Grey......lots of grey......

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: Grey......lots of grey......
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:36 pm:

OK, so busy weekend, insanely busy, and busy week coming up.

Gotta get the regular chores done, drive my cousin to/from her job, pick up kids, etc. And my regular weekly load of work around here is overwhelming.

Gotta make cousins dress for wedding this weekend, take in Hayley's dress, add shoulder straps and hem my dress. Sewing machine, hope it works.

Gotta get house white glove clean (hard considering I have a house full of total pigs), as family will be coming into town starting on Thursday, and all weekend.

We're working on the wiring outside this house for the reception party in the back yard, and the fact that the place is well below code (for the stuff added outside). The guys are working on the outside wiring, trying to safely disconnect it all and buy us some time before we re-do the whole thing from start to finish. I get a phone call......

Looks like one side of my family won't be able to make it. Or at least most of them. My Aunt Chris is not doing well. She is diabetic. She has had 3 kidney transplants (at least I know about that stuff after working in the state kidney transplant clinic). That all happened when I was a kid myself, but now I understand it. Because of her having to be on immunosuppresent drugs for life, she wound up getting cancer (didn't know anything in detail just that). Of course, this pretty much gives her a death sentence, but the timeframe is still open. So yesterday as the guys were working on the wiring, I got this call. Aunt Chris is in the ICU. Had lung failure. Not really any details.

So after a day of searching I got ahold of my uncles cell phone number. I trip on this because he is so young. I know Aunt Chris is older than he is, but he's only like 45ish. I think that's right, that he's 13 years older than me, but I might be off a year or two, either way, he's young and she's still relatively young.

I get in touch with him tonight. Aunt Chris is in the ICU. She has a viral pneumonia. The cancer is Leukemia. They cannot find the source of the pneumonia. Naturally they cannot treat her by normal methods, because she has NO immune system. But they don't know what caused this. They're checking to see if her cancer is spreading, if it is an unusual strain of viral pneumonia, all of that fun stuff.

Of course my uncle was dumbfounded that I was able to keep up and ask real questions that were helpful and inisghtful, but the last time I saw him in person was in 1993 when my other uncle got married. I think it trips him out that I am a woman in my 30's cuz the last time I saw him was a teenager.

So the outlook is not good, but we are all hoping that it will buy her a little time, and that it might not be too painful at the end. I think right now every member of my Dad's family is saving their plane ticket money for a funeral instead of a wedding/re-wedding/whatever.

OK, I have vented now. And I am wishing good luck and love to my Aunt and Uncle.

And for the record, I am not concerned about how this effects the impending weekend, but I am concerned for them and hope they do not have to suffer through too much. My thoughts and worries are with them, the rest will all work out in the end.

By semillama on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:22 pm:

Good luck to your aunt, Eri, but it would be wise to prepare yourself for her passing. it doesn't sound good.

My aunt Nancy died from brain cancer on Friday. She previously had cancer elsewhere last year, which she went through chemo for. The chemo was so bad for her, she swore if she got cancer again, she'd refuse treatment. Well, they found the tumor a couple months ago, and she really started going south in the last couple of weeks. Started mistaking some of her relatives for other, older relatives (my cousin for her sister, my dad for her older brother). She went into a coma on Thursday and she was gone on Friday.

So, hoping that if your aunt has a terminal prognosis, she can go quick and without pain.

By eri on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 03:53 pm:

Thank you. They aren't giving her any prognosis per se right now, but we all have that feeling. It's the beginning of the end.

I am sorry to hear about your aunt as well. I went through that with my Grandfather when I was pregnant with Hayley. He got to the point where he was seeing things as well. It turned into a horrible nightmare. I'm hoping that your aunt didn't have to go through that much, and maybe the coma made it a little easier...

And hoping that something similar happens when it is my aunts time.

By eri on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:24 pm:

Update. They found the source of the infection. She has a Staph (sp?) infection. They are going to give her antibiotics for it. They also (by accident) found the source of her neurological problems and why she can't walk anymore. She had an accident 2 years ago and they found a part of her spine pushed in and pinching her spinal cord and it is all swollen and weird. They might be able to do surgery on it, but she has to get rid of the staph infection first.

So basically my uncle is now all hopeful that she will be fine soon, but my aunts who have been helping him or talking to him are thinking that it looks like false hope and that he is clinging too it too tightly.

They were afraid that I would be upset cuz they are all taking turns going out to help out my uncle and won't be able to get out here this weekend. I told them that I was not concerned at all, and that it is far more important that they be with him than with me right now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact