pipedreams

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: pipedreams
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kymical on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 10:57 am:

things were going so well. the band was playing at clubs and they were starting to want us to come back. i was able to say i had played at Trees and the Curtain Club. these are places that i would go later that week and see the legendary pink dots play at. i was excited. it went from me and this guy wih no rhythm to me and 5 guys playing at the fucking Curtain Club. in about a year. not bad i am thinking to myself.
    then they want to move the band to Austin. talking like "yeah it will be great, we will live in austin and become a big great band!"
    the so called live music capital of the world. well, it isn't! it was for like 2 months and now it isn't. so i don't think we need to go there. for the type of experimental crap we are doing, we need to be on the east coast o in europe. not in austin where they hold south by southwest. we are not rockers.
    then the two guitarists went to austin, cause they couldn't stand dallas anymore. they had had enough of this 1 horse town. leaving me, the viola player and our bassist/radio manipulator behind. maybe this will be where it all fallas apart.
    the bass player wants them to move back to dallas, because things are starting to turn out good for him here. he finally got the job he loves as a studio engineer at a place. his cousin is moving down adn she is like a sister to him. blah blah blah. he told them he would be in austin in a couple months. he tells me he is never going to austin. breakdown of communication. bad.
    so he says he isn't going.
    and apparently this isn't the best time to tell them i don't want to play cello as much anymore.
    oi vey...

By Jay on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 11:27 am:

bands.
    it's always a soap opera. sort of like a dysfunctional family.

By TBone on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 11:46 am:

I was in a band once...

Heh..

If you've seen Joe's Apartment, think of the band "Shit"

I was the drummer.

By Gee on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 07:15 pm:

I thought you loved playing music. do you not want to Play anymore, or do you just not want to play the cello?

my mother played the cello when she was younger. she hurt her hand somehow and it never got set properly so she wasn't able to play anymore. playing the cello was her dream. it's sad.

By Nate on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 10:41 am:

Go watch "that thing you do".

the other night at a company party i had a company hired psychic tell me i should quit my job and persue music.

i wondered for awhile how she knew, but then i realized she was touching my hands.

beyond that off topic segment, what i'm saying is that if you want to be a musician, don't depend on the other folks. band hop until it syncs. or do it yourself.

By Jay on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 11:16 am:

yeah be the guy with the bass drum on his back, playing guitar and harmonica, a snare drum hooked up to a pedal, tamborines under his elbows.
    one man band.
    or you could just buy a computer program.

By agatha on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 11:29 am:

nate, do you think your boss hired her to say that to you? sorry, but you walked right into that one.

By Nate on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 12:31 pm:

heh. yeah, probably.

By Kymical on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 09:25 pm:

i just want to broaden my spectrumm as to what i can play. everyone has the capabiliy to play another instrument. and there is me, plain jane with the cello.
    but when i say that they are like "well we just need you to play the cello. we need the cello."
    if the cello could play itself and i was it's manager i think that might work out better.

i like to play that isn't it. i want to still play even i just want to also be able to put the cello down during a set and pick up some other instrument and have it be pretty cool.
    like bagpipes or something.

By Jay on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 11:39 pm:

what about the accordian? or the kazoo?
    just buy a les Paul and a marshall stack and rock out.

By semillama on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

Yeah, you probably can pick up any other stringed instrument and go, from the cello experience. It's when you jump to another class of instrument altogehter (like wind) that it can be pretty hard. Even the tin whistle can be a challenge.

By Dougie on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 08:13 am:

No, there's no way you can "easily" go from the violin family to the guitar family. One's bowed, the other's plucked. Guitars are fretted, violins are not. The strings (more of them on a guitar) are tuned differently than the four on violin/cello. About the only thing going for her in moving to the guitar family is she's already got callouses on her left fingertips.

By semillama on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 08:45 pm:

I disagree. You would have the whole general theory of the instrument down. You already know how to coordinate both your hands. It's much easier to go to a plectrum instrument form a bowed instrument than vice versa. I've seen it. I've picked up my mom's cello a couple times and can manage to get some halfway decent notes out of it, even though I've never played a bowed instrument before. Learning chords would probably be the hardest thing, since they are rarely used in a lot of cello playing.

What's really hard to do is move from an instrument where your hands are coordinated to produce the same note to one where you have to coordinate your hands to produce seperate notes (for exampel, drums and keyboard instruments). It's awhole different way of thinking about music.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 08:35 am:

"Whole general theory of the instrument down." No way -- as I said before, violin family has four strings, all tuned in fifths. Guitars have six, tuned (I believe in fourth, fourth, fourth, major third, fourth,) plus frets. On a violin, the bow isn't something you just grind back and forth across the strings to produce a tone, it's actually an instrument in itself and takes people a lifetime to master its subtleties (at least in classical music -- the guy in the Dave Matthews band probably isn't a good example.) Coordination of the hands on violins is totally different than on a guitar (whether strumming, or harder yet, picking with fingers), and it's not just a matter of coordinating the hands on a violin, it's coordinating the left hand (and arm when shifting positions) with the right hand and arm, where both the left and right are doing totally disparate motions. (The same is true on a guitar, but less magnified.) Maybe it is easier to go from bowed instrument to plucked, but just because somebody's proficient on one instrument doesn't mean they can "easily" pick up another and be playing it in a week (unless they freakishly talented.)

By Wavydave on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 01:46 pm:

I play the Tuba

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 02:16 pm:

Then you should be immensely qualified to take up playing the autoharp.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 02:40 pm:

my first instrument was cello, back in 4th through 6th grade. they're tuned in 4ths, just like a bass or guitar. i seem to remember the transition from cello to bass and guitar not being that difficult. though i never played any of them brilliantly.

i've known several guys who started out on violin or mandolin (which is also tuned in 5ths) to make the transition to guitar fairly easily.

you just gotta want to.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 03:43 pm:

Droopy, sorry but a cello is tuned in fifths. A bass is tuned in fourths.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 04:34 pm:

really?

coulda sworn....

so much for memory.

By Kymical on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 06:42 pm:

well, i think my only problem with playing guitar is that i don't know a damn thing about chords. i have never really liked the sound of them and i can't do them often on the cello. tho i would make an interesting guitarist that does like solos or just coming up with a little ditty that more proficient players can do something with.

the cello to bass transition is actually the easiest. because often times there are no chords in playing bass. it is more comon to be on a one string at a time deal.
    me and the bass player were tlaking about this, since we are both considered part of the bass clef. we think "we are conquering the world, one string at a time."
    but i think i will start playing the typewritter. or the radio.

By Mavis on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 07:35 pm:

tuba players are sexy

By Spider on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 07:45 pm:

There's a song by Kid Koala and Money Mark called "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome," and it uses a typewriter for percussion. It's very cute.

Click here if you'd like to hear 30 seconds of it. Hmmm, you can't hear it so well with RealPlayer, but that *is* a typewriter in the background.

I wonder why it is that the samples you find on Amazon and CDnow and places like that are always of, like, the 30 most boring seconds of the songs. You never get to hear the good parts. Like, on the page linked to above, the good part of Amon Tobin's "Sordid" is about 3 minutes down the road from the part they've sampled. If you heard that good part, you'd want to buy the CD right there. But noooo, they had to sample the weak-ass part of the song and turn everybody off. Cretins.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 10:27 pm:

by the way, anybody wanna buy a '79 fender precision bass?

best offer.

By Czarina on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 12:04 am:

Droop,I'll sweeten your offer,I'll throw in a couple of collared lizards to anyone who buys your bass.[I'm tired of feeding them]

By droop on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 12:52 am:

bass and lizards.

life don't get any better than that.

once when i lived in a run-down house with a couple of other guys, we trapped some lizards to let loose in the house in an attempt to solve our prodigious roach problem. it didn't work. we had ubervermin.

By Celia on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 03:54 am:

I played the piano for about 8 years when I tried the cello, and I picked it up very easily. I had some informal sessions from a friend who played the cello, and within sixth months I made it to first chair of my school's senior orchestra. Then I tried the guitar and I just somehow couldn't get into that mentality. I struggled for months with it and just gave up. I dunno what went wrong.

By TBone on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 11:17 am:

I bought an Amon Tobin cd once because we share the same last name.

I liked it. What albums would you suggest, spider?

By Wavydave on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 01:31 pm:

how much you want for the bass droop?

I'm so far in the hole, I can't even see daylight, but a bass would be cool.

Don't know what my dog would think of the lizards

By droop on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 01:53 pm:

originally, i traded a guy an alembic for the p-bass and a used olds cutlass. i think the going rate for it at the time ('93?) was $700.

still in good shape, but could stand a strobing.

even tunes in 4ths, just like a cello.

i just spent a coupla hundred bucks on new tires (which i was sposed to get months ago) and an alignment for my car. it's nice to have the steering while pointed the way the car is driving.

i used to have a monster ampeg svt to go with that bass, but somehow it made its way to galveston.

By droop on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 02:01 pm:

hey, i just learned that ry cooder and the buena vista social club is going to be on pbs tonight, at least here in the dallas/fort worth area.

seems to me that someone else here is a ry cooder fan.

i like cooder, too.

and cubans,

at least the ones who make music.

By agatha on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 02:23 pm:

that would be me. and maybe somebody else. more specifically, i am a buena vista social club fan.

By Mavis on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 02:26 pm:

of all the buena vista folks, i like ruben gonzales, and compay segundo the best...plus ibrahim ferrer.

i like some of ry cooder's work....rising sons especially.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 03:13 pm:

i just like saying ry's last name

i have a sweet Fender 77 Musicmaster bass. cheap, shortened scale but sounds solid

HI!!!! (waves)

By J on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 03:28 pm:

Hi!! I checked on you today,you were still quiet.

By Czarina on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 04:22 pm:

I'm the Ry Cooder fan,um, puts me in a good mood just thinking of him.

By droop. on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 05:52 pm:

i didn't know that about you, miss agatha.

i like the whole name ry cooder. i think we should invent a drink called a rye cooder.

i was wondering where you'd gotten to, patrick.

i like tito puente y los van van.

mambo!

By patrick on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 06:09 pm:

mongo santamaria

when my pop died, i got a bunch of his records, Mongo that is. its interesting cuban music was so popuar in the late 60s given the Cuban Missle Crisis and fear of communism and such....i cringe at the thought of my parents doing the mambo....

By Spider on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 07:29 pm:

TBone: Don't know. Amon Tobin's stuff on the Ninja Tune comp I linked to above is all I've ever heard of him. Did you like what you got?

Could someone please explain to me why there's such fuss about Cooder's soundtrack to "Paris, Texas"? I didn't even notice the music when I watched that movie. (Didn't really care for the movie, either.)

By Gee on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 12:35 pm:

I love the name Tobin. What a great name. I have a teddy bear named Tobin. I named him after Tobin Frank.

By TBone on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 12:55 pm:

Thanks. I like my name.

Ben Tobin

Irish name... Well, my last name is.

Is it weird to know someone's real name after knowing them by another name for a long time? In my High School French class years back I was "Armand" for the whole year. When a couple of the girls who sat near me found out my real name toward the end, they said it was weird. They had always thought of me as Armand.

The Amon Tobin disk I got was alright. Apparently he also makes music under the name Kujo or something. I'll have to go down to Rockin' Rudy's and look.

By Spider on Thursday, July 20, 2000 - 06:53 pm:

*Amon Tobin's done some work with (the) Herbaliser. That's all I really know.

*Tobin's Irish? Sounds Jewish. Though we have distant family (Irish) with the last name of Golden, which also sounds Jewish. *shrugs*

*My name was Madeleine in my French class, Stella Maris in Spanish class, and Regina Coeli in Italian class. I only took French and Spanish for a year (7th grade), but I was Regina Coeli for 4. My friend Lorraine (aka Lorena) still calls me that sometimes.

By Antigone on Friday, July 21, 2000 - 03:25 am:

Hey, Kymical, if there's ever a gig at Trees that requires the special touch only a bass trombone can provide, I'm available...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact