Sunday NY Times, Metro Section, page 39

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: Sunday NY Times, Metro Section, page 39
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Sunday, October 8, 2000 - 05:45 pm:

The picture in the middle of the page.

That's me with the sunglasses and the smirk in the midground. My brother's the tall boy with the shaggy hair in front of me. In the foreground are my first cousin once removed Carrie, my first cousin Linnie, my second cousin Cara, and my uncle Kent. My aunt Anne is hidden behind Carrie.

In the background by the church are (I think) my uncle Jim, my aunt Beth, my uncle John, my cousin Mark, my aunt Martha, and someone who may be my mother.

I learned this weekend that my entire family is crazy and yet still rocks.

I also learned that Aaron Burr lived in my grandfather's house at the time that he dueled with Alexander Hamilton.

By droopy on Sunday, October 8, 2000 - 06:34 pm:

damn. there's no way i'd ever be able to find a sunday nyt. besides, i've got to start cooking dinner.

i think my mother's in nyc right now.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 12:41 pm:

Ah, well. You missed your chance. :)

By J on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 03:11 pm:

Darn it I wish I saw it,you've been awfully quiet lately:)

By agatha on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 07:24 pm:

i tried to look, but i couldn't find it. bah.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 08:12 pm:

I've been working. For a man, but not The Man. He's a nice man, too. I like him. And actually, he's pretty close to The Man. So there you go.

The article in the paper was about my big-ass family reunion that was held around Washington Square during Columbus day weekend. 140 of us greezy guineas crawled out of the ditches and showed up. We are all descended from my great-grandfather and his 7 siblings, so everyone there was pretty closely related.

One of my cousins (third cousin...his grandfather and my grandfather are first cousins and have the same name) is a trumpet player in a popular band. Popular enough that I've seen 3 of their videos on MTV. Anyway, he and his wife just had a baby son -- the newest member of the family and the sixth person (just counting those alive) to bear that name. What's cool is that my grandfather always wanted to play the trumpet when he was a kid but was never allowed. So now he can, vicariously, through his namesake.

My grandfather refused to go to the reunion. He would have gotten to see his siblings, probably for the last time. His sister Anna, who's 84, cried when we told her he wasn't coming. And there's few things as upsetting as watching an old woman cry. Except watching an old man cry.

Ack. I have to go.

By Cat on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 08:17 pm:

I love the story of the reincarnating trumpet playing thing.

But why didn't your Grandfather go to the reunion? I can smell a family saga somewhere, and there's nothing I like better than a tale of intrigue and bad-mouthing.

By pez on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 11:52 pm:

tell! tell!

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 12, 2000 - 01:34 pm:

Tonight, kids, when I don't have to sneak time on my lunch break to tell the tale....

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 05:10 pm:

There is more than one reason why he wouldn't come. None of the reasons are very juicy, I'm afraid.

1) He's been afraid of flying ever since a man died on one of the flights he took.

2) He has a hard time travelling so far that he can't visit my grandmother's grave every day.

3) He has a long-standing feud with his brother Andrew. Seems that Andrew owed their mother lots of money. When their mother was dying in the 1960s or '70s, Andrew turned up at her house unexpectedly. He was alone with her in her bedroom when she died, and when he came out of the room, he told everyone that her last words to him were something along the lines of "you don't need to pay back the money." My grandfather thought he was a lying bastard, and he hasn't spoken to Andrew since.

My grandfather also won't speak to his brother Joe, but I don't know the story behind that.

I do know that Joe was kidnapped by the infamous Black Hand Gang when he was a toddler in the 1920s...here's a nice story...

My great-grandfather was a baker (his bakery was on Sullivan St. across from the church of St. Anthony of Padua). The Black Hand (early mafia) hit him up for protection money and when he refused to pay, they took Joe. The story goes that my great-grandfather said they could keep Joe because he wasn't about to pay them the ransom money. But they gave him back after a week or so.

They had also (previously, I think) kidnapped my grandfather's cousin Frank. Frank was older than Joe when it happened...he might have been around 8 or 9. I've read old newspaper clippings that said that the Black Hand kept Frank for several weeks in a freezing basement, barely fed him, and then finally dumped him by the entrance to the Williamsburg Bridge. Frank (thanks to his bright mind, according to the newspapers) was able to lead the police to his kidnappers and they were caught. Frank also died fairly young, which our family attributes to his ordeal. People say he never got over it, the poor little boy.

I have tons of stories about my family which I'll mercifully spare you. It was really neat going to the reunion because I got to hear new stories, and now I better appreciate how cool my family really is.

By pez on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 06:32 pm:

mafia!

By patrick on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 07:35 pm:

she's from PA, she's italian

yep

Mafioso

i know a couple of blokes, from PA, italian as can be....Lucchese's

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 07:42 pm:

No, idiots, that story demonstrated that my family rebelled against the mafia.

The IRA, now...

By patrick on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 11:57 am:

crap spider, can't you just humor our mafioso delusions...

By Gee on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 04:52 pm:

we have many newspapers in the library I work in. I'm going to look you up, Rhiannon.

By J on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 05:19 pm:

If you get it will you post it?And Gee,I missed you:)

By Freddy Breggazzi on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 09:28 am:

ciao

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact