To Mark Thomas

sorabji.com: Do you love me?: To Mark Thomas
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By O on Friday, November 6, 1998 - 10:00 am:

I don't know how recently you read "Crime and Punishment" (though I'm assuming you have, for some reason), but there is a passage in there where Svidrigaylov (the evil man in love with Dounia) explains how women fall easiest for men they want to rescue.

I'm afraid that with your sweet tales of isolation and despair you awaken this need in many people.

So, yes, Mark, we all love you.

By Agatha on Friday, November 6, 1998 - 10:58 am:

well put.

By R.C. on Friday, November 6, 1998 - 08:47 pm:

Word!

But I don't really dream of 'rescuing' him -- he's got a lot more on the ball than I have/in a lot of ways. It's more abt wanting to show him how to live in the world in a different way...

By O on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 09:02 am:

I think we've irritated him.

By Me............... on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 11:07 am:

Nah.......I doubt it....just doesn't seem to be the irritable sort. I feel a kinship with him rather than a need to 'care for' or 'mother'......

By O on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 10:33 am:

Yes! That's it! Kinship!

The first time I stumbled onto this site, I read the piece he had written about the different personalities of each of the scales on the piano, and I thought, "Ooh! I know just what he's talking about! I've thought the same thing (and b minor and f minor are my favorites)."

Then, the more of his pieces I read, the more I thought, "He's just like me! I'm just like him! This is amazing!"

But really...don't you wish sometimes you could give him a bear-hug and ruffle his hair?

By Agatha on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 01:17 pm:

i don't think he'd like that very much.

By Me.......... on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 01:24 pm:

I agree, Agatha, but tell me why YOU don't think so, please.

By Agatha on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 10:15 pm:

he's a close personal friend of mine. heehee.

By MoonUnit on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 10:59 pm:

and lets be honest here...who the hell likes having their hair ruffled?

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Sunday, November 22, 1998 - 11:28 pm:

*PJ Raises his Hand*

I do.

:-D

By ... on Monday, November 23, 1998 - 01:02 am:

it depends on the spirit in which the ruffling happens. If it's somebody trying to treat you like a kid when you're not their kid, it could be pretty annoying. Not as annoying as someone putting their hand on the back of your neck, though. I always used to hate that. Guys putting their hand on the back of your neck, because they were taller, not walking arm and arm but kind of steering you around, like they were walking an animal or something, to show that you were with them, i.e. you were theirs, at least for that date... sort of like dogs showing dominance... well at least they weren't sniffing my behind........

If your hair's looking really good, and you can tell they mussed it just to touch it, well, that could be different..........

By Agatha on Monday, November 23, 1998 - 02:13 am:

i have short hair, and i really like to have my head rubbed. almost as much as a back massage. nobody ever does it for me, though.

By Mel on Monday, November 23, 1998 - 12:46 pm:

That's a damn shame.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, November 23, 1998 - 11:39 pm:

Actually, my context was in the throws of carnal, animal, jungle passion.

That's a great time for hair mussin'!

By O on Tuesday, November 24, 1998 - 03:35 pm:

I was thinking in more of a "you are so cute I could just eat you alive" hair-ruffling, cheek-pinching, nose-kissing, rolling-around-on-the-floor context. You know, stemming from an odd, passionate burst of affection that I often feel for small children and big dogs. Not to say that Mark Thomas is like a small child or big dog -- sometimes I feel this way for grown humans, too, but they seem less receptive to such displays of warmth and fondness.

Which is a damned shame, because it's awfully hard to control myself when these moods hit.

By Carrie Ann on Monday, November 30, 1998 - 01:28 pm:

Woa there, tiger. ;) Sounds like you're about to
    burst thru your computer screen and attack Mark.

I LOVE ruffling people's hair. Well, wait I guess
    ruffling isn't the right word. I like sitting
    there and running my hands thru it and giving
    scalp massages. It's relaxing for both me and the
    receiver. I also love going to get my hair cut
    because when they're washing it and then
    cutting/styling, it almost puts me to sleep, it's
    so relaxing. Speaking of which, I think it's
    almost time for another visit. I haven't gotten a
    cut since June, after I got back from Canada.
    I've been trying to grow out this dye job (that my
    boyfriend convinced me to do, "OH, dye your hair
    black. It'll look so good!" I'm fair skinned/blue
    eye'd & have naturally auburn hair!) and my hair
    is at mid back (when it's straight, if I don't
    blow dry it, my damn spiral curls; natural & oh so
    annoying, make my hair about shoulder length).
    Maybe I'll give it another month or two before I
    let them chopchop.

By Margret on Wednesday, February 17, 1999 - 07:10 pm:

I honestly don't see how anyone could come to this site and not feel love for Mark if only that second-most gaggy pure kind of philos (which I of course infinitely respect, but most guys I know think it's some sort of shitty runner up for eros instead of the form of worship it is, the form which says: this is too good, i dare not sully it with the world...which can be used as an excuse, and sometimes is, but sometimes it's really just the hallowed space of peace and affinity one needs) for giving us all what is basically SANCTUARY? I mean, has Mark not like a loving god superseded the laws of man to declare that here, within these walls of imagination, we may have refuge?
    And though unlike "O" I'm sadly immune to that piano key personality thing, there're other parallels which somehow seem significant to me in an extraordinary way.
    Mark is fab.
    Happy belated Valentine's day, Mark.

By sarah on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:24 pm:

Mark, i care very deeply about you. thank you for this website; while it means more to me than it probably should, i am very grateful. i hope you are having a wonderful time on your road trip. i wish you were coming to austin. watch out for the tumbleweed.

By J on Monday, July 1, 2002 - 06:03 pm:

I wonder where Mark is?

By V.v. on Friday, March 5, 2004 - 08:34 am:

Watching out for tumbleweed?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact