the things I do for Rupert, by George W. Bush

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: the things I do for Rupert, by George W. Bush
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlf on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:39 am:

from the Washington Post:

the short and skinny, if you dont want to read the whole thing. Bush doesnt give solo interviews to american newspapers, but gave an exclusive to a British tabloid not unlike the National Enquirer.

Noone could figure out why, however once people figured out the paper was owned by Rupert Murdoch, well, things fell right into place.

I dont really care, but its hilarious Bush's handlers didnt go out and do some research ahead of time.

Prez in Topless Tabloid
    London Paper Nabs Rare Bush Exclusive
    By Dana Milbank
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, November 15, 2003; Page C01

President Bush has gone down-market.

After coming to office with a vow to restore dignity to the White House, the president yesterday took a brief sabbatical from that effort: He granted an exclusive interview to a British tabloid that features daily photographs of nude women and articles akin to those found in our own National Enquirer

Press secretary Scott McClellan broke the news yesterday with nonchalance. "Good morning," he told reporters. "The president had his usual briefings this morning and just recently completed an interview with the Sun, for a discussion of his upcoming visit to the United Kingdom."

A British journalist for a more highbrow outlet was not about to let that slip by unnoticed. "Just to clarify," he asked, "why has the president chosen to do an interview with the Sun? It's a newspaper which publishes daily pictures of topless women."

Such comments are grossly unfair to the Sun. True, its Page 3 is devoted daily to photographs of women and their breasts. True, it this week named "classy Krystle, the beautiful brunette babe" as this year's "Page 3 Idol" and amply displayed evidence of what it called her "vital statistics of 32C-24-33."

But the Sun is so much more than breasts. It is also reporting this week on a woman who is "made of two women" and "is NOT the biological mother of two of the children she conceived and had naturally." Other news items highlighted on the Sun's Web site: "Man begins 12-day sausage, bean and chip bath to promote Brit food," "German saboteurs plotted to bomb Palace with peas in WW2, files reveal," and "Sobbing islanders say sorry to the ancestor of minister eaten by natives."

Bush, meanwhile, has given no solo interviews this year to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Time or Newsweek. And he hasn't given an exclusive interview in his entire presidency to the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Boston Globe and dozens of other major publications.

So why did Bush choose the tabloid that last raised international attention by publishing topless pictures of Prince Edward's fiancee? It's because the Sun has huge, uh, circulation. "It has a large readership," McClellan said. Indeed, about 3.5 million Britons are said to buy it each day -- all of them, of course, for the articles.

And the Sun is far from the raunchiest of tabloids on fetid Fleet Street. "You should've seen the ones we declined," McClellan said.

Word on Fleet Street is it's an obvious payoff to the Sun's owner, Rupert Murdoch, the conservative publisher behind many Bush-friendly news outlets such as Fox News. Officials at the White House acknowledge that it was a reward to the Sun for its unstinting support of the United States regarding the war in Iraq. (The Sun's pro-Bush stance also got it an interview with Vice President Cheney in late 2001.) But Bush aides also said it was done on the recommendation of Tony Blair, Britain's Labor Party prime minister, who has worked hard to bring the Sun away from its Tory Party roots.

The White House said the interview will appear Monday -- on the eve of Bush's arrival in London -- and far away from Page 3. The interview was conducted in Washington by the Sun's political editor, Trevor Kavanagh, who on Monday penned an article titled "Bush Shows Tax Cuts Can Boost Economy."

Bush often gives foreign media outlets interviews before heading on a trip; this time, he also had a BBC interview and a roundtable with three more sober British outlets, the Financial Times, the Telegraph and the wire service Press Association. But an exclusive interview for a newspaper is a high honor, and the Sun's tabloid rivals are smarting. The Daily Mirror's front page yesterday included the headline "BUSH OFF" and stated: "Mirror poll reveals Britain thinks President is threat to world peace and not welcome here." The Mirror opposed the Iraq war.

Even in the colonies, Bush's Sun interview is bound to create jealousies. His only other one-on-one interviews with print publications this year have been with USA Today, Leaders magazine and Sports Illustrated.

After McClellan's bombshell at yesterday's briefing, this correspondent asked whether the other publications present would get Bush interviews if they ran nude photos. "I hope you're not talking about yourself," McClellan replied.

By dave. on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:24 pm:

http://www.interwebnet.org/

one guy there makes a good point: if there's such a concern about terrorist activity as a result of the visit to britain, maybe he should stay home. it's rather disgraceful for bush to go to such great lengths to protect himself while exposing the britons to potential terrorist attacks. i mean, can't they just do a videoconference? wtf, mate?

By Rowlf on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 09:32 am:

since when did Bush care about risking other peoples lives?

By dave. on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:39 am:

i wonder how much this shit's gonna cost the taxpayers. on either side of the pond.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

That's a great site, Dave.

By wisper on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

I love this pic

Bush is all like "HAHAHAHA! I'M SO FUNNY!"
    And Charles is just like "What the bloody hell is wrong with you?"

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact