The UK's "Test Your IQ" site

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: The UK's "Test Your IQ" site
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 10:29 am:

The US is now copying the UK and conducting an entertaining nation-wide IQ test (in the spirit of fun). I thought it would be neat if we all took the BBC's IQ test here -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/testthenation/takethetest/

It's UK-centric: It will prompt you for your location (UK sites only, so pick your favorite region) and salary (in pounds), and some of the questions involve metric measurements.

Standard Spider Disclaimer:

1) "real" IQ tests are much, much longer and much more involved than these web tests, and are scored by psychologists trained to interpret ambiguous answers -- the results from the website's test may not be your "actual" IQ...

2)"Actual" IQ is a fluid concept. No one even agrees on one definition of intelligence.

But, hey, we'll be able to compare ourselves to each other! These are my results:

IQ -- 133
    Language -- 12/12
    Memory -- 12/12
    Logic -- 22/22
    Numbers -- 8/12
    Perception -- 10/12

By Spider on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 10:32 am:

This page shows the breakdown of results by variable group. It's interesting. For example, the non-drinkers who filled out the test had a lower average IQ than those who drank a little or a lot.

(The problem is, of course, the charts don't show sample size and standard deviation, so we can't tell if these differences in groups are statistically significant.)

By Spider on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 11:58 am:

Come on....someone has to do better in the numbers section than I have...

By patrick on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

Language 12/12
    Memory 10/12
    Logic 16/22
    Numbers 7/12
    Perception 4/12

Damn. Some questions i just need 5 more seconds.

By patrick on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 01:25 pm:

ok.

much better

language 11/12
    memory 12/12
    logic 17/22
    numbers 10/12
    perception 10/12

By Spider on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

You can't take it again! :Þ

Don't worry about your first lower score -- because the online tests are so short, each question is worth more, so if you miss one, your score is lowered considerably.

I know my "real" IQ, and it's higher than my online score, so your "real" IQ is probably higher than yours too. (The *first* one -- taking the test again is cheating, little goose!)

By patrick on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

i dont see why not.

is fairness an indicator of intelligence? i see opportunism as a sign of intelligence, no?

By Spider on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

Hehehe. Okay, why not?

By eri on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 02:49 pm:

OK, I am not going to cheat and take it again, cuz that would be wrong....at least to me, even though I know I would score higher.

Language 9/12
    Memory 10/12
    Logic 18/22
    Numbers 5/12
    Perception 9/12

I know that I would score higher on Language, memory, numbers and perception with a couple of seconds longer, but hey, they put that time limit there for a reason, I guess, so why bother trying again?

By semillama on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

IQ 122

Language 11/12
    Memory 12/12
    Logic 21/22
    Numbers 7/12
    Perception 9/12

By The Watcher on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 01:18 pm:

I'll have to take it from home. Rats!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact