that total one hundred and six thousands dollars,plus there are more I.R.A.'s and stocks and her townhouse paid in full that aren't payable upon death that we have to go to some trouble to get,it doesn't even make me happy,in fact,it hurts.My mother was down right miserly,I am frugal,but not cheap.She could have lived a good life,I'll never understand it,I know I bitched about her,but I'd get so frustrated when all I ever did was try to lookout for her,and her best interest.It's just all so sad to me.My brother was on it like blue bonnet,it was sicking,in fact he and his sow of a wife got into it right at the bank,because she tried to pull his checks out of his hand,there is no trust there,and it was embarrassing.Anyway I was there for her everyday,like I said,if I had only known she was dieing,I would have spent more time trying to find out her wishes,and trying to prepare her for it,we thought she was getting better,the system let us all down.I will alway's remember that.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 04:28 am:

pez,

you have a $1000 tax credit for every year you are in school. that shouldn't matter if you can claim yourself or not.

you should claim yourself. it is your right as an american taxpayer.

By pez on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

well, all my forms say i can't unless i'm independent.

but it's not about the money. it was about my hopes, wishes and dreams. it's about feeling screwed over by my job, my country, my parents... and pride.

By Fb on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:25 pm:

get use to it, it only gets worse...

By pez on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 08:45 pm:

and what are YOU gonna do about it, huh?

i'm not going to lick anyone's boots for anything. we'll see where this will go.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 11:18 pm:

just screw your parents over, that's what i'm saying, pez. think about how you had to run over your dad with the car. then sign that tax form.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:11 am:

I loved my taxes this year.
    We paid $2,400 in fed taxes and got $2300 back.
    not sure how that happened, but not going to argue.

By pez on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:25 am:

i'm talking to them tomorrow. and i'll get to see my cat.

By eri on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:39 am:

When I was in school and working and a dependent of my parents, I got to claim tax exempt, because of my school and got all my money back, even though they claimed me as a dependent.

Have you looked into that? Or do you not have enough credits to claim it? How much money do you make? If you make over a certain amount, your parents can't claim you as a dependent. My dad was pissed the first year they couldn't claim me, because I made too much money (something like $6,000 a year or something).

Just some thoughts I had. Hope they might help.

By Fb on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:45 am:

unless you can honestly say that the amount you lost is greater than support they did give you, you have nothing to bitch about.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:05 pm:

Damn! I owe Michigan $162.

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:21 am:

I'm spending my refund on a trip to Ontario next week. Isn't GEE in Canada?

By Gee on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 09:39 pm:

yes GEE is. Are you going to come and visit me? Let me know soon, because I'm still in crunch time!!

By Nate on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 03:04 am:

gee does anal.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact