35mm negatives.

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: 35mm negatives.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By lapis on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 08:42 pm:

i'm finding myself wanting to begin half a dozen threads again. i miss being able to spend half the day (nearly literally) here.

instead, i'm doing one big poopy. right here. right now.

debi's death was nearly a month ago, bringing so many aquaintences and friends of friends together and i'm still feeling that. the closeness. it's nice. i don't see as much of it as some, living way up in northeast and working all the time, but it's there.

it got me to start talking, anyway.

two days ago i got a flat, which i found after going down the driveway to go to the library. our driveway is steep; it was the front tire. nearly wrecked. my hand is still healing from my last accident.

so yesterday i walked. running errands, the library, went to a friend's home to play risk 2210ad (nearly won, but was overtaken in the very last turn during year five) and began a scarf for my grandmother.

after all that, i called dan.

dan's the one i've been gushing over recently. it's quite strange to find myself pursuing a relationship but here i am. he's a fellow cyclist here, and i found his blog when searching for comments on the dance team. i'd see him all the time for awhile, just walking around the neighborhood so i knew he lived nearby but never really spoke to him more than a hello.

i love spending time with him. i get to flex my brain and we talk about all sorts of things and sometimes that's just what a person needs. he's sweet and silly and creative.... and a lot older than me. that's taking some getting used to.

so anyway, we went ghost hunting last night. i'd told him about this website called ghosts of north portland (turn you volume down if you clicky) and he got pretty into it. so we went to the library and waited to hear the ghostly footsteps you're supposed to hear late at night. we sat on the steps at the east side of the library. there's a funeral home across the street and a burnt out masonic temple a little ways south. the leaves were falling and skittering down the street and i'd jump at every little sound and huddle down close in the cold.

we didn't hear the footsteps, but that was okay.

we parted ways, i went home and slept. i had this really weird dream about sorabji. the message board changed and all the old stuff was still here but everything was all bright and we had to log in.

this morning i started archiving all my negatives. i knew i had a few, taking pictures here and there (some negatives are eight years old) but it's ended up to being nearly a hundred rolls, mostly rolled in canisters and taken in the last two years.

i'm going to scan all of them and make prints of a few and try for a show at this gallery some friends of mine run. maybe just some wallspace or something. i don't know. i'm thinking about moving far far away and it would be nice to be able to do something like that before i do.

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 09:51 pm:

Where is you movin' to?

By lapis on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:20 pm:

possibly denmark.

but that would be at least six months from now.

and i've been telling everyone that i'm just going to visit. i don't know. i have cousins there but that's all i've got.

but if i've got dan here, i don't know if i'll go or not. it's still new. it's been real slow.

i've been thinking about having a potlach, giving away most of my belongings and storing the rest at my parents' home. i have too many possesions and it would be extremely liberating if i could, to make myself, though, is another matter.

it would mean quitting my job, packing up, cleaning up, closing up shop. archiving everything. getting rid of my tons of books and music and just general doodads and things.

i threw away a box of stuff yesterday. it took me half an hour and felt great. i've never been one to throw things away. it can be recycled or reused or if there's a snowball's chance in hell i might want it again, i have a tendency to keep.

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:55 pm:

I've been doing that for the last month. Doing it right now, in fact. I'm moving just to move, from the duplex I've been renting for the past three years to a room in an old friend's house.

Not five minutes ago I finished clearing out my garage. I actually finished something. :)

I brought at least ten boxes of books to the used bookstore, went through all of my old boxes of knicknacks (six big boxes) and if an item didn't evoke an immediate emotional response...BAM right in the hopper.

Last night some friends of my mom took my sofa, love seat, and a marble coffee table.

I'm down to only furniture I can take in the back seat of my Honda. I dig being liberated of STUFF.

By dave. on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 10:58 pm:

me jealous. stuff overload.

By TBone on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:14 pm:

Me too. Moving out of the country would be a great excuse to get rid of stuff.

By lapis on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:18 pm:

nice.

my goal is to be able to carry my belongings on my back and in two hands.

one of which is taken by saxophone. i'm thinking of selling my beginner flute and getting a bigger case.

By lapis on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:25 pm:

i just thought of this the other day, hyped up on caffeine, talking to dan. the next day i started thinking.... oh no.

but these last few days seem to point out how great of an opportunity it would be. i'm still young and though i've had the same job for a long time, i could do so many other things. i've got family in denmark and i could probably stay with them for awhile.

plus with the reelection, leaving is sounding awfully tempting.

the more i talk about it, the more i clean, the more i want to actually do it.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 01:25 am:

Do it. You won't regret it.

By lapis on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 10:13 am:

i just looked at the danish website.

it seemed kindof confusing, at least the wording on the information i specifically need.

i need to get in touch with my aunt. she's got contact information for the cousins.

e is my father's second cousin. her mother attempted to immigrate to the united states from norway about 40, 50 years ago with the help of my grandparents. unfortunately elizabeth's father was in jail and he protested. so they stayed.

years later, e moved to denmark. she has three sons, one of whom has spent some time here in portland. that was pretty neat.

i need to figure out if my passpost is still valid and start applying for a visa, work permits and residence permits.

By kazu on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 10:19 am:

e's got a good name

By lapis on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:06 pm:

it's the same as yours, actually.

By kazu on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:07 pm:

yes, I know.

By lapis on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:20 pm:

i don't remember her sons' names-- at least not all of them-- but the one who came to visit is named helge. pronounced hell-i-ah. nordic names are rad-ass.

By TBone on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:23 pm:

If he was my friend, I'd call him Hell-Yeah.

By kazu on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:24 pm:

nice.

i just thought it was cute that you used the
    letter *e* twice and still said elizabeth once.

By kazy on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:27 pm:

if he were my friend I would sing to him in my best
    whitegirl flat falsetto

*HEYYYYYEAH, HEYYYY--YEAH!!!

By lapis on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:28 pm:

i was deleting....

oops.

ah well.

i'm thinking about going into an old habit of mine of only using the first letter.

yeah, i would too.

By kazu on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:29 pm:

i meant to add L's into that.

and make it sound like the outkast song

in the worst whitegirl flat falsetto you
    have ever heard

By lapis on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 08:49 pm:

would you stick your arms straight out in front and wiggle your fingers too?

that would be fuh-neee.

once i finish this row i've gotta wash dishes. been putting it off too damn long.

By kazu on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 09:00 pm:

yes. that's what i did when they played that song
    at my friend's wedding.

By lapis on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 09:08 pm:

yay!

i am a hugest fan of the jazz hands. spirit finger thingy.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact