I'm falling for you...

sorabji.com: Do you love me?: I'm falling for you...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 12:43 am:

So we've had Reese our red boxer trouble dog for about a year now, she makes me laugh and I love her to pieces. I've met loads of people with boxers and we've got a bit of a group friendship going which is awesome.

About three weeks ago I heard there was a purebred boxer in our local pound. Andrew went and a had a look, phoned me when he got back to the car, said he'd put our name down for her. She'd been there for four days - they found her wandering (no idea how long for). Four days later we brought her home...

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c76/moonit/?action=view&current=IMG_3480-1.jpg

This is Dee - as you can see she is so fucking skinny I felt sick looking at her. Today she's been living with us for two whole weeks and what a difference love and good quality food make...

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c76/moonit/?action=view&current=IMG_3577.jpg

We worried about if her and Reese would get on as boxer female/female combinations are not known to be the best, but so far so good.

She is fully trained - someone has invested a lot of time in her, walks well on the lead, and is only around a year old.

I'm falling for her... she is so snuggly, and follows Reese round the house (watching her get in trouble mostly), and is happy to just curl up on the couch and hang out (rather than run around squeaking toys like a certain red dog does).

By agatha on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 02:33 am:

Oh my gawd, she looks so much better now in your care. She looks like an absolute love. Congratulations on your new family member.

By sarah on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 12:01 pm:

oh she is so adorable! spindle, right? how did you name her Dee? or was that her name already?

she looks like a sweet girl.

do boxers shed? i love how boxers have humongous tongues, cracks me up.

did i ever tell you that my dog Leroy has a weird obsession/curiosity with boxers? when we take the dogs to the park, Leroy immediately sniffs out the nearest boxer and follows it around until it will start playing with him.

By Dougie on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 01:56 pm:

I love boxers too. Great looking dog Moonit -- I love the brindled ones. My doggie is being bad lately -- she chased a cat out of our yard yesterday and jumped the chain link fence into the neighbors'. I was outside, but hadn't realized she jumped it (she had chased the cat behind the garage). I thought she was still behind the garage, but later, she comes sauntering up the other side of the fence like nothing's out of the ordinary. I had to beat her within an inch of her life (just kidding). But I did scold her. Now the wife insists on raising the fence. Oh good, another $1000 for materials.

By kazu on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 02:58 pm:

LOOK AT THE FACE!!!

i love her

By moonit on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 11:34 pm:

Andrew named her. Dee fer dog. She is just the sweetest most well trained girl and oh so gentle, unlike reese heavypaw.

They do shed, but not like long coated dogs do. Many, uh make it ALL of my clothes have teeny tiny red hairs, but I don't mind.

By moonit on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:33 am:

Its been a whole year she's lived with us now. And while she's not as playful as the troublemaker she's hilarious in her own way. She hates to go in the rain - unless we're going for a walk. She's still skinny - but not as skinny as before. She loves people more than other dogs so we have to watch her as she tends to attack husky's and labs - but she loves her red sister and they curl up bum to bum to sleep...

By Dougie on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:22 am:

Post more pix, moonit!

Speaking of puppies, I couldn't believe what was on the tube last night. Animal Planet had something called Puppy Bowl IV, where they put a bunch of puppies in a mock football arena and let them go wild with toys and stuff. 2 full hours of it! Plus, halftime was kittens. Anybody else seen this? The puppies were adorable, but 2 hours of watching puppies run around is a little much.

By kazu on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:21 am:

By Dougie on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:33 am:

Oh, so that's something they put on against the Superbowl? I did not know that.

By moonit on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 04:01 pm:

By platypus on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 05:23 pm:

Oh, my god. The spinning thing. It is awesome.

By Spider on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 05:27 pm:

OHMYGODDOGGIES. Look at their little faces! EEEEE.

Kazu, is Henry still a puppy or is he full grown? If he ever goes missing, consider me a prime suspect.

Moonit, your dogs look like such good friends. So cute.

Man, I want a dog.

By Spider on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 05:27 pm:

OHMYGODDOGGIES. Look at their little faces!

Kazu, is Henry still a puppy or is he full grown? If he ever goes missing, consider me a prime suspect.

Moonit, your dogs look like such good friends. So cute.

Man, I want a dog.

By SpiderMan on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 05:53 pm:

Weird.

By patrick on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:11 pm:

we've been thinking about getting another pooch. chloe is going on 9, though youd never know by how active she is. eva needs to have a puppy of her own, sleeps on her bed, most loyal to her needs. there is nothing better for a child, i think.

i havent checked dogster in years...i wonder if chloe's page is still up.

By patrick on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:12 pm:

By kazu on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:37 pm:

Henry is full grown, but he has permanent puppy
    face.

By sarah on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:39 pm:

awesome video.

were you on vacation or do you live near the beach?

my leroy does that spinny thing too, when he and lulu get to wrestling and chasing each other. very funny.

By moonit on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:27 am:

Nah it was just a normal Saturday. We live 15 minutes from the nearest beach - and about 1.5 hours from the nearest mountain for skiing in winter :)

I love Henry - he is so cute!

By semillama on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 02:55 pm:

Henry just spent four days staying over with a couple and their 2 pugs while we were in Chicago. He was so exhausted from playing when we picked him up last night, he wouldn't do anything except lie flat on the couch!

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:19 pm:

What do you call that thing wrap around with cone shape thing? Why do they put that on dogs? I am curious.

By jack on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:34 pm:

it is to help dogs hear better.
    with the cone shape, they can listen in a specific direction.
    some dogs don't listen until they get the cone thing.
    then they learn.
    and listen.
    good dogs listen.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:20 am:

Oh jack, I tho it was something that the dogs do not scratch their head?

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:22 am:

Oh sorry , jack, can't they give their dogs a cochlear implant? I tho it might help them "hear".

By moonit on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 07:25 pm:

jesus. My friend paul who is english says jesus is a really funny way. and when I type it, its not going to work. I might have to somehow record him going 'jesus' so you can hear him in context of drpeppers posts.

By jack on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 08:40 pm:

oh.

pepper, stop scratching your head!

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:38 pm:

oh

jack, don't let the dog lick yer balls.

By jack on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 07:01 pm:

i'll take your word for it.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 01:58 pm:

elizabethan collar.

because elizabeth had superb hearing but also had an affinity for licking her balls.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:34 am:

licking her balls? hmm, woman do not have balls.

By Moonit on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 10:24 pm:

I have balls.

I have a swiss ball, some tennis balls, a rugby ball (more oval shaped of course)...

By semillama on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 01:29 pm:

Since patrick is absent today:

Ben Wa?

By patrick on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 07:13 pm:

Pepper if your mystified by the women and the balls and the whatnot....im not sure i can help you.

By moonit on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 01:48 pm:

SO anyway about two weeks ago we found a lump between dee's toes and thought it was a grass seed. We took her to the vet last Monday, and it turns out it was a tumour, so they shaved her foot and cut it out and then removed another lump on her chest, took out two teeth and cleaned them as well and then sent the lumps away for testing.

On tuesday they rang to say that it is mast cell cancer - we unwrapped her foot and the fucker had grown back already, so today Dee is back to the vet to get her toe amputated.

At least we caught it in time (I hope). They will send the toe away for testing too to make sure they got it all (apparently you need a 1.5cm margin or something).

my poor pound puppy.

By Spider on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:29 am:

Poor little dog. Is she able to walk around all right?

By moonit on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:29 pm:

It shouldn't affect her balance as its the one on the end. We went to see her last night and she was all drugged up; they kept her overnight so we were a one dog house and reese is very confused.

By sarah on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:59 pm:

go away and stay away, cancer!

By agatha on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:09 pm:

I've got a cancer-prone doggie, as well. Every time she grows a new tiny cyst on her lip or eye, off we go to the vet. So far it's been manageable, but it is nervewracking. I'm so sorry, Moonie. From what I know of Dee, she won't let this minor setback keep her from being a happy pup.

By Spider on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

Today I had an ultrasound to determine if I have ovarian cysts. The technician spent a long time on the left ovary, which (coincidentally? I think not) is the side on which I never feel a twinge of pain in the week or so before my period.

I actually want to be told I have cysts, just so I'll finally understand why I have a time of the season instead of a time of the month, other than just having a generally hostile reproductive system.

By platypus on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 08:56 pm:

Cancer sucks, but it sounds like they caught Dee's problem early, so hopefully she will be ok! I have a cancerous cat (it seems like an unusual high number of Sorabjiites have animals with cancer)...and he is doing fine now that the squamous cell has been removed, although he's cranky. But I think that's because he's old, not because of the cancer.

Spider, when do you get your results? And why is it that ultrasound technicians and dentists always find a problem in the part where there *isn't* any pain, and they say that the part that's painful is fine?

By Spider on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:24 pm:

I should get my results next Friday, but I'll make an appointment with my doctor in the following week to discuss the results of the ultrasound and blood tests.

I think the little twinge I feel in the ~week or so before my period is actually the sensation of ovulation, so in this case *not* feeling pain on one side really is worthy of an eyebrow-raise.

The technician also did an ultrasound of my kidneys, which neither I nor my doctor asked for. I'm not sure what that was about, and I hope my insurance covers it.

By platypus on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:02 pm:

Maybe they were having a two for one ultrasound special!

By platypus on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:03 pm:

Also, did you get pictures? I had a liver ultrasound recently and the technician said that they only really print pictures for obstetric ultrasounds, which totally crushed my hopes of sending all my friends pictures of my liver.

By Spider on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:09 am:

She took pictures, but she didn't give them to me. Maybe once my doctor's looked at them, I'll get them as a souvenir. :)

By platypus on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:27 am:

Yeah, why should pregnant ladies get all the ultrasound pix?!`

By moonit on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 04:24 pm:

I got pics of my ovaries. They send you out the scan about a month after. I shouldn't of thrown them away last month I could of put them in the weird things exchange.

Dee is a lot perkier today but hasn't eaten anything for two days. She's got her wiggle back which is a good sign.

By wisper on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 07:34 pm:

I spent this whole summer going through an ordeal with ovarian cysts. The first ultrasound was done in an ER. I could see the screen (because what does the ER care if you can see it?) so i watched the whole thing, which was cool. All i could determine was that one ovary was a small black circle and the other was much larger black circle.
    An hour later:
    doctor- "Well good news, your appendix looks fine, but did you know you have an ovarian cyst?"
    me- "What? Oh yeah, sure, i saw it at home on my personal ultrasound machine."

Good luck Spider. My summer was ass.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 - 02:25 pm:

I had my doctor's appt. today -- I have a small growth on my left ovary, but my doctor said it was nothing to worry about, and we might do another ultrasound in a few months to see if it's still there.

I also have a significant vitamin D deficiency, and have to take prescription-strength mega-doses of vitamin D once a week for the next 3 months.

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

I take 2000 IU per day, just for kicks.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 - 11:16 pm:

and get outside in the sun every day. eat raisins. practice egyptological Ra Ra Ra. so the cyst is causing the pain? drink essiac tea sometimes called ojibway tea. stop using antiseptic hand cremes, they are poisoning you.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 - 11:40 pm:

That's excellent. I've been reading about this all day, and there are several reputable studies that show that the current RDA (200 IUs for adult males) is far too low and should be more like 1000 IUs, especially for women. Vitamin D toxicity is very rare and usually a result of "industrial accident," whatever horror that could be. One study showed that taking 40,000 IUs every day has not caused health problems. You're all set. (I have to take 50,000 IUs once a week.)

The optimal Vitamin D blood serum levels are 40-50 nanograms per milliliter, adequate starts at 30 ng/mL; I was at 13 ng/mL. Rickets-level deficiency is <11. The more I learn, the more I think this could be the root of so many of my problems: depression, blood sugar irregularities, difficulty losing weight, muscle pains, worsening of my knees... Vitamin D deficiency has also been linked to higher rates of breast cancer, and higher mortality from breast cancer (as well as osteoporosis, diabetes, heart disease, and earlier mortality in general).

My doctor was telling me that it's estimated that 80% of women have Vitamin D deficiency, and at this latitude (Boston to Northern CA), we could stand outside in our underwear for an hour every day from October to April and not get enough sun exposure to produce adequate D levels. Cod liver oil, salmon, and tuna are the best food sources; vitamin supplements are probably the easiest sources for most people because who eats salmon every day? (Also, if you're deficient, OTC supplements are not enough to raise you to optimal levels.)

Consider this a public service announcement. :)

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - 02:35 am:

Spider, does st john wort curb depression? I have always rely on sun for my energy needs.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - 01:13 pm:

Hey Pepper, we ALL rely on the sun for our energy needs, ultimately. RA RA. But Spider is correct in that it is no longer enough given the toxicity of the human race: supllemtns (supplements), after good wholesome food (which you might have noticed is getting harder and harder to find) is best. Also, Spider, I know that after a certain age the body does not absorb B vitamins as it does when younger, so supplementation is vital for someone as old as I am. Standing in the sun is important for metaphysical and spiritual reason as well. And in your underwear, well, that's a few too many articles of clothing. But I digress.

If you do the tuna route, make sure you ingest white albacore tuna packed in water: highest of the omega 3 fatty acids which btw are the same fats found in the neuronal sheath around each and every one of your little nerve cells and endings. So such a diet helps curb early onset senility, altimers perhaps, and memory problems. I have been eating tuna this way, and taking omega 3 fish oils for over twenty years, simply not enough in the diet.

Is vitamin D fat soluable? If it is , toxicity can develop, unlike vit C which is water soluable and simply makes fancy colored urine if too much is ingested. And "vitamin D fortified milk" products unfortunatel have to have the vitamins added back into the product after the pastuerization process, making drinking milk for vit D and any other value like drinking white colored chalky water, which is what it really is. This coming from a guy raised on a dairy and angus beef farm.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - 06:03 pm:

Vitamin D is indeed fat soluble, but one of the problems is precisely that -- in people with a few extra pounds (or 30, like me), it's exiled to the fat and can't get around to the organs.

Toxicity is so rare because it's really hard to get even adequate amounts from supplements. You'd have to eat a bottle of supplements a day (40,000 IUs = one 400 IU pill x 100) over a long period of time to reach toxic levels. See also http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

By Karla on Thursday, February 5, 2009 - 12:03 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, February 5, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

Karla. it does not say anything about oatmeal, but it says about coconut oil to improve the alzheimer's disease....

By droopy on Thursday, February 5, 2009 - 01:57 pm:

hmm. i made a big batch of salmon croquettes on monday and that's all i've been eating all week. i guess i'm getting lots of vitamin D, but i probably have the mercury count of a thermometer. you just can't win.

thinking good thoughts about your body, spider.

By Danielssss on Thursday, February 5, 2009 - 05:19 pm:

mercury of a thermometer. Droop, I hope you are writing all this shit down, you are amazing. SO D is fat soluable, and likely not to run into toxic amounts, okay.

be careful of what the nih publishes as gospel. but what you say makes sense. does the health care person think that D will help the cyst? or is that totally a separate issue?

I also didn't realize that usually ovarian cysts are really misplaced eggs? Is that correct? the condition from what very very little I have read is quite common in pre menopausla women, yes? I've read more about testicular cysts, since A) I have those instead of ovaries and B) I've had a benign cyst for over forty years that I am aware of.

By J on Friday, February 6, 2009 - 01:18 am:

I loves salmon,I'm just sorry I was over 40 to realize you didn't have to get it out of a can.My mom made awesome salmon patties though,with creamed peas.I was also over 40 when I realized you don't pronounce the l which I did till then.I can really slay the english language.

By wisper on Friday, February 6, 2009 - 01:19 am:

"Misplaced" would be an odd term for it.
    Ovarian cysts occur when one of the follicles (that hold an egg as it develops) doesn't open as it's supposed to to release the egg that month. So the blocked follicle grows and grows and fills with fluid until it is absorbed back into the ovary or ruptures, the former being slow + achey and the latter being quick + very painful. Ovaries are the size of an almond, cysts can grow to the size of a grapefruit.

The only help for cysts is time and in some cases hormonal birth control. Surgery in extreme cases.

By Karla on Friday, February 6, 2009 - 02:20 pm:

Nonhydrogenated, extra virgin coconut oil, people. Save your brains before they turn to mush.
    Plus, you can also use it as a moisturizer.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, February 7, 2009 - 01:28 am:

Karla, where do I find Coconut oil?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact