counting...

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: counting...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By la pez on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:45 am:

it's friday.

day six of the freezing winter weather, our longest snap i can remember. it's snowed every day, sometimes sticking and sometimes melting to be refrozen into sheets of ice.

yesterday it was slush. i stepped out of the big pink en route to my next address.... interesting. step forward, transfer weight/boot would slip back a couple millimeters (not something you'd see, but feel), lift back foot. repeat.

wanna stay warm? stay inside. can't stay inside? STOP WHINING. suvs slipping on the ice, drivers (still?) talking on cell phones. yes, it's true, portlanders (and by portlanders i mean dumbasses from wherever they come from, true portlanders are rare) can't drive in this stuff. it's embarrassing and dangerous.

i'm getting ready to catch the bus to work, half dressed and already almost entirely covered. i'm managing to wear wool socks for the first time in ages, by wearing sock liners underneath. certainly warmer than cotton. it'd be a lot easier if i could manage to ignore the itching and just wear the stuff.

By Dougie on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:17 pm:

It's snowing here. Huge big flakes, and you can hear them landing on the trees. So beautiful and quiet out.

By Danielssss on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 01:51 pm:

cold rainy nasty icy stuff but warming tonight and into the fifties on friday (when I am writing this, is s 42 f and windy as hell, but the sun is trying to come out. Someone told me it is supposed to be like 7 tomorrow morning. No snow here, but last night when i slipped off to sleep, the ice was coming down. Afew hours later is springtime for a day.

By Spider on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 06:14 pm:

It's snowing like a small son of a bitch here. They're predicting a foot of snow, but by the drifts on my porch railing, I'd say it's up to only three inches so far.

I hear children shouting outside and a police siren. More ominously, I do not hear the sound of our heating system. Last year, the heat broke for a couple of days and it was miserable inside.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:48 pm:

Well, we had a sleet of ice/snow, so it was nast morning, drove to laundromat and got real pissed off, cuz, there isn't a hot water to wash the clothes.

By jaq on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 01:34 am:

so what did you do?

and then what happened?

By Karla on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 04:41 pm:

It's 75 and sunny here.

By la pez on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:19 pm:

day eight.

snow's accumulated to a foot in places. went out last night on bikes (two miles took half an hour and they way back we stuck to arterials) and built a five foot tall snow penis with large balls and a fern frond sticking out the top. lots of drinking and shrieking and we knocked each other over and dived in the snow.

today the co-op had almost no bread.

biking is impossible except for major roads that are getting some traffic. i don't mind walking, seeing as i do it all the time. buses still run, but the switches on the trains have frozen so they're running shuttles.

so far we've maintained our sanity. some have, anyway.

my friends (gabelotom) who live a half-mile due south got chickens a week and a half ago, little balls of fluff about a month old. in the coop with a 150 watt for warmth. yesterday morning they awoke to 20-foot flames and put it out with buckets filled in the bathtub and kitchen sink. no trace of peeps in the embers. the first casualties of the snow.

By Antigone on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 01:54 am:

By la pez on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 10:15 am:

day nine, ten after six: more fluffy white flakes are coming down & i'm preparing for the trek & bus to work.

garden boxes nearly buried. mountain bike leaning against garden box is barely recognizable.

By la pez on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:44 pm:

day nine, eight thirty. slogged half a mile to bus stop, called trimet, nearest bus 5 miles away. got coffee from the gas station, called work. work cancelled. slogged home and fed the chickens (the door on their coop won't open all the way so i couldn't grab the two eggs in the box).

emptied pockets.

phone is missing.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact