Ballarat Ghost Town, Mojave Desert

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Ballarat Ghost Town, Mojave Desert
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Pat on Tuesday, July 14, 1998 - 04:19 pm:
    I love real ghost towns, so I visited today http://www.fieler.com/ballarat/

Ballarat Ghost Town, located in Pinamint Valley, CA somewhere in the Mojave Desert. It has links to its cemetery, town map, history, location, and a panorama, among other things.

By Spider on Thursday, April 4, 2013 - 02:47 pm:

I just spent the last hour reading this fascinating account of the search for the remains of a German family that got lost in Death Valley. Really interesting story.

Some of it is set near Ballarat. Funny that I come here to pick a random thread to post this in, and there's already a thread for Ballarat.

By Danielssss on Monday, April 8, 2013 - 12:04 pm:

Mark always has been at the forefront of social networking research applications. How are you anyway?

By Spider on Monday, April 8, 2013 - 12:19 pm:

Me or Mark?

By Dr Pepper on Monday, April 8, 2013 - 12:55 pm:

I don't know about Mark doing, I am pretty sure that he been busy lately.
    Today, I was hoping for the cloud to break off, so I can enjoy the sunshine today.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, April 9, 2013 - 11:21 pm:

sorry, meant to be asking you Spider.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 11:41 am:

I'm doing okay. A few days ago was feeling so bad I was about a degree away from making an appointment with a therapist, but then it turned out to be PMS and I feel better now. Although if PMS can make me feel that low, maybe I still need that therapist...

I presented a poster at a regional library conference two weeks ago, and it was really well-received. A coworker emailed me after the conference and said:
    [Library director] said you made him proud and that you should be doing something big time very soon! Wow. He thinks you are a gem. He went on to say, “No Govt Docs in your future…..”
    Which is pretty nice. There's a bigger conference in the fall at which I might re-present my poster, if I can figure out how to apply for it. I'm also going to start looking for a new job in the fall, since Government Documents really is not a good fit for me. Right now I'm on a post-apocalyptic fiction kick and using the threat of nuclear war with Korea as an excuse to write a library guide (compilation of resources -- in this case, government resources) on what to do in the event of a nuclear disaster, so that's how I keep busy when the department is dead (it's always dead).

I've started playing the piano again. My university has a large music department and a large music library, so I browsed the huge piano sheet music collection and picked out some piano music at random. Haydn's piano sonatas are much more engaging and delightful than I had anticipated. I play them maybe 5x as slow as they should be played, and watching Youtube videos of the masters playing them puts me to shame, but only briefly because even playing them slowly can't diminish their charm. No. 39 in D major is my favorite so far.

How are you?

By droopy on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 12:52 pm:

good to hear you're playing piano. playing music,
    physically playing music, is an act of hope and a
    nod to life. sounds corny, and in no way original or
    profound, but lately i found it's true.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 02:45 pm:

No, I'm with you completely, that's what inspired me to take it up again. I needed to be creating something, even if it was playing music someone else had written, to cancel out the destructive bullshit. Creation vs. Destruction, Eros vs. Thanatos, put down some check boxes in the column of Life for a change.

Also bought some fountain pens and penmanship books because dear God is my handwriting atrocious. Hand-writing nothing but the occasional shopping list will do that.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 02:50 pm:

that's great. about the poster and the piano. As far as nuclear terror goes, I am down in my compulsion to test radioactivity to once or twice a month and usually after a snow or rainstorm that brings a bit of the fallout down to surface, ... finding that background radiation has very much increased over the past five years, noting the my gut hasn't changed in the radiation it keeps from my childhood. Knowing that the spills across the globe are on going, and more and more lethal every day.

I am mrelieved when I can test and bought a new geiger counter last February 2012. So this spring i ordered bees, hives, and and continue testing ambiant air. Last spring the pollen was highly radioactive in St Louis and the rainwater too, although the 8 day dilution of iodine went away in the pool ( pool cover over the winter) but replaced no doubt with cesium and plutonium and other things I cannot test individually for. I stopped eating anything sourced from california, and watch my intake of sushi. I have almost -- this winter --finished a novella I didn't know I was writing, cut back on my travel and teaching, and have limited the latter to teaching meditation and some spirituality, in Wisconsin,, Delaware, Pa last year, and again in Wi and VT this spring. Taking more time for writing.

Practice is going well, very busy in fact, so the bills are getting paid and I am saving a little. For what i am not sure. I want to build a greenhouse, add a front porch, and plumb a cistern (bought several years ago, 1500 gallons,never installed) for rainwater collection. Next would be some wind power and I will be off grid, but not this year. Reading tons of books about bees and bee keeping, building related things hive stands, feeder, etc.

And lurking about the boards here, and arguing with friends in the oil industry on FB...

By Atigone on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:03 am:

Ever think that stress from worrying about radiation is hurting
    you more than radiation would? My grandfather lived to the
    ripe old age of 97 after working at Oak Ridge national lab
    where he often handled plutonium and other radioactive
    elements. (He was a nuclear chemist.)

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 10:39 am:

Antigone, is he one of the guy who helped U.S. dropped atomic bomb in Japan?

By Antigone on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 07:55 pm:

Nope. He started work at ORNL during 1948.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 08:15 pm:

Ok, I get this.

By Danielsssss on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 04:53 pm:

not stressed out at all, and... no radiation is safe radiation. There are no safe levels. Yes there are NORM levels, radon in some basements, granite on my countertops, industrial pollution including gas and oil exploration and coal mining and burning that release radiation. it's the unnecessary dumping of radioactive waste into the environment that bothers me.

You sound like the government of Japan (and England): Keep calm and carry on. Background radiation and radaition in the food chain are not things within my control. But we can hold the criminals destroying the planet accountable.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 10:49 pm:

Danielssss, I have nothing to do with this. Yeah, you can hold them liable for the criminal, however, what about the pollution that was carried to west coast from Japan, as well the radiation that was leaked from Japan nuclear plant after the tsumani? Can we hold Japanese responsible for radiation along with ocean of pollution?

By Antigone on Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 09:06 pm:

We are incapable of destroying the planet. Ourselves? Sure.
    The planet? Not likely.

By Danielsssss on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 01:52 pm:

we can make it very un liveable for our species and other species, which we are in fact doing. Doc, if you want you can duck and cover; it's not the people of japan, but the government in cahoots with TEPCO which by the way is bringing new nukes to Texas soon, if our government has its way. Wake up sheeple.

Tig, if you want to live on a cold rock without potable water, just keep keeping on.

The criminals are those in the corporate governing board rooms, the capitalist pigs of multinationals whose only motive is profit, and the corrupt and indecent media which was intended to police it all, which has, if you haven'y noticed, sold out to a few corporate monopolies.

get a life doc, get a life.

as we used to say, fuck you you ass. (that by the way was not meant for doc.) I have a right to disagree with the main stream bullshit, and so do you, if you can get your head out of your ass.

Hear hear chilrun. Hope you are having a great day.

By Antigone on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 02:20 pm:

I don't want to live on such a rock. That's why I'm a nuclear
    power advocate. :)

By Danielssss on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 04:02 pm:

try living with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SuVs-MtaqU&feature=youtu.be

NPP and all that is attached to them are the ideal control for population and the sick thing is that the PTB are killing themselves and their children. No informed person can advocate for a technology that cannot endure its own lethal waste products.

Be thankful you're not on the coast. Coming to a (broken or disabled monitoring station) near you soon.

By Danielssss on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 04:17 pm:

and a little more dancing on the wrong end of the needle:

http://enenews.com/study-150000-sq-kilometers-of-pacific-with-fukushima-nuclear-material-remarkable-amount-of-released-ocean

read thru the posts and you'll get a comment about the current head of the NRC who is a silent but deadly crook who was head of the monitoring system which weas conveniently shut down after Fukushima.

I am with the guy who who bets ten on the provocation of nuclear incident with North Korea so we have someone to blame for the increaased radiation, with the result of destabilizing China ruining a couple of west coast urban areas for millions of years, and depopulating an over developed 7 billion. Makes sense to me.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 05:34 pm:

Danielssss. I don't want have anything to do with the destructive nuclear weapon, all I wanted was to be safe. That is all. It is you that critizing and have everything in your mind and I had rather stick with Antigone. Danielssss, you need to get a life.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 09:36 pm:

B.T.W. Now,I know who Danielssss' real name :-P

By Antigone on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 02:36 am:

From the first link, 90% above background radiation is still below
    what someone living in Denver gets on a regular basis. Is everyone
    in Denver dying of cancer? (Hint: NO)

By Antigone on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 02:49 am:

If you read the study behind the second link it says the readings if
    137Cs was decreasing for the duration of the study. A direct quote:
    "We noticed that a considerable decrease in surface 137Cs levels
    took place be- tween the measurements, which were carried out
    earlier and during the KOK’2011 5 cruise." The readings were taken
    in the sea area immediately around Fukushima, and of course the
    released 137Cs would then be further diluted in the ENTIRE OCEAN.
    And the study itself says, a few paragraphs later, that eventually the
    radiation level will be indistinguishable from background.

By Spider on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 10:09 am:

B.T.W. Now,I know who Danielssss' real name :-P

Dude, quit doing IP lookups on all of us. It's creepy.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 10:17 am:

Yup, sounds creepy. So, how are things over there in Pennsylvania?

By Danielsssss fuckin radioactive rocking goat on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 11:52 am:

radiation does not get diluted friends. Doc, if you had my life you would be living in gravy, just saying.

indistinguishable from background means that the background will reframed upward until it matches that of the critical and lethal levels. 137cs is certainly a product of recent melts b/c it decays rather rapidly.

Hint: MANY many people in Denver have increased rates of various cancers.

As a MFLC I work with many deployed families and returning military, sick with radiation, beginning with Kosovo (before someone's time) and not ending with the military efforts at cpontrolling post fuku Japan.

Ask them where they got sick? Their military health records will be conveniently lost. I know this from experience.

Get your head out of your ass and smell the roses while you can, for time she be a flying.

My name is all over the internet doc, so that's no surprise. And you know what, it's my real name.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 12:33 pm:

Danielssss. I understand your concern, this is the most unfortuneately thing that the U.S. government doesn't wants you or us or all of them to know about it. In the mean times, I have the right to enjoy my life and many countries wants to poison the others, like the Russians does. You know, you can find the radiation through the black market and nuke them all for you want to.

By Antigone on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 07:20 pm:

Dude, of course radiation gets diluted. That's called
    "chemistry." Radioactive elements don't magically ignore the
    laws of physics.

If Denver residents are dying from cancer at increased rates
    then show me the numbers.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 08:19 pm:

I think Danielssss are into "Conspiracy Theories" like the movie that Mel Gibson played as the role accusing of the government doing it so.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 12:08 pm:

what you'll find is bullshit like this article from the Amer Journal of Epidi. but please note....the article is 1987--not 97, not 07 but 1987. The articles that support the cancer victims in Denver are wiped clean from the net.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/126/1/127.abstract

Ten years ago you find lots, for expample the contamination at Whidbey Island Seaplane base (Navy) that suuplied contaminants causing thyroid and other cancers THIRTY YEARS LATER ( in adults, thyroid cancer can take up to 30 years to incubate). In 2011, there was NOTHING that the government left out there in the public domain to even suggest that Whidbey Island was contanimnated, and killed servicemen and families. Every last article and report and blog had been wiped clean from the internet.

AND the medical records from military service for these servicemen and women and families were conveniently lost. Pending lawsuits against the military were dropped one by one and the problem simply went away. Except for the now contaminated water table under the island; base housing had been demolished and carted off. What a nice park we have now.

It glows in the gaddam dark. Don't get me started Pepper, you know not what you are talking about. And neither does Antigone, though I repect your opionions to differ from mine. I have first hand experience, legal experience, and as an MFLC many stories of others that our government left behind.

You want conspiracy? What about the idiotic timing of the FBi planning a bomb drill in the midst of Boston on the day of the marathon, and then of course, having the same agency investigate the horrible bombing that ensued. Wrap your head in the sand around that one.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 02:21 pm:

What about the J.F.K or O.K.C. bombing? Rumor has been saying that the lone man wasn't the only one. however,there was sighting of another man in grassy knoll who did the damn job. On the other hand,there was strange leads about the O.K.C. bombing, after all, Tim may not be the one who did the job.
    There got be a logicial reason base on what's going on with the conspiracy. Don't you dare you label us as a ignorant "young" people not knowing what's going on. I had to keep an eye behind my back. So keep your heads down.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 04:05 pm:

Daniel, I asked you about Denver because background radiation is
    higher there for NATURAL reasons. They're at a higher elevation, so
    get more natural ionizing radiation.

In possible cases like Whidbey Island, sure I can see localized
    contamination or accidents involving exposure to nuclear material
    causing cancers. But it's hardly covered up. Whidbey Island is a
    superfund site!

With your Boston comments you are really taking a flying leap into
    the deep end.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 04:08 pm:

YOu do realize that the article about Rocky Flats you linked to
    undermines your argument, right?

"The explanatory variable found to be most closely associated with
    cancer incidence was an urban factor measured by distance from
    the Colorado State Capitol located in downtown Denver. Indications
    of correlations of cancer incidence with proximity to Rocky Flats
    largely disappeared for both time periods when analyses were
    stratified by this urban factor. This negative finding was not
    surprising because persons living in the vicinity of the plant have
    been shown to have no more plutonium in their tissues than
    persons living in other areas of Colorado."

By Danielssss on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 05:50 pm:

I do because it is A) who was ever tested for plutonoium? B) the article is trash science and C) the article dates from 1987. The internet is scraped clean of anything negative regarding Denver's truth.

Doc I never call anyone ignorant or young for that matter.

Even Einstein said the the trouble with smart fuckers is that they have their heads up their asses.

Googgle is in on it. We have lost the free press.

Not gonna waste time on this any longer.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 08:23 pm:

Well, A airplane fly at the high altitude during the day time is equal to a x-ray exposure dose. I had rather fly at night time. so, on the other hand, I have many issues relating to me. There isn't much I can do about it.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 03:41 am:

Dude. You can't "scrape clean" the internet. Why is it that
    conspiracies always involve someone having god like powers?

By The Watcher on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 05:30 am:

Ok Danielssss, How are you getting the IP addresses in the first place? Then How do you look them up?

I think this would be an interesting thing to know how to do.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact