My stomach is rebelling.

sorabji.com: Have you ever gone hungry?: My stomach is rebelling.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By TBone on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 01:16 pm:

Prepare for some serious whining.

I always thought I had a pretty tough stomach. Nothing seemed to phase it. That has abruptly changed, along with a number of other physical maladies in the last year.

It started as what felt like a tingle by my right shoulder blade. It got annoying, so I talked to my doctor. I got an ultrasound of my gall bladder, and that seemed OK, so I was put on Prilosec, because it could be acid problems in the stomach.

Fast forward a few months, and now I'm on 3 different medications to get the acid under control, and it hurts all day. The reflux makes me feel like I'm just about to gag all the time. I've even stopped drinking coffee, which shows how serious this is.

They're going to shove a probe down there and look around in late July. For now, it's Carafate 4 times a day, plus a proton pump inhibitor and an H2 blocker. With all that, you'd think I wouldn't be able to digest a cracker, let alone my own innards, but still the acid comes.

I'd feel better about it all if I could at least blow off some steam running now that the weather is so beautiful, but I've discovered that I can't go for a run now without my hip joints going rogue for a full two days afterward.

OK, I lied. I just tried some coffee because it's been a little better for a day or two now. Ow. Ow Ow.

Is this what turning 30 is like? My joints hurt, my stomach hurts, I smell funny, and I have to shave every day now. I suddenly care if there are kids on my lawn.

What's happening to me?

By patrick on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 05:16 pm:

dude.

wait till 35.

better yet, wait till you get to 35 and you have a couple of kids. i
    hear my head squeezing out grey hairs growing as i type. they
    keep saying im going to be one of those handsome grey hair
    types. all i know is not before 45.

yeah, and my body aches in places i wish it wouldnt and im
    mostly ambivalent if i dont get laid once a week.

strangely im more physical and eat better than i ever have and i
    still feel like poo more times than not.

you're not alone tbone.

By heather on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 05:54 pm:

i hate giving random advice to people from afar anymore, but have you tried not eating some things? everyone and their brother is gluten intolerant around here with various effects. very sorry otherwise, it is hard when your body is confusing and especially if it hurts.

my skin is being a bastard, but other than that i feel really great. theory is hormones on account of the fact that i am for most standards middle-aged, unfortunately it means that nothing helps.

i was writing stuff and i seem to be fading from the idea so i'm gonna post this before i just erase it and wander away.

By TBone on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 06:11 pm:

You know, I have considered gluten as a central cause for all my maladies. It's just that, well, avoiding gluten is hard. It's not easy to convince myself to be vigilant about it without knowing that it really is the cause.

I should get tested.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 10:08 pm:

don't get tested. tested means shit -- just do it. just remove gluten from your diet, start with 3-4 days, that's all, and see how you feel. it's not that hard, especially these days they are so many gluten-free substitutes for foods you habitually eat.

and also, i agree with patrick, welcome to living past a certain age where everything in your body works as it was meant to. i also eat really well and exercise, but time is a demanding sonofabitch and sometimes clean living and pharmaceuticals can't reverse the effects.

i hope you get to feeling better.

By Daniel on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 03:08 pm:

well at 59 1/2, I have nothing to add to my diet except metamucil more often. Detox on orange flavored sugar free metmucil powder and reverse osmosis purified water (vodka optional ) and just stop gluten and fuck the tests which are meaningless. exercise exercise and exercise and then meditate meditate and meditate some more. Sleep less, eat less, be more active, consume mass quantities of ice cream only on the second tuesday of the week, and quit leaking your personal strengths on matters that don't really count. eliminate everyone and everything that are of distracting and inconsequential value, and don't let motherhood, fatherhood, or pharmaceuticals interfere with your serenity.

there, where's the vodka please? I've survived 23 years, three days, about 12 hours without it.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 11:35 pm:

if i could give up vodka 50% of the time, i'd lose 15 lbs in a month.

however, it feels as if my survival for the last 2 and 1/2 years has depended almost solely on vodka.

this is my most recent cocktail invention. and it's been named.

Cheeky Vixen (tm)

ingredients:

cold, fresh grapefruits
    cold, fresh tangelos
    lemon
    ruby red absolute (preferably set the in the freezer for several hours)
    citron absolute or plain vodka (freezer as well)
    grand marnier (room temp)
    ice

tools:

cocktail shaker
    microplane zester
    simple citrus juicer (preferably electric)

directions:

put a martini glass in the freezer.

juice separately the grapefruit and tangelos on minimum pulp setting.

pass juices separately through sieve of some sort for max clarity.

scrape the lemon zest a few times over the microplane zester into a shaker half full of ice.

then pour into the shaker:

1 generous part grapefruit juice
    1/2 part tangelo juice
    1 part ruby red absolute
    1/2 part citron vodka or plain vodka
    1/2 part grand marnier

shake the hell out of it, until it's icy and frothy and pour into chilled glass.

squeeze some fresh lemon juice in there.

gulp the first one down.

immediately make a second to savor.

hi Sheila. if you're out there, please make contact. i miss you.

By patrick on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 10:49 am:

i'll take 2 please.

By patrick on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 10:49 am:

and a champagne back

By Daniel on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:37 pm:

at least two. Oneof the most obvious signs of alcoholism is the urgency of the first drink and or gulping of the first, ah the savoring of the second. I'm not saying....

Have one or two for me, I couldn't stop. one is too many and a thousand not enough. That's my problem.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:00 am:

I am heavy on sodaholic.. I think it is time for me to attend S.A. lol.

By TBone on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 04:06 pm:

Having done a little more research into the matter, it sounds like the EGD I'm getting in July should probably diagnose Celiac, if that's what's going on. I've also been avoiding gluten for a few days now, but apparently that could make it harder to diagnose.

So if they find Celiac, I'll definitely drop gluten entirely. If they don't, I'll still experiment with it and see if I can observe a change in my symptoms.

...unless it's cancer or one of those chest-bursting aliens, in which case I think I deserve a pastry.

By kazu on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 07:03 pm:

If you are actually getting testing done, don't avoid gluten.

If you are not getting tested and don't plan on getting tested, then eliminating on your own makes sense.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 01:25 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:35 am:

d00d, drop gluten. I did it a few months ago and it has
    helped immensely.

By heather on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:15 pm:

you can have plenty of gluten issues and not be celiac. most are not even possible to test for (said my allergist.)

By heather on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:18 pm:

also, gluten is in everything

some unusual ones:

soy sauce, miso, caramel color, maltodextrin, modified food starch, many berry flavorings (especially raspberry, i just avoid all the red flavors), bulghur, kamut, malt/malt vinegar, beer, any distilled spirit that's put back in the original barrel after the fermentation for flavoring (generally the stronger flavored alcohols), seitan, spelt, some teas, wheat grass (though buckwheat is okay as long as it's not mixed with anything), textured vegetable protein, "artificial colorings," and smoke flavoring.

By la on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:40 pm:

seitan and tvp are pretty much straight gluten.

tamari is a god substitute for soy sauce or try bragg liquid aminos.

rice and corn have some gluten, but it's a different kind so you might try those flours if you need to bake.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 04:40 pm:

Thanks for that healthy skeptic link, sarah. Even though I've
    read a fair amount on the subject it was very informative.

By sarah on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 09:33 pm:

de nada.

af for the aforementioned urgency or gulping of the first drink and the savoring of the second - for me that's not a sign of alcoholism, it's a permanent personality trait.

i gulp down the first of everything, and savor the second. cocktails, sex, new experiences. you name it.

By Daniel on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:17 pm:

ibid. op. cit.

been wanting to dump the gluten for some time now. just am not disciplined. Jupiter is going retrograde. Think we got problems now?// Hmmm

By TBone on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:37 pm:

Thanks for all the info. I just got scoped, and should get
    results from that in a week or so. I'm going to cut the gluten
    and see how it goes in either case, but I would find it much
    easier if I had a diagnosis.

I guess I don't need to wait for the results. I guess I can start
    tomorrow.

By Hal on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 02:09 am:

Brutal...

I'm only taking Omeprazole once daily and it seems
    to have cut MOST of my problems.

Although it has forced me into being far more
    regular than I would prefer, toilet paper has become
    something I'm considering writing off on my taxes.

By sarah on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 10:04 am:

jupiter goes retrograde for about half a year, every year.

By Daniel on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:26 pm:

By TBone on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 04:10 pm:

In my effort to find a gluten-free lunch, I found a new little
    lunch place within walking distance of my office. Score!

Delicious Chicken Tandoori.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact