I hate beautiful people...

sorabji.com: Have you ever been lonely?: I hate beautiful people...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 01:43 am:

...but I want to be one. I was just at a party, hangin' out with friends. There was a woman there who I'm sort of interested in, but every time another friend of mine (thin, chiseled type guy) came around she'd pay attention to him and basically ignore me. Goddammit! Fuck!

I want to lose alot of weight. I'm 6'4", 260. Pretty muscular, but technically obese by today's health standards. (BMI) I'm on my way to being a svelte 200, but that's the least of my problems. What I'm afraid of is that, if I get there, (svelteness, ya know) I'll be supremely bitter. If a woman is attracted to me, will I hate her for it? I can see myself thinking, "Would you be remotely interested if I wasn't 6'4" and 200lb? Would you even give a shit about me if I was my old self?" Especially if any of the current women I like are interested! I can just see myself totally bitter and isolating myself from any possibility of dating, let alone a relationship. But I can see no other course. I've come to accept that it's a fucking meat market out there. It doesn't mean shit if you're a nice guy! Fuck that! It even hurts your chances because you get your head kicked in the second you show any weakness. And, if you're sensative AND overweight... you don't have a chance in hell.

Alright, I've had my rant. I've learned my lesson. Women don't want sensative men. They want assholes. They want good looking assholes. Well, I'm getting the asshole part down. In a year I'll have my weight under control. Then maybe women will want me. But I'll hate myself...

By ana on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 01:56 am:

it's true

but you won't hate yourself

it will be hard to remember

and you'll have to be careful

By J on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 02:01 am:

Don,t you think like that...shame on you,Antigon.that,s what I like about you,you are honest and good.just be yourself,be honest

By Gee on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 02:53 am:

Sometimes I'm attracted to jerks. I really don't know why, but I always hate myself for it. The good part is it only lasts a short while and then I start to come to my senses. It's harder to get Into "nice" guys, but once I do I'm really hooked.

Not that boys should complain. You all seem to want the girls who don't want you. And then as soon as they Do want you, you don't want Them anymore. (if that made any sense)

By Rhiannon on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 10:45 am:

"You all seem to want the girls who don't want you. And then as soon as they Do want you, you don't want Them anymore."

Yeah! And girls are the same way...which is why they like jerks who don't like them.

Life sucks.

By Cyst on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 02:41 pm:

antigone -

when you weigh what you want to weigh, you probably won't care if the girls who talk to you would have ignored you previously.

at least for me, it doesn't even occur to me to wonder if some guy would have liked me four years ago when I weighed 40 pounds more.

are you one of those overweight guys who only like thin girls? if you lose weight, will you only pursue those who are also svelte?

I used to be sort of chunky and I thought that my excess weight was my worst problem. that if I lost weight then everyone would like me a lot. I liked to think that I could make everything better, only if I tried.

except now, instead of being a really positive thing, being thin only makes clothes shopping fun. it's reassuring to know that I can go to the store and buy a pair of jeans that I like, but it's not a big life-changing thing.

beautiful people are annoying. last night, as I have mentioned at least twice already, I went out with this chick friend of mine. yeah, she's cute. but she has this bizarre sense of entitlement about it. like, she did not want to pay for drinks.

it is so fucking ridiculous to go into some stupid swanky bar and sit there and wait for men to approach us for the privilege of buying us drinks. which didn't even happen, not once. and we didn't deserve it anyway.

it was so fucking juvenile. we'd go into some bar, and she would talk about "the scenery" and "the talent." which would have made me giggle at age 21, but now I can't really even pretend to join in about that.

at least she was really nice to the guys who did talk to us, even if they weren't her type, whatever that may be.

By heather on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 06:33 pm:

segue...

not that relevant to the topic but...

this summer i went for lunch with both of my grandmothers (94 and 89) and my mother. some guy at the next table paid for us when he left, his friend came over to tell us.

besides, we all know that there's 'nice guy' and 'jerk' in everyone. and when you meet someone you go by your first impressions, which, other than being instinctual (a word?) are visual.

By J on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 11:39 am:

260 pounds for a six foot 4 inch man doesn,t sound bad to me.in fact it sounds real good,plus I just like how sweet Antigone seems.When you get to where yu feel comfortable with yourself Antigone,remember Janny liked you when you weren,t.Weight makes people crazy,when I was real skinny at least I knew people liked me for me,now they just look at my face,then my tits and they don,t listen to a word I say.It hurts my feelings.

By Agatha on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 12:05 pm:

i nearly always go for the nice guys. then again, i've been told i am not normal.

By J on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 02:25 pm:

You are smart Agatha,hows Dave? Antigone is a nice guy,wonder if he,d like my daughter? I,d do just about anything to get her away from the creep she is shacking up with,now Amee tells me Heather is getting meth for the jackass,does the torture ever stop?

By Agatha on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 04:55 pm:

dave's doing just fine. that sounds like a horrible situation. i don't know what i would do if cleo got involved with somebody like that, i would probably have to kill him or have him disposed of. takes two to tango, however, there must be something going on with your daughter if she is attracted to a guy like that.

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, October 12, 1999 - 12:18 am:

probably the meth, sorry to say

By Agatha on Tuesday, October 12, 1999 - 12:01 pm:

i'd have to agree.

By J on Tuesday, October 12, 1999 - 12:16 pm:

It,s our shitty D.N.A.,plus poor Heather has had a hard road to hoe,she had severe speach problems,I started having her tested and got her speach therorpy when she was 3,she had to wear leg braces for 2 years,and she was always the out-cast in school,by the time she got in high-school she was already whipped.She is also learning disabled,so had been in special-ed since 3,rd grade.I found a special school and paid 7 thousand dollars out of our lifesavings to help her,then I realized the State would pay for it since her needs were never met in public school.She just blossomed there and in her own way,she is very bright and creative.The school is called New Way,anyway her first love Jason,she met him there,he worshipped her and I really lked him too,but Heather was always bossing him around and he finally dumped her and moved in with a girl,shortly after that she hooked up wih the turd.He teaches music at an alternative school,I have a half a mind to report him.Last week they came to the party my husbands job had,the asshole is only 1 year younger than me,but he looks a lot older than me,he had the nerve to call me mom,I could have shit right there.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 12, 1999 - 10:28 pm:

Sorry about your daughter, J. I laughed when you said, "Antigone is a nice guy,wonder if he,d like my daughter? I,d do just about anything to get her away from the creep she is shacking up with..." Now, what was that supposed to mean? :-P

But, really, your daughter's current situation sounds really crappy. I hope she can dump this guy. But it seems that disapproval doesn't work that well to sway people's decisions. I know it hasn't worked with me. At the party on saturday I told two of my friends that I was thinking of breaking up with my current girlfriend. (former ex) Their reaction was, "Thank god!" Same with my mother, father, aunt, and uncle. Same with just about everyone on this board! And, what am I thinking now. I'm giving it another month to see how things turn out!

Anyway, thanks for everyone's nice words.

Sigh. I was soooo drunk when I posted above. I feel pretty much the same way now, just not as wallowy. I guess that's why I'm eating broccoli and tuna fish while I type this and I worked out twice yesterday.

Cyst - "are you one of those overweight guys who only like thin girls?"

Nah. My current girlfriend (who was not the woman I was interested in saturday night, shame on me!) is rather overweight and I'm attracted to her just fine. (The woman on saturday night was also a bit overweight also, now that I think about it...) I can't say that looks don't sway me, though. Do I gaze at the women in the gym with willowy waists and huge breasts? Sure. Would I date them if they had no personality? Nope. But I've rarely been in the situation to decide, I must admit.

By J on Wednesday, October 13, 1999 - 09:53 am:

Antigone,I guess that did sound kind of tacky the way I worded that.You just seem like a good soul.What mother wouldn,t want her daughter to be happy with a nice guy instead of being miserable with a shithead?You would never know that she had ever had anything wrong with her,she could be a model,but due to her earlier problems she has no self-confidence.I told her the other day,that if she wants to,to move back home.From what Amee says she,s just getting the meth for the creep,and she should know better after what happened to Amee.Amee is a convicted felon for taking $20.00 from a narc for scoring him some weed when she was fucked up on meth,though it was probably a good thing at the time.God I hate that stuff!!! Seriously Antigone if your friends and family don,t care for your girlfriend,they probably have their reasons.I guess love is blind.

By Sarah on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 05:19 am:

i have no problem paying for my own drinks, but i rarely need to. and it's not because i'm beautiful or charming (yeah yeah, shuddup, i know i'm a melodramatic psycho) and i don't feel like i'm entitled to free drinks, but i sure as hell won't turn it down if it's offered and i'm thirsty or looking to get lit.

boys buy girls drinks. that's just how it is.

Antigone, if you lose weight you will just feel better, both in body and mind and spirit. do it for that reason alone. the girls who will come climbing all over you, well that's just icing on the (low-fat) cake, and i have a feeling you won't be feeling anything but stoked. the advantage you have is that you learned to be a nice guy first, and a sexy love muffin later.

but even if you don't lose weight, it's not like you can't be a sexy love muffin. trust me on this one, i know. it's all about attitude. and even though the "beautiful people" might not see it that way, fuck 'em. who gives a flying fuck? let them have their own trip and you go on your way. word.

hmmmm, i wonder if having my plastic surgery fund now officially makes me a hypocrite.

By Cyst on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 09:53 am:

last night I slept for eight hours, which I rarely do, and this morning I woke up thinking the beeping of my alarm was a message in morse code.

o - o - o - o ?

then I realized what was happening and thought of scenes from "the blair witch project," a movie I saw two or three months ago. I dreamed of it last night but it didn't scare me.

then I remembered that I also dreamed of mark thomas. no relation to the blair witch dream -- none that I can recall, anyway.

the dream mark thomas was really, really nice. he lived in a fancy house and let me and other guests drink his wine, the best I'd ever had. I'd thought that he would go and hide (like on the boards?) but he didn't, he talked to us.

Hey, you might bring a really nice dress or two. Or I'll have to buy you one. Either way. Some of the places I'd like to go for dinner will require a good dress. Or a really hot dress. If you're tall and fucking gorgeous, you can really wear whatever the hell you want to the nicest restaurants, as long as it looks like you put in an effort.

Do bring some stuff in case you decide to let me take pictures of you. I'm sure you'll want to play around with the digital camera, even if I'm not in the room. I have a really, really cool idea for a photo of you if you'll let me do it.

what the fuck am I doing? I called a friend last night, explained my reservations, and he said he was surprised that I cared, didn't think I had any dignity at all left. of course, he's probably just jealous.

yeah.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 12:00 pm:

who or what are you talking to and or about dear Cyst?

guys buy girls drinks guys display peacock feathers, girls play coy and make their decision to pick the best sperm possible

hypocrite sarah? mmmmmmm too strong, slightly conflicting though

By Margret on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 01:27 pm:

Antigone, gotta tell yah: I like a little meat on a man. John Goodman -- within the realm of my type. It's the muscle that makes the difference. I don't like straight up schlubby guys ... excepting J. Mascis, of course (!) ... but a layer of soft flesh over hard muscle is more than a-ok.

By Jinafish on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 02:35 pm:

I liked him in the Big Lebowsky.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 03:14 pm:

thats a great film, we bowl at those lanes all the time,

By J on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 05:18 pm:

Where would that be ? What intersection?

By Waffles on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 05:19 pm:

it's on Santa Monica Blvd. near Normandie..Hollywood Lanes it's called

By Cyst on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 06:46 pm:

w -

part of that was an email message from a guy who's flying me out to see him this weekend. I'm supposed to look good, act nice and tell him everything I want.

he's thinking fancy dinners and stupid nightclubs, and I'm thinking horse betting and gun shooting.

I already told him that I want to learn to shoot a gun this weekend and he said ok. I bet I can get him to take me to the races too.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 06:49 pm:

is this a romantic interest cyst.......or someone you are buying rugs for?

if you are just buying rugs, it's sounds like he has other plans, I hope no one is disapointed, but you do lead a strange life of quid pro quo (is that how you say and spell it?)

By Cyst on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 08:34 pm:

romantic interest on his side. I don't know if "romantic" is the most appropriate word, though.

he says he wants to show me what it's like to have all the money you could ever want. since that's something I know nothing about, I said ok.

I bought a really little outfit. I'm not medium but the dress is.

if there's no real romance in my life, I might as well spend my time playing a part in someone else's fantasy. I guess.

I've started playing the millionaires against each other. it's good. they get cocky about what exactly their wealth can buy. I'll come see you, but you can't make me want you.

I hope someday I learn to do something besides just fuck around.

By Cyst on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 08:37 pm:

the great thing about seeing him after all these phone conversations is that he won't ask me what I'm wearing.

By Agatha on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 10:01 pm:

margret, you would probably like dave. he's that way.

the only men that ever buy me drinks are the ones i am with. i think most men assume i am a lesbian, which is more than okay with me.

By Antigone on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 12:55 am:

Most men assume I'm a lesbian, which confuses the hell out of me.

By Antigone on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 12:57 am:

Most men are lesbians, which confuses the hell out of them.

By Antigone on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 01:15 am:

And, as if on cue...

By J on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 03:32 am:

Agatha,you have to learn to work the crowd. Just be yourself,you have to be kind of accessible though,do you talk to anyone besides Dave? You kind of have to spread yourself around.

By Swine on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 10:26 am:

that's funny.

By Semillama on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 10:42 am:

Oh, man , that fat guy article was too much. I notice he never mentioned that you never see rally fat old people, though. Still, there's a lot to be said for the payoffs of working out, whenyou flex and the miror and see muscles you never thought you had. Which reminds me, I need to get off my ass and start working out again. Nothing as hardcore as I was doing this summer, just to keep at the level I am at. When I can drive freely again, I'll probably join a gym for the convenience of all the equipment.

ON another subject of this thread, Women don't like me to buy drinks for them. What does that mean? Maybe I end up only talking to really egalitarian-minded women.

By Agatha on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 11:42 am:

i know how to work the crowd. i just don't like to. i talk to anyone that will listen to me prattle on.

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 12:22 pm:

why is there no real romance in your life cyst? because of something you hold back or have you become frustarted? I only ask becasue i really like you but at the smae time living this sugar daddy thing seems overall kinda sad....i mean we all shoot the shit and talk about finding our sugar daddy or mama but i think deep down most realize ungrounded that would be....of course osme of the "boys" in west hollywood would disagree.

By Cyst on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 03:16 pm:

I know it won't make me happy but I've never done it before so that's why I'm trying it out.

last night I got my hair cut and the hairdresser asked me what I do, and I tried out the "kept woman" line.

"what?"

I'm. a. kept. woman."

it was a lie. no one has yet offered to pay my rent for me. I'm not actually having any sort of sex with anyone. but I just wanted to see how it sounded to a stranger.

pretty awful, I think.

she didn't ask me anything else.

By Cyst on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 03:21 pm:

anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy someday, but there's no particular reason it has to be now.

I'm just trying not to be too bored.

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 03:58 pm:

Hmmm. Your life sounds very uncomfortable. Uncomforting. Like a bare cement wall. Do you know what I'm talking about?

By heather on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 04:23 pm:

cyst

it would be something, though, for you to show him (people like him) that there's more to you than he ever realized or wanted to know

don't be what he wants, be more

don't hide it

By Lucy Phurre on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 04:42 pm:

I've been a kept woman. It was not what I was looking to do, but it was how it turned out. It actually started to fall apart when he realized that I was with him because I wanted to be with him, and not because of the money, and I was just letting him buy me useless shit because it seemed to make him happy.

It's definitely an experience I'm glad I had, but not one I would like to repeat.

Cyst, you could do this for the rest of your life. It was easy for me, and I'm not nearly as conventionally attractive as you are.
    I think, however, that you will probably get bored with it pretty quickly. The thing is that, when you are a kept woman, he doesn't want you to "be more". He wants a woman who will be his mistress and do nothing else with her life. He doesn't want to know you, you're there to look pretty, and be mindlessly charming.

I think that you are way too smart to be convincing in that role.

Anyway, the upshot is I'm sort of glad I did it. I learned a lot.
    I wouldn't do it again, but then, that's b/c I've learned what I guess I needed to learn from it.

I don't know how helpful this is, but hopefully it gives you a little background.

My only advice to you is read Emma Goldman, if nothing else, as an ironic counterpoint.

By Swine on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 04:55 pm:

now

i wanna

be your dog.

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 05:52 pm:

can i call you bitch

By heather on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 06:04 pm:

shut up

By Swine on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 06:20 pm:

waffles baby, you're more than welcome to drop by and start calling me "bitch" next time you're in the city.

you'd be excellent as a human punching bag.

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 06:33 pm:

now see what I mean........DAMN!! threatening fisticuffs........you gots too much anger man,

By Swine on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 06:36 pm:

bitch.

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 06:39 pm:

float like a butterfly sting like a bee....can I look forward to some pfunk?

By Swine on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 07:03 pm:

3 Q: Are there cases in which it is lawful to kill?
    A: It is lawful to kill when fighting in a just war; when carrying out by order of the Supreme Authority a sentence of death in punishment of a crime; and, finally, in cases of necessary and lawful defense of one's own life against an unjust or annoying aggressor.

4 Q: In what does the misery of the damned consist?
    A: The misery of the damned consists in being for ever deprived of the vision of p-funk and punished with eternal torments in hell.

5 Q: How may I make my funk the p-funk?
    A: Send Swine blank Maxwell XLII90 tapes. He will record and deliver in a timely manner. Or not.

By J on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 11:10 pm:

I,ll have a double of what Swines having,uh cheers

By Semillama on Saturday, October 16, 1999 - 11:40 pm:

Anyone catch Rick James on "The List"? Damn! What happened? Divine Retribution?

By J on Saturday, October 16, 1999 - 11:53 pm:

Some way Sem,I could see you dancing to "Dance to the music"by Sly, it,s all good.

By Cyst on Sunday, October 17, 1999 - 07:18 pm:

I went shooting this weekend. it was fun.

By Semillama on Sunday, October 17, 1999 - 08:45 pm:

Wave your set in the air

I had the revelation today that Swine reminds me of Milk and Cheese.

The comic book characters, not the dairy products.

By My weekend on Monday, October 18, 1999 - 02:37 am:

He told them what she had said, that some men found her pretty, not as a woman but like some exotic bird or cat.

They sort of laughed – how else could they respond? – and she was embarrassed that he had mentioned her at all. She didn’t know how much his worker-friends knew, how much they guessed at.

He had brought her there, clothed her, fed her. He also let her sleep in his bed, where he interrogated her late into the night. Later she couldn’t remember what all he had asked, but imagined his questions were full of “Because why?” She remembered she had wanted to cry.

Although she was worn out by all the questioning, she kept him from seducing her. He might have said he didn’t want to or wasn’t going to. And he even might have meant it. He had fucked his ex-girlfriend -- the one, the real, the always – in the bed the day before.

No one else would ever come close. They had spent their adult lives together, from age 20 to 30. In fact, it was his 30th birthday. She’d been summoned as a distraction to him that weekend. His ex had forgotten and had gone to California to fuck her other lover. He was supposed to take care of her cat, who spent the weekend searching the house for her.

She wasn’t a stand-in for the ex-girlfriend, to whom no one would ever compare, so much as the girl he had fantasized about in high school. Apparently she resembled this girl, who, over the years, had been the muse for about a gallon of his jizz. He said he imagined presenting this gift to her in heaven someday.

In his heaven, she thought, he’d probably want her to drink it.

She ignored his offers and requests. But she let him touch her. She hadn’t slept with anyone in months, and she had forgotten how it felt.

He often spoke of sex in terms of control and domination, and she knew that afterward he would consider her a conquest, regardless of whether she let him fuck her.

But the one who cares the least controls. And who could care less than she did?

She stopped him before she began to feel vulnerable.

In the morning she opened the blinds and pressed herself against the glass.

“Take your shirt off,” he said.

She wanted to show off. And she didn’t care if the neighbors saw, if the whole world saw.

She let him take photos of her Later, in the parking lot of another dress shop, she pulled out the ones she hated the most and gave him the rest.

He said he loved a photo of her face.

“It makes me look like I’ve been abused,” she said.

“Yeah.”

He took her out again. She tried all the sushi he ordered. He said his ex-girlfriend wouldn’t try some of the things he liked, but that night she ate it all. She kept the urchin, which looked and felt like a tongue, at the back of her mouth a long time before she could get it down. He told her she could spit it out if she wanted, but eventually she just swallowed.

They went to get a present his friends had bought for him. Later she told him how she scared his friend’s girlfriend.

“What did you say?”

But she barely said anything to his friends that night. It was too difficult. He spoke for her, hinting that she liked the 19-year-old in the Buddy Holly glasses, that she had “requested him.”

The day before she had spoken so easily with the young boy, who had also been to Paris in March, about the David Hockney exhibit at the Pompidou Center. But that was before she had remembered about sex.

“I didn’t say anything to her.”

She had been standing in a dark hallway with the present, a toy machine gun. The coworker’s girlfriend had turned the corner and had almost run into her. She had scared her.

That day they had gone to a shooting range and she learned how to shoot a .22 calibre at 25 feet. He’d used a bigger gun, of course, and was a better shot. But she was taller and would look scarier in dark hallways.

The next morning he held her down. Both her arms weren’t as strong as one of his. But eventually he let her squirm away.

“If you want me to stop, just say so.” Sometimes she did.

Then she danced for him. She pretended she was the star of a peep show. It was easy; she didn’t correct her vision and couldn’t see him watching her.

He drove fast to the airport in the car he had showed her to drive. She had told him that he was the third guy to teach her how to drive a stick in a college parking lot late at night. To remind him who was in control.

He called that evening and woke her up. He asked if he could show his friends the pictures. She said she didn’t care.

By J on Monday, October 18, 1999 - 10:52 am:

I was feeling better Sat. after my bout with strut throat,took all the Clindamycin,but thought I,d chill for the day,was kind of weak not that it stopped me from drinking the booze.The heat broke and Sunday was just beautiful,a breeze,not a cloud in the sky,I wanted to do something outside.We went to park and swap,I got a brand new copy of Pecker for $8.00,had a few beers,at every stall that sold womens underwear I,d ask them where were they hiding the crotchless panties? It never fails to get a rise out of s/o,and the people who sell the undies.Got this huge round plauqe that looks ancient of angels that I,m going to hang over my mantle.Then went to Mill Ave.,looked around the shops,went to Ziggy,s had a bloody mary,went to Long Wongs,split a pitcher of beer,went to see my mom ,drank 3 beers there,lost my appetite,so we went home,rolled 6 doobies,3 are left this a.m.. Guess what I,m having for breakfast? I woke up Sat. morning with a stale piece of bread in my hand and crumbs on my ass.

By Semillama on Tuesday, October 19, 1999 - 07:33 pm:

Really, cyst, write a book, please? you should be printed and read in small storfront coffeehouses in historic districts or while waiting for a plane late at night in a rural airport, half crazed with the thought the wings are going to fall off the plane

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 19, 1999 - 07:57 pm:

fuck the book, just post the pictures

By Cyst on Tuesday, October 19, 1999 - 09:50 pm:

the photos are awful.

his antagonism toward me is evident.

my self-portraits are so much gentler.

I was wet and not yet dressed, and the room was bright with sunshine.

I told him to scan some in because they're so horrible and honest, but his ex is back in town and he's busy fucking.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:45 am:

I just want to say: That was an incredibly rude thing I said to Cyst up there, comparing her life to a bare cement wall. It's three years late, but I'd like to apologize for that comment.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 11:50 am:

HA! that was so catty of you. like...oh my god.

i want to thank you spider for digging these old threads up.

really, sweetcheeks. i LOOOOOOVE reading what i wrote when i was stupid.

thanks.

i have thought of that quote from Margret about John Goodman many times since I first read it though. Its a fairly groundbreaking notion, at least to me, in this image conscious world we live in.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

When you were stupid?

John Goodman is a bit heavy for my taste, but I do appreciate a large-framed man.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

Speaking of large-framed. My weight has not decreased since that shock discovery a few weeks ago, but the pants that I've got on are now loose on me. I've decided not to pay attention to the scale but to keep working out and just judge my progress/slippage by the way my clothes fit.

That said, I really do have an enormous ass.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

yesterday.

can we see said enourmous ass spider?

(hey theres nothing else going on here, might as well ask.)

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:21 pm:

Just think of a classic "ghetto booty," with some, ummm, fullness on the sides, and there you go.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:26 pm:

AWESOME!

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

Uh, not quite. It's goofy looking.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

you should measure your parts in inches not pounds, spider. muscle is more dense than fat.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:54 pm:

spider you should know by now i don't trust your opinion self in some areas, especially when it comes to body image.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

uh
    self-opinion?

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

That's the weird part, Nate -- I think I've gotten only a little bit smaller. I can't imagine that I could have put on 20 lbs. of muscle in a month. Maybe my heart has become the size of a basketball and all the weight is there.

I'll just wait and see what happens to me.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 02:18 pm:

Btw, Patrick, how can you not trust my self-opinion, when you have no opinion of your own to compare it to?

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

i have an opinion of your description to go on. But its well established you are hard on yourself. 'Ghetto booty' is a great thing. But enough of that.

hey i just downloaded the banned orgy scene from Eyes Wide Shut. Wanna check it out?

HA! I just noticed, on my database that one my UK distributors, their freight forwarder has a contact by the name of Karla Stockhausen. HA! What a hoot!

Im actually quite nervous. Honey Bunny leaves tomorrow. Hence the chatter. I think Im gonna go see the Go Devils tomorrow, a japanese garage band that has a fondness of go go boots, for $3 and drink some beer. I havent seen live music since Sonic Youth back in the summer.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

One of my contacts here is named Kathleen Hanna.

Why is it so quiet? Where is everybody? Why aren't they entertaining me? :Þ

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

she gets to fly on Lufthansa Airlines.

How fucking kuul is das!

Shes flown Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Air France and now Lufthansa.

bitch. Im so jealous. I can wait until we're rich and I can go with her.

We entered The Indie Fashion Awards with some not-for-profit NYC fashion agency and one of her mens garments, for spring 03, yet to be published is one of the finalist. the winner gets a $5000 grant.

If any of you NYCers are interested the show and awards presentation will be at Rush Arts Gallery in NYC, Nov 22nd. The black tie reception will benefit Bottomless Closet organization, a not-for-profit org that provides clothing for indignant women to go on job interviews.

wow, im amazed at the various charities we participate in. in july when we flew up it was for gay immigrants. this time its gets ups for indigent women. cool.

we wont be there this time, obviously, but maybe some of my drunkard brooklynites will be.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

Heh, indignant. Hehehe.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

crap!

indigent

By semillama on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

Where has all my creativity gone?

I have my doubts about the size of spider's ass as well.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:18 pm:

Ah, you're too kind.

My creativity's withered up completely.

Does anyone else feel like we (American society) are on the verge of a catastrophe? I feel like something, some negative force, has been building for a while, and we are about to experience some cataclysmic collapse.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

uh.

yeah.

everything is speeding up, we are bound for some sort of collapse.

its a good time to rediscover acid, perhaps.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:28 pm:

By Spider on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:32 pm:

Probably. I'd need to see hers from the side to say for sure.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:39 pm:

AWESOME!

By kazoo on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

"Does anyone else feel like we (American society) are on the verge of a catastrophe? I feel like something, some negative force, has been building for a while, and we are about to experience some cataclysmic collapse."

oh, if we could only be so lucky....

I inherited my father's flat ass. Luckily, I have a decent set of hips to make up for it.

By Dougie on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

"Does anyone else feel like we (American society) are on the verge of a catastrophe? I feel like something, some negative force, has been building for a while, and we are about to experience some cataclysmic collapse."

Yeah, but I've always felt that way.

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 05:46 pm:

Let's all get on the apocalypse express!

Wow. It's been an amazing three years for me, since I first posted on this thread. I have been transformed, both by my own determination and by the actions of others. What a ride it's been. I'm in such a better place now.

Thanks to everyone here who has helped me.

By agatha on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

my ass looks like that, but bigger. i'm totally huge now, compared to my former self of a couple of years ago. it's very depressing.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 08:04 pm:

women should have huge round asses.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 08:50 pm:

"women should have huge round asses."

hooray!

yeah, i felt like that last week...

but then i went back to my college bubble.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 09:18 pm:

"it would be something, though, for you to show him (people like him) that there's more to you than he ever realized or wanted to know

don't be what he wants, be more

don't hide it"

actually, now i'm pretty convinced you need to hide it for a good long while. they gotta feel like they are more than you in some regard, or they get overwhelmed and intimidated. even if you aren't or do not feel like you have an upper hand in any regard, even if you believe the two of you are equals. "equals" actually is negative and gets you dumped and rejected.

men want women to swoon, to be vulnerable, to learn her right.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 09:20 pm:

oh boy, lucky for me, i have a huge round ass!

By dave. on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:07 pm:

i've always had ghetto booty. even as a sophomore at 5'11" and wrestling at 165#, i had a big, hard, moon butt. now, an inch taller and 135# thicker, i personify "huge, round ass".

i wonder what it would take (besides terminal illness) to get back to fighting weight.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:36 pm:

diet and exercise.

By dave. on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 11:03 pm:

well, besides that.

By Joe on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:52 am:

have you ever been lonely? have you ever been blue?

By Joe on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:59 am:

ok. let's go all the way back to 10/10/1999. antigone, the bottom line is that weight and looks are completely irrelevant. the one thing that my advanced age has taught me is that the right person for you is the one who worships the ground upon which you walk,...just because it's YOU. when you find it, you'll know.

By Joe on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:01 am:

and i hope you've already found it.

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 05:08 am:

"the bottom line is that weight and looks are completely irrelevant"

ok, am I the only person here who finds this sentiment utterly irritating? I think the point that how close one may or may not be to some socially created, airbrushed ideal is irrelevant. But, if physical attraction is supposed to be an element of a healthy relationship, then how could "looks" not be important?

Okay, so in my experience, that always made me feel worse. That statement, in the end, just reinforced the idea that there are some people who are physically attractive, and then there was me.

Antigone's post struck a chord with me because after I lost weight and grew my hair long I noticed how much nicer people were to me. Initially it made me angry, until one of my friends pointed out that I had more confidence, which probably had a lot more to do with it then just the fact that I was thinner. To which my other friend replied, "Fuck that. Liz, listen to ME! It's because you don't look like an angry dyke anymore."

But now I have a complex about my lack of ghetto booty. ;)

By Nate on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:46 am:

people who worship the ground you walk on are almost always the wrong people.

in my experience, anyway. all those worship people. good for sex, but bad for adult relationships.

By Czarina on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:06 am:

"Does anyone else feel like we [American society],are on the verge of a catastrophe?I feel like something,some negative force,has been building for a while,and we are about to experience some cataclysmic collapse."

I think the answer is readily evident:[judging from the content of this thread]

Its an ass-trophe collapse.The American ass HAS been building for a while,and there is an eminent ass-collapse,of cataclysmic porportions,soon to befall us all. May God have mercy on our miserable asses.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:29 am:

Perhaps this accounts for that earthquake in alaska.

Where have you been, Cz?

By Czarina on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:44 am:

Jest keep'n a low profile down south.

Thought it twas time to check in with the real world,and see how fellow Sorabjites have been a'fairin.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:20 am:

"women should have huge round asses."

pay attention.

i don't have a huge ass. just wide hips and a flat butt. ever seen howard stern the movie? see the part where he plays the role of FartMan and his cheeks are exposed? Waffle butt all the way.

dave, knowing you wrestled......well, lets just say that goes in my back pocket for use at a later date you big pansy.

im with you kazoo. to say looks dont matter is a complete farce. body chemistry demands its important.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:55 am:

Maybe it's better to say that your looks, assessed objectively, don't matter, but your best beloved's assessment of your looks does matter.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

i seriously think body chemistry / physical attraction is why i got dumped. because everything else was there.

i think my body really freaks people out. but i look good with clothes on. it feels like a costume, like i need to tell people right away, hey, you can't tell, but underneath this dress i'm a deformed freakshow.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:09 pm:

there was a period of time after i lost all that weight when i was angry. i mean, majorly pissed off at the world. any time a guy in a bar would approach me, i would tell them to fuck off or get away from me. literally i would do that. because i knew that they never would have approached me before i lost all that weight.

eventually i got over it, because in the end, you can't blame people for being attracted to what they are attracted to and not attracted to what they're not attracted to.

and for a long time after i was average weight, i insisted that i was the same person i always had been. but that really wasn't true either. it wasn't that i was more confident or nicer or more pleasant to be around, it was just that any physical change that's so radical will also have a radical affect on other parts of you. like if you break a leg, or have a stroke, or become paralyzed. it affects you, it changes you, it's inevitable. not to mention just the regular change people go through as they get older or have certain experiences.

i always believed that all my life's troubles would go away when i lost weight, and for a while that seemed to be the case. but that was just a high, an illusion. in some ways it's been harder to make friends. people want you or use you just the same as they always did, just for different reasons.

and forget about being able to manage other people's perceptions of you. impossible. in particular, people seem really surprised after they get to know me that i'm either a) as nice and genuine as i am or b) not out to steal their boyfriends or c) smart.

By Czarina on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:42 pm:

Whimsical Sarah,please,please,never refer to yourself as a freakshow. When I read your words,it hurt me,deep inside.

We all love you dearly,and I don't think there is one of us here,that would ever think of you in that manner.

You're the warm,loveable,witty,gentle natured Sarah that we all care very deeply for.

We love you for the real stuff. The you inside you.

Relationships suck.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:06 pm:

The world is headed for a cataclysmic event.

The end is near!!!

Of course near is a relative term.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

Cz, you are too, too sweet. thank you.

By B D Tyagi on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 05:27 pm:

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

If I could put more than two words creatively together I would but I can't so let's just say I agree with Czarina...I haven't been here long but I have to say, based on what I've seen and heard, that you are one of the sweetest people I've come across in a long time and that's even in the real world too...also everything on your other post I'm right there with you and I would say more but I am so fucking tired right now that I can't think straight

I'm going to get some chocolate now

By agatha on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 08:00 pm:

Really, she's totally hot. I have scars all over my belly too, Sarah, plus varicose veins and cottage cheesy thighs and what have you. But whatever, people feel how they feel about their bodies, and generally can't be talked out of feeling that way.

By trace on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:56 am:

By trace on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:58 am:

2 guess who that is?

Hint:
    The singer arrived at the court wearing the trademark mask, which he believes protects him from germs and traffic fumes. When he removed the mask inside, the full toll of years of plastic surgery on his face were revealed.

So, who's first for that nose job?

By J on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:23 am:

Jackson is a fucking freak and for the life of me I don't know why that creep has two kids,why the state protective services hasn't been looking into that. I always felt that there was something sick about his monkey Bubbles too.

By The Watcher on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

I think he should be pittied.

His life has been a mess since he was a child.

By Czarina on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

Hint:

It should be illegal for him to EVER remove his mask in public.

By trace on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 03:56 pm:

I pity anyone who uses thier child hood for any mess they have made of their adult life.

By patrick on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:40 pm:

what do you mean by "uses their childhood for any mess they have made of their adult life" ?

specifically the word "use" is throwing me off. can you elaborate.

i see that michael was a no show in court today.

that pic was one of the most popular pics on yahoo yesterday.

we've totally crushed the king of pop you insensitve bastards.

By J on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 05:58 pm:

No,he did that himself.

By agatha on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:41 pm:

i knew he had no nose. i've been saying that for years, ever since the mask.

i heard that bubbles died in squalor after michael abandoned him.

By trace on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:05 pm:

i mean they use childhood problems as the excuse for thier adult life being messed up

By patrick on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:11 pm:

who is "they?"

sometimes trace, despite your ignorance on the matter of psychology, what happens early in life has profound and damaging effects on adulthood.

are we speaking about excuses? no. we are speaking about insight and understanding.

michael was abused and then thrown on stage like a russian circus bear. no wonder he has mutilated himself, been suspected of pedophilia and in general become a freak. he was stripped of a normal childhood.

try not to be a conservative, close-minded asshole about everthing eh?

By Joe on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 01:45 am:

finding someone with whom you simply enjoy co-exisiting is great.

By Czarina on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 09:01 am:

Tell that to Bubbles.

By trace on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:09 am:

"sometimes trace, despite your ignorance on the matter of psychology, what happens early in life has profound and damaging effects on adulthood"

I have told you about the problems I had in my childhood.
    Nothing like a mother on top of you,choking you and spitting in your face telling you she hates you.
    That shit started when I was 4 and did not stop until I was 18.
    I think I am doing alright as an adult.
    But you are right, I am ignorant.

By J on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:04 am:

No your not,and plenty of people have had fucked up childhoods and have got over it and gone on with their lives and made the most of it.The only reason Jackson didn't have to go to jail for child molesting was cause he paid off the kids parents big time.I don't feel sorry for him just because he's a sorry excuse of a human being.His vanity just fucked him in the ass.

By spunky on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:39 am:

So, when you running for president?

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:50 am:

like Jon Stuart said, the people who surround michael should be hanged.

your personal situation spunk has no bearing on anyone else's life. so you made it. so what. plenty others don't. completely dismissing an individual because he didnt clear the woods is no good.

By trace on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

making excuses for everyone's bad behavior is not good either

By J on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:15 pm:

See how you feel about the scarey little child molester when you have your child Patrick.What's up with you lately? Sometimes it seems like you'd argue with Jesus if you could get him to talk to you,out of weed? I'm working on financial backing,think I'm gonna call my platform the sea of green.

By spunky on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

too bad none of the states made it legal this last go-round. maybe in '04?
    I have a feeling that by that time, everyone will want to use it to escape.

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:39 pm:

understanding does not = excuse

By semillama on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

I think that, after a long string of extensive plastic surgeries and radical reconstructions of facial bone structure, Bubbles has BECOME Michael Jackson.

By Spider on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

My first thought upon seeing that picture was of Tycho Brahe.

By Antigone on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

"understanding does not = excuse"

Oh, yes it doe, patrick. If you know have knowlege and understanding, it changes you. You should never investigate, discuss, or even think about dangerous subjects like pedophilia, sex, people's childhood, psychology, or other forbidden ideas. To do so corrupts society and leads to evil actions like those of Mr Jackson. The link is obvious, and shame on you for tainting this discussion with your disgusting apologies for a child fucker!

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:25 pm:

and j, michael jackson, the child molester poses no threat to me or my child.

my concerns and priorities may change once im a father, but i wont become irrational.

so who thinks the Megan laws are a farce and a product of a hysterical public with no knowledge of the Constitution the violate?

By Antigone on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:30 pm:

Hey, Trace, so are you saying that your childhood had no effect on your adult life?

Cool. Then everyone should raise their children like your mom raised you!

BTW, why did you get so upset a while ago about that kid, what was his name? You know, the one being abused by his mom. You should have left well enough alone. After all, a child's upbringing has absolutely no effect on their adult life. Shame on you for trying to interfere!

By trace on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:47 pm:

um...
    that was attempted homicide.

I was not so sure he would survive childhood.
    Big difference between not going out and harming others because of what was done to you as a child and stopping someone from trying to murder their child.

By Antigone on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

It was only attempted. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? It's character building! Just ask Bill Bennett

By trace on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:19 pm:

Are you defending child abuse? that as not my intent, I assure you. I am only saying that enduring trauma as a child is no reason to inflict it as an adult.

I also never said I was perfect. Ask Eri, I am quick to anger. But I am not physical. I have learned to walk away.
    I am looking into pills as we speak

By pills on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:32 pm:

get away from me.

By Antigone on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:46 pm:

"Are you defending child abuse?"

Nope. You are. Attitudes such as yours lead to it. You're only a hair away from it. "What happened to you as a child is no excuse!" is a close cousin to "I can beat my children and they'll come out fine."

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:11 pm:

who isnt quick to anger in this modern world.

thats no reason for pills.

goddamn man.

did you stop taking those ridiculous tylenol pm pills spunk?

that be a good starting point, rather than getting on some new ones.

By spunky on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:24 pm:

tiggy,
    Damn boy, we all need to get off of this "It's not my fault I am this way, it's my mamma's"
    kick. Blame anyone else for your actions except yourself. Frued is a fraud.
    You have as many child melestors and murderes out there that came from a healthy child hood as you do a fucked up one.

Eri wants me to go see doc doc and start taking something like Paxil.

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:39 pm:

spunk.

admit it. you dont know shit about Freud do you.
    understand the past helps you treat the future spunky. no one has ever said that ones past is an *excuse* for your actions. in fact, the only person using that word is you.

its about diagnosis and understanding. the insane are not immune from criminal prosecution.

see, you're just regurgitating the same ole conservative jingles again with this:

"Blame anyone else for your actions except yourself"

blah blah blah blah blah. same ole same ole.

paxil is the last thing you need spunky in my limited assessment and im betting most here would agree.

i would suggest getting off the tylenol. start a weekly exercise regiment, drink more water, eat better, stop the politcal radio and tv. even stop getting into the fray here. knowing your at a boiling point, i'll back off. but please, go clear your head. read some dhali llama. hell even take up a minor pot habit. you've become too caught up in the humdrum. it may be the reason you are perceived as negative and in general why you might be quick to anger. Im testy when im stressed and when i feel i carry the weight of the world. It sounds like you might be feeling similarly. back off, take long walks, change your routine but please don't go inquiring about pills yet.

paxil is absolutely NOT the answer, and you might be surprised, i do have a concern your well being. if eri were here, id scold her for suggesting such a quick fix idea.

By Antigone on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:40 pm:

"You have as many child melestors and murderes out there that came from a healthy child hood as you do a fucked up one."

Quote some statistics for that, fact boy.

By Czarina on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:41 pm:

There's nothing wrong with exploring theraputic modualities.

The SSRI's can be quite beneficial. Paxil has proven to be a very effective medication,with a minimum of negative side effects.

Regardless of what anyone here advises,[except me,of course!],don't overlook medication as a possibility.

The benefits can far outweight that dasterdly feeling of being down.

By trace on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:45 pm:

"tiggy,
    Damn boy, we all need to get off of this "It's not my fault I am this way, it's my mamma's"
    kick. Blame anyone else for your actions except yourself."

That is all I meant to say.

People need to take some PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITIES for thier ACTIONS rather then blame others.

Look at us here. We have spent more time blaming americans for 9/11 then the ones who planned the attack and did it.

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:56 pm:

but wait, it was you who said we can't talk about the present(bush) without considering the past (Clinton). step back to 9/11. did you consider the past then? did you consider what america had done prior to 9/11?

you yourself have been an advocate of suggesting pearl harbor was allowed to happen.

so by your own stated logic
    we SHOULD at least CONSIDER part of the blame to rest on american shoulders without negating the actions of those who ordered the attacks.

By Antigone on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

Well, spunk, maybe you should stop blaming liberals and Bill Clinton for the woes of society, then. That'd be a good start, ya think?

By conservativelyspunky on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:05 pm:

I never blamed them for the woes of society.
    I just blamed them for being total shits.

By agatha on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 08:39 pm:

"You have as many child molestors and murderers out there that came from a healthy child hood as you do a fucked up one."

this is TOTALLY untrue. that's all i have to say about that matter.

By J on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:43 pm:

Roll another one,just like the other one.

By SD on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

Hi, I am new here.. but, I sort of know Mark from a while ago.

Commenting on the use of medications for depression, etc., well, I have been on nearly every medication out there and since I'm rapid-cycling bipolar, nothing has worked. The only medications that truly made me feel good were Celexa and Paxil, but they had to take me off of those (I was not on them at the same time) because they made me manic. I am very jealous of people that have found medication that works for them to make them happy. For now, I have to learn how to deal with how to make myself feel ok, which is very difficult even with the help of the meds I'm on now (Lamictol and Zyprexa).

By SD on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:23 pm:

Hi, I am new here.. but, I sort of know Mark from a while ago.

Commenting on the use of medications for depression, etc., well, I have been on nearly every medication out there and since I'm rapid-cycling bipolar, nothing has worked. The only medications that truly made me feel good were Celexa and Paxil, but they had to take me off of those (I was not on them at the same time) because they made me manic. I am very jealous of people that have found medication that works for them to make them happy. For now, I have to learn how to deal with how to make myself feel ok, which is very difficult even with the help of the meds I'm on now (Lamictol and Zyprexa).

By Joe on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:20 am:

trace, i am sorry that your mother treated you so badly. as bad as my childhood was i was never subjected to that kind of insult. i'm also sorry that none of your "friends" here could express any sympathy even if they disagreed with you on other issues. i am the product of parents who were very fucked up in many, many ways. i know how difficult it is to raise children of your own and always wonder if 1)you're doing what your parents would do, 2)you're over-compensating because of the way you were treated or 3)you're doing the "right" or "normal" thing. we are destined to fail because our children will sense our insecurity. it's a shame that we will never be able to express to them how we just want to "do the right thing".

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

ahh fer FUCKSAKE JOE! Why you gots to be such a nincompoop!?

By Czarina on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:31 pm:

SD, hang in there with your meds. A large part of psychiatry is trying different combinations of meds, untill you find the ones that work for you.

The worst thing you can do is to stop taking your meds. Med non-compliance accounts for the majority of re-admits we get. There is help for you. It just takes time and perseverence, to find the combination that works for you.

And Joe,you're okay. I don't think you're a nincompoop.Its good to know there are caring parents out there. Its one of the hardest jobs there is. Bringing kids safely through childhood.
    Kudos to you,for caring.

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:00 pm:

so trace, whats the diagnosis for taking meds? whats the good word?

By heather on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

i think patrick was talking about this:

'i'm also sorry that none of your "friends" here could express any sympathy even if they disagreed with you on other issues.'

trace's past has been covered. he knows who his friends are.

By heather on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:08 pm:

oh

and about meds.

i've said this before, but fear and the temptation to write them off as evil and unnecessary was my first reaction- i don't feel that way any longer. having been in a bad place i've found that sometimes you need help when your body is not cooperating and your mind can't fix the problem.

that being said, i do very highly recommend regular exercise as the cure for many issues.

that and some sleep deprivation.

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:18 pm:

"i don't feel that way any longer"

maybe its uniform and inexperienced generalizing but everyone who has taken mood altering meds all comes out saying the same thing.

hmmmmmm.

its not the meds i have a problem with, its the reasons people think they need them and their subsequent ignorant rush to attain them and the ease and comfort at which doctors prescribe them.

By trace on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:18 pm:

I have not called the doc yet.
    I have been in a suprisingly good mood the past couple of days, not withstanding the fact that my car has accelerated it's death throws....

By heather on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:47 pm:

i needed them because i hadn't eaten or slept in three days and i eventually wanted to finish my thesis without killing myself. i agree that the doctors are/were far too eager to hand them out (ha, hand them, they were fucking expensive).

i don't take them any more.

they didn't change my 'mood' they took away the hesitation and unreasonable fear. i was perfectly capable of being happy and anxious at the same time.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

Heather, are you familiar with the studies conducted that show something like 60% of mildly depressed people feel better after 24 hours of sleep deprivation?

My know-it-all friend L. insists it's 100% effective, but that's just not true. I have seen the studies! God almighty, do I get frustrated talking to someone who can't stand to be corrected.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:53 pm:

Sorry for the outburst.

And look, I can be corrected. This article says 40-50% effective.

By Nate on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:10 pm:

what is 24 hours sleep dep? 24 hours beyond the point you expect to go to sleep? so, like 40+ hours awake?

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

I used to be against pills for emotional modulation.

After taking Paxil im no longer against them.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

I think it's 24 hours without sleep. I don't know, though. I did a google search on +depression +"sleep deprivation," and the results I looked at seemed to contradict each other on some details.

By Antigone on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 08:47 pm:

From Spider's link: "A full night or a half night of sleep deprivation shows an antidepressant effect"

This statement makes me think that "sleep deprivation" means to not get regularly scheduled sleep, either partially or completely missing one night's sleep. Later, the article says, "Overall, subjects stayed awake for about 34 hours."

By Joe on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:31 am:

hey, thanx, czar. heather, i know how important it was to explain patrick's post because it had to do with me, and someone whom you consider a "regular" disagreed with it. i just didn't see how trace's post was "covered". the guy has a problem and all any of you can say to him is "shut up because we know your significant other and we can't deal with that". i was just trying to relate to him. oh fuck, here comes the backlash.

By heather on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:52 am:

whatever

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:38 am:

Ah, good ole Joe, beggin' for backlash again. Ain't he cute?

By Czarina on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:40 am:

Joe,just put your ass in the "submissive" position,and you'll be alright here.

And,let me clarify somethining:

I also agree that excercise and regular intake of vitamins are EXTREMELY important. Also,it is equally important to be exposed to enough sunlight,we need it to properly utelize our brain chemicals,it acts as something of a cataylist.

But,sometimes,when our brain chemistry is out of wack,we need help. My latest post was directed at "SD". The meds this person mentioned are for a different reason.This person presents with a much more acute symptomology.

I work with these people,and I see the tortured,anguished lives that they endure.They live in hell. And there are medications that can relieve their symptomology. Unfortunately,it takes alot of time to find the right meds for any given individual. The chemical imbalance is DIFFERENT for each individual,so there are no pat cures. Its just methodically trying different combinations of meds to find those that help the most.

But,back to depression, I agree that docs are quick to hand out anti-depressants. But only the individual can know how severly their depression is affecting their own lives, and don't want any depresed person to rule out the possibility of taking medication,because of advice from well meaning friends,who aren't really schooled/educated in the mental health industry.

That said,I have found a wonderful supplement,OTC,that seems to work wonderfully,AND immedeiatly,[compared to anti-depressants,which take several weeks to become effective]

It is available at GNC,and its inexpensive,and I have seen immediate results,[same day],so it might be worth a try to any suffering depression.

Its called:
    GoldMinds DHA 100
    Its about $6.00 a bottle,one capsule daily.It goes straight to the brain,its an essential fatty acid.

Its worth a try.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:36 am:

actually Joe, i never even read your post. i was just launching an absurd, random, spontaneous outburst your way because it was assumed that what you were rambling about was nonsensical and generally lame.

but now that ive read it, heather is right, that particular statement is worthy of an outburst.

By spunky on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:39 pm:

By Joe on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:45 am:

czar, you're right. i have positioned my bubble butt to accept all kinds of violation. however, i am really interested in your post about medication. do you think that it's possible for people to solve their own psychiatric problems without drugs? i have witnessed people close to me taking prozac or some equivalent and it was VERY obvious to me that they were simply "propped up" by the drug. the only thought that comes to mind is "what will happen if the drug is taken away"? i realize that people can have some serious problems but wouldn't it be better if they could resolve these problems on their own instead of relying on the intoxicating effect of these drugs?

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:14 am:

(First, love and hugs to you Cz!)

Joe, would you tell a diabetic to stop taking insulin? Or a cancer patient to stop having chemotherapy? For some people, depression is a illness and they need medication.

Of course I think Americans are over-medicated, and despite whatever the cause of one's problems, medication alone is never enough. You need therapy, exercise, and all that.

However, I am fucking sick and tired of ASSHOLES like you telling me to *snap out of it* The last time I tried to *snap out of it* on my own, it nearly killed me. My depression is so severe that if I hadn't taken Prozac I WOULD NOT BE HERE TODAY. And I did stop taking it, but then I had a relapse.

I would like to stop taking meds (on Wellbutrin now) but still, despite the fact that I am much less insecure and happier than I have ever been, and getting over my fears of people...I still do not sleep and when I do, I have nightmares (and those have been increasing). There are days I have to force myself to eat. I am not sad all the time, but I still have symptoms that do not always go away when life is good or because I have solved a few problems.

By Czarina on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:34 am:

Do I think people can solve their own psychiatric problems without drugs?

No.I know that they can't.But I am referring to the more serious psychiatric disorders,such as schizoprenia,schizoaffective disorder,etc.These are the people who can suffer SEVERE audio and visual hallucinations.Without proper medications,these poor tortured souls can be quite dangerous to themselves and others.The voices command them to do bizaare things.For instance,one of my patients would frequently set herself on fire.

The voices commanded her to.She was a difficult case. ICU didn't want to care for her burns,because she was so psychotic,and they aren't equipped to deal with those types of problems,and we weren't equippted to deal with the physical aspects of a severly burned person,ie sterile dressing changes,wound debriment,etc.

2 completely different type of medical needs. In the time span that I knew her,she had set herself on fire 3 times.She had burned herself numerous times before I personally knew her.

The voices would command her not to take her medications,because we were "poisioning"her.Med non-compliance is the biggest problem we have in the psychiatric field.We can monitor and make them take their meds while they are in the hospital,but once we get their meds into them,and they stabalize,we have to release them.And the cycle starts all over again.

In this particular case,after her last release from our facility,she committed suicide,with a gun.

So,no,I do not think these people should try to "cure" themselves.

As far as depression,thats a different issue. As I stated earlier,whether they require medication is dependent on the individual level of the depression.

Some depressed people are so despondent that they will actually commit suicide,without medical intervention.When they are that "down",it seems to them that that is the best option.

In these cases,medical intervention can stabelize the brain chemistry,and help them think more clearly.

No easy answers here.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:56 am:

I second Kazoo's and Czarina's statements.

Also, if someone could "just get over it," don't you think they would?

By patrick on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:48 am:

lets face it. the matter is about depression and the need for meds such as wellbutrin,prozac,zoloft, paxil and others like them. anti anxiety and anti depressants. thats what we are talking about, because (without looking) this conversation was born out of spunks admittance of thinking of getting paxil because he was angry all the time.

the problem is determining the degree of depression and anxiety.

im ambivalent about someone like kazoo's predicament...saying you think we're over medicated as a nation and then saying how much happier you are with the pills. *shrugs*. ok. fine.

if you believe we are over-medicated as a society, then where do you draw the line? where do you draw the line in determining when your situation warrants medication? i mean fuck, they have medication that can do all kinds of things? determining *need* needs redefinition because its clear medicine is being taken over by corporations, which is fine for supply, bad for establishign demand. they create a demand by giving us an excuse to take a pill for every ailment.

i just think its time doctors start telling the truth instead of being tools of the pharmaceutical industry and legal pushers (except for the manufacturers of Vicodin...please....carry on). its time we start dealing with all the potential reasons for our depression. i think your body and mind deserve the benefit of the doubt.

of course czar the extreme cases cant cure themselves and im pretty sure joe wasnt referring to cases such as that. (shit am i actually defending joe's argument?)

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

So, because I take medication for what I feel is a legitimate illness, I cannot or should not criticize what I feel to be an abusive industry?

Fuck you. And don't tell me that isn't what you are saying, you are implying that. And I am tired of hearing it.

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:46 pm:

it's hard to draw the line because, as Cz said before, a lot of it is trial and error and it's hard to determine whether or not one's depression is truly chemical or not. It's not like you can rub your brain with a swab, throw some of your grey matter in a petrie dish and wait to see if your reuptake mechanisms are functioning properly.

And, you know, some people do not have the time or energy (a symptom of depression) to deal with their problems. Therapy can take a long time, and when you have to live in the real world, sometimes a quick fix is necessary.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

why are you being so defensive kazoo? i havent criticised *YOU* at all.

Of course you can be critical of the boat you are in. I didnt say you can't.

really. settle. i said im "ambivalent" didnt i? I meant what i said. i measured words specifically because i wanted to AVOID this very response seeing as you were already defensive.

btw, my friend's band is playing this weekend at an artshow in your hood. Its a place called EyeDrum. Its supposed to be like a big art fair with food, liquor and of course bands.

It should be good. I dont have all the info, but if you look up Eye Drum gallery you should be able to get the details. Its on Sat btw.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

"And, you know, some people do not have the time or energy (a symptom of depression) to deal with their problems. Therapy can take a long time, and when you have to live in the real world, sometimes a quick fix is necessary."

like i said, your body and brain deserve the benefit of the doubt.

try the natural stuff first if you think you are depressed or have anxiety issues. try diet and excercise and even therapy before you start tweaking with chemicals that can fuck you up for good.

thats what i would do. i think thats what doctors should do unless they perceive a degree of seriousness that warrants more action.
    and that goes back to the root question. a question which i believe is messed with for ulterior motives. money.

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:10 pm:

Okay, I get you...

"btw, my friend's band is playing this weekend at an artshow in your hood."

I just told a friend about it. We have a dinner/movie thing earlier that weekend and we're going to try to make it afterward.

what's his band called again?

By patrick on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:15 pm:

Black Love

He is the bassist.

His name is Brian.

Introduce yourself..he and his wife are super friendly and know a lot of neat shit.

dig it, its all here:

Sa 23 - Eyedrum Art & Music Gallery presents: Cornucopia:: A Rent Party & Membership Drive
    8pm until Late
    $10 or sign up to become an Eyedrum Member!

Help your favourite alternative art space survive!
    * Music and Performance! A Golden Summer, Black Love, and more
    * Art for sale!
    * Celebrate the opening of David Wilson's new installation!
    * Check out Transforming, the exhibition in the large gallery!

If you are interested in selling your artwork: The work must be able to be displayed table-top.
    As this is a fundraiser, Eyedrum requests a donation deltavenus@mindspring.com

A GOLDEN SUMMER
    Made up of Claire Campbell, Gary Kellam, Heather McIntosh and Jamie Shephard. It features cello, slide guitar, singing saw and trap drums. Lotsa harmonies.

BLACK LOVE
    Brian Cook (former bassist for Pineal Ventana and The Titanics) and guitarist Rich Hudson (former singer-guitarist in BOB) abandoned all they know about alternative rock last summer and blew their minds with this experimental new duo. They switch instruments and play over prerecorded tapes, creating a sort of industrial-strength "no wave" sound. Flagpole, Athens 3-13-02 (Flicker).

damn i wanna go.

By kazoo on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

Thanks for the information.

Anyway, I saw my new therapist today. I was very impressed by her. As we were wrapping things up she wanted to address the most immediate and manageable problem, trouble sleeping.

I thought, 'Here it comes...she's going to ask me if I've ever thought of taking sleeping pills'

She didn't even mention it. Instead, she suggested that I start doing some kind of nightly ritual to unwind instead of dropping my work, washing and then getting right into bed. She had a bunch of suggestions.

It wasn't anything that I didn't already know; but one of those things that you forget when you're feeling poopy and lacking energy.

She also wanted to know specifically how all of my sleep problems (and other anxious moments) manifested themselves. I liked that.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:23 pm:

I was having sleep problems too, but now that my research advisor has told me he won't fund me next semester I'm sleeping like a baby. Funny, that.

By kazoo on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

Seriously? Will you be able to stay in school?

By Joe on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:07 am:

kazoo, i'm sorry that my post was offensive to you. that was not my intention. my problem is that i have witnessed the effects of these drugs on two friends and i felt as if i no longer knew these two people. since i suffer from depression myself from time to time i wonder what effect these drugs would have on me. in other words, i'm scared.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact