Where is the progress?

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Where is the progress?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:55 pm:

where is the progress?

This is an outrage. Moreover, as consumers, why are we such fucking pussies? Why arent we demanding better fuel economy in face of dwindling natural resources and air pollution?

Do you like suckin bad air? Do you like paying $50 to fill up your god damn SUV to drive to work and back 3 times?

What the fuck is going on? What is it with this seemingly self-imposed idiocy that the masses are going through?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

"What is it with this seemingly self-imposed idiocy that the masses are going through?"

hey patty, this pretty much sums up my view on the opponents of nuclear power.

if you want cleaner air, we need nuke plants and lots of 'em.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

im not necessarily opposed to nuclear energy.

however i think there is so much more that can be done in terms of energy conservation.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:59 pm:

There are a lot of things we seem to be not progressing on

By Nate on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

i'm progressing on a cup of coffee.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:30 pm:

i'm going to have a can of progresso soup.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:35 pm:

Hmm
    Then I assume you will be progessing towards the pooper?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:38 pm:

im eating soup that could pass for Progresso chicken vegetable though im disapointed as it was sold to me as chicken noodle and has way too much celery, slimey stewed tomatoes, cilantro, and chunky, crunchy carrots that fuck up the consistancy.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

We could conserve lots of energy if we didn't eat meat.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:48 pm:

yeah we could also conserve lots of energy if we just shut this internet doohicky down too.

brilliant tiggy brilliant.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:24 pm:

We could save lots of hot air if we shut you down, patty boy.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:33 pm:

By spunky on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

and you all bitch about my etherzone crap?

By trace on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

By spunky on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:22 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:43 pm:

What the heck are you talking about, spunk?

That was a good article about the shortcomings of the organic approach, though. A bit slanted towards smearing organic retailers, but a good description of their intellectual hypocracy. I kind of equate the fear of genetically modified foods to the fear of nuclear power: hysterical and often not well founded.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:48 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

Not really. Unless you support the
    stigmatization of teh mentally ill? If so, then I'm
    relly gonna start making fun of Chuck Heston
    and Ronnie boy.

By kazoo on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:55 pm:

I hate the PC police, but as someone who suffers from mental illness and has several family members who have been institutionlized, I found that highly offensive.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:57 pm:

Maybe they should rename it "The Hixon's House." Would you be offended then, spunk?

By kazoo on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:56 pm:

Besides, the interesting thing about this article is that it became a "dialogue" between people and not just a matter of one group censoring another in the name of political correctness. And from what I can tell, there was compromise on both sides of the issue.

By trace on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:33 am:

I just think they are sucking the fun out of everything.
    It is nice the way it was handled, and yes, the complaining party even made a new sign for the haunted house, and it was probably fun for them to make the sign, but good grief.
    We had Dr Deadly's haunted hospital. Why are the doctors not offended?
    And If i had no imagination, and i opened a haunted house, I might name it "Hixon Hell House" or "The Hixon House" for Pete's sake..

By Nate on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:19 am:

silly pc people.

it's not called 'look at the silly retards' or 'manic-depressives suck a nut'.

it's like the argument that the alanta braves are offensive because of the cartoonish injun. no one complains about cartoonish white folk.

people just need to grow up. you're liberals, goddamnit, stop acting like the religious right.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:25 am:

as someone who had a father kill himself from mental illness i support the notion that mental wards are fucking scary. nothing creeped me out more than visiting pops in those places. and im not talkin rehab centers, im talkin locked down, heavy metal and small peep-holed door kinda place.

whats next...hate crimes against the dead? spirt rights! spirit rights!

ok, that was silly, but it seems to me whats significant in this matter is that anyone actually paid any attention at all. Its such an insignificant matter.

trace, while i think you are right in some aspects, you are kinda missing the point."Dr. Deadly's haunted Hopsital" is not a generalization like "Mental Ward" is.

What about the sanitariums depicted in horror flics? Michael Myers? HELLO!!!! What about that episode of Scooby, one of my favorites, that takes place at the sanitarium and the doctor is the one who is mad?

isnt it equally depicted that doctors in insane asylums are the perpetrators of horror and the patients are often the vicitims.

reading this in the article:
    "'From our perspective, you are. You're perpetuating the stigma that people with mental illness are all violent.'"

Oh fer fucks sakes. Thats ridiculous.

And then this:

""For the people who aren't patients, it feeds the stigma that there is something really bizarre about people with a mental illness,"

YES. There IS a lot of things bizarre about those locked in mental wards.

just because you are offended doesnt give you the right to impose your way on others. if i was offended by the idea of a spook house called "The Mental Ward" ( a dumb name to begin with) keep fucking driving.

fucking silly

fucking fucking fucking silly.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:26 am:

to second nate....

pussies.

and im a flamin liberal most of the time.

By kazoo on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:00 pm:

Yes, mental wards are scary, I hated going to visit my father. Yes, people with mental illnesses are scary and can be violent, my grandmother murdered her daughter, a little girl who would have been my aunt. Drowned her in the bathtub.

And its just as unfair that people who do get quality care in hospitals are treated as though they have to be rescued from evil doctors. But mental illness is misundersood on so many levels, and stereotypes do shape peoples perceptions and affect how they treat people.

And I don't think that opening up dialogue and discussing why these things might be offensive is the same thing as imposing your views. The goal, in my opinion, should always be education and never censorship.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

so hyper sensitivity to this sorta of thing is considered "education".

By kazoo on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:38 pm:

Never. I don't think education should be reactionary. But I think discussing why people are offended and how stereotypes shape people's perceptions can be productive. I don't think that holding people accountable if the things that they say help to perpetuate damaging stereotypes is the same thing as, or has to result in censorship.

And I think that people who do make these arguments would be better informed and more effective if they actually listened to people instead of just trying to shut them up. That is probably way too idealistic and probably won't work in most cases anyway...but I think it's better than trying to kid yourself into thinking that getting rid of certain words is all that needs to be done to eliminate prejudice.

By kazoo on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:39 pm:

please excuse my grammar...not sleeping much these days...

By patrick on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:51 pm:

oh yeah, the bad grammar just oozes out there girl.

but this kind of education, in this instance, IS reactionary.

their actions, to me, are akin to bible thumpers knocking on your door because you have a pro-choice sticker on your car in the driveway. granted thats an unlikely scenario, but to me its just as unwanted.

of course homeboy in the article was reponsive and respectful to them, and thats his choice.

i still say he could have come up with a better name to begin with, for attraction purposes, not hyper sensitive to the mentally ill.

By semillama on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

So, you would have no problem with a
    haunted house called "Black Neighborhood"?

By dave. on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:28 pm:

brrrr. . .that would be chillin'.

but ohio trailer park would be fine, wouldn't it?

By patrick on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

don't be silly sem.

By patrick on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:44 pm:

moreover sem...why is ok to make light of the idea of a ghetto...i.e. movies like CB4, Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drink Your Juice in the Hood, The PJ's TV show to name a few? Why is that an acceptable source for humor, based in part on reality. Do you deny that any ghetto, regardless of race can be scary?

If anyone did make a haunted house called as such, it would be a dismal failure simply due to its stupidity. So why the double standard? I can't imagine this guys haunted house called "The Mental Ward" will be a hit. Its sounds generic and silly.

By spunky on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

it does, but with only 2 or three in the area, there is not much to choose from.
    That is one thing I miss about KC, there are at least 8:

The Edge of Hell
    The Beast
    Catacombes
    Fear
    Transilvania
    Dr Dreadly's
    Main Street Mourge
    Nightmares...

By eri on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:54 pm:

You would be surprised how many people will go to the "haunted houses" and pay $65 to go through two houses and get a free white t-shirt with the name of one of the haunted houses on it. They sound lame, but are a big rage in Kansas City. I thought the same thing until I actually went to one and had an absolute blast. The thing is that I have gone to them so many times that they have lost their novelty and I get bored. So I haven't actually gone in one in a while, but they are very popular. They are fun, especially if you are drunk or high when you go in. You laugh your ass off. I scream like a freak and scare the shit out of everyone else I am with because I am screaming already so they don't see anything coming.

It sounds lame, but it really can be fun. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hit, assuming this guy did it right and it isn't all talk.
    "The Mental Ward" doesn't sound any worse than "Dr. Deadly's Haunted Hospital".

By Nate on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:11 pm:

or "Transilvania"

christ. are they making fun of romanians?

By Platypus on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:25 pm:

speaking as someone who lives in a black neighborhood...

By patrick on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 11:26 am:

whats a mourge?

Is that some sorta French spook house?

By heather on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

kc's got some spelling issues

By heather on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

kc's got some spelling issues

By heather on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

i have some posting issues...

By spunky on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 04:03 pm:

By sarah on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

hi heather. how are you doing these days, besides grouchy? what is new?

By patrick on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 05:45 pm:

i love the word "grouchy".

it says "you're being an ass" only with affection.

By heather on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 10:20 pm:

hi!

i am being slow to answer email

forgive me

i am in the market for a job while at the same time hoping that i don't find it until after christmas

By dave. on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 11:00 pm:

i can barely comprehend not having to work until after christmas . . . or even thanksgiving . . . without it all falling so completely apart. no wonder you rarely complain.

By heather on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

i have a job, dave.

but i don't have much to complain about except for a lot of driving

By sarah on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 01:46 pm:

i use the word "fussy" a lot, to sort of imply the same thing as "grouchy".

By dave. on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

oh. well ha ha then.

By Gee on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

I went to Screemers on Halloween.

Five haunted attractions in one place. It was so neat! They had this guy with a big chain saw, and there was this man who appeared out of no where (because he was all in black against black) and people chasing you down the halls screaming at you to GET OUT! and trap doors banging! HEE! I giggled like a little girl.

my roommate cried. That was actually the funniest part, upon reflection. Our other friends saw her crying and got all sympathetic and "Poor baby!" and I just stood there giggling.

I knew she'd laugh about it later. :D

By Dont matter on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:02 pm:

By trace on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:33 am:

I just think they are sucking the fun out of everything.
    It is nice the way it was handled, and yes, the complaining party even made a new sign for the haunted house, and it was probably fun for them to make the sign, but good grief.
    We had Dr Deadly's haunted hospital. Why are the doctors not offended?
    And If i had no imagination, and i opened a haunted house, I might name it "Hixon Hell House" or "The Hixon House" for Pete's sake..

Hmmmmm Well lets see here My Aunt Owned that place and if i rember it was Kansas city`s Number 1 Haunted House untill they closed it down. yah thatts what i rember.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact